Gasconade County Missouri
Hermann, the county seat of Gasconade County, is on the Missouri River, and also in the Missouri Pacific Railway, miles from St. Louis. It lies on the southeast fractional quarter of the southeast quarter of Section 25, and the northeast quarter of the northeast quarter of Section 36, Township 46, Range 5 west; and on the southwest fractional quarter of the southwest quarter of Section 30, and the northwest quarter of the northwest quarter of Section 31, Township 46, Range 4 west. On March 4, 1850, Charles Tuebner appeared before the clerk of the circuit court, J. B. Harrison, as the proprietor of a part of the town site, which was surveyed May 1, 1850, by H. Bock. October 23, 1848, Jacob Schiefer laid out a part of the town of Hermann, and on the 13th of January, 1851, by Jacob Schiefer two additions were made, one of twenty-eight lots and one of 162 lots. F. Boeing's and H. Burchard's addition lay east of one of the above additions and north of the otHer. This town lies at the mouth of Frene Creek, and on both sides of the same. Market Street runs north and south through the town, and is 120 feet wide. East of Market Street the streets are Schiller, Gutenberg, Franklin and Gellert; and west of Market they are Mozart, Washington, Goethe, Jefferson and Wein. The above run parallel to Market Street. The streets running east and west are Wharf Street, which extends westward only to Market, then east and west Second, Third, etc., out to East and West Seventeenth. In the original town two public squares and a graveyard were laid out. The cemetery is kept up in good shape, and the public square between Washington and Goethe Streets, and West Eighth and Ninth, has recently been newly fenced, planted in fine shade trees, and made attractive in every way.
The history of the settlement of Hermann by the Germans is particularly interesting. The movement resulting in the selection of this location was originally under the auspices of the Deutsche Ansiedlung Geschellschaft (German Settlement Society) of Philadelphia. The first meeting of this society of which any record is to be found at Hermann occurred June 10, 1836, for the purpose of considering the project of founding a German town. Those present at this meeting were the Rev. Heinrich Ginal, president; Anton Duenkelberg, Ferdinand Stark, — Conradt. Dr. Schmoele, Xaver Fenderich, the committee, and Ludwig Friedauf and Wilhelm Mohl other members of the society. Thomas Padaraque made a speech setting forth the advantages of Texas, which was translated as delivered by Dr. Heinrich Ginal, but the members could not agree upon Texas, some thinking Northwestern Pennsylvania more suitable for their purpose. At a meeting of June 25, 1836, Dr. Thomas Padaraque proposed Jefferson County, Mo., where 104,000 acres of land could be obtained at $1.25 per acre. Mr. Ritter proposed the Miami country, in Indiana, and some one else the northern part of Illinois. On August 9, 1836, the constitution of the society was read, and received some fifty names of those wishing to join the society. J. C. Wesselhoeft was made secretary and served the society thereafter for some years with great efficiency. In March, 1837, the society resolved to send some one out through Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin and Missouri to look for a suitable place to form their proposed settlement, and about this time the society was incorporated under the laws of Pennsylvania. A committee sent out in the spring of 1837 failed to accomplish anything worthy of note, but on July 27, 1837, George F. Bayer was appointed to make the tour of investigation, and his mission was a great success. On October 5, 1837, the president of the society announced to the members that a large piece of land had been purchased in Missouri, and at this meeting it was resolved by the society that the name of the new town to be built on the land purchased should be Hermann, and the resolution was ordered to be published in the German newspaper, The Old and New World. November 2, 1837, a written report of the result of Mr. Bayer's travels was submitted, and Mr. Bayer was made general agent of the society, at a salary of §600 per year. Mr. Bayer signified a willingness to accept eighty acres of land at the new settlement, the location of which he would choose. A little log house yet unfinished he was to receive as a present, and the society gave him $300 as traveling expenses. Every member of the society arriving at the new town was to have the privilege of picking out one lot, except from those which the society reserved for itself. If two members wanted the same lot the selection should be determined by drawing lots, and if any member wanted more than one lot his desire should be gratified provided he would agree to build a house on the second lot worth at least $300. The survey and sale of the lots were under the supervision of the general agent until the society at the new settlement should be strong enough to dispense with his services. The price of land was to be $3 per acre for first-class, and not less than $2 for second class.
As showing the extent of the purchase by Mr. Bayer, the following brief description of the lands in detail is introduced, taken from the original parchment deed, a curiosity in its way, on account of its extreme size. [end of our available data]
History of Franklin, Jefferson, Washington, Crawford and Gasconade Counties Missouri
Published by Goodspeed Publishing Company 1888
BACK -- HOME
by Genealogy Trails