Gasconade County Missouri
The first action taken in Gasconade County by the county court in reference to the schools was on April 16, 1821, when Philip P. Boulware, William Clark, Joseph Morrow, William Hughs and James Kegam were appointed commissioners of the public lands allotted to Gasconade County for the benefit of the public schools. These commissioners were ordered to attend at the next term of the court to receive such instructions as the court might order. William West was appointed commissioner of school lands January 21, 1822.
On the 1st of July, 1820, two-thirds of the inhabitants living in Township 42, Range 8 west, petitioned the court to have said township organized and incorporated for the government and regulation of the schools, and the court being satisfied that said petition was reasonable, it was " ordered that the inhabitants of said district be incorporated by the name and style of The First School District, and it is further ordered that Sandford Bachus, James Burns and Kobert Eollins be appointed a board of trustees for the same."
April 4, 1830, James Caldwell was appointed trustee of the first school district in place of James Burns, and on the 25th of October, 1830, Eobert Kollins, Sandford Bachus and James Caldwell were appointed trustees of the first school district of Gasconade County. In 1831, Robert Eollins, Sandford Bachus and James Jett were trustees of the first school district in Gasconade County, and in July Sandford Bachus received $48.90 belonging to this district, the first reference to a school fund found upon the records. On the same day Joseph Waldo was appointed commissioner of school lands, and required to give bonds in the sum of $5,000. June 3, 1833, the court ordered that the commissioner of school lands sell at public auction, Section 16, Township 42, Range 8 west, and at private sale if the plan by public auction should fail. He was also ordered to sell that part of Section 16, Township 43, Range 11 west, that lay in Gasconade County. On the 2d of September, 1833, he was ordered to sell Section 16, Township 44, Range 6 west, the first sale ordered of school lands lying within the present limits of Gasconade County. On the 28th of October, 1833, Hugh Barclay, commissioner, made report of the sale of .Section 16, Township 42, Range 8 west, and during the year 1834 Section 16, Township 40, Range 5 west, was ordered to be sold. John B. Harrison was appointed school land commissioner in place of Hugh Barclay, resigned. December 1, 1834, Section 16, Township 43, Range 9 west, was ordered to be sold. May 2, 1836, the school lands in Township 43, Range 7 west, were ordered to be sold.
On October 23, 1843, Congressional Township 42, Range 5 west, was organized as School District No. 4, by the name of Independence School District. The first meeting of the inhabitants was fixed for the fourth Monday in November, 1843; Thomas Hibler was appointed commissioner of the district, and Isaac Smith and Thomas Smith, inspectors. On January 22, 1844, this same district was reorganized as Liberty School District; Francis Sullivan was appointed commissioner; Isaac Smith and Edward Luster, inspectors, and the first meeting of the inhabitants was ordered to be held at the house of Thomas Hibler, on the second Monday in March, 1844. On the same day the order organizing Bourbois School District was renewed, and the same was carried into effect by the inhabitants organizing themselves on the second Monday in March, 1844, at the house of William Kinkaid. Township 42, Kange 6 west, was organized as a school district, by the name of Marion School District, the first meeting of the inhabitants being fixed for the first Monday in June, 1844, at the house of Joshua Cox, who was appointed commissioner, and Joshua Burgess and Perry D. Williams, inspectors. Township 45, Range 4 west, was organized as a school district, November 2, 1844, to be called Roark School District; Thomas Roark was appointed commissioner, and David McKinley and Silas Hall, inspectors. The first meeting of the inhabitants was to be at the house of Thomas Roark, on the first Saturday in February, 1845. Township 41, Range 6 west, was organized on the same day as Dry Fork School District; Francis C. Wallace was appointed commissioner, and Philip Dearbin and William Reed, inspectors. The first meeting of the inhabitants was to be on the first Saturday in February, 1845. Township 44, Range 6 west, was organized January 31, 1845, as Lebanon School District; Thomas E. Clary was appointed commissioner, and Owen Shockley and John G. Huffmann, inspectors. The first meeting of the inhabitants was to be at the house of Henry Kirby, on the first Saturday in March, 1845. Roark School District was reorganized July 28, 1845. November 14, 1846, Township 46, Range 5 west, was organized; William B. Pannell being appointed commissioner, and Robert J. Skinner and Francis H. Kieny, inspectors. The first meeting of the inhabitants was fixed for the first Monday in January, 1847. February 16, 1847, Township 40, Range 5 west, was organized; Nimrod Eldridge being appointed commissioner, and Perry Eldredge and J. W. B. Reynolds, inspectors. The first meeting of the inhabitants was set for the first Monday in April, 1847, at the house of Nimrod Eldredge. On the same day Township 42, Range 6 west, was organized, with John Burgess, commissioner, and George W. Yeater and Fred. Barbuck, inspectors. The first meeting was to be at the house of Richard Shockley, on the third Saturday of September, 1847. Township 43, Range 4 west, was also organized on the same day, with William H. Chambers, commissioner, and William Maupin and George Adams, inspectors ; the first to be at the house of George Adams, on the fourth Saturday of September, 1847.
The first statement of the school fund of Gasconade found upon the records was for 1848, as follows: Township 40, Range 5 west, $35; Township 40, Range 6 west, 1410.84; Township 43, Range 4 west, $270.18; Township 43, Range 6 west, $387.97; Township 44, Range 6 west, $723.39; Township 45, Range 4 west, $302.01; total then accumulated, $2,129.39. In 1850 the school fund, including the interest due on money loaned, amounted to $4,105.76. At this time, according to the census of the United States, there were 3 public schools, 3 teachers, and 73 pupils in the county, and 95 adult males and 141 adult females unable to read and write.
More recent statistics show quite a contrast in the condition of the educational interests of the county. For 1877 the statistics were : Between six and twenty years of age—whites—males, 2,128, females, 2,099; colored—males, 6, females, 5. Enrollment: Males, 1,265, females, 975; scholars in attendance each day, 1,482; teachers employed—males, 49, females, 6; monthly salary—males, $35.51, females, $36.11; total amount of teachers' wages paid, $8,181.16; value of school property owned by districts, $17,885. For 1880, the figures were: Enumeration — whites—males, 2,120, females, 1,919; colored—males, 20, females, 12. Enrollment—whites—males, 1,332, females, 1,051; colored —males, 2, females, 3; average number of days' attendance of each child, 69.53; average number in attendance each day, 16.99; number of teachers employed—males, 44, females, 10; average salary of male teachers, $36.14; females, $33; total amount paid out to teachers, $10,056.30; value of school property, $17,870; total receipts of school moneys, $13,384.26. The statistics for 1887 were as follows: Enumeration—whites males, 2,132, females, 1,947; colored—males, 6, females, 3. Enrollment—males, 1,361, females, 1,039: average number of days' attendance of each child, 78; average number of scholars in attendance each day, 1,802; number of teachers employed males, 49, females, 8; average salary of male teachers, $48.01; of females, $35.08; total amount paid out to teachers, $11,839.54; value of school property, $29,174. The average annual increase in the public school funds of this county for the ten years previous to 1887, from fines, penalties, swamp land sales, etc., was $218.33. For the year ending July 1, 1886, the total receipts of school moneys were $19,958.72, and the total expenditures, $15,670.92. The county fund amounted to $14,492.21, and the township fund, $8,354.99, and the total of all funds, $22,847.90. The number of white schools in the county Avas 52; of colored schools, none, and the cost of educating each pupil per day was 7.9 cents. The number of third-grade certificates issued was 52; second-grade, 0, and first-grade, 1.
Hermann has always taken great interest in the success and efficiency of her schools. August 7, 1839, a committee was appointed, consisting of William Pommer, T. Leupold and D. Widersprecher, to examine Mr. Hume as to his knowledge of the English and German languages, and the examination being satisfactory, Mr. Hume, on the 12th, was appointed teacher of the town school on the following conditions
1. That he obey the instructions of the trustees of the town.
2. That his salary for the present shall be not less than $350 per annum.
3. That he shall attend school from 9 to 12 A. M. and from 2 to 4 P. M. in the winter, and from to 10 A. M. and from 2 to 4 P. M. in the summer; no school to be held Wednesday and Saturday afternoons.
4. That he give instructions in reading and writing the German and English languages, grammatics, arithmetic, history, geography and drawing.
5. That the school commence on the 26th of August, 1839. School books were to be furnished by the town, and sold to the parents of the children at cost price. There were to be bought 100 copies of Wilmsen's Kinderfreund, fifty copies of Webster's spelling books, $10 worth of common writing paper, quills and inkstands. A stove suitable for the schoolhouse was ordered in St. Louis, and a blank book for the purpose of registering the names of the children. Pupils from outside of the town were required to pay $1.50 per mouth. On September 21, 1840, Mr. Hume was notified that another teacher would be engaged to take his place, but that he could retain his office until his successor should be chosen, at the same salary he was then receiving, and it was ordered that two of the trustees visit the school together, so as to ascertain the progress the school was making. July 28, 1842, a certain quantity of land in Townships 45 and 40, Ranges 4 and 5 west, amounting to 1,170 acres, was deeded to Hermann School District. August 23, 1847, Charles Behne was appointed teacher for one year from September 1, at 8300. Children out of town but within the township were to be charged 50 cents per month; children out of the township but within the county, $1 per month, and children out of the county, $2 per month. December 22, 1847, it was ordered by the board "that for the benefit of Hermann Town School, a capital of $5,500 be and hereby is set aside as a permanent town school fund." Francis AV. Boeing was appointed trustee of this fund, which, on April 10, 1849, was paid over to the proper authorities. April 12, 1849, the town trustees were requested to meet with the school trustees on Saturday evening, the 14th, to consider school affairs, and on the 19th an examination of the school took place. It was then decided that large scholars should attend in the morning, and small ones in the afternoon. To the first class all should belong who wished to learn German, reading and writing. The school year was divided into two terms—one term from Easter to Michaelmas, the other from Michaelmas; no scholar to be under six years of age, and those attending must commence at the beginning of the term, except in cases of sickness and of those settling in Hermann during the term. Charles Behne agreed to teach up to August 1, 1849. In May, 1849, E. Muhl was authorized to buy a map of Europe, and in September Charles Behne was re-engaged. In 1850 the trustees of the school were J. Lessel, L. Austermell, Mr. Krotzsch and H. Kiehlmann; secretary, Julius Koch ; W. Krech was chosen teacher June 26. In 1851 the trustees were: F. W. Boeing, K. Schlender, C. Moller, H. Burkhardt, F. Kaempf; clerk, Julius Koch. Two teachers were employed for the school year 1851-52. March 29, 1852 a meeting of the citizens was held to take into consideration the interests of the German school. The question of building a schoolhouse came up, and it was considered best to build it out of town money, and then to so increase the fund as to be able to pay a second teacher. The trustees in 1852 were: F. W. Boeing, P. Hoffmann, C. Strehly, H. Burkhardt and R. Sch lender. Mr. Krech resigned as teacher, and Wilhelm Doerner was elected at $300 per year, from November, 1852. In 1853 the trustees were: r. W. Boeing, F. Hundhausen, C. Miller, P. Hoffmann, F. Kaempf, and Mr. Doerner was re-engaged in November, 1853. In 1854 the trustees were: E. Cramer, Gottlieb Straub, George Klinge, J. G. Christel ancV Conrad Baer; Mr. Doerner again engaged at $300 per year. In 1855 the trustees were: J. Klinge, E. C. Baer, J. H. Bohlken, J. Kesseling, A. Leonhard; clerk, Alfred Baer. In 185() the trustees were: John Feldmanu, J. Straub, P. Miller, A. Nasse and Alfred Behr; Mr. Doerner still retained at the same salary. In May, this year, the school fund was increased by $5,000, making it $10,500. Mr. Kaune was engaged as second teacher, August 18, 1850, at $250 per annum, and on February 16, 1857, AV. Gensert succeeded Mr. Kaune. In 1857 the trustees were: John Feldmann, P. Miller, J. Rommel and Peter Zorn.
In September F. R. Binde succeeded Mr. Gensert. In 1858 the trustees were Dr. Feldmann, Dr. Kaempf, Joseph Kessler, F. Hilker and E. Cramer; in 1859, Dr. Feldmann, Dr. Kaempf, Joseph Kessler, George Klinge and G. W. Wesselhoeft. F. R. Binde was engaged as principal teacher- at $400, and a Mr. Kilian for the second place at $300; in 1800 the board consisted of F. Kaempf, E. Cramer, W. Wesselhoeft, F. R. Hundhausen and Rudolph Schlender; in 1801 the same board; in 1802, J. G. Christel, F. Hundhausen, S. Rommel, Joseph AVeinert, William Wesselhoeft; in 1803, F. Hundhausen, E. Cramer, E. Krech, J. G. Christel, C. Gross; 1861:, Constance Riek, H. Schlender, H. L. Heckmann, Joseph Meinert; 1865, F. Hundhausen, E. Krech, E. Cramer, F. Hilker, August Riek. Mr. Gensert resigned as first teacher in September, and Mr. Buehrle was employed at $500 per annum. In 1863, the trustees were Dr. A. Nasse, Dr. Kaempf, F. Gritzner, J. J. Schmidt and John B. Miche; in 1867, Dr. Kaempf, Peter Saalmueller, George Christel, John Schmidt and Constance Riek. On February 23, 1867, at a meeting of the citizens to take into consideration the ways and means of uniting the two schools (an English school having been kept up separately from the German school), a committee was appointed, consisting of Kaempf, Dr. Feldmann, Otto Monnig, E. Kramer, Carl Nestel, H. L. Heckmann, August Neuenhahn, August Nasse, H. Reitemeyer, John B. Miche, Peter Saalmueller, Fred Gritzner, Louis Austermell, Ernst Lessel, John J. Schmidt and August Riek, who were to report to the meeting to be held March 3, 1867. Their report was to the effect that the schools of Hermann, being separated, were not doing what they could do were they united, because one of the schools was only temporary, and therefore it was
Resolved, That the schools be organized under the new school law as the Hermann Town School by the election of six directors as a board of education, the school to be divided into three classes; in the first the English language shall be taught, and in the second and third the German language shall be the leading one, but the English shall be taught as heretofore. The school year shall continue eleven months, from the first of September to the last of July.
In engaging teachers for the first class the board of education was to have control, but was required to consult with the trustees of the German school, and the latter were to engage the teachers for the second and third classes, but were to consult with the board of education. The question of adopting the new school law was submitted to the people March 14, 1807, and decided in favor of it by the vote of 100 to 4. Ad election was held, March 26, for members of the board of education, resulting in the choice of Otto Monnig, Dr. John Feldmann, Ernst Lessel, August Riek, August Neuenhahn and Michael Poeschel. The three teachers eno-aored were a Mr. Johnson, first class; Mr. Buehrlen, second class, and Bernard Rauck, third class. November 9, 1867, a meeting was held to consider the question of building a uew schoolhouse. This question was considered at a mass meeting on the 21:th, when it was resolved that a new school house should be built unless the cost should exceed $15,000. In 1868, the three teachers were, for the first class, Mr. Oberhaus; second and third classes, same as above. The board of education was Louis Austermell, George Cristel, Philipp Quandt, M. Eaecliele, Constance Riek. March 21, 1869, the German school board elected E. Cramer , Henry Fritzmeyer, Julius Hundhausen, F. R. Hilker and R. C. Schlender. On January 15, 1870, the committee reported that a schoolhouse could be built for from $5,000 to $6,000. This year the board was Julius Hundhausen, E. Cramer, H. Fritzmeyer, F. R. Hilker and R. C. Schlender; and Mr. Hammell was the first class teacher. Mr. Bohlken and Mr. Eitzen were appointed to go to St. Louis to see the schoolhouses there and to study their inside arrangements, and also to see an architect. June 25, Mr. Bohlken brought two plans before the board, one of which was to be selected at their next regular meeting, on July 2. At this meeting it was resolved to build as soon as possible, according to one of these plans, the building to be 70x37 feet, and twostories high, but the erection of the building was afterward put over until 1871. February 4, 1871 bonds were issued to the amount of $8,000, bearing 8 per cent interest, and to extend for ten years. Mr. Bohlken was chosen commissioner of the building:, and was to hire all the men. The teachers were, for the first, Mr. Buehrlen; for the second, Mr. Rauck; and for the third, H. C. !Ste})henson; and the board of trustees, C. D. Eitzen, August Begemann, Julius Hundhausen, E. Cramer and R. C. Schlender. F. Langendoerfer this year donated $100 for the use of the German school, and at the beginning of the school year 1871-72, George H. King became the principal of the school, retaining the position seven years. In 1872 the board was Julius Hundhausen, E. Cramer, R. C. Schlender. Mr Cramer donated his salary to the school, $100. In 1873 the officers were the same; in 1874, Julius Hundhausen, E. Cramer, Louis Teitzel, August Neuenhahn and R. C. Schlender; in 1875, R. C. Schlender, E. Cramer, Dr. John Feldmann, August Neuenhahn, Christ. Kuhn; in 1876, Dr. J. Feldmann, E. Cramer, August Neuenhahn, Christ. Kuhn, R. C. Schlender; in 1877, the same; in 1878, Dr. J. Feldmann, William C. Boeing, Christ. Kuhn, August Neuenhahn, R. C. Schlender; in 1879 same board; in 1880, L. Meyer, W. C. Boeing, Christ. Kuhn, August Neuenhahn and R. C. Schlender ; in 1881, L. Meyer, W. C. Boeing, A. Meyer, August Neuenhahn, R. C. Sclilender; in 1882, L. Meyer, A. Meyer, Theodor Bergner, Ed. Koeller, Louis Kielmann; in 1883, L. Meyer, A. Meyer, Louis Kielmann, William Heckmann and Gustav Ettmueller; in 1884, A. C. Leisner, H. Heckmann, A. Meyer, L. Meyer and G. Ettmueller; 1885, A. C. Leisner, Jacob Rodhfuchs, Kobert Baumgaertner, August Meyer, G. Ettmueller; 1886, Jacob Rodhfuchs, A. Meyer, Christ. Bieger, Hugo Kropp, K. Baumgaertner; and in 1887, Christ. Bieger, C. D. Eitzen, William Klinger, Clirist. Sclilender and Bobert Baumgaertner. The school fund in April, 1887, amounted to $10,477.39.
In 1873, F. B. Daleiden succeeded Mr. Bauck, and, in 1874, Carl Durand succeeded Mr. Daleiden. Mr. Durand resigned August 18, 1875, and was succeeded in September by L. Boepke, at $700 per year; Messrs. King and Buehrlen each to receive $750. July 21, 1876, F. H. Hilker was engaged to teach the fourth class at 8450 per year, and, in 1877, Mr. Buehrlen's salary was reduced to 8700. July 5, 1878, both Mr. Buehrlen and Mr. Boepke were discharged, and, it Avas resolved to engage a lady teacher for the third class. Adeline Loehr was engaged, and G. W. Barteldes for the second class. August 4, 1879, M. Boos was engaged to teach the third class, and, in 1880, A. Labhardt was employed as principal. March 5, 1881, M. Boos was discharged, and G. A. Freund engaged in his place at 850 per month. July 1, 1881, the teachers engaged for the ensuing year were: A. Labhardt, at 8700; G. AV. Barteldes, at 8650; G. A. Freund, at 8500, and Yeleda Hilker, at 8450. Mr. Barteldes was discharged December 9, 1882, and, on the 28th, Henrietta Wittmann took his place. Early in 1883, Mr. Labhardt resigned, and entered the business of merchandising, and was succeeded by Mr. Adelmann. In May, 1883, Mr. Adelmann was engaged for the year 1883-84, at 880 per month, with 850 gratuity if the bo^rd was satisfied with him at the end of the year. In July, 1883, a fifth class was established, and Miss Bertha Durer engaged as teacher. In December, 1883, Mr. Adelmann became sick, and Mr. Ohly took his place at 875 per month. In January, 1884, S. A. Kleinschmidt became teacher of the second class, and, in May, 1885, Miss L. C. Meyer was engaged to teach the fifth class. In July, 1885, the present efiicient principal of the school was engaged at $65 per month, as teacher, and $50 per year as superintendent. The enumeration of the school for 1887, was: Males 274, females 281, total 555; the enrollment—males 160, females 126, total 286; average attendance—males 124, females 112, total 230.
A brief account of the consolidation of the schools has been given above with the names of the first board of education. Following may be found a more or less complete list of the members of the board to the present time. For the sake of comparison, however, the following enumeration of the scholars, in 1867, is introduced: White—males 325, females 289, total 614; colored— males 8, females 4, total 12; total enumeration, 626; attendance males 195, females 190, total attendance 385. Board elected May 5, 1868—C. P. Strehly, C. D. Eitzen, Philipp Schneider, Peter Miller, S. W. Maushund and E. Krech. Afterward two members were elected each year, and for three years. In September, 1868, E. Krech and S. W. Maushund; 1869, August Begemann and C. P. Strehly; 1870, C. D. Eitzen and Philipp Schneider; 1871, S. W. Maushund and W. C. Boeing; 1872, Hermann Schlender and P. W. Hincke; 1873, C. D. Eitzen and Rudolph Hirzel; 1874, Constance Riek and Christ Kuhn; 1875, P. W. Hinke and John Scherer; 1876, C. D. Eitzen and Rudolph Hirzel; 1878, board was C. D. Eitzen. H. Honeck, Robert Robyn, Hermann Schlender, John Scherer; 1879, John Scherer and Rudolph Hirzel, for three years—November 7, Rudolph Hirzel resigned and Francis Oncken was elected to the vacancy; 1880, C. D. Eitzen, Francis Oncken, H. Honeck, Hermann Schlender. In the spring of 1880 the enumeration of the school children of the district showed: Between six and twenty—males 255, females 266, total 521; attendance—males 132, females 108, total 240. 1881, board,. H. Honeck, Robert Robyn, for three years; 1882, W. C. Boeing, W. Herzog; 1883, C. D. Eitzen, Francis Oncken; 1884, Robert Robyn, H. Honeck; 1885, W. Herzog, Conrad Klinge; 1886, Charles Fugger, Francis Oncken; 1887, Robert Robyn and G. Ettmueller. The teachers at the present time are J. Pfaff, $75 per month; G. A. Freund, at $70; A. Walker, at $65; Louise E. Weikusat at $40, and Miss E. Hirkel at $40.
History of Franklin, Jefferson, Washington, Crawford and Gasconade Counties Missouri
Published by Goodspeed Publishing Company 1888
BACK -- HOME
by Genealogy Trails