Gasconade County Missouri
This indenture made on the 14th day of November in the year of our Lord 1837, between George F. Bayer, of the city of Philadelphia, in the State of Pennsylvania, merchant, and Catharine, his wife, of the one part; and Adam Maag, of the district of Spring Garden, in the county of Philadelphia, bottler; Adam Smith, of the Northern Liberties, of the City of Philadelphia, morocco dresser; Jacob Hummell, of the Northern Liberties, aforesaid, morocco dresser; and Frederick Klett, of the Northern Liberties, aforesaid, druggist, of the other part, witnesseth that the said George F. Bayer and Catharine his wife, as well for and in consideration of the sum of one dollar ($1) lawful money of the United States of America, unto them, at or before the sealing and delivery hereof by the said Adam Maag, Adam Smith, Jacob Hummell, and Frederick Klett, well and truly paid, the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged, as for divers other causes and considerations them thereunto moving, have granted, etc., and by these presents do hereby grant, etc., unto the said trustees and to their heirs and assigns, etc., all those forty-five certain tracts or bodies of land, situated, lying and being in the county of Gasconade, Mo., to wit: The west half of the northeast quarter of Section 35, Township 45, Range 5 west, 80 acres, conveyed by the Government to Stephen Atkins, by duplicate No. 5,660, dated at St. Louis, October 19, 1835; the southeast fractional quarter of Section 26, Township 46, Range 5 west, 73.95 acres, conveyed by Government to William Guyler by duplicate No. 7,678, dated at St. Louis, August 29, 1836, and conveyed by Guyler to Stephen Atkins, by deed dated September 18, 1836; the west half of the southeast fractional quarter of Section 25, Township 46, Range 5 west, containing 47.54 acres, conveyed by Government to Charles Roark by duplicate No. 7,435, dated at St. Louis, July 20, 1836; the southwest fractional quarter of Section 25, Township 46, Range 5 west, containing 86.60 acres, as per patent of the general land office at Washington, dated February 11, 1832, and numbered 2,592; the north half of the northwest quarter of Section 36, Township 46, Range 5 west, 80 acres, conveyed by Government to William Guyler by duplicate No. 7,678, dated August 29, 1836, and conveyed by William Guyler to Willis Hensley by deed dated September, 1837; the south half of Section 2, Township 45, Range 5 west, 320 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,636, dated at St. Louis, September 1, 1837; the southeast quarter of Section 3, Township 45, Range 5 west, 160 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate 9,637, dated at St. Louis, September 21, 1837; the south half of the northeast quarter and the west half of the northeast quarter, the west half of the southeast quarter and the southwest quarter of Section 4, Township 45, Range 5 west, 395.42 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,638, September 21, 1837; the southwest fractional quarter of Section 26, Township 46, Range 5 west, 48.10 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,639, September 21, 1837; the northeast fractional quarter and the east half of the southeast fractional quarter of Section 33, Township 46, Range 5 west, 90.68 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,640. dated September 21, 1837; the north fractional half of Section 34, Township 46, Range 5 west, 220.61 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,641, September 21, 1837; the south half of the northwest quarter and the west half of the southeast quarter of the northeast quarter and the southwest quarter of Section 36, Township 46, Range 5 west, 360 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,642 September 21, 1837; the northwest quarter of Section 35, Township 46, Range 5, west, 160 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,643, September 21, 1837; the east half of Section 10, Township 45, Range 5 west, 320 acres conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,644, September 21, 1837; the east half of the northwest quarter of Section 35. Township 46. Rani^e 5 west, 120 acres, conveyed by Government to Godfrey Schoenthaler by duplicate No. 9,645, dated at St. Louis September 22, 1837; the west fractional half of the southwest quarter of Section 29, Township 46, Range 4 west, 39.73 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Baverly duplicate 9,689, October 4, 1837; the west fractional half of the southeast quarter of Section 30, Township 46. Range 4 west, 53.62 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,090, October 4, 1837; the east half and the southwest quarter of the northwest quarter, and the northeast quarter of Section 31, Township 46, Range 4 west. 250.07 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,691. October 3, 1837; the east half of the northeast quarter and the southeast quarter of Section 5, Township 45, Range 5 west, 23'^. 90 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9.692, October 4. 1837; the northwest quarter and the south half of Section 14, Township 45, Range 5 west, 480 acres, conveyed b}' Government to George F. Bayer hy duplicate No. 9,693, October 4, 1837; the cast half and the southwest quarter of the northwest quarter and the southwest quarter of Section 9, Township 45, Range 4 west, 280 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Baj-er October 4, 1837; the east half and the northwest quarter, the southeast quarter of the southeast quarter, the northeast quarter and the southwest quarter of Section 8, Township 45, Range 1 west, 480 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9.700. October 4, 1837; the west half of Section 17, Township 45, Range 4 west, 320 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,701, October 4, 1837; the west half of the northwest quarter and the southwest quarter of Section 32, Township 46, Range 4 west, 240 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,702, October 4, 1837; the south half of the northwest quarter and the northeast quarter of Section 22, Township 45, Range 6 west. 240 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,703. October 4, 1837; the north half and the southeast quarter of Section 23, Township 45, Range 6 west, 450 acres, convej^ed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,704, October 4, 1837; the north half of Section 24, Township 45, Range 6 west, 320 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,705, October 4, 1837; Section 5, Township 45, Range 5 west, 640.16 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer, No. 9,706, October 4, 1837; the south half of the northeast fractional quarter, and the northwest fractional quarter and the south half of Section 21, Township 46, Range 6 west, 504.68 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,707, October 4, 1837; the northeast quarter of Section 7, Township 45, Range 4 west, 160 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,708, October 4. 1837; the northwest and southeast quarters of the southeast quarter and the southwest quarter of Section 19, Township 45, Range 5 west, 376.40 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer October 4, 1837, by duplicate No. 9,709; a portion of Section 20, Township 45, Range 6 west, 828.91 acres, conveyed by .Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate 9,710, October 4, 1837; the southwest fractional quarter of Section 3, Township 44, Range 6 west, 73.58 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,728, October 9, 1837; a part of Section 4, Township 44, Range 6 west, 132.44 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9.729, October 9, 1837; Section 9. Township 44, Range 6 west, 640 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,730, October 9, 1837; the west fractional half of Section 10, Township 44, Range 6 west, 162.73 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,731, October 9, 1837; part of Section 15, Township 44, Range 6 west, 359.13 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,732, October 9. 1837; a portion of Section 25, Township 46, Range 5 west, 74.46 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,733, October 9, 1837; portions of Sections 32 and 33, Township 46, Range 5 west, 202.75 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate 9,734, October 9, 1837; portions of Section 9, Township 45, Range 5 west, 160 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,735, October 9, 1837; portions of Section 15, Township 45, Range 5 west, 480' acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,736, October 9, 1837; a portion of Section 29, Township 45, Range 5 west, 80 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,737, October 9, 1837; portions of Section 30, Township 45, Range 5 west, 265.27 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,738, October. 9, 1837; portions of Section 26, Township 45, Range 4 west, 250 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,752, October 10, 1837; and the north half of Section 34, Township 45, Range 4 west, 320 acres, conveyed by Government to George F. Bayer by duplicate No. 9,753, October 10, 1837, conveying to them in trust, 'for the use and benefit of the members of the association, styled "Die Deutsche Ansiedlung Geschellschaft" (the German Settlement Society), and under and subject to and in compliance with all the rules and articles of association made and adopted, or which may be hereafter made and adopted by the members of said association. (Signed) G. F. Bayer. Catharine Bayer.
Such is the remarkable deed by which George F. Bayer formally transferred to the trustees of the German Settlement Society 10,467 acres of land for the nominal sum of $1, for the benefit of the members of the association. The deed was filed for record in the office of E. McJilton, recorder, September 21, 1838, and recorded on the 28th of the same month. On the 1st of November, 1839, the trustees above named, to whom Mr. Bayer had transferred the land, themselves transferred the same land, except such portions as had in the meantime been sold by them to private individuals, and also the west half of the southeast fractional quarter of Section 25, Township 46, Range 5 west, containing 47.55 acres, purchased by them of Polly Phillips, to the corporation known as the inhabitants of the town of Hermann, one of the conditions being that shares should never be reduced below $50.
The association at a meeting held November 7, 1837, in Philadelphia, ordered Mr. Bayer to return to the settlement at Hermann, but in a short time afterward excused him from obedience to the order on account of sickness. On the 4th of the same month he had been authorized to buy provisions for the settlement and to sell the same to the inhabitants at cost price. He was also authorized to have a sawmill built at the new settlement, the cost of which should not exceed $500. The Association also decided to reserve for itself lots on Wharf Street, and to sell them during the first three months at $150 each, the purchaser of one of these lots being required to build a house thereon within one year from time of purchase, worth at least $500, and the association at the same time resolved to sell to no one member more than 200 acres of land. The plan of the town was adopted at this meeting. Market Street to run north and south, to be ten feet wider than Market Street in Philadelphia, and to have a market house in the middle of the street. There were to be four public squares on Blocks 33, 38, 83 and 88, and a tract of land, 2,000 feet south of the south, as broad as the town from east to west, to be reserved for the association. On the east and west sides of the town there was to be a promenade 100 feet wide, the entire length of the town from north to south. On January 3, 1839, it was considered whether it would not be better to conduct the business of the association at Hermann instead of at Philadelphia. September 17, 1839, it was resolved that the trustees of the association at Philadelphia and those at Hermann make a trust deed to the town council at Hermann, which act virtually closes the history of the association so far as its separate action is concerned, and it is now necessary to devote the space in this sketch to the immediate affairs of the settlers themselves.
It was stated above that on November 7, 1837, George F. Bayer was ordered to return to the new settlement at Hermann, but that he was excused some days afterward from obedience to the order on account of sickness. Those who did start, however, at the time Mr. Bayer was intending to start, and who say Mr. Bayer then came as far west as Pittsburgh, Penn., where, on account of sickness, he remained some weeks, with his family, were Christopher Oelschlager, wife and one child; G. Henry Gentner and wife, married November 7, 1837, and both still living at Hermann; Daniel Oelsclilager, wife and one child; Henry Johns, wife and two children; George Riefenstahl, wife and five children. This party traveled from Philadelphia to Harrisburg, Penn., on the cars; thence to Pittsburgh, Penn., on the canal, and thence to Hermann, Mo., on the steamboat down the Ohio River, and up the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers to their destination ; passing up the Missouri on the last boat up that season, and arriving at Hermann December 6, 1837. They landed on the bluff below the mouth of Frene Creek, and had to cross that creek to get to the end of their journey. At that time there was a farmer living on the town site named Willis Hensley, and there was not even a log house along the river nearer than St. Charles. Besides Mr. Hensley's house there was also a hewed log house standing a little below^ the present residence of Probate Judge Oncken's. These were above the mouth of Frene Creek. Below this creek lived Polly Phillips, a widow ; Stephen Atkins lived where Mr. Herzog now lives. None of tliese houses had glass windows, and, as Mr. Gentner was a carpenter, and as there had been brought to Hermann some window glass, he made a sash window and put it in Mr. Hensley's house. This window was an object of great admiration to the primitive inhabitants of Hermann, and all the rest then wanted windows put in their houses, but the information seems credible that Mr. Gentner did not put a window in the Widow Phillips' house. Mr. Hensley's house contained a loom for weaving t^ie material for home-made clothing, which was generally worn here previous to the arrival of these new settlers, but when Mrs. Gentner's calico dress came to be seen by Mr. Hensley's daughter, nothing would satisfy her but a calico dress. Across the Missouri River and about two miles above was Hunter's store, to which a party of men, having crossed the river on the ice, went soon afterward, and brought down a load of goods on a small hand sled, among them the material for the coveted calico dress.
About a month after the arrival of the settlers named above Jacob Rommell arrived at Hermann, having walked out from St. Louis, and in the spring following, Mrs. Phillips and Mr. Hensley moved away from Franklin County, and Stephen Atkins bought a farm on Second Creek, not far from the present location of Bay postoffice. Jacob Rommell, mentioned above, cut the first timber and sold the logs to a cigarmaker named Dehs, who came in the spring of 1838, in company with eight or ten other families to Hermann, at the head of whom was George F. Bayer, the general agent of the association. The names of some of the heads of these new families were Krauter, Kroeber, Meyer, Rohrbacher, Maushund, Nieder, Weber,. Quandt, Nuesche and Morlock. Mr. Bayer had a shanty built in March, 1838, himself living meanwhile in the hewed log house standing in front of where Charles D. Eitzen's store now stands. Daniel Oelschlager moved into Hensley's stable, fixed up a bedstead and set up a stove, the only one then in Hermann, and now standing in Mr. Gentner's smoke house. Dehs' hewed log house stood just east of the site of the present flouring-mill, on Front and Guttenberg Streets; Morlock was the next to build, where now stands the residence of R. N. Hasenritter, adjoining Concert Hall Garden. Kroeber and Meyer built a double log house, two stories high, on Front Street, opposite the present courthouse. John HoflPmann built on Front Street, the building now occupied by Mrs. C. Silber as a millinery store, and adjoining that house to the eastward G. H. Gentner built a double two-story log house for two families. This house was removed in 1885, and the site is now occupied by the fine meat market of H. Geiseke. Krauter built on Wharf Street, where Charles D. Eitzen's dwelling house now is. Among the newcomers of 1838 were Francis Jacob Langendoerfer, Charles Trautwein and Charles D. Eitzen. About 150 persons in all came to the settlement that year, some of them remaining in Hermann, others going into the country and settling down on farms. The following are the names of some of those who came in 1839: William Edward and Louis Pommer, brothers. Their father came with them part of the way, but died en route. George Noe, Paul Hoffmann, John Kohl, Greber, both carpenters; John Bohlken, still living; Henry Heinrich, a carpenter, August Leonhardt, a tinsmith, and for a number of years the main leader in the preparation of theatrical entertainments, now living in Washington, Franklin County; John Idemann, a house carpenter; Louis Breyer, a shoemaker, who remained about six months and then returned to Philadelphia; Charles Helmendach, a farmer, and Gottlieb Grossmann. By the beginning of 1840 there were about 200 inhabitants in the town.
The first storekeeper in Hermann was H. W. D. Wiedersprecher, whose store stood where now, on Wharf Street, stands the store of C. D. Eitzen, who was Mr. Wiedersprecher's clerk for about three years, at the end of which time, in 1841, the clerk bought out the proprietor, and has been in business at the same place ever since. While new settlers were arriving in considerable numbers, everything passed off smoothly in the new town, but in a few years money became scarce and hard times followed. In 1842 and 1843, a good many people left and went together places, some to St. Joseph, some to St. Louis. Mr. Leupold kept a store a short time in Hermann, as also did Mrs. Pommer. The first gunsmiths in the town were Morlock and Rudolph, who were also the first blacksmithSjCommencing business in 1838 ; the first shoemaker was John Nieder, and the second Francis Langendoerfer, both in 1838; the first carpenter was a Mr. Betzhold, the second Paul Hoffmann, and the third G. H. Gentner, the latter being also a cabinet-maker. Drugs were for a long time kept in the general stores; the first physicians were Drs. Kramer and Kempf, in 1842; the first frame house was built by Hans Wiedersprecher, in August, 1838, and the first brick house was built by H. W. D. Wiedersprecher, on Wharf Street, just above Mr. Eitzen's store. It is at present used as a saloon, by Albert Schubert, the saloon being known as "Jumbo Saloon." The first birth in Hermann was that of Hermann Strecker, date unknown; the second that of Hermann Bensing, Sr., and the third that of Charles Hoelin. George F. Bayer, whose name is more prominently connected with the settlement of Hermann than that of any other man, was born in Weingarten, Baden, September 27, 1800, and died at Hermann, Mo., March 18, 1839. His widow, in 1841, was married to Joseph Dayon, who is now living in South St. Louis. She died in 1880.
From 1854, when the Pacific Railroad was built through the town, to 1861, when the War of the Rebellion was inaugurated, money w^as plenty and times were good, and at the latter date the population was about 1,500, which is about its present (1888) population. The houses were then, however, not so good and substantial as at the present time, tliey now being mostly frame and brick. There had been prosperous times previous to the building of the railway. Commencing some time between 1840 and 1850, iron from the Meramec Iron Furnace, situated in Crawford County, about sixty-five miles south of Hermann, was hauled across the country by means of ox teams to Hermann, for shipment down the Missouri Eiver to St. Louis. Most of the iron came in blooms of about 100 pounds weight. Previous to the establishment of the Chouteau Iron Works at Si Louis, these blooms found their way to Cincinnati, Wheeling and Pittsburgh. About two tons was the usual load for a team of from four to eight yoke of oxen, and these ox teams always returned to the Meramec Iron Works, loaded down with dry goods and provisions for the men. When the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad was constructed through Crawford County, it was no longer necessary to haul iron blooms to Hermann, nor dry goods from Hermann.
Another profitable business enjoyed by Hermann for some years was the trade in short-leafed southern pine lumber, which, like the iron, was hauled from a long distance southward, and piled up along the Missouri River in front of the town, whence it was shipped by boat to St. Louis and other lumber markets. For some years this was a very important feature of the business life of Hermann, which lasted almost up to the time of the war. The lumber usually sold at from $4 to $5 per thousand, and occasionally there was piled up at the same time, on the wharf at Hermann, as much as 200,000 feet of this southern pine lumber. The first newspaper published in Hermann was started in 1840, by a Mr. Muellenstehle, and was named Die Volksfreuyid. One thing very remarkable about this paper was that it advocated the abolition of slavery. A most serious occurrence of 1842 is still remembered by all who are now living who were living in Hermann at that time, viz.: the explosion of a steamboat, on the river, named the " Big Hatchie." Many lives were lost, and many were severely scalded and wounded. A large frame house in Hermann was used as a hospital. Thirty-five of the dead lie buried in the cemetery at Hermann, and many bodies never were recovered from the waters of the Missouri River.
The first church buikling was erected in Hermann in 1844:, by the Evangelical Church. Its first pastor was the Rev. Frederick Hundhausen. At the outset this church was independent; finding, however, that it could not sustain itself, it secured aid from the missionary society. The Catholic Church was also built the same year.
Hermann has always been very particular about her schools. From the first a school has been sustained, in which both the German and English languages have been taught. At its establishment this school received §1,500 from the trustees of the town, and afterward this sum was increased to $10,000. This amount is still maintained as a kind of endowment fund, the interest only being used. For a number of years it was separate from the public school fund, but since 1871, when the present schoolhouse was built, the two funds have been blended, and the teachers have been paid regular salaries.
In pursuance of notice published in Hermann, March 2, 1807, a book of subscription to shares of stock in Hermann Savings Bank was opened March 4, following. The shares were fixed at $300, and 10 per cent to be paid in. The idea of starting the bank originated with Philip Weber, and the bank was organized under an act of the Legislature passed March 19, 1866, and was entitled " An act for the formation of savings banks." There were forty-four subscribers to the capital stock of the bank, which was fixed at $50,000. The first directors of the bank were P. W. Hinke, George Husmann, Fred Kaempf, A. Loewenberg, Otto Monnig, Henry Keitemeyer and Philip Weber. Otto Monnig was made president, Henry Reitemeyer, vice-president, and Philip Weber, cashier. The bank was opened for business May 1, 1867, in the building now occupied by the " Jumbo Saloon," where it remained until June 2, 1868, when it was removed to the Kessler Building, on Schiller Street, between Front and Second Streets. December 6, 1873, the bank bought the property now occupied, on Front Street, the Weinert Building, for $4,000, and moved into it January 6, 1874. Philip Weber was killed in the vault of the bank, April 16, 1880, by an explosion, which, it is thought, was caused by some powder taking fire while he was in the vault with a light. John Scherer was appointed cashier temporarily, and on the 19th of the same month Kobert Kobyn was appointed and has been cashier ever since. The capital stock of the bank was reduced June 6, 1882, from $50,000 to $30,000, at which it still remains. John Scherer was elected vice-president December 6, 1870, and served as such officer until chosen president, when Michael Jordan was elected vice-president. Eugene F. Kippstein was appointed assistant cashier, January 6, 1882. Deposits are received of $1 and upward, which draw interest at three per cent per annum when the deposit amounts to $10.
Hermann Star Mills were built by Mr. Keidemeyer in 1860. The building is of brick, four and a-half stories high, 45x65 feet in size, and cost about $40,000. It originally had five run of buhrs, propelled by a steam engine of 125 horse power, having a capacity of 160 barrels of flour per day. The property was bought in 1872 by George A, Klinger. and the milling business was carried on by him until his death in 1886, when his sons, W. and R. Klinger, became the proprietors, and now conduct the business. Eighteen double sets of the Case rolls were put in in 1884, at an expense of $15,000, a new steam engine having been set up in 1880, costing $7,000. The present capacity of the mill is about 240 barrels of flour per day, and the entire property is worth $30,000.
Hermann Lodge, No. 123, A. E. and A. M., was chartered May 10, 1850, with seven members: August Leimer, W. M. ;Sol. Keinzey, S. W. ; I. W. Stafford, J. W. ; J. Kessler, S. D. J. M. Traker, J. D ; C. Moller, Secretary ; Jacob Schiefer, Treasurer ; C. Goldkofer, Tyler. At present there are thirty-six members in the lodge, and the officers are William Klinger, W. M. ; H. H. Rulle, S. W; G. F. Heineke, J. W. ; E. W. Wild, Secretary; William Eberlin, Treasurer; George Kraettly, Jr., S. D. ; A. B. Walker, J. D. ; H. Sobbe, S. S. ; Daniel Haid, J. S. ; C. A. Riek, Tyler. The lodge is at present in a flourishing condition, and a large number of Masons have received the various degrees at this lodge, this having been especially the case during the California excitement in 1849.
The Harmonie Singing Society was organized January 29, 1875, for the purpose of educating the people in vocal music and of giving concerts. Julius Hundhausen was the first president of the society; William C. Boering, vice-president; Rudolph Hirzel, secretary; Oscar T. Mertens, treasurer; Fritz Yalantin, librarian, and Theodor P. Stork, director. As a general thing, about four concerts have been given each year, from the proceeds of which a fine piano has been purchased. A fund is also provided by means of monthly dues, for the purpose of keeping up the musical library and to pay the director. The present officers are William C. Boeing, president; R. H. Hasenritter, vice-president; Charles Neuenhahn, secretary; Philipp Kuhn, treasurer; Charles Kimmel, librarian, and Theodor P. Stork, director. Prof. Stork has filled the office of director ever since the organization of the society, and under his instruction and leadership the " Harmonie" has developed into one of the finest musical societies in the State.
The Hermann Apostle Band was organized July 30, 1882, with twelve members: Louis Rincheval, August Riek, Louis Teitzel, John Teitzel, Theodor Graf, Henry German, Charles Maushund, Henry Maushund, Albert Schubert, Charles Honeck, Pritz Beversdorf and P. Keune. The present members are the same, except that the places of Louis Teitzel, John Teitzel and Henry German have been filled by Albert Mumbrauer, Henry Evaldt and Mr. Seltzmann. This band plays on instruments imported direct from Europe, and gives an occasional concert.
The Menitz Apostle Orchestra was organized February 1, 1882, and consists of fourteen members.
Girard Assembly, No. 5980, K. of L., was organized March 7, 1886, with twenty-one members. The first officers were Andrew Bock, M. W. ; Charles Sperry, W. P. ; Charles Maushund, P. S.; Charles Honeck, R. S. ; H. A. Hibbard, Y. S. ; Louis Kiehlmann, Treas. The present membership is sixty-three, and the present officers are Henry Bock, M. W. ; Charles Honeck, W. P. ; H. A. Hibbard, V. S. ; Charles T. Maushund, R. S. ; August Baer, F. S. ; Henry German, W. I. ; Louis Kiehlmann, Treas. ; Paul Calame, U. K. ; Edward Honeck, I. E. ; Charles German, O. E.; Charles Sperry, S. This assembly has been of great service to its members in the way of rendering needed assistance, and is in a good, healthy condition.
Hermann Lodge, No. 77, K. of P.,was organized July 14, 1882, with fifteen members. The officers were O. T. Mertens, P. C.; Otto E. Monnig, C. C. ; Theodor Graf, V. C. ; G. Ettmueller, P. Charles Honeck, M. E. ; William L. Heckmann, M. F. ; John Sutter, K. of E. and S. ; Frank Thomas, M. A. ; Julius Graf, I. G. ; Albert Christel, O. G. The present membership is twenty-six, and the present officers: F. L. Wensel, P. C. ; O. E. Monnig, C. C. ; Julius Graf, V. C. ; Theodor Graf, P. ; Charles Honeck, M. E. ; Gustav Wodet, M. F. ; Henry Bock, K. of R. and S. ; Henry Fleemann, M. A. ; Jacob Schwab, I. G. ; Ferd. Bold, O. G. The lodge meets on Friday, and is in excellent financial and social condition.
Hermann Mutual Insurance Association was organized in January, 1860, with George Klinge, president; Philip Schneider, vice-president; E. B. Miclie, secretary; H. Reitmeyer, cashier and Louis Austermell, Peter Mueller and Magnus Will, inspectors. The present officers are William C. Boeing, president; H. Honeck, vice-president; B. A. Niehoff, treasurer; Hermann Schlender, secretary, and Hermann Bensing and JoJin Goodmann, inspectors.
Hermann Lodge, No. 32, A. O. U. W., was organized with twelve members September 1, 1886. The first officers were: Edmund Nasse, Med. Ex. and Rec. ; E. M. Clark, M. W. ; Christ Noe, P. M. W.; Julius Graf, F. ; Theodor Graf, Rec; R. C. Mumbrauer, Fine. ; Joseph Jeager, O. ; Ed. Hoffmann, Guide ;John Land, I. W. ; F. W. Rulle, O. W. ; George Schneider and Edward Voss. The present membership is also twelve, as follows: E. M. Clark, P. M. W. ; Edmund Nasse, M. W. ; F. W. Hueller, F. ; August Meyer, Rec. ; Theodor Graf, Fine. ; Julius Graf, Rec. R. C. Mumbrauer, O. ; Joseph Jeager, Guide; F. W. Rulle, I. W. Fred. Ochsner, O. W. ; John H. Meyer and William Meyer. The lodge meets on each second and fourth Monday in each month. The only death loss, $2,000, paid so far, was that of John Land, who died by drowning June 22, 1886.
Manwaring Post, No. 320, G. A. R., was organized in the spring of 1887 with the following officers: W. L. Heckmann, C. Louis Meyer, S. V. C. ; Fred Koeller, J. V. C. ; E. M. Clark, O. D. : H. L. Heckmann, Q. M. ; Gottlieb Biebusch, Chaplain ; J. W. Ingram, O. G. ; Courad Klinge, Adjt. ; Louis Rencheval, Q. M. S., and Christ. Schlender, S. M. The present officers are the same, except the following: Louis Rencheval, S. Y. C. ; Casper Schubert, J. V. C. ; Louis Meyer, Chaplain ; J. W. Ingrum, O. D. ; Gottlieb Biebusch, O. G. ; Mr. Lawrence, Q. M. S. ; Albert Reasamen. Sent. The charter members are as follows : Conrad Klinge, John W. Ligrum, Charles Klick, Francis Baer, Lorenz Rauss, Hy. L. Heckmann, Jacob Baer, William M. Clark, August Toedmann, John Hoersch, Christopher Schlender, Fred Koeller, Gottlieb Biebusch, Charles Mumbrauer, Louis Meyer, William L. Heckmann, Frank Scheidecker, Casper Schubert, Aaron Bensing, John Flusch, Louis Rencheval, Albert Ribsamen, John Guttmann. There are now about sixty members. Hermann Fire Company, No. 1, was organized in October, 1859. Its present officers are Hugo Kropp, captain; Gottfried Bay, assistant captain; Charles Rieger, lieutenant; Charles Fugger, treasurer ; William Monnig, secretary. This company has an excellent steam fire engine, and has done effective work in extinguishing fires. A hook and ladder company was organized in 1884.
Hermann Mutual Savings Fund Association was incorporated August 22, 1885. The officers were G. Ettmueller, president; Jacob Rothfuchs, vice-president; M. P. Bensing, secretary; H. Honeck, treasurer; directors—Casper Christmann, A. C. Leisner, Joseph Leising, F. W. Rothemeyer aud F. L. Wensel. The capital stock consists of 350 shares at $200 each.
Robert Blum Lodge, No. 46, I. O. O. F., was chartered April 27, 1850. The charter members were Louis Austermell, N. G.; Christopher Hoffmann, O. G., Fritz Tuebner, Sec, August Lehnard, U. G. ; Henry Kehr, W. The present officers are Nicholas Fleutsch, N. G. ; G. Ettmueller, V. G. ; L. Jenecke, Sec. ; Henry Honeck, Treas. ; Robert Robyn, D. G. M. ; Representative to Grand Lodge, A. C. Lemmons. The lodge meets regularly on Friday evening of each week, and is in excellent financial condition, having about $1,200 in the treasury.
Stone Hill Wine Company was established in 1861 by Poeschel & Scherer. In 1878 the firm changed toM. Poeschel & Co., and to the Stone Hill Wine Company January 1, 1883, the company consisting of the same individuals as at present. The main building of this company, which is used for ware-room and office, was erected in 1869. It is a two-story brick, 60x60 feet. They have three cellars and warerooms. The shipping cellar was built in 1861, and was enlarged in 1882. It is now 20x102 feet, arched like a tunnel; the old part is stone and the new part brick. In one cellar one cask holds 4,483 gallons, and another, 4,552 gallons. There are twelve other casks, named for the twelve apostles, and each cask having engraved upon its head the portrait of that apostle after whom it is named. These twelve casks hold from 1,500 to 2,000 gallons each. Other illustrations are engraved on other casks. The cellar in which are situated the '' apostles " is 80x60 feet in size, and was built in 1874. The cellar beneath the main building is used for fermenting purposes, and is 40x60 feet, built of brick, and has a capacity of 75,000 gallons. Besides putting up wine in large vessels, this company also put up small quantities in bottles, and they have on hand wine made in almost every year since 1858. Their wines are, undoubtedly, the purest made in the world, as the numerous gold and silver medals conferred upon them, as wine manufacturers, by various national and international expositions, testify. Some of the expositions have been those at Vienna, Austria, in 1873; at Philadelphia, in 1876; at Paris, France, in 1878, and at New Orleans, in 1885. They have received awards from State expositions, as at St. Louis, in 1858, and at the Kansas Exposition, in 1870, and they also have numerous diplomas from winemakers* associations. The company own thirty-five acres of vineyards, and buy grapes from growers from this and neighboring counties, making annually about 200,000 gallons of wine, thus bringing thousands of dollars into the pockets of the grapeculturists, and being the main industry and support of Hermann. The officers of the company now are William Herzog, president, and George Starck, secretary and treasurer.
Following is a list of the present business and professional men of Hermann: General stores—August Begemann, William Eberlin, C. D. Eitzen, Charles Fugger, M. Jordan, George Kraettly, S. W. Maushund, B. A. Niehoff; groceries and provisions— A. J. Prudot, William J. Hafner; bakery and confectionery— Louis Hafner; dry goods and groceries—Eliza Quandt; clothing — Jacob Jacobs, Adolph Schlender ; boot and shoe dealers—Christ Schlender, William Klee, M. P. Bensing; book store—Oswald Fluhr; saddles and harness—Louis Kielmann, F. W. Roethemeyer ; hardware store—Otto Monnig, Mrs. E. Dietzel, H. H. Rulle; jewelers and watchmakers — Jacob Schwab, Ferdinand Will, Joseph L. Pfautsch; blacksmiths and wagon-makers—Ruger & Neuenhahn, H. Honeck; blacksmith — A. Kirchhafer; tailor—C. Christman; lumber dealers—Henry Tekotte, Casper Schubert; granite and marble works—R. H. Hasenritter, Henry Schuch; stone sawmill—Henry Schuch; wool carding machine — Casper Schubert; machine shop Charles F. Sperry; shoemaker—Albert Leimer; carpenters and builders—Klenk & Bensing; agricultural implements and machinery—Louis Meyer; furniture—A. C. Leisner; milliners Mrs. Louisa Koeller, Caroline Silber, Barbara Sutter ; real estate and abstracts of titles—Otto Neuenhahn ; livery stable—Fred Ochsner; roofing—William C. Boeing; sewing machines—Emil Fretsch ; drug stores— G. Ettmueller, E. Nasse ; cooper — Henry Bock, Henry Thee; barbers—Fretsch & Son, A. Guillemiu ; meat market —H. Giesecke, G. Bay, Charles Hahn cigar factory—H. & C. Maushund; photographer—R. C. Mumbrane ; music teacher — Theodor Stork ; lime kiln and contractor— Henry Sohns ; railroad and express agent—H. E. Phillips; hotels—City Hotel, M. Allemann; United States Hotel, Conrad Schuch; Central Hotel, Charles Kimmel, and the White House, A. C. Leiner; saloons — Concert Hall, Philip Kuhn; Central Hotel, Charles Kimmel ; Jumbo, Albert Schubert ; White House, A. C. Leiner; United States Hotel, Conrad Schuch; and others by Fred. Koeller, Philipp Haeffner and William Braemle; lawyers—Robert Walker, F. L. Wensel, E. M. Clark; physicians— John Feldmann, G. Ettmueller, J. Freymann, A. Smith dentist—H. A. Hibbard; Hermann is solidly built, has about five miles of paved streets, and a population of 1,500.
The first newspaper published in Hermann was the Hermann Wochenhlaft, a weekly paper, by Edward Muehl and C. P. Strehly, in 1843. Mr. Muehl died in 1854, and Mr. Jacob Graf became the proprietor of the paper, changing its name to the Hermann Volksblatt. After his death, in 1870, the paper was published by Mrs. C. Graf, and edited by Eudolph Hirzel, until 1873. Mrs. Graf then sold it to Charles Eberhardt, in 1874, who sold back to Mrs. Graf at the end of one year, after having started the Gasconade County Advertiser. Mrs. Graf, in partnership with Joseph Leising, continued both the Volkshlatt and the Advertiser until 1880, when Graf Bros, succeeded to the ownership of the establishment, and put in a power press. In 1872 Fred. Wensel started a campaign sheet, and, in 1874, the Gasconade Courier, which, in 1877, was merged with the Advertiser, and the consolidated paper named the Advertiser-Courier. Both the Volkshlatt in German, and the Advertiser-Courier in English, are still published by Graf Bros., and are both Eepublican in politics. The former has a circulation of about 1,100, and the latter of about 900.
The county court of Gasconade County, under date of February 4, 1839, adopted the following order:
Know All Men by these Presents, That we, Gideon Cox, Thomas Roark, and, justices of the county court of Gasconade County, in consideration of the petition presented to us, duly signed by two-thirds of the taxable inhabitants of the town of Hermann, as by the statute in such cases made and provided, wherein the petitioners pray that their said town may be duly incorporated as a body politic. Now, we, the aforesaid justices, in virtue of the power in us, under the act of the General Assembly of the State of Missouri, entitled "An act for the incorporation of towns," do declare that district of country, known by the name of Hermann, lying within the following limits, to wit: Beginning at a point in the middle of the main channel of the Missouri River, the west boundary line beginning north at the half-mile line of Section 26, and running south 4° west, 5,060 feet, through Sections 26 and 35; the east boundary line beginning"" at the quarter section line in Section 25, and running south 4° west, 5,620 feet, through Sections 25 and 36: the south boundary line beginning at the point where the above mentioned 5,620 feet cease, and running west 4° north, till it strikes the west boundary line at the end of the aforementioned 5,060 feet; Township 46, south of the Missouri River, north of the base line, and Range 5 west of the fifth principal meridian, to be a body politic and corporate by the name and style of the Inhabitants of the Town of Hermann.
This act of incorporation provided that there should be a board of trustees, to consist of five members, to be elected on the first Monday in April, 1839, which, among other powers, was to have exclusive power to license and regulate ferries in the town, and to appoint an assessor, collector, clerk, and one or more constables. The board of trustees appointed to serve temporarily by the court, consisted of William Senn, Ludwick Heinrich, Frederick Leder, D. Widersprecher and Julius Leupold.
At the first electiou the following trustees were chosen: Frederick Leder, Heinrich Heckmann, Hermann Bock, Julius Leupold and Silvester Doess. They held their first meeting in May, 1839, and elected Julius Leupold chairman, and A. W. Friederichs clerk, at a salary of $300 per annum, " as heretofore granted him by the German Settlement Society." Jacob Eummel was appointed constable, "on the conditions provided by law, and that he shall be collector until otherwise resolved," compensation as collector to be 2 per cent of all moneys collected for the town — his bonds to be $400. William Pommer was appointed treasurer, and it was provided that the journal of the proceedings of the trustees should be kept both in the English and the German languages; that the publication of the ordinances should be in six public places, one-half in English and one-half in German; the board of trustees was to assemble at the house of Frederick Lehder, every Wednesday evening; that the stone-masons desirous of making the two millstones for the horsemill of Hermann might apply to Frederick Trautmann for particulars, and hand in their testimonials until the 22d of that month ; and that Frederick Lehder and H. Heckmann be appointed to inspect the work done to the above named horsemill, within the twenty days, for which a bill had been presented to the board by F. Trautmann, and direct F. Trautmann to enter into contract for the remainder of the work to be done on the mill ; and the late trustees of the German Settlement Society were required to deliver and hand over to the trustees of the town of Hermann all those papers and documents belonging to the society now incorporated
May 29, 1839, it was considered by the board of trustees to be their duty to take without delay legal measures necessary to have the property of the German Settlement Society conveyed over and transferred to the inhabitants of the town of Hermann, the trustees of the German Settlement Society having failed to regard the letter addressed to them by the inhabitants of the town of Hermann, under date of April 1, and J. G. Wesselhoeft was appointed agent of the town of Hermann, to cause the transfer to be made. H. Heckmann was then authorized to have two millstones, each two and a half feet in diameter, made by the stonemasons of the town. On June 5, 1839, D. Widersprecher was requested to purcliase two French buhr millstones, for the horsemill, in Hermann, and to forward them at the first opportunity; and on the same day all persons who had entered land of the society were to be notified to pay forthwith the first installment, to wit: one-third of the fixed price, otherwise they were to lose all claim to the same. June 19 it was determined to build a log house for a jail, and J. P. Hoffmann, H. Heckmann and Julius Leupold were appointed a committee to locate the same. July 21 Mr. Trautmann, H. Bock and P. Hoffman were appointed a committee to examine the patent mill of Widersprecher, and in case they found it suitable for a town mill they were to buy it. This committee reported that this patent mill was unsuitable for a town mill, and advised the purchase of millstones in St. Louis as soon as possible; and Fifth Street was ordered cleared from the horsemill to Market Street so that persons could turn round in front of the mill with their wagons.
January 3, 1840, owners of town lots were required to fence them in, to build on them within twelve months, or forfeit their then title to the same, and receive back what they had paid, and on the 29th it was ordered that four wells be dug at the most suitable places.
At the election for trustees in April, 1840, there were chosen Julius Leupold, John H. AVittmann and L. T. Wallbaum; A. AY. Friederichs was chosen clerk, at a salary of $250 per annum. June 15, 1840, John Henry Koch was permitted to select forty acres of land, and then himself donated the same to the use and benefit of the almshouse. In April, 1841, Jacob Schriefer was chosen chairman of the board of trustees, and Julius Leupold, clerk, at a salary of $200 per year. April 17, Semoken and Julius Thamer were licensetl to run a ferry for five years between Hermann and Loutre Island. The trustees in 1842 were D. Widersprecher, F. Lehder, John G. Bartz, Louis Kuhne and Gottlieb Straub; clerk, Julius Leupold; treasurer, C. D. Eitzen. Trustees in 1843: D. Widersprecher, J. Leupold, J. Schiefer, C. C. Wallbaum, and J. G. Ackermann; A. Miller, treasurer, compensation 2 1/2 per cent on moneys collected; Edward Cramer, clerk, salary $200. On April 28, 1843, the lands of the German Settlement Society were ordered to be sold in forty-acre tracts, at not less then $2.25 per acre. February 12, 1844, the balance of the lands of this society was ordered to be sold at public auction, at not less than $1.25 per acre, special privileges being offered to those who might wish to plant the vine. They were to have ten years in which to pay for their land, without interest, and they were required to plant one-fourth of an acre yearly until two acres had been planted.
August 7, 1844, the board passed an ordinance prohibiting hogs from running at large; but the chairman, D. Widersprecher, protested against the passing of the ordinance, and refused to publish it until he had received the legal opinion of the State's attorney. On the next day the board passed a resolution that the chairman showed disrespect toward the board of trustees by refusing to publish the resolutions of said board legally made, etc.
Therefore, Be it resolved, that Mr. D. Widersprecher be expelled and ousted of his office as a member of the said board of trustees of the inhabitants of the town of Hermann from this date, and that an election be held on the 19th of August for a member of the board of trustees, in the place of Mr. D. Widersprecher. On August 26, the board laid over until its next meeting the consideration of the punishment of Mr. Widersprecher. September 14, this punishment was again laid over until October 28, when he was fined $25, and a public meeting was haldto consider the new charter.
The trustees in 1845 were Edward Cramer, Charles Vogt, Francis J. Langendoerfer, Hermann Burchardt and Joseph Lessel; clerk, Julius Leupold, at a salary of $100 per year; Anthony Miller, treasurer, compensation 24 per cent on money collected.
Trustees—1846, Edward Cramer, F. W. Boeing, D. Widersprecher, T. B. Niehoff and August Leimer ; Fred. Krumpf, clerk, at a salary of $69 ; Anthony Miller, treasurer, compensation 2|^ per cent on money collected.
Trustees—1847, F. W. Boeing, C. D. Eitzen, G. Klinger, F. Noe and J. Morlock; clerk, C. F. Lemken, at $69 per year. A. Miller, treasurer.
September 21, 1847, licenses were fixed as follows: Merchants, $2.50; grocery keepers, $1.25; dramshop keepers, $1.25; tavern keepers, $1.25.
Trustees—1848, Christoph Moller, George Klinge, Ferdiiiand Koempf, John Beust; clerk, C. F. Lemken, salary, $85; Anthony Miller, treasurer. 1849—George Klinge, Conrad Buer, Charles Eitzen, Charles P. Strehly and Philipp Schneider; clerk, C. F. Lemken; John Paul Hoffmann, treasurer.
In 1849 the cholera visited Hermann, and caused great sickness and distress. The courthouse was turned into a hospital, and every suitable provision made for the comfort of the sick and needy. August 18, 1849, the following resolution was passed:
That the pjreat attention and untiring exertions of Capt. John Lee and lady in attending the sick and in alleviating the sufferings of the poor, sick and needy, during the late epidemic in our town, entitle them to the gratitude of all our citizens.
2. That the trustees of the town tender to Capt. Lee and lady our public thanks for their great and disinterested services rendered our citizens during the time our town was visited by that dreadful epidemic, the cholera.
3. That Joseph Lessel, Frederick W. Noerrenberg and Gottfried Krotzel distinguished themselves during the raging of said epidemic, in voluntarily assisting the most helpless sick and needy, without regard to their own safety. In acknowledgment of their great and disinterested services rendered, the town of Hermann tenders to each of said gentlemen a vacant town lot of their own choice, and that our public thanks are offered them; also all other good Samaritans who so sacrificmgly and disinterestedly sought to ameliorate the situation of the suffering.
1850—trustees—Ferdinand Kaempf, Christoph Moller, John H. Bohlken, Edward Cramer and Joseph Schach; clerk, C. F. Lemkken, $85; treasurer, Christoph HofPman. 1851— trustees, C. D. Eitzen, George Klinge, Jacob Wehle, Philipp Schneider and E. Cramer; clerk, Charles Behne, salary $85, and $3 for stationery. 1852—trustees, Christoph Moller, Eudolph Schlender, Charles Vogt, Julius Hundhausen and Joseph Lessel; clerk, F. W. Boeing, salary, $82, and $3 for stationery; treasurer, Hermann Burckhardt. 1853—trustees, Christoph Moller, Julius Hundhausen, C. D. Eitzen, Gottlieb Straub, Edward Cramer; clerk, F. W. Boeing, §82, and $3 for stationery ; treasurer, Ferdinand Kaempf. 1854—trustees, Joseph Lessel, Carl Vogt, Philipp Schneider, Louis Austermell and Magnus Will; clerk, F. W. Boeing; treasurer, George Klinge. 1855— trustees, Magnus Will, Louis Austermell, Philipp Schneider, George Christel; clerk, Charles Behne; treasurer, George Klinge. 1856—trustees, Christoph Moller, George Klinge, Philipp Schneider, Rudolph Schlender, Mathias Krauter; clerk, F. W. Boeing, salary §82, and 33 for stationery; treasurer, Joseph Lessel. The above named trustees all resigned July 12, 1856, and a new board was elected July 26, as follows: Joseph Kessler, Ferd. Lemke, Wilhelm Kiehlmann, Mathias Wutherick and E. C. Baer. 1857 — trustees, Joseph Kessler, Mathias Wutherick, Ferd. Lemke, Franz Bippstein and August Nasse ; clerk, George Klinge, salary $80; treasurer, Joseph Lessel. 1858—trustees, Mathias Wutherick, Ferd. Lemke, F. Bippstein, Christoph Hoffmann, Jacob Grafsen; clerk, Philip Weber, $80; treasurer, Julius Hundhausen. 1859—trustees, Magnus Will, Constance Biek, George Christel, Christoph Hoffmann, Jacob Strobel; clerk, George Klinge, $80; treasurer, Julius Hundhausen. 1860—trustees, Magnus Will, John A. Langenberger, George Pfautsch, C. D. Eitzen, Joseph Kessler; clerk, Philip Weber, $80; treasurer, Julius Hundhausen. 1861—trustees, C. D. Eitzen, John Gutmann, George Pfautsch, Magnus Will, M. Wutherick; clerk and treasurer the same. 1862—trustees, C. D. Eitzen, George Pfautsch, Louis Tertzel, Magnus Will and M. Wutherick ; clerk, same; treasurer, John B. Niche. 1863—trustees, Louis Austermell, C. D. Eitzen, Constance Biek, Francis Bippstein, M. Wutherick; clerk, same; treasurer, George Klinge. 1864—trustees, Frederick Hilker, Joseph Mueller, Budolph C. Schlender, Francis Bippstein, T. L. Kraettly; clerk, William Wesselhoeft; treasurer, Jacob Graf, Jr. 1865—trustees, Joseph Mueller, H. Beitemeyer, H. Honeck, Nic Schwarzenback, Christoph Hoffmann; clerk, William Gensert; treasurer, Jacob Graf. 1866—trustees, F. Bippstein, B. C. Schlender, Nic Schwarzenbach, Casper Schubert, George Christel; clerk, Philip Weber; treasurer, Jacob Graf. 1867—trustees, J. G. Christel, C. D. Eitzen, John Hoersch, LorenzStraub, Magnus Will; clerk and treasurer the same. 1868 trustees, C. D. Eitzen, Magnus Will, J. G. Christel, Lorenz Straub, John Hoersch ; clerk, John B. Niche ; treasurer, J. Graf. 1869—trustees, Ferd. Kaempf, Lorenz Straub, Jacob Finklang, John Pfautsch, Philip Schneider; clerk, same; treasurer, Nic Schwarzenbach. 1870—trustees, Lorenz Straub, Philipp Schneider, John Pfautsch, C. D. Eitzen, J. G. Christel; clerk, same; treasurer, Joseph Kessler. 1871—trustees, C. D. Eitzeu, Philipp Schneider, Lorenz Straub, John Pfautsch, H. L. Heckmann; clerk, F. H. Hilker; treasurer, Edward Cramer. 1872—trustees, Philipp Schneider, J. G. Christel, Louis Meyer, H. L. Heckmann, C. D. Eitzen ; clerk, F. H. Hilker ; treasurer, Edward Cramer. 1873—trustees, C. D. Eitzen, J. G. Christel, Philipp Schneider, L. Austermell, Louis Teitzel; clerk and treasurer the same. 1874—trustees, Louis Kiehlmann, Louis Meyer, Philipp Schneider, August Neuenhahn; clerk, F. L. Wenzel; treasurer, E. Cramer. 1875—trustees, C. D. Eitzen, Philipp Schneider, Louis Meyer, J. G. Christel, Henry Honeck ; clerk, F. L. Wenzel; treasurer, E. Cramer. 1876—trustees, C. D. Eitzen, J. G. Christel, Henry Honeck, Louis Meyer, Philipp Schneider; clerk and treasurer the same. 1877—trustees, C. D. Eitzen, John G. Christel, Henry Honeck, John Zumalt, G. A. Mertens; clerk, Robert Robyn ; treasurer, Joseph Kessler. 1878—trustees, C. D. Eitzen, J. G. Christel, H. Honeck, Rudolph Hirzel, Edward Koeller; clerk and treasurer the same. 1879—trustees, C. D. Eitzen, Rudolph Hirzel, Hugo Kropp, Henry Sohns; clerk and treasurer the same. 1880—trustees, H. Honeck, Hugo Kropp, C. D. Eitzen, B. A. Niehoff, Christ Kuhn ; clerk, W. F. Mertens ; treasurer, Hermann Schlender. 1881—trustees, C. D. Eitzen, H. Honeck, Hugo Kropp, J. G. Christel, B. A. Niehoff; clerk, F. L. Wensel; treasurer, Hermann Schlender. 1882—trustees, H. Honeck, Hugo Kropp, A. C. Leisner, F. Koeller, Charles Riege; clerk, O. T. Mertens; treasurer, Hermann Schlender. 1883 trustees, H. Honeck, Hugo Kropp, A. C. Leisner, F. Koeller, Charles Riege; clerk and treasurer the same. 1884—trustees, Francis Oncken, A. C. Leisner, Fred. Koeller, C. D. Eitzen, Constance Riek, C. Mumbrauer; clerk, Theodor Graf; treasurer, Hermann Schlender. 1885—trustees, A. C. Leisner, F. Koeller, C. D. Eitzen, Francis Oncken, Hermann Reusing; clerk and treasurer the same, 1886—trustees, Fred. Koeller,C. D. Eitzen, Francis Oncken, Hugo Kropp and H. Honeck ; clerk and treasurer the same. 1887— trustees, F. Koeller, C. D. Eitzen, Hugo Kropp, Charles Riege, F. L. Wensel; collector, B. A. Niehoff; assessor, John Guttmann; constable, Fritz Ochsner; clerk, Theodor Graf; treasurer, J. G. Christel; roadmaster, William Remmert; beadle, B. A. Niehoff.
Morrison is situated on the Missouri Pacific Eailroad, in the northwest corner of Gasconade County. The first settlers in this vicinity of whom anything could be learned were Fischer, Shope, Nundle and Morrison, the latter of whom bought out the other three in 1857 or 1858. A Mr. Wessenbach built the first house in Morrison, a frame building, standing on Lot 5. Mr. Wessenbach was a wagon-maker. Mr. Morrison put up a small store in 1858, and moved the railroad station up from Dresden a short distance below. A Mr. Kautzahn kept the store a short time for Mr. Morrison, which was sold to Sam. Hunter in 1859. The first blacksmith was Charles Koos, who commenced work here in 1868, in which year Eautzahn & Morrison built a brewery. The postmasters have been Eautzahn, Sam. Hunter, West & Baumann, Fred. Buente, Adolph Goebel, Brashear F. Nolte, F. W. MoUenbrock, Henry Kemper, Charles Tourville and Henry Schwarze. The first school building erected in Morrison was in 1876, a one-story frame structure, costing about $800. The present teacher is Emil Gungoll, and the English language is used in teaching all branches. The churches in Morrison are the German Methodist Episcopal, the Lutheran and the Catholic. The business men are Henry Binkhoelder & Co., Louis Thee & Co., and Albert Taube, all general merchants; John Gapthuler, furniture Victor Mueller and Charles Eoos, blacksmiths; Henry Stock, wagon-maker ; Philip Neitzmann, tailor ; John Tegler, furniture ; Birk & Tegler, lumber; Charles Nagel, shoemaker; Mrs. F. Beunte, millinery; William Bockting, stonemason; Hermann Gangoll, hardware ; H. Binkhoelder & Co. and Charles Lountag, saloons, and Eommel and Sobbe, nursery and vineyard. The present population of Morrison is about 175.
Morrison Lodge No. 390, A. O. U. W., was organized in July, 1887, with nine charter members: Jacob Eommel, M. W, ; G. A. Speckelmeyer, Eeceiver ; Louis Thee, Financier ; M. M. Townley, F. ; Henry Schwarze, Eecorder; Joseph Angiston, Guide; George Whible, L W. ; John Tegler, O. W. ; G. A. Ferguson, O. The present membership is fifteen, and the present officers: H. Binkhoelder, M. W. ; Henry Schwarze, Eecorder ; G. A. Spreckelmeyer, Receiver; Louis Thee, Financier; August Toedemann, Guide; John Tegler, I. W. ; George Whible, O. W. ; Jacob Eommel, O.; J. C. Wehmeyer, F., and G. A. Spreckelmeyer, Med. Ex. The lodge meets every Saturday evening, and is in good financial condition.
Gasconade Ciiy lies on the Gasconade Biver, near its entrance into the Missouri River, and on the Missouri Pacific Railway. It is on the northwest quarter, and fractional northeast quarter and fractional southwest quarter of Section 11, Township 45, Range 6 west. It is divided into fifteen blocks and also into 255 lots of various sizes, because of the course of the Missouri Pacific Railway around which the town is built. The streets running nearly parallel with the Gasconade River are First, Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth, each 50 feet wide, except Second Street, which is 60 feet wide. Those running perpendicularly to Gasconade River are Ash, Oak, Bank and Elm, each 50 feet wide, except Oak, which is 60 feet wide. The plat was made by Robert J. Heath and Sarah A. Heath, his wife, and Eliza Sharman, widow of William Sharman, May 29, 1857. It was certified to before Joseph Lessel, justice of the peace, and recorded May 30, 1857, by James Arrott, recorder. The town was so named because it lies near the mouth of the Gasconade River. The first settlers in this vicinity were John G. Heath and a Mr. Shuman, the first named of whom built the first house, a log one, 40x50 feet. John Roark built the first frame house in 1868. The first druggist in this place was Richard Zumwald, and the first blacksmith, Joseph Mundwiller; the first shoemaker, John Wolter, and the first grocery keeper, John G. Heath. The various postmasters have been Louis Wild, John Roark, Ferd. Fleischer, John Shelton and A. Vanderwerken. The present business men are A. Vanderwerken and Dan. Zackisch, general merchants; John Wolter, shoemaker ; Grisley & Murray, ice dealers. The present population is about sixty-five. Gasconade City is chiefly distinguished for having been the first county seat of Gasconade County.; for having been the scene of the historic railroad bridge disaster in 1855, and for having once come within two votes of securing the capital of Missouri, instead of Jefferson City, its failure to secure which it regrets even to this day.
Little Berger is situated in the northeast part of the county, about six miles south of the Missouri Pacific Railroad. The first settlers came into this vicinity about 1832, a Mr. Roark, and Hensley McKinny. The first frame house was built here by a Mr. Beckman ; Joseph Vogel was the first blacksmith ; William Barnes was the first shoemaker ; the postmasters have been Frank Meyer, John Boehm, J. J. Stoecklin and P. Marter. There are three churches in the place, an Evangelical Church, a Catholic Church, and a Presbyterian Church. The Catholic Church was built in 1874. The business men of the town at the present time are Fritz Hake, F. Kothschafer and F. A. Achenhausen. The present population of the town is about 200.
Lange Store is situated in the northwest part of the county, about three miles south from Morrison. It was named after E. Lange, Sr., who settled there in April, 1858, and immediately built a storehouse one and one-half stories high, and 20x50 feet in size. Mr. Lange was the first merchant, and built the first frame house here in 1870. The first druggist was G. A. Spreckelmeyer; the first blacksmith, Charles Wetzel; the first shoemaker, John Bein, and the first grocery keeper, Omar Stempel. Mary E. Spreckelmeyer was the first postmistress. The present business men are G. A. Spreckelmeyer, merchant; E. Lange, Sr., winemaker and dealer, and G. A. Spreckelmeyer, physician. The present population of the place is about fifty.
Fredericksburg is a small place a short distance southwest of Lange Store, very nearly on the line between Gasconade and Osage Counties. The first house was built here by William Geiser, who was the first postmaster, followed by Joseph Geiser and George Gambs. The business men of the place now are A. P. Bracht, merchant; Charles Kruger, blacksmith; and Charles Bock, wagon-maker, and the population is about twentyfive.
Swiss is a small village about ten miles south of Hermann-It is so named because the inhabitants are mostly from Switzerland. The first residence was built by H. F. Brinkmann ; it was a two-story frame 18x30 feet, and built in 1881. Mr. Brinkmann was the first merchant; the first blacksmith was S. A. Schmidt, and the first shoemaker, Fred Schoening, Sr. The postmasters have been Jacob Boesch, Jurger Frankenfield and M. F. Brinkmann. The present business men are H. F. Brinkmann, J. M. Hoehner, Jacob Sutter, and Ferdinand Schoening, Sr. The population of Swiss now consists of five families.
Stony Hill is a small village situated about five miles southeast of Swiss. It was so named from the fact that the hillside where the postoffice was first situated was covered over with many stones. The first settler in the vicinity was Hart McWilliams, about 1852, who built a small log cabin, 16x24 feet in size. The first frame house was built in 1858 by K. M. Miller. The first merchants were Koei^^neker & Karstedt, who started their store in November, 1865. The first blacksmith was G. Gumper, in 1874; and the first shoemaker was J. Woelfel, in September, 1883. The postmasters have been C. J. Karstedt, James Armstrong and Charles Andreas, C. J. Karstedt being the present postmaster. The present business men are C. J. Karstedt, general merchant; Gumper Brothers, blacksmiths; and Philip Mueller, wagon -maker. The population now is twentyfour.
Bay is a small town about six miles southwest of Swiss. Kasten Buschmann is the postmaster.
Drake is a small village situated near the center of Township 43, Eange 5 west. It was named after Senator Charles D. Drake. Greenberry Lee is said to have been the first settler in this vicinity who came in and built a log cabin, 18x20 feet, in 1833. The first frame house was built in 1861 by Dr. H. A. Gross. The first merchant was Casper H. Kiepe, in 1865 ; and the first druggist and physician, H. A. Gross, in 1860; the first blacksmith was Mike Miller, in 1863; and the first shoemaker, Casper Binkhoelter, in 1856; the first grocery keeper was a Mr. Chapman, in 1855. The postmasters have been Green B. Lee, Caspar H. Riepe, H. A. Gross, Louis Gove, Frank Stoner, Fritz Stambach and Gustave Blanke. The present business men are Simon Boeger & Co., Henry Hobein, Henry Moore, Fred. Wehmhoner, Sr., Fred. Wehmhoner, Jr., and Caspar Binkhoelter; H. A. Gross, physician, and George W. Henkler, teacher. The present population of Drake is fifty-four.
Woollam is a postoffice about six miles southwest of Drake, and Burbots is another postoffice about eight miles southeast of Drake.
Cleaverville, named after Cleaveland Luster, is a small town situated about three miles south of Bland. The first residence built here was a small log one, sixteen feet square, erected in 1821, the Reeds and Criders being the first settlers in the vicinity. The first merchant was J. Cleaveland Luster; the first blacksmith, Daniel Crider; the first shoemaker, Philip Durbin, and the first grocery keeper, J. Cleaveland Luster. Mr. Luster was also the first postmaster, and has been succeeded by H. Hamilton, W. Bead, W. J. Faris, W. H. Taylor, P. F. Spalding and W. E. Luster. There is a Catholic Church located in Section 20, Township 41, Range 6 west, and a Christian Church was organized in 1870, of which Frank Jones is the present pastor. The present business men are W. E. Luster, F. Lict, A. Meisher and J. L. Burnes. The present population of the place is sixty.
Bland, so named after Congressman R. P. Bland, is situated near the northwest corner of Township 41, Range 6 west. The first settler in the vicinity was William Haynes, in 1850. The first frame house built in the place was by John Homfeldt, in 1862. It was 20x50 feet in size. The first merchant was Henry Koenig, and the first blacksmith, Fred. Crider, in 1860. The first shoemaker was Charles Bunge, Sr., and the first grocery keeper, Henry Koenig. The first postmaster was H. J. ,Aufderheide, and the first mail arrived at this place August 17, 1877. A gristmill was started here in 1864. Alfred Rickring was the first school teacher, in 1858, and had about thirty scholars. The German Evangelical Church orginated here in 1857, the German Methodist Episcopal Church in 1866. The present business men are H. J. Aufderheide, store, and Joseph Alberson, store and mill; W. F. Creschin, blacksmith, and D. Werfelmann, wagon and carriage builder. The population of the place is now about fifty.
Leduc is about six miles south of Cleavesville, and is a short distance northwest of the center of Township 40, Range 6 west. Thomas Veach settled here in 1839, and built the first house, a log one, 16x18 feet. The first frame house was built in 1860, by S. W. Smith, who, in partnership with Henry Grote, established the first store. John Merrel was the first blacksmith. The postmasters have been S. W. Smith and T. J. Smith. A subscription school was started here in 1847, and the district school in 1850, since which time the school has been kept in good condition. There is a Southern Methodist Episcopal Church, and two Baptist Churches, in the vicinity. There is at present no business establishment in Leduc, but the postoffice is surrounded by some of the best farming and timber lands in the county.
Canaan is a postoffice situated just west of the center of Township 41, Range 5 west. The postmasters have been J. W. Willard, Ed. W. Millan, and since 1879, Henry C. Kehr. mis a postoffice about three miles north of Canaan. F. Linke is postmaster at the present time.
Owensville was laid out in the spring of 1886 by the Owensville Improvement Company, consisting of Robert Robyn, Dr. G. Ettmueller, Michael Jordan, Dr. M. W. Hoge and George H. Buschmann—the first three being citizens of Hermann, the latter two of Owensville. The company bought 280 acres of land, and the town plat comprises the northeast quarter of Section 32, and the southeast quarter of Section 29, Township 42, Range 5 west, and lies south of the survey of the St. Louis, Kansas City <fe Colorado Railway. An organization of the Owensville Improvenment Company was effected August 21, 1887, when Dr. G. Ettmuellor was chosen president, and Robert Robyn, secretary. Owensville is located on as fine a site for beauty and health as could be desired. The place was named after a Mr. Owens, the first settler hero, who in partnership with E. Luster started the first store. A. W. Moore was the first druggist; Louis Kuhne, the first blacksmith, and E. Luster, the first grocery keeper; B. Leach was the first, and George H. Buschmann is the present postmaster. There are here two secret societies, a Masonic Lodge and a lodge of the United Workmen. The present population of the town is about 100.
Red Bird is a sranll village in the southwest part of the county, twelve miles northwest of Cuba. The first settler in this vicinity was Isaiah Bowen, who came here and built a small log cabin with a stick chimney in March, 1829, and the first frame house was built by R. A. Bowen, in 1887. The first merchant was L. D. Viemann, who also kept the first grocery, and the first blacksmith was Charles Fort. The only postmaster has been the present one, F. H. Buschmann. The first school in the vicinity was kept by J. Smith, about 1852. J. R. Brown was the first to preach in this place, in the schoolhouse and in private houses Rev. Mr. Brown was a Presbyterian. The present business men are Buschmann Bros. (F. H. & R D.) merchants, and Cahill (Samuel) and Devault (E.) millers, and Mr. Rethemeyer, blacksmith. The population consists of eight families.
Gebler is a small town of recent origin. The first settler in the vicinity was John Breeding, in about 1820, who built a little log cabin 16x18 feet in size. The first frame house was built by Christian Kotthoff; the first merchant was Charles Bushmeyer. In 1886 S. Sutter started a general store. The first druggist was Charles Kehr; the first blacksmith, John D. Bruns; the first grocery keeper, Christopher Weber, and the first postmaster, and only one, Samuel Sutter. Charles Behne taught the first district school in 1850, and had about twenty scholars. The present business men are Samuel Sutter, general store; Fred Bruns, miller, and Godfried Ulrich, blacksmith.
Oldenburg lies on the Gasconade River, just below the mouth of Sugar Camp Creek. It was laid out September 22, 1857, by Jacob D. Schiefer, and the conveyance acknowledged by him before James Arrott, clerk of the circuit court, that day. The town lies around the bend of the river in the form of a crescent, and the streets conform in a general way to the crescent form. The town was originally divided into four blocks; Block 1, having 32 lots ; Block 2, 46 lots ; Block 3, 46 lots, and Block 4, 47 lots. Jackson, Jefferson, Franklin and Washington Streets were laid out perpendicularly to the river, and diverging from each other similarly to the spokes of a wheel. First, Second and Third Streets ran parallel to the river. Third Street being the outer boundary of the town. It was finely located on a bluff.
Palestine, an ancient town, by most forgotten and by many never known, was located on part of the west half of the southwest quarter of Section 10, Township 42, Range 5 west. It was surveyed for Thomas Hibler, and contained forty lots, each lot containing one-fourth of an acre. The town plat contained ten blocks of one acre, and each block was divided into four lots. Main Street ran east and west through the center of the town and was 403 1/2 yards in length. Fourth Street ran north and south through the town, each being 53 1/2 yards in length and forty feet wide. The town was laid out October 31, 1840, by Gideon P. Wyatt. The plat was filed November 2, 1840, and recorded December 16, 1840, by Eli McJilton, circuit court clerk.
History of Franklin, Jefferson, Washington, Crawford and Gasconade Counties Missouri
Published by Goodspeed Publishing Company 1888
BACK -- HOME
by Genealogy Trails