Franklin County, Missouri Genealogy Trails
Source: Goodspeed's Franklin County History, 1888, Goodspeed Publishing Co
Transcribed by: Barb Z. © 2009School HistoryFormation of School Districts.—The first action taken by the county court with reference to schools was on April 23, 1821, when Achilles Jeffries, William Gibson, Philip Miller and William S. Birch were appointed commissioners to attend to the sale of all the lands donated to school purposes. The next action was taken August 19, 1823, when Caleb Baley and John Obanion were appointed commissioners of all the school lands in Boeuf Township; Isaiah Todd and John Caldwell, commissioners of the school lands in St. Johns Township; Hugh Bartley and James North, in Boles Township; William Gibson and William Spencer, in Meramec Township; and Robert Berry and Samuel Short, in Calvey Township. August 11, 1835, the following entry is found on the county records.
Now at this day, upon the petition of upward of two-thirds of the householders of Congressional Township 41, Range 1 east, in this county, praying that the school district in said township be organized, and that the inhabitants of said township be incorporated by the name of "The Inhabitants of the Mineral School District," and that the court appoint a board of trustees, to consist of five members, to be vested with the corporate powers of said school district; and it appearing to the satisfaction of the court that at least two-thirds of the householders, inhabitants of said district, have signed said petition, and that the prayer of the petitioners is otherwise reasonable, it is ordered that the prayer of the petitioners be granted, and that the inhabitants of said school district be incorporated by the name and style of "The Inhabitants of the Mineral School District," as prayed for in their petition; and it is further ordered that Joseph Funk, John Williamson, William Hearst, William Gibson and Samuel S. Gibson be appointed a board of trustees for the said school district.
On September 5, 1840, William Campbell, late sheriff of the county, reported the sale of Section 16, Township 42, Range 3 west, at $1.25 per acre, and on the same day reported the sale of Section 33, Township 44, Range 1 east, selected in lieu of Section 16, a part of this sale having been made at $1.25 per acre, a part at $2.09 per acre, a part at $2.30 per acre, and apart at $2.50 per acre, and still other portions at other prices. The school lands were sold as fast and at as high a rate as possible, and thus a school fund established which has become very large. In 1842 it had reached $2,501.30; in 1843, it was $4.829.84; in 1846, $8,178.24; in 1850, $9,326.64; in 1851, $10,530.89; in 1852, $11,578.14; in 1853, $13,805.89; in 1854, $14,205.89; in 1855, $23,116.89; in 1856, $23,623.89; in 1858, $23,773.89, etc.
The record of the organization of School District No. 2 shows that it was organized November 5, 1839. It comprised Congressional Township No. 44, Range 2 west. Jesse McDonald was appointed commissioner, and Seth Clutwood and Joshua Pinkston, inspectors. The first meeting of the inhabitants was to be held at Newport, December 21, 1839.
School District No. 3, Congressional Township 44, Range 1 west, was organized on the same day as No. 2; Clayton B. Hinton was appointed commissioner, and Joseph B. Hardin and Caldwell C. Byrnside, inspectors. The first meeting of the inhabitants was appointed at Washington on December 21, 1839.
School District No. 6, Congressional Township 42, Range 1 east, was organized May 6, 1811; William R. Ellett was appointed commissioner, and Henry Cheatham and William N. Patton, inspectors. The first meeting of the inhabitants was appointed on the third Saturday in June, 1841, at Perrin Farrar's.
School District No. 7, Congressional Township 42, Range 3 west, was organized February 6, 1840, Lewis C. Frazier being appointed commissioner, and John Bailey and Peyton Sawyers, inspectors. The first meeting of the inhabitants was appointed for the last Saturday in March, 1840, at William Skinner's house. This order not being complied with, a new order was issued May 7, 1840. Lewis C. Frazier having removed from the county, Ira Valentine was appointed; the same inspectors were re-appointed, and the first meeting of the inhabitants appointed at William Skinner's house, for the first Saturday in July, 1840. Thus township after township was organized into a school district as fast as circumstances required. The statistics for 1850 show that then there were nineteen public schools in the county, and nineteen teachers; and that there were of white adults who could not read and write—males, 135, and females, 203.
School Statistics, etc.—Following are some of the statistics of Franklin County schools: Increase of public school funds, from fines, penalties, swamp land sales, etc., for 1877, $475; 1878, $407.11; 1879, $454; 1880, $398.55; 1881, $427; 1882, $1,479; 1883, $1,192; 1884, $1,492.75; 1885, $4,376.55; 1886, $910.40.
Report of County Clerk for 1885.—Enumeration: Whites— males, 5,181, females, 4,691, total 9,872; colored—males, 365, females, 326, total, 691; total enumeration, 10,563. State moneys, $1,083; direct tax, $26,407.11; total receipts, $41,731.81; total expenses, $32,225.33. Cash on hand July 1, 1886, $9,506.48; county funds, $31,099.18; township funds, $37,670.15; total of all funds, $68,769.33. Enrollment: Whites—males, 2,705, females, 2,233, total whites, 4,938; colored—males, 179, females, 143, total colored, 322; total enrollment, 5,260. The total number of days attendance was 319,166; average number of days attendance, 61; average number of pupils, 2,732; number of teachers, 122; average salary, $38.90; number of rooms occupied 121; seating capacity of all school-rooms, 5,977; number of white schools, 106; number of colored schools, 9; average cost of tuition per pupil per day, 5 cents; value of school property, $55,288; assessed valuation of property in the county, $4,338,045. The county paid out for new buildings during the year ending July 1,1886, $1,468.26. The number of third grade certificates issued during the year was 136; of second grade, 12; and of first grade, 1.
Washington Schools.—It was not long after the incorporation of Washington before school matters began to receive the serious consideration of the board of trustees. On April 12, 1845, N. S. Graves, Elijah McLean and Godfrey Beyreis were appointed a committee to select a suitable site for a school-house, and they were empowered to contract for and superintend the building thereof, to examine teachers, and to do all other things required of them as school trustees. May 31, 1846, an ordinance was introduced by John P. Mense to the effect that a committee be appointed to secure a suitable site for a schoolhouse, to contract for and superintend the building of the same. The chairman of the board appointed John F. Mense, John L. Hamilton and John Lay the committee in accordance with the ordinance, and a second committee, consisting of Elijah McLean and Stephen W. Wood, was appointed to examine candidates for the position of teacher, to issue certificates according to their own judgment. This committee was required to procure a school-house and employ a teacher. In April, 1853, the Rev. J. F. Fenton was engaged to teach the public school, and on October 15, of that year, presented his account to the board for teaching from April to September, 1853, amounting to $502.10, which was paid. In March, 1856, a Mr. Cowan was employed to teach the school at $45 per month, one-half out of the public fund, the other half to be collected by Mr. Cowan from the children.
On September 1, 1856, J. P. Johnson presented his report as teacher of the public school for three months, ending September 2, 1856. He received for his services $45 per month. Mr. Murphy was instructed to employ a suitable person to succeed Mr. Johnson, and on October 27, 1856, the same salary was offered to Amos P. Foster, but, as he would not teach for that sum, he was offered $50 per month, which he accepted, January 10, 1857. Mr. Foster reported that the school was too large for him to manage alone, and the board authorized him to employ a competent female assistant. Miss Moulton was employed, and the tuition for scholars coming from outside the district was fixed at $1.25 per month. August 27, 1858, Mr. Foster was engaged to teach, and to have the lower room of the town hall, Miss Ware to have the upper room. In 1859 school trustees were elected as follows: A. H. Downer, D. T. Peistrup and S. M. Jones. April 15, 1859, the upper room of the town hall was rented to Dr. McLean for school purposes, at $5 per month for the balance of Mr. Crosby's school term. In 1860 the school trustees were A. S. Bryan, Abner Hall and Louis Johnson. In 1861 they were Bernhard Wiese, Louis Johnson and Francis Lange. From this time on for about ten years the records could not be found. In 1871 the trustees were Hoffman, Heining and Busch, and B. S. Neulon was the principal of the school. The corner-stone of the new school building was laid September 30, 1871, the Masonic fraternity being invited to perform the ceremony and the Odd Fellows to participate. B. S. Neulon resigned as principal September 25, 1871, and an election for his successor was postponed until after the completion of the new school building, for which bonds to the amount of $6,000 were issued. Thomas W. Manly was engaged to teach the colored school September 30, 1871. July 1, 1872, Rev. F. W. G. Smith was engaged as principal of the public school for $100 per month. July 10, 1872, a teachers' examination was held in the new school building, Mrs. Mary E. Glenn, Mrs. Wilson, Mr. Ganse and Mrs. Reiser being employed as teachers. October 14, 1872, Prof. Smith resigned and Amos P. Foster was engaged in his place. A further issue of $4,500 in bonds was made to complete payment for the new school building. In 1873 the board of directors were S. M. Jones, John D. Grotham, Henry Sultrop, S. Ruge, F. Nierdick and William Stumpe. April 28 a census report was made to the board showing 1,149 white school children and fifty-eight colored in the district. August 2, 1873, the teachers employed were John Dugge, principal, at $80 per month; Mrs. Mary E. Glenn, second teacher, and N. C. Plageman, third, each at $50 per month; October 7, Miss Kate Gowley as fourth teacher at $40 per month, and Mary Rice, of the colored school, at $25 per month. On August 30, 1872, bonds to the amount of $4,500 were issued to retire the last mentioned issue of like amount because of some supposed technical illegality connected therewith. October 21, 1874, Charles Heerey was employed as principal at $80 per month, and February 20, 1875, his salary was raised to $100 per month. July 14, 1875, it was resolved by the board to employ a teacher to teach German exclusively. The teachers employed this year were Mrs. Mary E. Glenn, Miss Emma Sterigere, Miss A. Murphy and Miss Belle McDonald, and W. A. Lawrence for the colored school. In 1876 the teachers employed were Rudolph Ritter, principal, at $75 per month, Mrs. Mary E. Glenn at $60, Miss Alice Coleman at $50, Miss Belle McDonald at $50, and Mrs. Sarah K. Wilson at $50, and Miss Fannie Kloentrup for the colored school. In 1877 the teachers engaged were Rudolph Ritter, principal, $75; Mrs. Mary E. Glenn, Miss Alice Murphy, Miss Annie Thomas and Miss Fannie Kloentrup. In 1879, Rudolph Ritter, $65 per month; Mrs. Glenn, $40; Miss Mary Krog, Miss Annie Thomas, Miss Fannie Kloentrup, Miss Annie Murphy, and Miss Ellen Smith for the colored school. In 1880 the enumeration of school children was taken by H. H. Thias. The result showed, of whites—males, 922; females, 894; colored—males, 65; females, 52; total enumeration, 1,933. The teachers engaged were Rudolph Ritter, Mrs. Glenn, Alice 0. Murphy, Fannie Kloentrup, Ella McDonald, Annette B. Coleman, Ellen S. North for the colored school. In 1881 the teachers engaged were Rudolph Ritter, at $75; Mrs. Glenn, $60; Ella McDonald, $60; Alice C. Murphy, $40; Otto Brauer, German, $60; Fannie Kloentrup, $40; Mamie F. Jones, colored school, $30. September 7, 1881, W. S. Allen was elected to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Rudolph Ritter, but as he could not be released from his contract in New Haven, G. W. Smith was elected in his place. In 1882 the teachers engaged were G. W. Smith, at $90; H. A. Polack, $70; S. C. Murphy, $50; Mrs. Glenn, Fannie Kloentrup and Annette B. Coleman, each $40; Mamie F. Jones, colored school. Mrs. Glenn and Mr. Polack resigned,and Charles Debus was chosen first assistant, and Miss Mary Krog was elected to Mrs. Glenn's place. In 1883 the teachers chosen were G. W. Smith, Thomas Cochran, Alice C. Murphy, Fannie Kloentrup, Mary Krog and Annette B. Coleman. In 1884 the teachers were Thomas Cochran, A. Kramer, Joseph Eckert and Miss Brauer, as also in 1885. In 1886 they were W. S. Allen, Thomas Cochran, C. F. Brandt (German), Miss Alice C. Murphy, Fannie Kloentrup, Louisa Brauer and Mary Krog, and in 1887 B. J. Specking, Thomas Cochran, C. F. Brandt (German), Miss Alice C. Murphy, Miss Fannie Kloentrup, Miss Louisa Brauer and Miss Mary Krog; Hardy O. Jones, colored school. The enumeration for 1887 was: Whites—males, 810; females, 858; colored—males, 71; females, 60; total enumeration 1,799. The assessed valuation of school property in the district is $10,000, and the assessed valuation of property is $528,595. The present board of directors consists of William G. Ruge, H. J. Dickbrader, H. H. Reinke, William Stumpe, F. H. Thias and F. W. Stumpe.
The Washington High School was incorporated December 9, 1886, the number of stockholders being thirty-nine. The first board of directors were John A. Collins, P. F. Peitz, James I. Jones, L. Wattenberg, John Isbell, F. W. Stumpe and R. Hoffman. The original capital stock was $6,000, since increased to $7,200. A school building was erected in 1887. It is a two-story brick structure 32x61 feet, and contains four large, well-lighted and ventilated recitation rooms. It stands in Garfield Park, formerly a public square, on the east side of Locust Street, between Second and Third Streets. The school opened September 5, 1887, with thirty-four pupils; the second term commenced February 1, 1888, with forty-three pupils. Prof. W. S. Allen is the principal of the school, and Prof. Beeson, assistant. There are two courses of study—preparatory and high school. The high school course embraces four years' study, the studies for the fourth year being trigonometry, English literature, ancient history, chemistry, astronomy, general history, mental science, and the completion of four books of Virgil's Eneid.
Union Schools - from the failure to find early records of the proceedings of the board of education of Union, it is almost impossible to give more than a meager history of the Union public schools. The first records that could be found show that on April 4, 1870, Charles Eeinhard, John H. Pugh and O. Wengler were elected directors of the school. In 1871 the same directors were elected, except that Thomas Bruch was chosen in place of Mr. Wengler. In 1872 the directors elected were B. D. Dean, F. W. Eeinhard, and Henry Gerken; in 1873, F. W. Reinhard, A. A. Vitt and John H. Pugh. In 1874 a change in the method of electing directors went into effect, under which T. A. Lowe was elected for three years, John G. Keller for two years and Michael Montier for one year, and since then it has been necessary to elect but one director annually except in case of a vacancy. In 1875 J. Schlagenhauf was elected; in 1876, Charles E. Stierberger; in 1877, John W. Booth for three years and A. A. Vitt for two years; in 1878, Robert Hoffman for three years and J. Schlagenhauf to fill a vacancy; in 1879, John T. Crowe; in 1880, Thomas Bruch; in 1881, John H. Pugh for three years and A. A. Vitt to fill a vacancy; in 1882, A. A. Vitt; in 1883, William M. Terry; in 1885, J. F. Hein; in 1886, H. W. Clark, and in 1887 the board consisted of H. W. Clark, J. F. Hein and J. Schlagenhauf.
In 1870 the teachers were L. Frank Parker, for six months, at $85 per month, and Miss Virginia Menkins at $50 per month. In 1871, L. Frank Parker at $75 and Louis Hugo at $50; in 1872, Louis Hugo at $65, and Mrs. S. Frazee at $35; in 1875, Felix W. Baudessin at $70; Josephine N. Maupin at $40, and Mollie Mudd at $30; in 1876, Felix W. Baudessin at $70, and Miss Mollie Mudd at $40; in 1881, H. C. Calkins, $55, and Miss Minnie Marsh, $33; 1882, W. S. Allen, $70, and Mrs. E. M. Frazee at $35; 1883 W. S. Allen at $85, Cora Maupin at $40, G. A. Maston at $35; 1884, W. S. Allen, $85, Mrs. Sue L. Allen, $35, and Miss Cora Maupin at $35; 1885, W. S. Allen, $85, Miss Jennie M. Marion, $35, and Miss Cora Maupin at $35; 1886, Mrs. Sue L. Allen, $65, H. W. Pugh and Miss Georgia Terry; 1887, Herman G. Kiehl, Miss Mary Bernertt and Miss Rose McSpadden. Since 1883 so far as the records show, the colored school has had the following teachers: in 1875, Ella Gibbs at $35; 1876, same teacher, same salary; 1882, G. A. Maston, $35; 1884, same teacher, same salary; 1885, 1886 and 1887, Miss Minnie Jones.
In 1870 the enrollment of the whole school was: males, 81; females, 98; colored school—males, 22; females, 36. In December, 1887, the enrollment in the intermediate department of the white school was: males, 35; females, 18; in the primary department, males, 46; females, 30; in the colored school, males, 17; females, 22. The report of Herman G. Kiehl, principal of this school, for the month ending January 27, 1887, showed the number of pupils enrolled: males, 126; females, 87; number in attendance, 158.
In 1887 a fine, large two-story brick school-house was erected, one of the finest in this part of the State. It is sixty-five feet front by thirty-nine feet deep; the cellar is eight feet high, the two stories each twelve feet. It is surmounted by a slate roof, and cost $6,950.
Pacific Schools.—The first school meeting in Pacific (Franklin then) of which there is any record was held at Thomas Watson's store, September 10, 1855. A motion was made that a school-house be built on Lots 16 and 17 of the plat of the town of Franklin, the house to be a frame one, 24x36, and twelve feet high between floors; $1,000 to. be borrowed from the county school fund to pay for the building of the house; this sum to be paid back out of the taxes of the district No. 2, Township 43, Range 2 east). William C. Inks was excused from the payment of this tax because he had made a deed to the district for Lots 16 and 17. These are the lots on which the colored school is now located. The names of the voters in this school district, March 17, 1856, were Jesse Lolar, George King, Andrew P. Cowan, John Pyeatt, Robert Stanton, T. M. Ault, William Keatly, A. McCane, G. Frimming, James Muckie, A. Boastler, Philip Schenck, James B. Hopkins, William Sled, all of whom voted for William Mauthe as trustee that day. At a meeting of the citizens of the district, held January 25, 1856, it was decided to raise $800 for the building of a school-house, and to negotiate with the Freemasons in the district with reference to uniting the school-house and a hall, the latter for the Masons, under the same roof. On February 4, in as much as the negotiations with the Masons had fallen through, it was decided to erect a one-story building, and a proposal was received to build the house, seat it and plaster it for $800. With reference to levying a tax upon the district, a spirit of opposition manifested itself, and, in order to be sure they were in the right, the trustees thought it best to obtain the sense of the whole district, so circulated a petition with the object in view of obtaining the approval of a majority of all the legal voters in the district. The result was that thirty-two names were secured to the petition.
On May 1, 1850, the following receipt was given:
Received, Franklin, May 1, 1856, eight hundred dollars ($800), in full payment for buildingThe first meeting at the school-house of the qualified voters of the district was held pursuant to a call of the county commissioner, Saturday, January 28, 1810, when T. M. Ault, W. Keatly and Daniel Reed were elected trustees for the new year. The first teacher's name found n the record was that of Frank Laird, who, on September 28, 1857, received for one quarter's service as teacher, $110.35. The second name is that of O. C. Williams, who, on August 12, 1858, received for services as teacher, $50. In April, 1859, a Mr. Leavensworth received $60.84; on August 12, Hattie Gasset received $50; on November 18, $55, and on July 10, 1800, 895.30. On this same day Hiram Calvin received $50. The annual report for 1800 showed, male pupils, 02; females, 08; school lasted nine months; one male and one female teacher employed; salary for the former $32.16 per month, for the latter, $35. During the war, or until 1804, the school was in session but part of the time, and there were no funds, but the report made in April, 1854, showed the number of children to be males, 88; females, 77; and the number taught during the year to have been, males, 18; females, 15. There had been one male teacher at an average salary of $40 per month.
a school-house in the town of Franklin, Township 43, Range 2 east, District No. 2.
[ Signed] James Dawson.
James H. Chambers. H. Young.
Julius Kahrmann was engaged to teach in the fall of 1807, at an annual salary of $650. An addition to the school-house was erected by B. Langenbacher, for which he was paid $925. and for seats, desks, etc., $54.35. A special meeting of the district was held at the school-house, on Saturday, March 25, 1871, to take into consideration the erection of a new and suitable school-house, at which it was resolved to erect a new and separate building, and a committee of five was appointed, consisting of L. L. Seaburn, H. W. Close, Dr. Calkins, Philip Schenck and William Mauthe, to prepare plans and to make an estimate of the cost of the proposed building. A school-house site was purchased of two lots from J. H. Morley for $275, and of one lot from A. Sage for $250. H. W. Close took the contract to build the school-house, and received for his work and materials $5,474.79, making the land and the building cost $5,999.79. In addition to this sum enough additional was expended to bring the cost up to $7,000. The building is of brick, two stories high, and well and substantially built. Since 1870 the principals in this school have been Julius Kahrmann, 1871; Thomas Cochran, 1872-70; C. B. Isham, 1870-78; John T. Pope, 1878-80; J. W. Marion, 1880-82; William S. Anderson, 1882-83; E. B. McDonald, 1883-85; A. C. Brown, 1885-88.
The text books used are the following: McGuffey's readers, Webster's spellers, Ray's, Felter's and Quackenbos' arithmetic’s; Pinneo's grammer, Quackenbos' composition, and history, and the Eclectic geography. The report for April, 1887, showed an enumeration of males, 270; females, 200. A separate school is sustained for colored pupils, the enumeration of which was, males, 74; females, 60; making a total of 610 scholars in the district.
The corps of teachers at present is A. C. Brown, principal; Miss Katie Cleve, first assistant; Mrs. T. W. North, second assistant, and Miss Mary Scott, third assistant; J. B. Bailey is teacher of the colored school.
Franklin County, Missouri Genealogy Trails
© 2006 - 2008 by Genealogy Trails - All Rights Reserved - With full rights reserved for original submitters.