Gasconade County Missouri
Soon after the breaking out of the War of the Rebellion, in 1861, Julius Hundhausen raised ten companies of soldiers, who were known as Home Guards. This was in May. Six of these companies were raised in the central and southern parts of the county. Mr. Hundhausen became lieutenant-colonel of this force, Charles C. Manwaring and Constance Riek, captains, and Hermann Schlender, quartermaster. The regiment had charge of railroad bridges from St. Louis to Jefferson City until mustered out in 1863. Three months after the organization of the Home Guards they were incorporated into the Fourth Missouri Reserve Corps, under command of Gen. Lyon, George Hussmann, quartermaster, and Dr. J. Feldmann, assistant surgeon. The other officers were the same as in the old organization, except that Capt. Manwaring resigned, and was succeeded by Michael Bauer, Manwaring becoming provost-marshal of the congressional district. After the reserve corps was mustered out, Col. Hundhausen was appointed assistant provost-marshal, with his office at Hermann.
In the spring of 1864, while on a visit to his family, Capt. Manwaring was killed by a party of rebels as he was attempting to arrest one of them. The rebels were pursued, and one of them killed, while the others, abandoning their horses, made their escape. The horses were sold, and netted the Government $600.
A militia regiment was organized, of which George Klinge was lieutenant-colonel, and Charles D. Eitzen, captain. This regiment was in several engagements. In 1864, when Sterling Price made his great raid through the State, it was called to reinforce the troops at Rolla and Jefferson City, thus leaving the town of Hermann with but few defenders. Upon the approach of Price's army from below the town, the women and children took refuge in the caves in the vicinity and upon Graf's Island. The men who were at home, and upon whom the defense of the town devolved, brought to bear upon the approaching rebels a small piece of artillery, firing upon them as they came in sight around the bluff below the town. This caused a retreat on the part of the raiders, and their approach from another direction. By the time of their second approach the little brass cannon had been moved to another position, and as they advanced it belched forth its contents a second time. Being thus fired upon from different positions, the rebels supposed there was quite a number of pieces of artillery in the town, and their approach was made with great caution ; but, at length, when it could no longer be used to withstand their approach, it was spiked and thrown into the Missouri River. It was subsequently withdrawn from the river and used on holiday and festive occasions for some years, until, at length, it was burst by an unusually heavy charge of powder. Since then it has been kept in position on Market street, as a memento of the war.
Following is a list of the military organizations from Gasconade County that entered the service of the State of Missouri or of the United States to aid in the suppression of the Rebellion : Gasconade County Battalion. - Its field and staff officers were: lieutenant-colonel, Julius Hundhausen; quartermaster, Hermann Schlender; assistant surgeon, John Feldmann.
Company A - Captain, C. C. Manwaring; first lieutenant, John Guttmann; second lieutenant, Charles P. Stribley. The aggregate strength of this company was eighty-four.
Company B - Captain, Constance Riek ; first lieutenant, Henry Germaun ; second lieutenant, August Hammel. The aggregate strength of this company was ninety-eight.
Company C - Captain, Julius Buckmeister; first lieutenant, Thomas Clarg ; second lieutenant, Ernst Lange. The aggregate strength of this company was 100.
Company D - Captain, Bernhard Stochlin; first lieutenant, August Liebmann ; second lieutenant, John Allemann. The aggregate strength of this company was ninety-one.
Company E - Captain, Frederick Pehde; first lieutenant, B. Mendmiller; second lieutenant, George Eppler. The aggregate strength of this company was ninety-seven, and the aggregate strength of the battalion 473.
The battalion was organized in June, 1861, and its services accepted by Gen. Lyon. These services consisted of guarding bridges on the Pacific Railroad, and in escorting provision trains from Hermann to Montgomery City, Mo. It also participated in the expedition from Miller's Landing to Georgetown, in Franklin Co., Mo. This battalion disbanded October 1, 1861, and reorganized as Hundhausen's Battalion of United States Reserve Corps, for three years' service.
The Second Gasconade County Battalion was also organized in June, 1861, by authority from Gen. Lyon. Its field and staff officers were : Colonel, James A. Matthews ; quartermaster, Louis Dierkegraefe ; surgeon, N. G. Matthews.
Company A - Captain, Elijah McDaniel; first lieutenant, Thomas B. Matthews ; second lieutenant, George W. Sherrill. The aggregate strength of this company was seventy- two.
Company B - Captain, Preston H. Collier; first lieutenant, Joseph Ferryman ; second lieutenants: Burgess A. Matthew, transferred to Company D July 27, 1861, and Daniel Turner. The aggregate strength of this company was 130.
Company C - The roll of this company was not filed with the adjutant general. John B. Cooper was its captain.
Company D. - Captain, Andrew J. Hurlbut; first lieutenant, James McDaniel; second lieutenant, Joseph F. Brown. The aggregate strength of this company was sixty-four.
The aggregate strength of the battalion was 269. It was engaged in guarding bridges on the Facific Railroad, in scouting, and in various kinds of service until September, 1861, when it was disbanded. All of its members enlisted in the State militia.
Dallmeyer's Battalion of six months militia was raised in Gasconade County. Its field and staff officers were: Colonel, James A. Matthews, commissioned September 8, 1861, and resigned November 26, 1861; lieutenant-colonel, W. Q. Dallmeyer, commissioned September 8, 1861; major, John B. Cooper, commissioned September 8, 1861; adjutant, W. W. Clarke, commissioned September 12, 1861 ; quartermaster, L. Dierkegraefe, September 8, 1861; surgeon, James L. Kierwan, commissioned December 4, 1861; assistant surgeon, W. Everard, commissioned December 14, 1861.
Company A - Captain, William Meyer; first lieutenant, Thomas McKinney; second lieutenant, Henry Buckholz; all commissioned September 7, 1861.
Company B - Captaiu, Elijah McDaniel; first lieutenant, George M. Sumell; second lieutenant, James P. Shockley; all commissioned September 10, 1861.
Company C - Captain, P. H. Collier; first lieutenant, James Perryman; second lieutenant, B. A. Matthews; all commissioned September 9, 1861.
Company D - Captain, W, I. Hurlbut; first lieutenant, James McDaniel; second lieutenant, Joseph P. Brown; all commissioned September 7, 1861.
Company E - Captain, William Ousley; first lieutenant, William Leach ; second lieutenant, E. Fechter; all commissioned September 7, 1861.
Company F - Captain, Thomas B. Matthews; first lieutenant, Fritz Ham; second lieutenant, William Debolt; all commissioned September 12, 1861.
Company G - Captain, W. J. Williams; first lieutenant, J. B. Matthews; second lieutenant, M. S. Branson; all commissioned September 9, 1861.
Company H - Captain, W. K. Meyers; first lieutenant, Harry Berger; second lieutenant, H. Heidbrink; all commissioned September 12, 1861.
Company I - Captain, Henry W. Burnett; first lieutenant, Samuel Miller; second lieutenant, Thomas B. Matthews; all commissioned September 14, 1861.
This battalion was mustered in at Camp Matthews, in this county, its aggregate strength being 570 men. After remaining in camp for some time it marched to Chamois, Mo., and made that place the base of its operations. Numerous scouts were sent out in search of rebels, but encountered no serious opposition. About December 15, 1861, the command went to Franklin, Mo., and there spent the remainder of their term of enlistment in doing guard duty. Although the precise date of the mustering out of this command is not known, it was during the first part of February, 1862.
Gasconade County Battalion Reserve Corps, Missouri Voliinieers, was organized among the Germans of Gasconade County, but was limited from the nature of its organization to service within the State. Its ofiicers were: Lieutenant-colonel, Julius Hundbausen; quartermaster, George Husmaim; adjutant, John Feldmann; all commissioned January 7, 1862.
Company A - Captain, Charles Manwaring; first lieutenant, Christian Strabel ; second lieutenant, Louis Waechler; all commissioned January 6, 1862.
Company B - Captain, Constance Riek; first lieutenant, Henry Germann ; second lieutenant, Charles Riek ; all commissioned January 6, 1862.
Company C - Captain, B. Mendmiller ; first lieutenant, Michael Bauer; both commissioned January 7, 1862.
Company D - First lieutenant, Ernest Krech ; commissioned January 9, 1862.
This battalion was consolidated with the Third Reserve Corps by order of the adjutant general, dated January 18, 1862, as the Fourth Regiment Infantry Missouri Volunteers. It was one of the regiments entertaining no idea of compromise with those then attempting to destroy the Government.
Fourth Infantry Missouri Volunteers wrs composed, as above stated, of the Third Regiment United States Reserve Corps, and the above Gasconade County Battalion Reserve Corps, by Special Order No. 9, issued January 18, 1862. Its officers were: Colonel, Robert Hundhausen; lieutenant-colonel, Julius Hundhausen; major, Charles H. Warren; adjutant, Jerome H. Bacon; quartermaster, George Husmann; surgeon, Edmund Boerner; assistant surgeon, John Feldmann; chaplain, George Fuetschmann; all commissioned January 18, 1862.
Company A - Captain, Adolph Nipper; first lieutenant, C. A. F. Hats; second lieutenant, Louis Kranthoff; all commissioned September 16, 1861.
Company B - -Captain, Michael Bauer; first lieutenants, Christian Strabel and Alexander Lowry; second lieutenants, Louis Waechter and Julius Sperleder.
Company C of this regiment had the same commissioned officers as Company B, of the Gasconade County Battalion.
Company D - Captain, William Hirt; first lieutenant, Louis Loop; second lieutenant, Louis Miller.
Company E - Captain, B. Mundewiller; first lieutenants, Eugene Alcan; second lieutenant, J. J. Stocklin. I
Company F - Captain, ; first lieutenants, Casper Scliubert and J. C. Meyer; second lieutenants, Frank Emser and W. K. McCracken.
Company G - Captain, A. E. Piquenard; first lieutenant, Louis Hild; second lieutenant, M. A. Lemoine. The aggregate strength of this regiment was 550. It was employed chiefly within the State, and performed valuable service to the cause. It was mustered out of service under Special Orders No. 13, February 1, 1803.
Company F of the Thirty-first Infantry Missouri Volunteers was from Gasconade County. Its commissioned officers were: Captain, Egbert O. Hill; first lieutenants, James McDaniel and D. H. Middendorf, and second lieutenant, William R. Vaughan. A brief historical sketch of this regiment may be found in the history of Franklin County.
The Fiffy-fiffh Refjimenf Missouri MiJiiia was raised in this county about the close of the war. Its colonel was W. Q. Dallmeyer, commissioned March 25, 1865; lieutenant colonel, Francis Oncken, commissioned June 24, 1865, and adjutant, Fred Dallmeyer, commissioned April 24, 1865. The war being so nearly at an end at that time, but little service was required of this regiment.
Source: History of Franklin, Jefferson, Washington, Crawford and Gasconade Counties Missouri
Published by Goodspeed Publishing Company 1888
BACK to MILITARY
BACK to HISTORY
-- HOME --
by Genealogy Trails