B. F. WHITE; of the firm of B. F. White & Son, dealers in hardware, stoves, tin ware, groceries, etc., is a native of Illinois, and was born in Fulton County, December 10, 1838. He was reared in the town of Canton, of that county, and was there educated, learning the tanner's trade in Abington, Knox County, where he worked until February, 1860, when he came to Stewartsville. He is now one of the oldest citizens of the town. Financially, he was below par on his arrival in Stewartsville but now has the most extensive hardware and grocery store in DeKalb County. He has figured conspicuously in the official positions of the town. He was married, January 24, 1861, to Miss A. M. Laffoon. She was born in Clay County, Missouri, July 18, 1839. She was reared in her native county, and came to Stewartsville in the year 1860. They have one child, R. M., born March 3, 1863. Mr. and Mrs. White are members of the M. E. Church. He was the first male member of the church in the town.
(Source: The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)
Isaac R. Williams has been a member of the Savannah bar forty years. Combined with the strict interests of his profession, he has been engaged in business affairs, particularly in real estate, and a common saying among his associates that throws light on his activities is that he has earned more money than any man in Savannah, and yet has less than many whose success has been on a moderate scale. Mr. Williams has always spent liberally, has entered heartily into many projects and plans proposed for business and civic improvements, and enjoys a reputation based on integrity and the best qualities of citizenship.
Isaac R. Williams was born in DeKalb County, Missouri, October 1, mid thus represents a family of old settlers in Northwest Missouri until his death on May 1, 1906, at the advanced age of eighty-three. His first wife, the mother of Isaac R., died when the latter was an infant. The father spent most of his life in farming, and was also prominently identified with public affairs. He served as a member of the County Court from 1851 until the outbreak of the war, and held the same office after the war and throughout his career was active in behalf of the Democratic Party. In religion he was a Universalist.
Isaac R. Williams is the only one living of the four children by his mother, and has two half-brothers. His early life was spent on the home farm, midway between Savannah and Maryville, and his education was acquired partly in the country schools with the freshman year at McGee's College. At the age of twenty-one he entered the law office of David Rea at Savannah, and was admitted to the bar in 1874. Since then he has been in very active general practice of the law, and is now one of the oldest members of the Andrew County bar. On March 1, 1887, he formed a partnership with Charles F. Booher, and for more than a quarter of a century the firm of Booher & Williams has had a recognized standing among the old and successful law firms of Northwest Missouri. Since the election of Mr. Booher to Congress eight years ago, his son, L. W. Booher, has assumed most of his responsibilities and work in the firm, but the title of the partnership remains the same as formerly. For the past twenty-eight years Mr. Williams has been financial correspondent for a number of eastern investors, and much of his time has been taken up with his extensive transactions in real estate and as an abstractor.
He is a member of the St. Joseph Commercial Club, and in 1888 was one of the promoters of a street railway in that city. He has been identified with many business interests at Savannah and vicinity, and has always accepted the responsibilities of citizenship. For nearly a quarter of a century Mr. Williams served as mayor of Savannah. He has been a democrat since casting his first vote, and though his party was in a hopeless minority in Andrew County for many years, he accepted a place on the ticket in 1878 as candidate for prosecuting attorney and in 1892 for the Legislature, making the campaigns in order to keep up the party organization. For many years he has been an active member of the Christian Church.
On December 24, 1876, Mr. Williams married Miss Emma Frances, who died May 16, 1913. Their daughter, Lily, is the wife of Dr. C. E. Rainwater, Ph. D., who is identified with the University of Chicago, and both he and his wife hold the degree A. M. from Drake University of Iowa.
[Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pg. 1374-1375; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Robert C. Woodward. Proprietor of the Woodward Heights Farm at Plattsburg, a former sheriff of Clinton County, prominent in business and as a democratic leader, the name Robert C. Woodward is probably known in every community in the county, and wherever known it is recognized as synonymous with business integrity and fidelity to trust.
Robert C. Woodward was born in DeKalb County, Missouri, September 29, 1849, the year in which the great exodus of Missourians and of adventurous young men from other states to the California gold fields. Vol. His father was Enos J. Woodward, who was born near Liberty, in Clay County. The family came to this state from Kentucky and was among the early settlers. Enos Woodward had a career that brought him intimate experience in the stirring life of the Middle West during the decade of the '40s and '50s. He spent a number of years as a freighter with teams of oxen from St. Joseph on the Missouri to Denver and Salt Lake City, also hauling supplies to the Government forts on the frontier. This work brought him into almost constant contact with hardship and the dangers of Indian and outlaw, and he was one of the hardy plainsmen of the early times.
He married Elizabeth Johnson, daughter of Judge Robert Johnson, a pioneer in Clay and Clinton counties. The Johnson family came from Virginia. Enos W'oodward and wife were the parents of nine children, three sons and six daughters: David H., of Marshall County, Kansas; Samantha, wife of J. B. Leftwich, of Easton, Missouri; Claud, wife of Charles Wingate, of Sedalia, Missouri; Mrs. Kate Grimes, of Saxton, Missouri; Mrs. Nancy, wife of Jacob Brumm, of Hemple; and Mrs. Dora Crouse, deceased. Enos Woodward died at the age of fifty-one. After his trading experience he was a farmer and stockman, was a member of the Masonic order, and active as a democrat, and was a Baptist in religion. His widow still occupies the old homestead farm, and is eighty-six years of age.
Robert C. Woodward grew up at home, learned the lessons of industry while acquiring knowledge of books in the public schools, and at the age of twenty-eight married Mary E. Newman, daughter of W. R. Newman. To their marriage were born the following children: Mattie Ditmars, who died in 1911; Manly G., assessor and one of the well-known officials of Clinton County; William P., who lives in Caddo County, Oklahoma; Georgie E. Thompson, of Plattsburg; Elizabeth, who died young; Catherine, wife of P. C. Marshall, of Kansas City; and Ruth. Mrs. Woodward died July 3, 1899. Mr. Woodward married his present wife September 10, 1902. Her father was R. B. Briant, a well-known citizen in the vicinity of Turney. Mr. Woodward had one daughter, Lucile, by his present wife, a bright and promising child, who died at the age of seven years.
Mr. Woodward has always prospered as a farmer and stock raiser, and besides his fine farm is the owner of some town property, and has one of the best improved rural homes in the vicinity of Plattsburg. He was elected sheriff of Clinton County in 1895 and held that office until 1899, making a record of efficiency seldom surpassed in the administration of the sheriff's office. He has always taken much interest in politics, and has served as a delegate to three national democratic conventions. He was a doorkeeper in the convention at Kansas City in 1900, and was also in the last convention at Baltimore in 1912. He is a member of the Christian church and his wife of the Methodist church. .
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]