Dunklin County, Missouri
Genealogy and History

Genealogy Trails
Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy!


Community News

Kennett's first and only Negro school now under construction will be named the "Willoughby School" in honor of Nelse Willoughby, old and highly-respected Negro who has resided in Kennett for fifty years. "Uncle Nelse" has resided in Dunklin county since the first year of the Civil War, when his old "Massa" Jim Willoughby. moved with his slaves from Tennessee to a farm near Cotton Plant. "Uncle Nelse" is 91 years old. [The Sikeston Missouri Herald, Feb 17 1938]

Kennett:  The Dunklin county court has fixed its 1938 budget at $70,740 Unpaid obligations of the county amount to $87,000. The court has instituted a campaign of rigid economy. [The Sikeston Missouri Herald, Feb 17 1938]

Kennett:  The February term of circuit court opened Monday. February 14, with Judge J. V. Billings on the bench. The docket for the term is unusually light, with 27 criminal cases, 89 civil suits and 44 divorce cases scheduled- [The Sikeston Missouri, Herald Feb 17 1938]  

Killed Going to Church

Kennett, Mo., Aug 16-While driving to church at Frisbee Station last night, five children of A. H. Hyde, a farmer, were killed by St. Louis & San Francisco train No. 11, which struck the wagon on a crossing a mile east of the Hyde home. The dead are: Charles, aged 26; Lelia, 23; Juda, 20; Jessie, 17; and Susie, 12. [Press Democrat, Number 191, 17 August 1909]


Man Who Murdered Five Members of His Own Family is Hanged at Kennett, MO.

Kennett, MO., Feb 20--James H Tettaton was hanged here Tuesday. He made a confession on the gallows, stating that he hired W. T. Barham and A. J. Ransom to commit the crime of killing and burning his stepmother and her four children, for which he paid them $500. He spoke to the public for 15 minutes, and claimed to be prepared to die.

The crime for which Tettaton was hanged was committed on the night of April 25, 1899, one mile north of Malden, Mo., the culmination of litigation over his father's estate. On that night he shot and killed his halfbrother, George Tettaton, aged 15. He also killed his stepmother, Mrs. M. J. Tettaton, and her three children, Ben, Ada, and Ida, and burned their bodies in the house they occupied. [True Republican, 23 February 1901]


Miss Hill is Hostess to Club and Guests

Miss Mary Jane Hill, 706 Stewart Road, entertained her club at her home at 2:30 o'clock this afternoon. The members of the club who were present were: Mary Maud Clinkscales, Dorothy Ann Nowell, Alice Maughs, Gloria Phillips, and Frances Logan. Miss Mary Virginia Spence of Kennett, Mo., and Virginia Lee Hill were also guests. They spent the afternoon at Mrs. Berry McAlester's swimming pool.

Mr. and Mrs. R. L. Hill and their daughters went to St. Louis Monday, returning Tuesday. yesterday they had as guests Mr. and Mrs. heron Fountain of Cleveland, O. [Columbia Missourian 1929-08-22 Miss Hill is Hostess to Club and Guests]



Ending a motor trip from Kennett, Mo., two plucky young women this week arrived in Los Angeles, having made the long trip overland without the slightest help from mere me. Nor did they depend upon hotels for accommodations, but pitched their tent at night, cooked their own meals, and at the end of their journey had no greater thrills to recount than those occasioned by the weird serenading of coyotes by night close by their tent. And unlike many transcontinental travelers who say "Never again" after having made the journey, both declare that they keenly enjoyed every foot of the trip, and would gladly make it again.

Mrs. M. B. Werkman of Kennett, Mo., and Mrs. Alberta R. Jones of the same city were the venturesome young women who made the trip. Mrs. Werkman drove their Nash Six roadster every foot of the way. She admits that when she started out from Kennett she entertained the the delusion that there were no grades of any consequence on the National Old Trails route.

Having Climbed Raton pass, and descended the famous La Bajada grade in New Mexico, she admits having changed her mind in this regard. But she is none the less enthusiastic over the trip, and points out the decided financial saving the trip resulted in, as well as the greatly added enjoyment over a rail journey.

"When my husband and I decided to come to California to live we hunted up the freight rates to see what it would cost to ship our car to California. Under the new rates it would have cost almost $300 to ship the car and over $125 in rail fare and for Pullman. Mr. Werkman was goin to be unable to get away before the first of the year, so I determined to drive the Nash Six through myself while the roads were still open.

I induced Mrs. Jones to accompany me and we started out. The totatl expense for both of us, including all gasoline, oil, and tire expense for the car, and our food on the road was $155. If we had shipped the car and both come by train it would have been nearer $550. This rather explained to me the host of  cars we traveled with, all headed for Southern California. Really, it was marvelous the cars on the road. I began to think there would be no room for us after we got there," said Mrs. Werkman.

We did not have a single unpleasant experience on the entire trip. Everyone was as friendly as could be. A few tire changes constituted the extent of our troubles. We had a small Sterno stove and cooked virtually all of our meals on the entire trip.

"I'll admit that I was a little tired of bacon and eggs when we got to Los Angeles, and that I do not want to see another peanut butter sandwich for some time to come. Still we enjoyed it all, and I'd be willing to start again tomorrow.

"The Nash averaged 14 1/2 miles per gallon, and I have a suspicion that we did not always get full measure at that. You see 90 percent of the travel at this time of year is through travel and the gasoline men know they will only see their customers once. So I suspected that some of them do not always give full measure. We made as high as 180 miles one day which we thought was pretty good mileage when you consider we had to make and break camp and cook our meals."[Los Angeles Herald, Number 312, 30 October 1920]


Mrs. J. W. Fisher and children went to Kennett, MO Wednesday to visit her mother-in-law, Mrs. S. A. Jones for a few weeks. {excerpt}[Marion Semi Weekly leader Vol 46, number 355, 28, April 1922]




Jealousy over Mrs. Jewell Hasty Bell, pretty 19-year-old brunet of Kennett, MO., has cost her three successive husbands their lives. Her first husband took his own three years ago because she refused to live with him. The other day, Harry Bell, her third husband, was fatally shot by her second mate, Arthur Pruett. Pruett, critically wounded in a the gun duel, then killed himself. [Miami Daily News-Record from Miami, Oklahoma Sunday August 6, 1933 page 7]

Newsy Items Gathered From Our Exchanges of Events in Our State
Livingston Count will place an $800 clock in the tower of its new courthouse at Chillicothe.
A man in Dunklin County gave to a friend there as a Christmas present a thirty-five-pound watermelon
The Burke and Hobb' revival at Piedmont resulted in 412 conversions. The evangelists were paid $940.00.
The recorder of Howell County issued 261 marriage licenses in 1914, this number being thirty less than the preceding year.
The stockholders of the Cape Girardeau fair have offered to sell their property to the city to be used for park purposes, at a price of $30,000.
It is said that farmers in Dunklin County are discussing the stock or "no-fence" law and that the same will be brought to a vote in a year or two.
Miss Elsie Bell, Democratic nominee for recorder in Leclede County, has begun contest proceedings against her Republican opponent, who won by only eight votes.
Two inmates of the city jail at Cape Girardeau recently attempted to escape by digging out, but were prevented by two policemen who happened to in the building.
Brady Harris of Belton had inaugurated a personal campaign against profanity and is sending out private post cards bearing agreement against the use of bad language.
At Jackson, members if the Baptist Church had prepared a Christmas ship to hold the presents for the children and, owing to bad unsulation in the light wires, the ship caught fire and was burned up with all the presents.
In Dunklin County, the county court has suspended the pealty on delinqupostponedent taxes during the month of January, this being done to assist the large number of people there who have been unable to pay their taxes on time.
In Macon County, a young couple were preparing for a murriage ceremony and the prospective bridgegroom found he had left the license in the coat several miles away. The marriage was postpond from Sunday till Wednesday.
 Gay Mills, a young man in Dunklin County, died in a cotton house of a gin at Octa December 24, following a spree in which he had engaged with two other young men. Mills became so drunk that his companions left him at the gin and about two hours later he was found dead.
Mrs. May Smith of Butler County, who was serving a term of ninety-nine years in the penitentiary for the crime of murdering her husband some ten years ago, was given a parole December 24 by Gov. Major, in order that she might marry another man. It is said that the citizens of Butler County are rather wrought up about the governor's action.
Officials of the penitentiary at Jefferson City recently found a complete counterfeitting plant in the cell of William Brandon, a prisoner in that institution. Thirty half dollars were found minted and ready for circulation. On Christmas day, convicts operating fruit and candy stands formal spurious coins among their receipts and informed the wardn. A search was made, which resulted in the finding of the outfit. [Pemiscot Argus (Caruthersville, Missouri) 07 Jan 1915, Thu]



Genealogy Trails History Group

Copyright by Genealogy Trails