George F. Brown. One of the industries which has a direct bearing upon the growth and up building of a community is that which deals with its lumber interests, in the handling of which some of the most substantial business men have found the medium through which to achieve success. George F. Brown has been identified with the lumber business at Maysville since 1893, and has built up a flourishing enterprise through his ability and good judgment, so that today he is justly accounted one of the substantial men of his section of Northwest Missouri. He has also interested himself in those things which have contributed to the welfare of the community in which he has lived so long, and his abilities have been recognized by his fellow-citizens who have elected him to positions of importance, his public service having included four years in the office of treasurer of De Kalb County.
Mr. Brown was born in Cedar County, Iowa, October 23, 1854, and is a son of James H. and Mary A. (Hathaway) Brown. His father brought the family to De Kalb County, Missouri, in 1856 and resided here until 1874, in which year he went to Colorado and there passed away four years later. While a resident of Missouri he was engaged extensively in farming, and was known as one of the substantial agriculturists of Grant Township. Of his six children, four are now living: Nancy J., who became the wife of John Groom, of Colorado; Mariemna, who is the wife of Samuel Ackley, of De Kalb County; Elizabeth, who is the wife of J. W. Parmer, of Gentry County; and George F.
George F. Brown was two years of age when brought to Missouri by his parents, and here he received his education in the district schools of De Kalb County, which he attended during the winter months, his summers being passed in work on the home farm in Grant Township. As a young man he went to the Rocky Mountains, where for five years he was engaged in the timber business, and during this time was able to accumulate some small capital. With this he engaged in the business of feeding cattle, in 1881 and 1882, being associated with his uncle, near Fairport, and following this embarked in this industry on his own account on a rented farm, where he also raised several crops. About this time, December 25, 1884, Mr. Brown founded a home, when he was married to Miss H. S. Van Meter, who was born and reared in Ohio and came to De Kalb County, Missouri, in 1881. Two children were born to this union: Mary M., who is a graduate of Maysville High School and now a student of Cameron College; and James L., a graduate of Maysville High School, who was for two years a student at Columbia University and is now engaged in the lumber business with his father.
After his marriage, Mr. Brown purchased 127 acres of land and for the following nine years was engaged in farming, but in 1893 sold his interests and came to Maysville, here going into the hardware and timber business, in which he continued until 1901. In that year he purchased the entire yard at Maysville and conducted it alone until 1907, when he sold a half interest to Mr. Savage, but in 1912 bought this again and has since continued in the business alone. He is a man of excellent business ability whose success has been gained through his own efforts and untiring perseverance, and while he has Worked hard in his own behalf has not neglected the needs of his community. He has given evidence of his faith in the future welfare and progress of Maysville by investing his capital in real estate, and in all his transactions has been found reliable and trustworthy. Fraternally, Mr. Brown is affiliated with Parrott Lodge No. 308, F. & A. M., Russell Chapter No. 77, R. A. M., and Fairport Lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. With his family he attends the Methodist Episcopal Church and is a member of the official board thereof.
When Mr. Brown announced his candidacy on the republican ticket for the office of county treasurer of De Kalb County, in 1902, there had not been a republican in that office for twenty-six years, but his popularity was such that after a strenuous campaign he won the election by a majority of twenty-seven votes and took office April 1, 1903. His services were of such a character as to win the entire commendation of the public, and when he again became a candidate, two years later, he was given a majority of 387 votes. He proved to be one of the best treasurers De Kalb County has had, and a proof of his absolute honesty was given when, at the end of his term of office, he turned over to the treasury of the people $3,265 more than was demanded of him. In business, public and social life, Mr. Brown continues to hold the friendship and good will of the people of his locality, and it is the unanimous opinion of those who know him best that Maysville has not a better or more public spirited citizen.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]
DR. J. C. BYNUM; a prominent and successful physician and surgeon of Stewartsville, is a native of Alabama, having been born in DeKalb County, on the 6th of December, 1847. In 1850, he was brought by his parents to Missouri, they locating near St. Joseph, in Buchanan County, where he remained until the following October. He then moved to Ripley, Mississippi, made his home there for one year, and soon after returned to St. Joseph. He was educated in the common schools of this district, afterwards supplementing it by a course in the college of Springfield, Missouri. For some time he lived in the country, six miles east of St. Joseph, and in the spring of 1856, went to Texas. Upon his return, he located at Springfield, Missouri, in the spring of 1857, and in 1858, again moved to Buchanan County. In 1866, Dr. Bynum took a trip, the second time, to Texas, returning to Clinton County in 1867. Having made choice of the practice of medicine as his profession, he commenced its study in 1867, under the tutorship of Dr. P. H. Hereford, of Easton. He was an attendant of lectures at the St. Louis Medical College, for one full course and a part of another. In October, 1868, he commenced the practice of his chosen profession in Buchanan county, there continuing until January, 1876, when he moved to Clinton County. Dr. Bynum further fitted himself for his calling, by attending the St. Joseph College of Physicians and Surgeons, during the session of 1879-80, graduating at its close. In the fall of 188o,'he located at Stewartsville, where he has since continued to practice, and with no small degree of success. He makes a specialty of the diseases of women. Dr. Bynum found a wife in the person of Miss Bettie Whitson, whom he married June 5, 1873. Mrs. B. is a native of Buchanan County, Missouri, and was born September 14, 1853. They have two children: Ella, born at Matney Mills, June 20, 1875, and John C, born at Starfield, August 17, 1877. In the spring of 1873, Dr. B. joined Agency Lodge No. 10. He was exalted to the Royal Arch degree, in Russell Royal Arch Chapter No. 11, in the fall of 1881.
(Source: The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)