Genealogy Trails

Douglas County, Missouri Genealogy Trails

BIOGRAPHIES


BOEHM, GUSTAVUS

On the 19th of July, 1909, at St. Louis, Mr. Boehm was united in marriage to Miss Sarilda Amanda Ochsner, a daughter of Fred Ochsner, and their children are Ruskin Clay, Justinian O. and Gustavus H., Jr. In his political views Mr. Boehm is a republican, but has never been a politician in the sense of seeking office. The cause of education, however, has always found in him a warm friend and for one term he served as school commissioner in Gasconade county and also for one term in Douglas county. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity and to the Phi Alpha Delta, a college law fraternity. He also holds membership with the Country Club and the Young Men's Business Club. The religious faith of Mr. and Mrs. Boehm is that of the Presbyterian church. They contribute liberally to its support and take an active part in its work. They are also well known socially in the city, where the hospitality of the best homes is extended them, while the good cheer of the Boehm household makes it a favorite resort with all. Missouri the Center State: 1821-1915, Volume 4 by Walter Barlow Stevens.  Submitted by SD

BURDETT, C.W.

Dr. C. W. Burdett, a well known physician of Ava, Douglas county, Missouri, has a practice which extends far into the surrounding territory. He is a native of Taney county, born in 1872, and is a son of Dr. K. L. and N. E. Burdett. The father was born in Tennessee and the mother in Greene county, Missouri. The former settled in Greene county, this state, in 1853, and took up the practice of medicine in Fair Grove, continuing there until after the close of the Civil war, or about 1867, in which year he removed to Forsyth. There he remained in practice until about 1888, when he came to Douglas county, where he bought a farm on Cow Skin creek, giving his attention to agricultural pursuits in connection with his medical practice. He was so engaged until the time of his death in 1903. He was among the pioneer physicians of Greene, Taney and Douglas counties and his practice extended over a large territory. Dr. Burdett, Sr., took an active part in politics, being a democrat, and he always furthered the interests of his party although he was not an office seeker. His widow is living at the age of seventy-two years. They had six children, all of whom are living: Delacy, the wife of Dr. Baldwin, of Forsyth; Kenneth L., of Arkansas Post, Arkansas; Dr. C. W., of this review; C. H., president of the Peoples Bank, of Ava; Lillie, who married J. F. Holstine, a merchant of Ava; and Francis E., who is a graduate physician, residing on the homestead four miles west of Ava.

C. W. Burdett received his early education in Taney and Douglas counties and studied medicine in Memphis Hospital Medical College at Memphis, Tennessee, graduating with honors in 1894 as the youngest man in a class of one hundred and forty-seven graduates. In 1895 he took up active practice in Kirbyville, Taney county, where he remained for three years, removing at the end of that time to Polk county, Missouri. There he was established until 1903, in which year he located in Branson, where he not only enjoyed a large private practice but also acted as physician and surgeon for the St. Louis, Iron Mountain & Southern Railroad Construction Company until the completion of the road. He then became physician for the railroad company, holding that position until March, 1911, when he came to Ava, where he has since maintained his office. He is a thoroughly reliable physician and surgeon and enjoys a large practice which extends over a wide territory. He is a man of strong personality and profound learning and has ever remained a student, keeping continually in touch with the latest discoveries and ideas made in the world of medical science. He is part owner of the Burdett & Norman drug store and derives a gratifying addition to his income from this source.

In 1896 Dr. Burdett married Miss Ada Turner, who was born in Arkansas and whose parents died in that state. She is one of a family of six children, of whom she is the second in order of birth and of whom five are living. Dr. and Mrs. Burdett have five children: Lorena Vestel, who was born in 1897 and is a high-school graduate; Rondo Rainey, born in 1900, now attending school: Hazel Marie, born in 1904, also attending school; Thelma Louise, born in 1908: and Ada Orine, born in 1911.

Dr. and Mrs. Burdett are members of the Methodist Episcopal church and generously contribute to its support. Politically he is a democrat. In 1906 he was made a member of the democrat state committee and served for two terms from the fourteenth district. Fraternally he belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Woodmen of the World and the Modern Woodmen of America and has held all of the chairs in the local organizations. He is esteemed and respected because of his attainments along professional lines and because he is a useful and valuable citizen who is interested in the development of his district and is ever ready to bear his share in promoting valuable public enterprises.

Missouri the Center State: 1821-1915, Volume 4 by Walter Barlow Stevens.  Submitted by SD

CLARKE, J.S.

Mr. and Mrs. Clarke are adherents of the Baptist faith and generously contribute to the support of the church. Politically he is a republican and has ably served as prosecuting attorney of Douglas county for one term. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America and has occupied all the offices in the local lodge of the former organization. There is much that is creditable in his career, and ambition and determination have been the factors which led him to success. While he is now a substantial resident of the community he has never allowed his own interests to interfere with his duties toward society and has participated in all movements calculated to advance the general welfare.   Missouri the Center State: 1821-1915, Volume 4 by Walter Barlow Stevens.  Submitted by SD

DAVIS, OLIVER B.

Mr. and Mrs. Davis are members of the Baptist church, to which they generously contribute. Politically he is a republican but is not an office seeker, although he is interested in the progress of his party. He is making valuable contributions to the development of his section by means of his newspaper and in other ways and must be considered a forceful factor in the material, intellectual and moral upbuilding of his community. He has many friends in Douglas county who esteem him for what he has achieved in life and for the qualities of his character which have made possible his success.  Missouri the Center State: 1821-1915, Volume 4 by Walter Barlow Stevens.  Submitted by SD

HUGHES, JOHN WESLEY

Politically Mr. Hughes is a republican and fraternally a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America, while Mrs. Hughes belongs to the Royal Neighbors. Any project which has for its purpose the advancement of Forsyth and Taney county finds in Mr. Hughes a warm champion, and he is ever ready to contribute his share to the upbuilding of the community. He is a valuable, useful citizen who has assisted in raising agricultural standards and who by his activities in the real-estate market has stimulated land values. All who know him speak highly of him and he enjoys in full measure the confidence and respect of the substantial citizens of his neighborhood.  Missouri the Center State: 1821-1915, Volume 4 by Walter Barlow Stevens.  Submitted by SD

GASKILL, WILLIAM J.

Mr. Gaskill is a democrat in his political belief and since June, 1913, has been postmaster of Rippee. Fraternally he belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and has held all of the chairs in the subordinate lodge. He has for years taken a leading part in public affairs and his influence is always exerted for the general welfare.  Missouri the Center State: 1821-1915, Volume 4 by Walter Barlow Stevens.  Submitted by SD

SQUIRE, JOHN

That honest toil directed along lines of progressive ideas leads to prosperity is evident in the career of John Squire, of Hammond, Ozark county, Missouri, who as a farmer, banker and merchant has directed his affairs with such ability that he has found a reward in the substantial position which he now occupies. He has, moreover, contributed to the development of his section of the state, has actively taken part in its political life and in many ways has been a force for good. Mr. Squire was born in England, April 1, 1854, and is a son of John and Mary A. (Gorman) Squire, natives of that country. The father followed farming and stock-raising in his native land, where he passed away. His widow subsequently came to America, but she is also deceased. In their family were seven children: Daniel, deceased; Jennie, the wife of Peter Erickson, of Hoopeston, Illinois; Gad, deceased; Ann, the widow of Levi Gentry, of the state of Washington; John, of this review; Josie, the wife of Charles Chance, of Tichnor, Arkansas; and Henry, of East Lynn, Illinois.

John Squire remained in England until twelve years of age, there beginning his education. Upon arriving in this country he made his home with an uncle in Illinois, where he continued his lessons until sixteen years of age. At that time his mother came to America and her care fell upon his shoulders. Until twenty-two years of age he worked as a farm hand and by that time had, through thrift and economy, acquired the means which permitted him to rent a place, and in a small way he began to farm for himself. He continued on rented land for about eight years, after which period he went to Australia, but not finding conditions satisfactory, he returned after a year to Illinois. In 1882 he went to Douglas county, Missouri, where he bought a tract of four hundred and eighty acres.

On this farm he planted an orchard and became one of the first horticulturists of his section. When he settled in Douglas county most of the land was yet unbroken and still in its wild state. There he laid out the little town of Squires, where he built a store which he conducted for many years, succeeding in locating a post office there and serving as postmaster for fourteen years. He was much interested in public development and was instrumental in having roads built and also took an interest in building schools and churches. The town was named in honor of our subject and still bears the name of Squires.

In 1901, Mr. Squire went to Idaho, where he bought a two hundred acre ranch in the Snake river valley, near Presto, which he operated for four years. He was successful in its development and sold out at a considerable profit, returning at the end of that time to Missouri and locating in 1907 in Hammond. There he engaged in merchandising in partnership with S. J. Williams and John W. Grudier, building a flour mill. He also engaged in the stock business in association with S. J. Williams. He later sold out his interest in the last mentioned enterprise and in the mill and now devotes most of his time to his mercantile business. In June, 1910, Mr. Squire organized with others the Bank of Hammond and was made president of the institution, holding that position until March, 1914, the bank enjoying a continued era of growth under his administration. At the last mentioned time he sold out his stock in the bank and retired from that financial enterprise. He also assisted in organizing the Bank of Shelley at Shelley, Idaho, and acted as cashier of the same until he sold out his interests in that state. He has been one of the main factors in building up that section of Missouri of which Hammond is the center, and is one of the most public-spirited citizens of the community. He owns a valuable farm of two hundred and fifty acres, part of which is under cultivation. In order to better understand what Mr. Squire has achieved in life it may be well to mention that when he arrived in Illinois, at the age of twelve, he owed seventy-five dollars for his passage, and that all he has acquired in the way of possessions has come to him through his own efforts. It is true that he inherited a small sum, but when it was sent to him he returned it with instructions to use the amount for taking care of his mother's grave. Today his business capital exceeds thirty thousand dollars and this agreeable result of his business activities is to be the more admired because he has done much for his section while promoting his own affairs. He is still deeply interested in horticulture and if he may be said to have a hobby it is orcharding.

On June 6, 1886, Mr. Squire married Miss Martha F. Brown, who was born in Taney county, Missouri, and is a daughter of Jesse and Mary (Burton) Brown, the father for many years an agriculturist of Taney county. Both he and his wife are deceased. In their family were seven children, those besides Mrs. Squire being: Louisa, who married Stephen Turner, of Ketchum, Oklahoma; Isaac and James S., of Douglas county, Missouri; William, of Arkansas; Louis, a merchant of Squires, Missouri; and George Henry, deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Squire have six children: Mary A., the wife of Thomas C. Letchworth, of Toledo, Missouri, and the mother of three children; Jennie N., at home; Jessie E., who married Robert L. Spurlock, of Ozark county, Missouri, by whom she has one child; Lutisa, the wife of Milton Delp, of Arapahoe, Nebraska, and the mother of two children; Samuel G. McKinley, who is connected with his father's mercantile establishment and who is married and has one child; and Tena May, at home.

While residing in Douglas county Mr. Squire took a laudable interest in the political life of that section and served for one term as county treasurer, discharging his duties faithfully and to the satisfaction of his constituents. He served for fifteen years on the county school board and is ever ready to assist in furthering the cause of education. He is a member of the progressive party and subscribes to the principles which are set forth in the platform of that organization. He is a member of the blue lodge of Masons and also belonged to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, from which he is demitted. His career might serve as an incentive to a younger generation, proving that with will power and determination success can be achieved along honorable lines.  Missouri the Center State: 1821-1915, Volume 4 by Walter Barlow Stevens.  Submitted by SD

 


Return to

Douglas County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails 2013
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.