Daviess County, Missouri Genealogy Trails
History of Daviess and Gentry Counties Missouri – (Daviess County portion by John C. Leonard and Buel Leonard) – Printed by Historical Publishing Company, 1922 – Transcribed by Veneta McKinney
Rev. James McMahon was the first minister to hold religious services in Daviess County. His church was the out-of -doors, for he stood under an oak tree near the site where Robert Peniston later built the first mill in the county. This was on Aug. 25, 1830. Mr. McMahon was of the Methodist faith.
Other ministers of the same denomination were Abraham Millice, who came in 1834, and who organized a church at Jonathan Liggett's residence in Salem Township in 1839 ; George Waugh, who preached the first sermon in Benton Township in 1834 ; Isaac Burns, J. T. V. Duberry, J. Barker and Thomas Ellington. Most of these belonged to the now extinct type known as ''circuit riders". The following account of the activities of the pioneer circuit rider is given by the late John F. Jordin :
"The circuit rider followed close upon the heels of the early settlers, and was always a welcome guest in the log cabins of our fathers. He was usually a man of little learning, but unbounded zeal ; a man with an easy conscience and a good digestion. He travelled from one settlement to another on horseback, carrying a pair of huge saddle-bags, which contained a few articles of clothing, a Bible, and tracts on various religious subjects, thus combining the offices of preacher and colporteur. He .was moved by an honest desire to be useful and helpful to his fellowmen, and although he asked for nothing beyond the means of subsistence, he gave freely of all that he possessed. It mattered little whether he was called upon to perform a marriage ceremony, preach a funeral, assist at a log-rolling or take up a corner at a house-raising, he waited for no second invitation, but just sailed in and did his level best. He knew his people and kept in touch with them. But he never lost caste by assisting in heavy work. Always he was a preacher and was respected and venerated as a man set apart for God's work. If he assisted at a house-raising or any kind of work on which a number of men were engaged, he generally made it a condition precedent that if he helped them work through the day they were to come at night to some cabin in the neighborhood and hear him preach. And thus did the circuit-rider "Become all things to all men, that by all means he might save some".
The second preacher in the county was a Baptist, the Rev. William Michaels. He held services at the home of a Mr. Atkinson and in several other homes. In 1840 he organized the Pilot Grove Baptist Church. Rev. Jonathan Smith was another pioneer minister of this denomination. He settled in Washington Township in 1840, and for many years was a most valued worker.
Probably the first Presbyterian to preach in the county was the Rev. Robert Morgan. His first services were held at the home of Robert Miller.
Elder George Flint preached for the members of the Christian Church some time in the forties. Other early ministers of this faith who held religious services in the county were Dr. Jourdan, of Chillicothe, Missouri, John H. Ballinger, David T. Wright and Joseph Davis.
The first church services were usually held in the cabins of the settlers or out of doors, when the weather permitted. Sometimes a tobacco barn served as a church. Before long, however, there was a general desire for special church buildings. Usually these were very crude structures, at least when compared with the churches of today. Typical of the church of the early days was the old Lick Fork Baptist church.
THE CAMP MEETING
To the pioneer the camp meeting was an event to be looked forward to throughout the whole year. They were usually held in the late summer after the crops were laid by. Rude cabins and tents were erected and a small city flourished for the few weeks of the meeting. Socially it meant as much to the early settlers as it did religiously.
Probably the first camp meeting in the Grand River country were held on the Kessler farm in Livingston County. The date of the first one is not known but it was prior to 1839. A spring furnished abundant water for the campers. Many Daviess countians attended these meetings annually.
In 1855 the meeting place was changed to the James Callison farm a short distance northwest of Jamesport. It was an ideal spot for a camp meeting. A beautiful grove of white oak trees furnished abundant shade and a large spring nearby assured a supply of water. Because of its nearness to town few cabins were erected there, but some tents were put up. The last meeting on this ground was in August and September, 1857, which ended in a free-for-all fight. There were no saloons near and the neighboring landowners refused to let anything be sold on their land without consent of the managers of the meeting. Because he was refused a license to sell cider and cakes, one man became so incensed that he bought a barrel of Bourbon and established what was then called a "Texas" on nearby railroad land. One of the patrons of this establishment was arrested at the camp meeting and his comrades came down to rescue him, but found that the Methodists were quite vigorous in the use of clubs and fists.
As hymn books were scarce, the hymns were usually "lined", that is, the preacher read a couple of lines and these were then sung by the congregation. This, of course, took some time, but time was no particular item at a church service then. Neither did they sing the first second and last stnazas of a hymn - the whole song was sung regardless of the number of stanzas. Among the favorites were, "How Tedious and Tasteless the Hour," "Rock of Ages," and "Oh, Tell Me, Happy Sailor." Musical instruments were unknown in the early days, in fact, were generally regarded with disfavor, if not with actual animosity.
Sermons were also long. Doctrinal sermons were heard much more frequently than today. The horrors of the hereafter were dwelt frequently upon, and in the words of Billy Sunday, the hereafter pictured in sermons today is a regular summer resort compared to that depicted in the sermons of the early days. Mr. Jordin gives a vivid picture of one of these sermons delivered by a Presbyterian divine, William Houston, who, he said, impressed him more than any preacher he ever heard.
"I remember of listening to Houston preach one night from the words : 'Ephriam is a cake not turned. Strangers have devoured his strength and he knoweth it not. Yea, gray hairs are here and there upon him, yet he knoweth it not.' He must have spoken for at least two hours. It was one of the most terrific arraignments of the world, the flesh and the devil that I ever listened to. Nor was his preaching ineffective. I saw one night 21 new converts who had come into the fold under his preaching stand up to testify as to what the Lord had done for them. It was an indescribable scene and one long to be remembered by those who witnessed it."
There is some difference of opinion as to the date of the organization of the Gallatin Congregational church. Judge J. T. Day gives the date as May 5, 1866. The history of Daviess County, published in 1882, places the date at May 6, 1876. The meeting at which the organization was perfected was held in the court house. The Rev. O. A. Thomas of Richmond preached in the morning, and Rev. B. Turner of Hannibal in the evening. The membership was so small that the congregation soon disbanded. No church building was erected.
Only one church of the Catholic faith has ever been built in Daviess County. This church was situated a short distance from old Bancroft. It was dedicated June 28, 1878, by the Right Rev. Bishop Hogan, assisted by Revs. Kennedy and O'Leary. The church had only a few members, but it was hoped that a strong church would be built up. The congregation is no longer in existence, those who remain in its membership attending the church at Oilman.
For many years the Catholic church owned a lot in Gallatin. As time went on and there was not enough people of that faith in the vicinity to justify the building of a church, the lot was finally donated to- the city of Gallatin to become a part of Dockery Park.
The Altamont Christian Church was organized in 1890. It has a membership of 110. and a Bible School enrollment of 80. The value of the church building is $2500.
Soon after the Civil War a church of this denomination was established at Carlow. It has a membership of 75, and its church property is valued at $2,000.
The Christian church at Civil Bend was organized in February, 1868. A church building was errected in 1872. The church has a membership of 125, and a Sunday School with an enrollment of about 100. The church property is valued at $2,500. Elisha Frost, Barney Shriver and George Roberts are among its leading members.
The Coffey Christian church was organized about 1890. On its membership books are 125 names, and the Bible School has an enrollment of about 70.
The Christian church of Gallatin was organized in June, 1843, with 41 charter members. Services were held in the court house until the war, when that building was taken over by the militia. The congregation then worshipped in the Methodist and Cumberland Presbyterian churches. The church went down during the war, and was reorganized in 1865, with 23 members. In 1866 a large frame church costing some $4,000 was erected across the street and a little north of the present church. In 1898 the church now used was erected, a commodious basement being added in 1921, making it of the total value of about $15,000. The total membership of the church is 512, with a Bible School enrollment of 450. The pastor is W. H. Funderburk, and among its officials are W. C. Gillihan, Joshua W. Alexander, Howard Poage, A. H. Pettijohn and John Reid.
March 24, 1872, is given as the date of the organization of the Jamesson Christian church. A church was first erected in 1875 at a cost of some $800. The membership has now reached 100 to 125 members, with a Sunday School enrollment of between 90 and 100. The value of the church property is $4,000.
The Jamesport Church of Christ was organized in 1868 or 1869. For a time they held services in the Methodist Episcopal Church South. They now have a large frame church valued at about $2,000. The membership of the church is 100, with a Bible School enrollment of 90.
Old Union church was built by several denominations, and is open to all. The Christian church has an interest in the church. A union Sunday School is maintained. The church property is valued at $1,200.
One of the earliest Christian churches in the county is the Clear Creek church. It was organized before the Civil War. No report is made from church in the 1921 yearbook. The church property is valued at $1,200.
The Lock Springs congregation was organized in 1875, though an organization had been effected prior to this time. Among the leaders of the earlier organization were G. L. Ballinger, William Eads and Hiram Poe. The church now has a membership of 75, with a Sunday School enrolling about the same number. The church is valued at $2,500.
The Madison Square church was organized about 1870, and some years later a church building erected, now valued at about $200. It has a membership of 75, and a Sunday School enrollment of 60.
The second largest Christian church in the county is at Pattonsburg. It was organized about 1872, though prior to the war there had been a prosperous congregation. A frame church was erected, but this was badly damaged by the floods of 1909, and a new church built, being dedicated in June, 1914. The property is now valued at $20,000. The church enrollment is 217, and the Sunday School enrollment 230. There is also an organization of the C. W. B. M.
Prairie City Christian church was established in 1897. It has a church building valued at about $1,500, and a membership of 125. Its Bible School enrollment is about 65.
Whitefield church, organized in 1880. A church building was started the same year. The membership is now between 50 and 75. The church has no organization now.
Splawn Ridge church near Gallatin was organized about 1904, and a church built the same year, which is valued at from $1,200 to $1,500. There are about 35 members.
Scotland Church of Christ, formerly known as Pilot Grove, is located in Washington Township and was established in 1856. The church now has a membership of 200, and a church building valued at $2,500.
Oak Ridge Christian church was organized in 1876, but did not have a church building until 1871. There were 28 charter members. The building is valued at $1,200. The enrollment of the church is 50 and of the Sunday School, 40.
The pastors of this denomination, as listed in the 1921 Yearbook, are Charles P. Murphy, Altamont; Earl Stark, Civil Bend and Pattonburg; Z. Mitchell, Madison Square and Coffey ; W. H. Funderburk, Gallatin ; H. H. Tinsley, Lock Springs ; and C. E. Hunt, Whitefield.
As far back as 1868, an Evangelical Church was located in School District No. 1, in Colfax Township. In the fall of 1879, it was decided to build a church in Winston. A brick church 32x44 feet was erected. The congregation was largely made up of Pennsylvania Germans, among them the Triems. In 1882 the church had a membership of 50. As time passed the membership dwindled and in 1918 the few remaining members reluctantly decided to disband. The church has now been torn down and a residence occupies the church site.
The Baptist churches of Daviess County, together with four Harrison County churches are organized into the Daviess County Baptist Association. The officers are, O. E. Turner, Moderator; S. W. Brandom, Secretary ; and A. R. Graham, Treasurer. The 20th annual meeting was held in Pattonsburg, Sept. 10, 11, 1921. The statistics below are from that report.
The Altamont church, the youngest in the county, was organized in 1900. It has a membership of 37 and a Sunday School enrollment of 33. The church is free from indebtedness and is valued at $1,500. Clerk, Elva Cole. Pastor, Dan R. Gott.
A church was organized at Coffey in 1888. The church property is valued at $6,500, but there is a debt upon it of about $400. There are 148 members of the church, and 45 enrolled in Sunday School. Pastor, W. A. Hyde. Clerk, Miss Eileen Lowe.
The Crab Orchard Baptist church was originally called the South Big Creek church, and under this name was organized by Elder Benjamin Smith and Deacon Samuel Penn on Dec. 5, 1846. There were eight charter members. On the first Sunday in April, 1860, the congregation unanimously decided to change the name to Crab Orchard. B, F. Kenney was the pastor at that time. The present church house was erected in 1860, and is valued at $1,200. The membership is about 40. Clerk, Mrs. Hattie Adams .
Three Baptist churches have been organized in Gallatin. Of the first nothing can be learned. The next one was organized in 1855 by Elders R. C. Hill and Franklin Graves. Meetings were held over a store where the postoffice now is. R. C. Hill was the first pastor and was succeeded in 1857 by B. F. Kenney. Arrangements for building a church were begun but the war made it necessary to disband. Mr. Kenney continued to preach there as often as possible and in 1870, Kenney Chapel Baptist church was organized. Meetings were held in the Cumberland Presbyterian church until the completion of the Baptist church which was located one block north of the northwest corner of the public square. In 1905, the congregation began making plans for a new church, work, however, not beginning until 1910. The church was formerly dedicated June 4, 1911. A home for the pastor was purchased in 1914. The value of the church property is estimated at $17,400. The present membership, 245. Sunday School enrollment, 225. Pastor, R. F. Judson. Clerk, A. R. Maffitt.
Grand River Baptist church, the oldest of the denomination, and the first or second of any denomination, in the county, was organized Dec. 14, 1833. For years they worshiped in a log school house. The first church was erected in 1864. A few years ago a new building was put up, and is valued at $3,000. There are now 109 members of the church and the Sunday School enrollment is 50. Pastor, B. Venable. Clerk, Virgil Jenkins.
Hickory Creek church, located in Washington Township, was erected in 1869 by a stock company formed of those in the neighborhood interested in having a church in the community. The church cost $1,700. A board of trustees was elected, and the first board was comprised of Gabriel Feurt, J. C. Glaze and William Grant. The first pastors in charge were J. L. Netherton for the Baptists, and J. H. Tharp for the Presbyterians. The church is now inactive. The Baptists report 25 members. Grit Feurt is the clerk.
The Jameson church was organized in 1892. Although one of the newest churches, it has the second largest membership of any Baptist church in the county - 189. The Sunday School enrollment is 117. A Woman's Missionary Society and Young Women's Auxiliary are maintained. Pastor, C. W. Kent. Clerk, F. L. Scott. The value of the church property is $5000.
The church at Jamesport was established in 1867. For some time services were held in the Methodist church. About 1882 a church house was erected. Many improvements have been made, and the property is now valued at $3,500. It has 87 members, and 85 in the Sunday School. Mrs. Dan R. Gott is president of the Ladies Aid Society. Pastor, Dan R. Gott. Clerk, Miss Jennie Harrah.
Lick Fork, in Harrison Township, is the largest rural Baptist church in the county. It has a membership of 186, and a Sunday School enrollment of 23. A women's missionary society is also maintained. It was organized in 1867 or 1869, with nine members. A church was built in 1871. The pastor is Ellwood James, and Clarence Dewey is clerk.
The Rev. B. F. Kenney and the Rev. Mr. Black assisted in organizing the church in Sheridan Township in July, 1858. The church building is valued at $1,200. The congregation numbers 37 members, and the Sunday School enrolls 30. W. M. Bristow is clerk.
New Salem church is in the southwest corner of Jefferson Township. It was organized in 1846 and was formerly known at Victoria church. It was then one of the most. prominent churches in the county, but its membership has now declined to 30. The church is valued at $1,200. Joseph Coin is clerk.
Olive church was organized in 1872. The church property is valued at $1,500. There are 65 members and 34 are enrolled in the Sunday School. The pastor is Lewis Clark, and the clerk is Otto Critten.
A church was established at Pattonsburg in 1881. A church building was erected in that year at a cost of $1,500. The church now used is valued at $7,500. The membership is 154, and the Sunday School enrollment, 159. A Women's Missionary Society and Ladies Aid Society are maintained by the members. The pastor is J. W. Trower, and A. J. Coffey, is clerk.
In 1880, the Rev. Joseph Wood organized a church in Lincoln Township, three miles south of old Bancroft. For a time it was called for the organizer, but the name has been changed to Pilot Grove church. There are now 51 members, and 40 are enrolled in the Sunday School. The church is valued at $1,200. Richard Griffith is clerk.
Pilot Grove Church No. 2, was organized in 1886. It has 83 members, the Sunday School enrolling 27. The church building is valued at $3,000. W. E. Kaufman is pastor and A. L. Mann is clerk.
Pleasant Ridge church has a membership of 83 and a Sunday School enrollment of 59. The church property is valued at $1,200. Lillie Weldon is clerk.
Union Grove church was organized in 1886. The church has an enenrollment of 59. The church property is valued at $1,200. Lillie Weldon is clerk.
The Winston church has a membership of 128, and the Sunday School has an enrollment of 100. Mrs. V. C. Huffman is president of the Ladies Aid Society. A. B. Brown is pastor, and Cora McWilliams, clerk. The church property is valued at $3,000.
In addition to Baptist churches, which are members of the Daviess County Baptist Association, this denomination holds an interest in Old Union church which is owned jointly by the Christian and Baptist churches. Services are no longer held there regularly. Hickory Creek church, now inactive, was owned by the Baptists and Presbyterians.
The Old School Baptists established a church in Lincoln Township in 1859. Rev. James M. Ward was the first pastor. The church is still active.
Another church of this denomination was organized in 1850 in Colfax Township.
There are two Free Will Baptist churches in the county - the Muddy (Philadelphia) Free Will Baptist church and the Center Point Free Will Baptist church. Both are in the northern part of the county.
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
There are in the county six Methodist Episcopal churches forming a part of the Cameron District.
Altamont Methodist church has a church building valued at $4,000. It has 169 full and 12 preparatory members. The pastor is W. T. Cline. The church at Mabel is part of the Altamont charge.
F. A. Tinney is pastor of the churches at Coffey and Oilman. The two charges have a membership of 231, and a Sunday School enrollment of 233. The two churches are valued at $9,500.
The church at Civil Bend was organized in 1865 through the efforts of Rev David Heath. There were about 15 charter members. A frame church was built in 1868, costing about $1,500. A parsonage was also erected.
The Jamesport church was organized in 1869, with a membership of 25. The first church building was put up in 1871 and dedicated by Rev. Oscar Deshles. It was a frame building, and an addition was added in 1883. In 1903 a new lot was purchased a block from the business section of the town and on it was erected a brick building valued at about $12,000. An addition was added the past summer. The church now has about 286 members with a Sunday School enrollment of 315 and an average attendance of 139. The pastor is A. S. Olsen.
The church was established at Winston in 1874 under the direction of Rev. H. S. Barnes. The following year a frame church building was begun but was not completed until 1876. The membership is now 320, with a Sunday School enrollment of 268. The pastor is Rev. C. H. Ragsdale. The church property is valued at $10,000, the parsonage at $2,000.
The first Methodist church at Pattonsburg was built in 1882. Before it was entirely completed it was sold to the Christian church. A congregation had been organized some time before this date. Services were held in the Baptist church until the building of the Methodist church in 1887. This church was a frame structure valued at about $1,200. The pastor lived at Jameson until about 1886, when a parsonage was built at Pattonsburg. The first pastor to occupy this home was Rev. Hunt, and the church was begun during his pastorate. Rev. S. B. Tabor was pastor at the time of its completion. It was dedicated by Bishop Hendricks, January, 1888. This church was used until after the floods of 1909, after which a large and commodious church was built, which is valued at $25,000. The parsonage is valued at $4,000. The membership of the church is now 312, of the Sunday School, 225. The Women's Missionary Society, 21. The pastor is K. T. Davis.
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, SOUTH
The Gallatin church was organized in 1832, but the records prior to 1839 have been lost. It was probably included in a circuit, and the latter date is usually given as the date of organization. There was neither church nor school house in the county before 1835. The first preaching of any denomination in the county was held at the cabin of Hardin Stone by the Rev. Hardin Ellington about 1833. The first regular pastor was Rev. Abraham Millice in 1839 and 1840. In 1859 a frame church was erected at a cost of about $1,500, and was dedicated by Rev. E. K. Miller. This building was replaced in 1886 by another frame structure at a cost of $3,500. It was dedicated by Rev. John D. Vincil. The last service was held in this church July 28, 1912, The new building, valued at $35,000, was dedicated in January, 1913, by Dr. W. F. McMurray. The church has a membership of 384. The first Sunday School in the county was organized in this church in 1850, with Judge John D. Coulson as superintendent. The enrollment is now 250. A Ladies Aid Society and Woman's Missionary Society are maintained. A parsonage valued at $4,000 is owned by the church. The pastor. Rev. S. E. Hoover, also preaches at Centenary twice a month.
Centenary was organized in 1882 by Rev, Atterbury. There were only seven members at this time. Uncle Davis Van Dyke and six ladies. They collected money and material and built a church, which was dedicated by Rev. R. H. Cooper in 1883. This church was in a thriving condition for years as at one time they had as many as 250 members. Of late years many have moved their membership to Gallatin and towns nearby, so that only about 50 members are left. Sunday School is held during the summer months, E. G, Knight, being superintendent.
Wesley Chapel, three miles north of Pattonsburg, was originally a North Methodist church. About 25 years ago. Bethel and Ellis Chapel united and remodeled Wesley Chapel. It has since been of the Methodist church, South. The church is valued at about $3,000. There is a membership of about 40.
The Methodist Episcopal church. South, at Jamesport, was built in 1879, at a cost of $1,500. It was dedicated by the Rev. E. R, Hendricks. In 1882 the church had a membership of 26, which has increased to 226 at the present time. It has a Sunday School enrollment of about 300. The church has been remodelled and an addition built, the structure now being valued at $5,000. A parsonage is located about three blocks from the church. C. L, Green is the pastor.
The Lock Springs church was organized in 1865. The names of only four of the original members are known - Mr. and Mrs. J. P. Drummond, and John and James Brown. A building was soon erected. In 1882 the church had a membership of over 200. The church is now on the Lock Springs circuit, composed of Lock Springs, Mt. Olive, Spring Hill and Central Chapel, the last three being in Livingston County. The churches of the circuit have a total membership of 436. The four churches are valued at $8,000. A parsonage, valued at $1,500, is owned by the churches. The pastor is F. G. Seyforth.
In the early eighties a revival meeting was held at the old Honey Creek school house, now known as the Shiner school house. As a result of the meeting it was decided to build a church in the vicinity. Through the personal efforts of Wes. Woods and other prominent citizens, funds were secured. Most of the work on the building was done by the members. The church Monroe Chapel was dedicated in 1889 by Willis E. Dockery. For a time the congregation flourished, but now the major portion of the original members have died, others have moved away, and the motor cars have placed the remaining members in closer touch with the Gallatin church. In 1921, the church disbanded and the building was sold.
The first church to be built in Jamesport Township was Ketron Chapel, erected in 1858 or 1859 at a cost of $750. It was a frame building 46 by 56 feet. It was named for William Ketron, a prominent minister. A few years later this church was sold and a new church erected some distance away. The new church was built in 1879 at a cost of $1,000, and was dedicated by Rev. John D. Vincil. Since that time the church has been thoroly
remodeled. Prior to the erection of the church building, a Methodist congregation had existed in this community, which had held services regularly since 1838. In 1842 a class was organized with Isaac Jordin as leader. The first minister was Rev. Reuben Aldridge, who preached for this congregation in 1838.
The church known as White Oak was organized in 1866 by Rev. J. F. Shores, and for four years services were held in a school house. In 1870, a church was built about one-half mile south of Jameson at a cost of $1,500. For a number of years Harold L. Yates was superintendent of the Sunday School. The church was destroyed by fire in 1874.
The same year the principal members of White Oak Chapel organized the Jameson church, and a building was erected, costing when completed about $1,800. The church maintains a Sunday School of over 150 members and a Women's Missionary Society. The Jameson, Wesley Chapel and Ketron churches now form the Jameson circuit, of which Rev. A. Snowden is pastor. The three churches have a membership of 125. A parsonage valued at $2,000 is owned by the churches.
There are at present five Presbyterian churches in Daviess County, Gallatin, Bethel, Prairie, Grand River and Lock Springs. They form a part of the Presbytery of McGee.
The Gallatin church was formed by the union of the First Presbyterian and Cumberland Presbyterian churches in 1905.
The Cumberland Presbyterian church was organized on Dec. 24, 1857, under the direction of Rev. W. D. Mahan. The following year a church was built at a cost of $1,200. The present church was built in 1892 at a cost of $7,000.
The First Presbyterian church was organized April 29, 1871. A frame building was erected on the lot now occupied by the Virgil Wynne residence. The church had a devoted, but never a large membership. In May, 1905, at a congregational meeting, it was voted to unite with the Cumberland Presbyterian church.
The church now has an enrollment of 118, the Sunday School of 115, and the Women's Missionary Society of 35. A manse is owned by the church and is located on a lot adjoining the church building. For nine years the Rev. J. H. Tharp was pastor of this church, also preaching in a number of other churches in the county. The pastor at present is C. W. Smith.
Bethel church dates its origin back to 1860. On April 26 of that year, a group of Presbyterians effected an organization at the Goodbar School house under the leadership of the Rev. J. W. French. Owing to the Civil War the congregation soon became discouraged. After the close of the war, there was an attempt to get the congregation together, but it was not fully reorganized until 1871. A church building was then begun and completed the following year at a cost of $2,126. When the two Presbyterian churches united, the Hopewell congregation was added to the Bethel congregation. The membership of the church now numbers 20.
Old Harmony church, northeast of Carlow, was built in 1869. In 1887 Prairie Valley church was built by the members of old Harmony and the old church was abandoned. The church now has a membership of 60, and a Sunday School enrollment of 50. The pastor is Rev. L. E. Brown.
In 1913, the Bethel and Prairie Valley churches purchased a tract of land at Blake and erected a most attractive manse.
Grand River church was erected a number of years ago. The congregation has gradually become scattered and at the last report to the General Assembly, it had only two members. In 1921 the McGee Presbytery appointed the Rev. C. W. Smith and Elder J. A. Selby a special committee to investigate the condition of the church and report what steps should be taken regarding it.
The church at Lock Springs was organized in 1860. The first pastor was Rev. John French. This congregation is now the largest of the Presbyterian denomination in the county, having a membership of 186, and a Sunday School enrollment of about 100. A manse is owned by the church. T. M. Click is the pastor.
SEVENTH DAY ADVENTISTS
The Seventh Day Adventists have one church in the county which is located in Jefferson Township. The leading member of the original congregation was Joseph H. Mallory. Desiring a church of his own faith near his home, he and with the other members of the congregation selected a site on his farm and work was immediately begun on a church which was completed in 1885. Seven years later Mr. Mallory and his wife conveyed the land upon which the church was situated to the Seventh Day Adventists General Conference Association. Some years later it was discovered that the land was not correctly described, and a suit is now pending to determine the title of the church site.
All data on this websites is © Copyright 2008 by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original contributor.