Welcome to
Greene County
Missouri


Biographies
" A "

JAMES ABBOTT
Mr. Abbott is the son of William and Abigail (Steward) Abbott, and was born in Salem county, New Jersey, February 13th, 1835. He was educated at the public schools of that State, and, in 1855, went to St. Louis, Missouri and took a position as clerk in the retail dry goods house of J.C. Havens & Co., for whom he worked until 1862. He then came to Springfield, Missouri, and engaged in the mercantile business with Wm. R. Gorton until 1871, when he was elected county collector upon the Republican ticket, and served until 1874. He was appointed county treasurer in 1864, but declined to serve, but was regularly elected to serve in 1866, and held that office until 1868. In 1865-6, was city treasurer of Springfield. He was elected secretary and treasurer of the Springfield Iron Works in 1875, which is now the Springfield Foundry and Machine Shops. He was mayor of the city in 1881, and chairman of the Republican Congressional Committee of this district in 1882. Mr. Abbott was married January 30th, 1866, in New York city, by the Rev. Theodore L. Cuyler, to Mary E., daughter of Timothy C. Wooley, Esq. Their union was blest with seven children, six girls and one boy, of whom six are living, one daughter dying in infancy. He and his wife are members of the Calvary Presbyterian church, and he is one of the trustees. His mother died in New Jersey in 1874, and his father is still living at Brighton, Illinois. From the many positions of honor and trust that Mr. Abbott has held, it is the best evidence that no man in Greene county has a better hold upon the affections of the people than he.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

JEREMIAH ACUFF.
Mr. Acuff was born in Granger county, Tennessee, March 14, 1806.  Was educated in his native county, and followed the vocation of farming there till 1836, when he moved to Polk county, this State.  His parents were John and Nancy (Watson) Acuff, the former a native of Virginia, who died in Granger county, Tennessee, shortly after the civil war, and the mother, a native of same State, and died in the same county as her husband, in 1856.  Jeremiah followed blacksmithing in Missouri, and, in 1837, bought a “claim” which he kept and improved.  He went into the government land office in 1839, and entered a tract of 160 acres, whereon he resided till 1861.  After some other trades and removals, he finally traded for the store house at Walnut Grove, now occupied by his son, and himself, son and Chithim opened a general store, to which B.J. Acuff is successor and sole proprietor.  Mr. A. was married December 12, 1826, to Rebecca Cates, who died in Walnut Grove, January 27, 1882.  Mr. A. and wife had seven children, six now living four sons and two daughters.
Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883); transcribed by S.Gruver

B.Y. ACUFF
This enterprising gentleman is a Missourian by birth, his nativity being Polk county where he was born August 31, 1840.  His father was a Tennesseean, and was born in 1806, and is still living at this writing his home being at Walnut Grove.  Mr. Acuff’s mother was Rebecca Cates, who died January 27, 1882.  The subject of this sketch was educated in the schools of his native county, and began life as a farmer, which vocation he followed till 1870, when he came to Walnut Grove, this county, and opened a general merchandise store.  Coming to the place when it first started, Mr. Acuff has been in the lead of every enterprise to advance the interest of Walnut Grove.  His was the pioneer mercantile house of the village, and in one sense, he may be called the father of the town.  In 1863, Mr. A. enlisted in the State militia and served about two years, mostly in Polk county.  He was married April 1, 1876, to Miss Carrie Hawk, daughter of David Hawk, a prominent citizen of Polk county.  He has two children – both daughters.  Mr. A. is a Freemason of good standing, and is regarded as one of the most enterprising and public-spirited citizens of the county.  He has, by thrift and industry, amassed a good property, thus showing what may always be accomplished by energetic and painstaking effort.
Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883); transcribed by S.Gruver

Col. C.C. AKIN.  It is impossible to place too high an estimate on the importance of the real estate business in regard to the various other elements of commercial and financial activity.  None other rests a more vital or honorable basis as regards the growth and welfare of a city.  The Springfield real estate market has cone to be recognized as the leading financial interest of this progressive city of the Southwest, and among the leading and well known agents engaged in this is Col. C.C. Akin, who is well and favorably known for his upright and honorable methods of transacting business.  He is an energetic land agent, is locating many families in this section of the state on prairie and timber farms, and is a rustler with a Bid “R”,   has done much to advance the corporate growth and business interests of Springfield by inviting hither men of capital from various parts of the country and offering inducements to residents to own houses and lots as well as to purchase lands for manufacturing mercantile, and other purposes.  This most enterprising gentleman was born in Bullitt County Kentucky of the Blue Grass State .  After attending the best schools in the locality, including Gilead Institute, he taught school two years in Kentucky, one in Illinois, and three in North Missouri , closing his career as a teacher as principal of the graded school of Amazonia, Missouri.  Studying law in Missouri, he was admitted to the bar by the Hon. H. S. Kelley, judge of the twenty-ninth Missouri circuit, on October 28, 1879.  Since that time he has practiced his profession and also engaged in the real estate business.  For two years he resided in Brule County South Dakota, and is fully prepared to sympathize with his unfortunate brethren in that country of drouths and blizzards.   Mr. Atkins’s father, Rev. Moses Akin, was one of the best known ministers in Kentucky, celebrated as a pulpit orator and revivalist.  Mrs. Akin’s father , William Sallee, is one of the wealthiest farmers in Buchannan County (near St. Joseph), Mo.  During the past five years Mr. Akin has conducted one of the most active land offices in southwest Missouri, at the handsome city of Stockton, in Cedar County, and none among the dealers of realty enjoy a larger measure of public confidence than he.  He has met with success simply commensurate with the abilities he has displayed and is eminently qualified by long experience and practical ability to render service if the most valuable character.  
(Source:  Pictorial & Genealogical Record of Greene County, Missouri, Chicago, Goodspeed Brothers Publishers, 1893. Transcribed by Bud)

ALLEN, M. B., attorney at law and general collection agency, Marion; born at Saratoga Springs, N. Y., Aug. 26, 1813; moved to Addison, Addison Co., Vt., in 1817; when 10 years of age, went to Weybridge, Vt.; lived there one year, then went to Sudbury, Vt.; was there only a few months, then moved to Westport, Essex Co., N. Y.; when 11 years of age, went as cabin boy on a boat on Lake Champlain; run on the lake until he was 15 years old, then he returned to his native place, Saratoga Springs, and served apprenticeship at blacksmith and carriage maker's trades; in 1833, he went to Albany, N. Y.; remained there a few months, then he found employment in Simmons' Edge Tool Factory, at Cohoes Falls, where he worked seven months; worked a short time in Fairbanks' scale factory, at St. Johnsbury, Vt.; worked at Orwell, Rutland Co., Vt., during the Fall and Winter of 1836, and ran an emigrant boat between Whitehall and Buffalo during the Summer of 1837. Jan. 1, 1838, he married Priscilla E. Curtis; lived at Orwell and Whiting, Addison Co., Vt., until 1840, when he moved to Mt. Vernon, Ohio; in 1856, he came to Marion. Served as Deputy Sheriff and Constable about two years; was Justice of the Peace over four years, between 1863 and 1871. Admitted to the bar in January, 1870. Mr. Allen lost one son—Charles H.—in the army; he was a member of Co. A, 18th I. V. I. ; he died at Springfield, Mo., Feb. 9, 1863, aged 21 years. One daughter now living; her name is Eliza Jane.
[Source: The History of Linn County Iowa; Western Historical Company; 1878; transcribed by Andaleen Whitney]

George E. ANDERSON
George E. ANDERSON - The gentleman whose name heads this sketch is a young man full of enterprise and push and is recognized as among the leading business men of Springfield.  He has been a resident of the place  since August 31, 1890, but has been connected with the business interests of the city since 1883.  He first engaged in the manufacture of lumber in 1833 in a town known as Sargent, Texas Co. Mo.; his plant turning out from 12,000 to 15.00 feet of lumber per day, but he removed his business from that place to Shannon County in 1885 and increased the capacity of his plant from 20,000 to 25,000 feet per day.   The name of the firm that owned the plant was Anderson & son, George E Anderson’s Father being at the head of the concern.  He remained in that county from 1885 to1888, then purchased 21,000 acres of pine land and moved his plant to McDonald County and closed out their wholesale business in January 1892.  In 1891 they leased a planning- mill near Springfield and did wholesale business for a time, amounting to about one half million dollars a year. Which was one of the largest businesses of that kind in the state of Missouri.  All this time they conducted a mercantile business also, and carried a general line of goods valued at about$7,000.  Since about August 19, 1892, George E has carried on a retail lumber business, and in this, as in other occupations in which he has been engaged, he has been remarkably successful.   The Father John S. Anderson, was born in White County, Ill., March 28 1834, a son of John and Nancy(Trapp) Anderson, the grandfather being Scotch descent but a native of Kentucky.  John S Anderson was a volunteer in the first Illinois Cavalry, in which he served for about four years, at the end of which time he enlisted in the fourteenth Illinois Infantry., Company I, of which he became first lieutenant.  He was captured on Gen. Stoneman’s raid and was kept in captivity for some rime.  He was wounded once while in the service but on the whole was exceptionally fortunate in this respect  while in the service, and also suffered little from sickness, being at all times ready for duty.  In 1867 he and a brother went to Southeast Kansas, where they established a saw-mill, but also farmed one year, after which he purchased a large flouring-mill.  In 1877 he closed this out and in 1888 he and his son closed this business and began dealing in lumber, as stated above.  He was married twice, his first wife being Mary J. Wrenwick, who was born in White County, Ill., a daughter of James and Nancy (Galt) Wrenwick, who were born in Tennessee and Kentucky, respectively.   When the subject of this sketch was a mere lad his mother died, he being the eldest of the three children she bore her husband.  The other two are Eliza, widow if A. B. Chapman, who died in 1881, and Anna, who is living in Kansas, married to J. M. Holt.  After the death of his first wife Mr. Anderson married again in 1870, Rachel E. Wrenwick, her sister and to them  nine children have been born Albert, Francis, Cora, Roy, Terry, Clifford, Claud, Bertha and one died young.  John S. Anderson was a member of the A. F. & A. M. and the Albert Anderson Post of the G. A. R. , which was named in honor of his younger brother who died  in that foul pen, Andersonville Prison. 

He was interested in the political affairs of the day. Was a strong Republican and died Dec21. 1891.  He was a man of sound judgment, of excellent business qualities, and his successful career in the business world was but a natural sequence of mature judgment he at all times displayed.   George E Anderson was born in white County, Ill., August10, 1856, but upon the death of his mother, which occurred when he was about four years old, he was taken to Montana, Kans., where he attended school and learned the trade of an engineer, which he followed in that State for sixteen years.  Hr left school at the age of nineteen years, but being bright and intelligent and keenly alive to his own interest, he made the most of his opportunities and obtained a thoroughly practical education.  Later he became connected with his father in the saw-mill business and this has received a considerable portion of his attention up to the present time.  His business succeeded the Home Lumber Company, and he has since been a prominent figure in the lumber interest of the Southwest, ranking among the representative men engaged in that line of trade.  His yards are located on the corner of Booneville and Pine Streets, and although located in the very heart of the city, is dotted by towering oaks and sturdy hickory trees, whose delightful shade renders manual labor by no means a hardship.  His yard is one of the most complete and finely stocked in this section of this country and from it comes a large part of the lumber used in the city, while large shipments are made to other points.   His office at No. 709 Booneville Street is handsomely and conveniently furnished and is provided with a fine safe  and other essential office fixtures.  He gives employment to quite a number of men and has his own teams which are kept constantly busy.  He is a member of A, F. & A. M. , in which he has attained high rank, and is a member of Ararat Temple of the Mystic Shrine of Kansas City.  Politically hr has always been a Republican, and socially a public-spirited man.   He was married August20, 1890, to Miss Emma Morley , of Eureka Springs, Kans. And to their union a little daughter has been given. They own and occupy a pleasant and comfortable residence at no. 899 East Walnut Street, Springfield, where it is their delight to welcome their numerous friends.  Mr. Anderson is a man full of enterprise and push and is deservedly classed among the leading business men of the place.
(Source:  Pictorial & Genealogical Record of Greene County, Missouri, Chicago, Goodspeed Brothers Publishers, 1893. Transcribed by Bud)

Peter L. Anderson – This gentleman is the son of James and Hetty (Looney) Anderson, and was born in Marion county, Tennessee, July 28th, 1820. He grew to manhood in his native county, where he received his education. In 1850 he moved to Missouri, and reached Greene county the 6th of December. He rented land upon which he raised six crops, and then, in 1856, he purchased his present farm from a Mr. Rose, where he has since lived and added many valuable improvements. Mr. Anderson was married in Marion county, Tennessee, in 1837, to Miss Martha Hollaway. By this union there were five children, viz.: Hetty, Wm. H., John, Zaney and Elijah, three of whom are living. His son Wm. H. was a member of Kelsoe’s cavalry company in the regular service, U. S. A., and was taken prisoner in Newton county by some men who were disguised as Federal soldiers, and was never heard of afterwards. It is supposed he was put to death by his captors, as no word or trace of him ever reached his friends. Mr. Anderson’s first wife died in January, 1853. He was married the second time in December, 1865, to Mrs. Sarah Luce, of this county. Their marriage was blest with four children, viz.: Alexander, Henry, George and Martha Jane. Alex. died in 1880. Mr. Anderson is a member of the Congregational church at Republic. He is a member of the Greenback party, and is an honored citizen of the county.
Green County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883). Transcribed by Susan Geist

ARMSTRONG, Orland Kay, a Representative from Missouri; born in Willow Springs, Howell County, Mo., October 2, 1893; Drury College, Springfield, Mo., A.B., 1916; Cumberland University Law School, Lebanon, Tenn., LL.B., 1922; University of Missouri School of Journalism at Columbia, bachelor of journalism, M.A. in journalism, 1925; was admitted to the bar in 1922, but did not practice; teacher of English and public speaking at Southwest Baptist College, Bolivar, Mo., in 1916 and 1917; during the First World War served from private to lieutenant in the United States Army Air Corps 1917-1919; Y.M.C.A. welfare representative in France in 1919 and 1920; established department of journalism at University of Florida at Gainesville in 1925 and served as director 1925-1928; author, magazine writer, and newspaper correspondent; secretary of Missouri Century of Progress Commission 1930, 1932; delegate to Republican State conventions, 1932-1945, 1950, 1952, and 1966; delegate to Republican National Conventions in 1944 and 1952; member of the State house of representatives 1932-1936 and 1942-1944; member of editorial staff of Reader’s Digest from 1944 until his death; member of the staff of the United States Senate Committee on Post Office and Civil Service in 1947 and 1948; elected as a Republican to the Eighty-second Congress (January 3, 1951-January 3, 1953); was not a candidate for re-nomination in 1952; was a resident of Springfield, Mo., until his death there April 15, 1987; interment in Greenlawn Cemetery.
(Source: Biographical Directory of the US Congress 1774-Present)

REV. MARCUS ARRINGTON
This gentleman is the son of Abel and Margaret (Cobb) Arrington, and was born in Wilkes county, North Carolina, July 13th, 1820. In 1823, his parents moved to Rhea county, Tennessee, and, in the fall of 1829, they emigrated to Fulton county, Illinois, and, in 1839, to Greene county, Missouri. He was educated by B. McCord Roberts, and at the school at Ebenezer. Mr. Arrington then taught in several of the counties in Southwestern Missouri for several years. From the scholars of his first school nine afterwards became ministers. He was married in this county July 14th, 1842, to Miss L. McClure, daughter of John McClure. They had by their union two sons and two daughters. He carried on farming two years, and was then licensed to preach by the M.E. Church South, and appointed to the Osceola circuit. In the fall of 1844, he joined the conference, and, in 1845, was appointed to Hartville circuit. Then, at his own request, he was discontinued, and farmed for two years. He sold his farm, and, after moving about for a year or two, he joined the St. Louis conference in the fall of 1850, and preached upon different circuits. After the battle of Wilson’s Creek, he took charge of some of the sick and wounded, and finally took them to Lexington. He then went to Arkansas, and was appointed by Dr. Caples as chaplain of the Missouri State Guards, under Gen. McBride. At the battle of Pea Ridge, he was taken prisoner and sent to Alton, Illinois, where he was kept five months, and then released by order of the War Department. He then went South, where he met his wife and children in Arkansas. He then went to Illinois, and remained until 1865. He was then put upon a circuit, and so remains at the present. In 1870, he took his family to Arcadia, Iron county, Missouri, where he educated his children. He has been presiding elder of several districts, and is now living at Springfield. John B., son of the Rev. Marcus Arrington, was born in Polk county, Missouri, October 22nd, 1853, and was educated at Arcadia College, Iron county, Missouri. In 1873-4-5, was principal of Doniphan High School, Ripley county, Missouri, and, in 1878-9 taught the high school at Marble Hill, Missouri. In the fall of 1879, he took charge of the Mountain House Academy, and was its principal for two years, and then returned to Springfield. In the fall of 1882, he was the Greenback candidate for circuit clerk, and received about eleven hundred votes.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

J. S. ATKINSON
Among the reputable men of Springfield who in their conduct of business matters and the duties  belonging to the various relations of life have acquired a worthy name, we may mention Mr. Atkinson, who has been a resident of this city for at least ten years.  A man of superior intelligence and rare business ability and efficiency he has done not a little to advance the reputation the county enjoys as a commercial center.  He is at present manager if the Springfield White Lime Works and this calling  to which he devotes his attention suits him admirably for his efforts have been crowned with success  The limestone that Mr. Atkinson makes a specialty  of has been tested by some of the leading chemists and found to yield as follows: -- Silica 0.33 percent, Oxide of Iron 0.21 per cent, and Carbonate of Lime 99.46 percent , and pronounced the purest limestone ever analyzed.  The Springfield White Lime Company has been in existence since 1884 when it was established by James H. Smith of Springfield.  In October of that year the concern was incorporated under the law of Missouri, with James H. Smith president, J. G. Schermerhorn vice-president and J. S. Atkinson Secretary and treasurer.  On the 4th of March 1885, Mr. Atkinson bought Mr. Schermerhorn’s  interest after which Mr. Smith was elected President, M. M. Atkinson vice president and J. S. Atkinson secretary and treasurer.  Thus the firm continued until February 8, 1892 when J. S. Atkinson was elected President and treasurer, James H. Smith vice president, and M.M. Atkinson Secretary.   Thus the firm stands at the present time.  This large industry was established with a capital stock of $18,000 and is now doing an annual business of $50,000.  About twenty hands are employed, four kilns are kept going, and it has a capacity of 1.000 bushels per day.  His business has always been on a paying basis and he has one of the largest plants in this section of the country.  The firm ships to Kansas City, St. Joseph, Denver and to large number of points in Kansas and other states.  The lime is of perfectly pure nature, being made of a shelly formation of limestone, and is very superior in strength.  The Quarries are located at the crossing of the Frisco and Gulf Railroads on east Phelps Avenue, Springfield, and there is a large supply of the limestone which extends from 150 to 200 feet deep and extends for one half mile on the top of the hill near the plant.  M. Atkinson, the general manger, was originally from  the Keystone State where he grew to manhood and received his education.  He is the son of E.S. Atkinson, who still resides in Pennsylvania.  When twenty-one years of age Mr. Atkinson turned his face toward the setting sun and located in Kansas where he followed Merchandising.  Later he resided in Ft. Smith, Ark., and after this for eighteen years was in Indian Territory where he followed merchandising,  After coming to Springfield he was engaged in the real estate business for about a year and then embarked in his present industry  His business qualifications are of the highest order, and he is recognized as one of the best citizens of the city.  In his political views he leans to the Republican party and gives that the weight of his influence and vote.  In 1887 and ‘88 he was elected mayor of Springfield and was well liked as a public official.  He has been a member of the city council two or three times, is of a social, genial disposition, and has a large share of these traits of character to go to make up the popular citizen.   He was chairman of the County Republican Committee one year.  In 1859 he became a member of the Masonic Fraternity, Mound City Lodge  No. 33, and is also a member of the knights of Honor.  While a resident of Kansas he was married to Miss Maria Manington, a native of New York State and five children were born to this union, three of whom are living: John E, Ruth S., and Ethel M.. The son is in a hardware store in Springfield and the daughters are attending Drury College.  Mr. Atkinson has a pleasant home at 1251 Benton Avenue, near Drury College, and is surrounded with all the comforts of life.  Hr and family attend the Presbyterian Church of which they are all members and contribute liberally to its support.
(Source:  Pictorial & Genealogical Record of Greene County, Missouri, Chicago, Goodspeed Brothers Publishers, 1893. Transcribed by Bud)

LEMUEL B. AUSTIN
This gentleman is the son of Green and Nancy (Freeman) Austin, and was born in this county November 14, 1836. His father was born January 1st, 1805, and came to this county in 1834. His mother was born in September, 1808, and died in August, 1876. Lemuel was educated in the common schools of the county, and has been engaged in farming since boyhood. He lives four miles east of Springfield, and owns six hundred and seventy-nine acres of land, a good portion of which is under cultivation and well improved. Mr. Austin is extensively engaged in stock raising. He was married February 1st, 1863, to Miss Louisa J., daughter of George W. and Mary Mitchel. They are blest with a family of six children, viz.: Charles G., born December 6th, 1863; Mary E., born March 17th, 1865; Annie L., born July 22nd, 1869; Nannie V., born December 25th, 1871; Albert M., born September 4th, 1876; Blanche, born July 3rd, 1881. Mr. Austin is a member of the A.F. and A.M.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler



Return to

Greene County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.