Greene County Missouri
Mr. Bacon is a son of Robert and Elizabeth (Jeffries) Bacon, and was born in Franklin county, Kentucky, March 10th, 1835. He came to Missouri in 1854, and settled in Cooper county, near Boonville. Here he commenced fruit growing, and has since made it his chief occupation. In September, 1880, he came to Greene county and purchased his present home, three and one-half miles west of Springfield, where he has a pleasant and comfortable home, and is extensively engaged in fruit culture, especially berries. During the summer of 1882 he sold three hundred bushels of blackberries alone. Mr. Bacon was married April 1st, 1861, to Miss Susan Connor, of Cooper county. Their union has been blest with four children, viz.: Mary E., Robert, Sallie and Mattie. [Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
WILLIAM J. BAGBY
Prominently connected with the mining industries of Jasper county, Missouri, is William J. Bagby, the efficient superintendent of the well-known Marion mine. The birth of Mr. Bagby was in Springfield, Greene county, Missouri, and he was a son of Samuel and Ruth (Marshall) Bagby, the former of whom died when the son was but four years old, the latter, a native of Missouri, now living in Fort Scott, Kansas.
Mr. Bagby came to Joplin in 1882. For the previous nine years he had been a conductor on the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad, but he saw the great opportunities afforded in Jasper county and decided to locate in the mining districts. Since that time he has been continuously engaged opening up some fine mines and acting as ground foreman and as contractor, but in 1899 he came to the Marion mine and has opened it from the top down, the two shafts extending one hundred and seventy and one hundred and fifty feet, respectively, and uses a one-hundred-and-fifty-ton mill. This plant is located on Continental land and the ore is of A 1 quality.
Mr. Bagby married Miss Helen Robinson, who was born in Lawrence, Kansas, a daughter of Samuel Robinson, who was one of the early settlers of Lawrence. Three children have been born of this union, namely: Benjamin, Roy and Vianna, all of them now attending school. Socially Mr. Bagby is connected with the A.O.U.W. and Woodmen of the World. [Source is: The biographical record of Jasper County, Missouri By Malcolm G. McGregor (1901). Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
DR. THOMAS JEFFERSON BAILEY.
Dr. Bailey was a native of Kentucky, born in Lincoln county, January 17, 1803, whither his father, John Bailey, had removed with his family from Virginia. There the father died, and Thomas J. grew up to manhood. He read medicine at Danville under the able preceptorship of Drs. Smith and McDowell, till he was prepared for practice. Prior to removing to Missouri, in 1828, he married Miss Harriet Sproul, a native of the same county as himself. He settled first in Ralls county, this State, where he practiced medicine till 1837, removing thence to Springfield, when that town was a mere hamlet. Both himself and wife were well pleased, and, resolving to stay, located on a forty-acre tract between the two cities of Springfield. Here he began a most successful professional career, and for nearly a quarter of a century ministered to the sick in his plain, simple way that build him the large practice out of which he realized a fortune. His sympathetic disposition and moderate charges made him beloved of all, no one every complaining of excessive bills. His plain style won confidence, and he was never a man to judge others by dress or outward appearance, but always looked within to find the man. He thoroughly believed that "’Twas not in rank or wealth or state, but 'get up and get' that makes men great." Dr. Bailey was a staunch Whig, who found foemen worthy of his steel in such Democrats as John S. Phelps, John P. Campbell, Nicholas R. Smith, and several others of Springfield and vicinity, with whom he coped all alone for several years, till joined by Col. Marcus Boyd in 1841. These leaders began collecting and organizing the Whigs; and though weak in number and frequently defeated, they still continued to gain strength, till by shrewd management they carried the county against the "Invincibles" in 1858. In 1860, Dr. Bailey favored the Bell and Everett ticket, and "The Union, the Constitution and the Enforcement of the Laws." When the civil war came, he gave his support to the Union cause. Too old for active military life, he stood as a reserve, and did all he could to further the success of the Federal arms. After the war, he took great interest in railroad building and did active work at Jefferson City to secure the building of the "Frisco" by legislative support. He died of pneumonia, April 17, 1869. His large estate he parceled out by will to his wife, his relatives and the volunteers who fought the battle of Springfield in 1863; and lastly, giving his ex-slaves what he considered a fair remuneration for their services. The large monument in the National Cemetery was paid for exclusively by him. Mrs. Bailey survived till 1873, when she, too, took her departure to the land of rest. Though they died childless, they were always liberal and charitable to needy children. Remembered by all, loved by many, the entire community mourned the loss of these two worthy people, and none live but can say to them in their graves, "Requiescat in peace."
[Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883); transcribed by S.Gruver]
Mr. Bair is the son of Jesse B. and Elizabeth (Bonfield) Bair, and was born in Tuscarawas county, Ohio, Dec. 18th, 1845. His father was born in Adams county, Penn., Nov. 11, 1814, and settled in Ohio in 1836. His mother was born in Canton, Ohio, Dec. 20th, 1819. James was educated in the common schools of Stark county, and completed his education at Mt. Union College, Mount Union, Ohio. He then taught school during the year 1868, in Stark county, Ohio, and the following year came to Greene county, Missouri, and has since made teaching his vocation, having taught in Campbell, Taylor, Franklin and Brookline townships. Mr. Bair was married August 11th, 1870, to Miss Virginia, daughter of William Jeffries, an old and highly respected citizen of this county. Their union has been blest with four children, viz.: Annie L., born April 20, 1871; William M., born May 4th, 1873; Victoria, born Sept. 8th, 1874, and died March 5, 1875; Charles A., born May 2nd, 1878. Mr. Bair was appointed justice of the peace in January, 1879, and still holds the office by appointment. He enlisted in company F, 80th Ohio infantry volunteers, upon the 21st of December, 1861, and served as sergeant major, and was first lieutenant at the close of the war. He was at the battle of Farmington, Miss., siege of Corinth, Iuka, Raymond, Jackson, Champion Hill, siege of Vicksburg and Mission Ridge. He was on the Atlanta campaign and in many skirmishes. He was mustered out in August, 1865, without having received a wound or being taken prisoner. All of his company except fifteen were killed or wounded at the battle of Corinth. [Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
GIDEON P. BALAY.
Mr. Balay was born in Greene county, Kentucky, July 9th, 1818. He is the son of Perry and Tamsey (Warren) Balay. When he was about ten years of age his parents emigrated to Johnson county, Indiana. Gideon moved to Marion county, Missouri in 1839, but only remained in that section of the State a year, and then removed to Cole county, where he remained until 1866. He then moved to Greene county and settled permanently. He now owns a fine farm two and a half miles southeast of Ash Grove. Mr. Balay held the office of constable, for four and one-half years, of Boone township. He and his wife are members of the Methodist church at Ash Grove. He was married June 15th, 1843, to Miss Eliza A. Hightower, of Patrick county, Virginia. Their union has been blest with thirteen children, five of whom are dead. Their family is one whom every one respects, and no man in Greene county enjoys the confidence of his neighbors to any greater extent than Mr. Balay. During the war he was chairman of the Home Guards of Cole county. His oldest son John, was killed in Arkansas by a band of bushwhackers. He was a Union soldier, defending his country from the advances of the Confederates. [Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883); transcribed by S.Gruver]
HUGH L. BALDWIN
Mr. Baldwin is the son of Theophilus and Lucy Baldwin, and was born in Lawrence county, Indiana, November 20, 1838. He was left an orphan at the age of twelve years, and when he was fifteen he went to Richland county, Illinois, where he worked upon a farm. In 1862 he commenced railroading as a brakeman, upon the Chicago, Alton and St. Louis R.R. In ten months he was promoted to freight conductor, and held that position upon that road for seven years. In 1870 he went upon the Burlington and Cedar Rapids R.R., in the same capacity, but in the same year went to the Central Pacific R.R., and was yard-master at Oakland until 1872. In 1873 he came to Springfield, Mo., and is now one of the most popular and prosperous grocery merchants of North Springfield. Mr. Baldwin is a Royal Arch Mason, and one of the substantial citizens of the county. He was married in 1858, to Miss Sarah J. Philhower, daughter of William and Lucinda Philhower, of Richland county, Ill. Their union has been blest with five children, three of whom are yet living. [Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Mr. Barnes was born in Circleville, Ohio, October 7, 1846. In 1864 he began railroading upon the Louisville & Nashville railroad, and worked at it for several months. He then returned to his home at Madison, Indiana, where he was engaged in the mercantile business with his father. In 1873 he went to Oswego, Kansas, where he was again engaged in merchandising for four years. Then he was assistant clerk in the county offices at the courthouse in Oswego, and next joined a civil engineer corps and worked at that business for several months. He then returned to Oswego and worked in the courthouse six months. He then was engaged in the construction of a railroad from Parsons to Cherryvale, Kansas. In 1879 and 1881 he was city assessor of Oswego, and in June, 1881, he went to work for the St. L. & S.F. R.R., as clerk for J.R. Wentworth, superintendent of the Kansas division of that road, whose office was then at Neodesha, Kansas. Mr. Barnes remained there a year, and was then transferred to North Springfield, where he is clerk in the office of the superintendent of the Missouri & Kansas division of the same road. Mr. Barnes was married upon New Year’s eve, 1876, to Miss L.F. Elliott, of Oswego, Kansas. They have one child, Eva Belle. [Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Mr. Barclay is the son of Alexander and Catherine (Nelson) Barclay, and was born in Rutherford county, North Carolina, but was taken by his parents to White county, Tennessee, when he was quite young. His father was killed by bushwhackers on July 11, 1863. His mother is still living in White county, Tennessee. Mr. Barclay was educated in the common schools of Tennessee. He learned the carriage and wagonmaker’s trade, and carried on the business until January, 1870, when he removed to Illinois, where he lived but a few months, and then went to Cherryvale, Kansas, and helped to lay the foundation of the first house built in that place, and taught the first school in Montgomery county. He came to Greene county, Missouri, in the spring of 1878, and farmed a year. He next went into the dry goods business at Walnut Grove, with Mr. J. Brown. December 24th, 1881, he, in partnership with J.H. Brown, opened a drug store, where they also carry a full line of groceries. Mr. Barclay was married October 11, 1875 to Miss Rebecca, daughter of J. Brown, Esq., one of the early settlers of the county. Their union has been blessed with three sons, two of whom are now living. Mr. and Mrs. Barclay are members of the Baptist church, and he is a Master Mason. He enlisted in the First Tennessee Regiment, Company F, in 1864, and was in some of the battles at the close of the war. [Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883); transcribed by S.Gruver]
JUDGE JAMES BAKER
Judge James Baker is the son of M. and Margaret (Waters) Baker, and was born April 1st, 1819, in Mason county, Kentucky. He was educated at the Indiana State University, at Bloomington. In the fall of 1838 he moved to Davenport, Iowa, where he studied law in the office of Judge James Grant. He remained there until 1843, when he moved to Ottumwa, Iowa, and practiced law in that city for ten years. In 1853 he was appointed by President Pierce as register of the land office, at Chariton, Iowa. After two or three years he resumed the practice of law at Chariton. In 1861 the Legislature of Iowa created an executive commission to raise money and equip troops for the army, and he was appointed as one of the commissioners. In the fall of 1861 he recruited the 13th Iowa infantry, and was its lieutenant colonel. He was at the battles of Shiloh, Iuka and Corinth. He resigned because of sickness, and in the spring of 1864 came to Springfield, Mo., where he was for a time associated in law with Capt. A.M. Julian and Col. Fazan. In 1868 he was appointed attorney for the Atlantic and Pacific railroad. In the fall of 1870 he was also appointed attorney for the Missouri Pacific railroad, and was attorney for both roads until 1876. He has been attorney, vice president and president of the St. Louis and San Francisco railway. He was appointed as one of the judges of the Supreme Court by Gov. Fletcher in 1868. [Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
JAMES M. BAKER – Mr. Baker is the son of Hamilton and Nancy (Haynie) Baker who were natives of Tennessee. James was born in McMinn county, Tenn., Nov 2d, 1851. In 1854 his parents moved to Greene county, Mo., where he grew to manhood, and received but a limited education. He has since lived in the county and owns a fine farm of one hundred and sixty acres of land, besides property in Bois D’Arc. In 1881, he, in partnership with Mr. E. E. Hendrix engaged in merchandising at Bois D’Arc, to which place he moved his family in 1882. He was married January 8th, 1870, to Miss Catherine, daughter of James and Sallie (Leeper) Harralson of this county. By this union they have three children, viz.: William, Ardello and Walter E. Mr. Baker is one of the safe, reliable men of the county, and enjoys the confidence of all. [Green County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883). Transcribed by Susan Geist]
DR. BEVERLY A. BARRETT.
Dr. Barrett is the son of John S. and Margaret (Patterson) Barrett, and was born in Ste. Genevieve county, January 8, 1826. The father was also a physician, was a Virginian, and emigrated to this State in 1811, and was a member of the first Missouri General Assembly. Beverly A. was the sixth child of a family of ten children, and had the advantages of a common school education in his native county, subsequently attending a seminary taught by Fox and Davis at Fredericktown. He began the study of his profession in 1845, and after two years’ close application to medical lore, began the practice in Dallas county, Mo., where he remained till 1858, removing thence to Springfield, his present home. In 1864 he moved to St. Louis, and remained there till 1869, he moved back to Springfield which has been his constant place of abode since then. Dr. Barrett has been in the active practice for thirty-five years, and has done as much labor as any physician in the Southwest. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and was at one time master of the lodge. He is also a member of the M.E. Church South and has been for about twenty-five years.
Politically, he is a Democrat, and always acts with that party. He is a member of the State Medical Association, and keeps well up in professional literature.
Dr. Barrett was married in 1847, to Miss Susan Randleman, in Buffalo, Dallas county, who bore him five children. His first wife died in St. Louis in 1865, and he was again married in 1871, to Miss Mary E. Priest, of Maury county, Tennessee, an estimable lady, devoted to the cause of church and to acts of Christian charity. Dr. Barrett, although eminently successful as a practitioner, has never sought to accumulate wealth, but has, on the contrary, been moderate in his charges and done much charity work for which he never asked or received any compensation. During the civil war, he was a warm friend of the Southern cause, but never took any active part nor once neglected his professional duties; his principles of heart prompting him to give his services to both armies when needed, and always to bear himself as becomes the gentleman and man of honor that he is. [Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883); transcribed by S.Gruver]
REV. KIRK BAXTER
Mr. Baxter is a native of the city of New York, born February 26, 1829. His parents were Henry and Mary Baxter, who moved to the city of Baltimore and lived there three years. They next moved to Washington City and then to Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, where Kirk grew to manhood. He entered college at Bethany, Virginia, in 1848, and graduated from that celebrated institution in 1851. He then went to Wilkinson county, Mississippi, and taught school two years. He then began preaching and labored in that sacred calling until 1867, when he came to Springfield, Missouri, and took charge of the Christian church from 1867 to 1871. Three years of this time he taught a high school. He next preached in the counties of Southwest Missouri as an evangelist, but made Springfield his home. In March, 1875 he moved to Huntsville, Randolph county, Missouri, and preached there a year, and then went to Dallas, Texas, preaching for his church in that city four years. He then returned to this county and took charge of the church at Antioch, where he still holds the pastorate of that congregation. He owns the farm upon which he lives and has a pleasant home. He was married June 12, 1856, to Miss A.F. Jackson, of Clinton, Louisiana. Their union has been blest with nine children, viz.: Charles W., Mary A., Willie H. (deceased), Fannie, Cornelia, Rosa J., George H., Kirk E. and Walter Wood. In 1878, while traveling in Texas with the noted evangelist, Knowles Shaw, the train was wrecked and Shaw killed instantly. [Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
BENTLY O. BEARDEN
Mr. Bearden is a native of this county, born December 26th, 1856. His parents are Elias M. and Nancy A. Bearden, old settlers of Greene county, who came here in 1841 and settled on the farm on which they reside at this writing, two and a half miles east of Springfield. Soon after coming to this county, Bently O. engaged in farming until 1880, then came to North Springfield and went to work in the railroad machine shops, where he remained until April 1st, 1882, when he was elected city marshal, which position he is still filling. December 25th, 1881, Mr. Bearden married Miss Elizabeth McGowen, of Ozark county, Missouri. Mr. B. is a member of Springfield lodge No. 2285, of the Knights of Honor, and is an efficient public officer, a worthy citizen, and one who receives and deserves the universal esteem of all who know him. [Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Mr. Beckerleg was born in Ontario, Canada, June 2, 1858. He commenced firing on the St. Louis and San Francisco railway in 1874, and fired until July 2, 1880, when he was promoted engineer, and has been running an engine upon the road ever since. He was married to Miss Martha Franklin. Their union has been blest with two children, Addie May and James. Mr. Beckerleg is a member of Frisco lodge, Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen. [Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Edward Beer was born in Kent, England, December 4, 1831. When sixteen years old he commenced working in the Northwestern R.R. machine shops in Yorkshire, England, where he learned to be a machinist, and worked seven years. Then fired on a locomotive on the above mentioned railroad, for about three and a half years, then took an engine and ran in on that road for twelve years. He came to America in 1870, and has worked at his trade on various roads ever since, excepting about three years of the time he was engaged in farming near Brookline, Missouri. In October, 1882, he took an engine on the St. Louis and San Francisco railway, which he is running at present. Mr. Beer has been twice married. His first wife was Miss Sarah L. Shutt, whom he married in Harrogate, England. She died in Rock Island, Illinois, in 1870. His second wife was a Miss Fanny S. Dennis, of Rock Island, Illinois. He is a member of Division No. 83, Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, of which he is chaplain. [Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
BENNETT, Marion Tinsley, (son of Philip A. Bennett), a Representative from Missouri; born in Buffalo, Dallas County, Mo., June 6, 1914; attended the public schools of Buffalo, Jefferson City, and Springfield, Mo.; Southwest Missouri State College at Springfield, A.B., 1935 and Washington University School of Law, St. Louis, Mo., J.D., 1938; was admitted to the bar in 1938 and commenced practice in Springfield, Mo.; served as secretary to his father, Congressman Philip A. Bennett, 1941-1943; colonel in United States Air Force Reserve until 1974; member of the Greene County (Mo.) Republican central committee 1938-1942; delegate to Missouri State Conventions, 1938, 1940, 1944, 1946, and 1948; elected as a Republican to the Seventy-eighth Congress to fill the vacancy caused by the death of his father; reelected to the Seventy- ninth and Eightieth Congresses and served from January 12, 1943, to January 3, 1949; congressional delegate to inspect atrocity camps in Germany, 1945; was an unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1948 to the Eighty-first Congress; commissioner, United States Court of Claims, Washington, D.C., January 4, 1949, to September 11, 1964, when he became chief commissioner and served until July 7, 1972; judge, U.S. Court of Claims, 1972-1982; judge, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal circuit, 1982; senior U.S. Circuit judge, 1986-1987; died in Alexandria, Va., on September 6, 2000; interment at Hazelwood Cemetery, Springfield, Mo. (Source: Biographical Directory of the US Congress 1774-Present)
BENNETT, Philip Allen, (father of Marion T. Bennett), a Representative from Missouri; born on a farm near Buffalo, Dallas County, Mo., March 5, 1881; attended the public schools and Buffalo (Mo.) High School; was graduated from Springfield (Mo.) Normal and Business College in 1902; taught school at Independence, Mo., in 1899 and at Boyd, Mo., in 1900; purchased the Buffalo (Mo.) Reflex, which he edited and published 1904- 1921; chairman of the Dallas County (Mo.) Republican committee for eight years; delegate to the Republican National Convention in 1912; served in the State senate 1921-1925; moved to Springfield, Mo., in 1922 and engaged in the real estate and loan business; Federal land bank appraiser 1923-1925; Lieutenant Governor of Missouri 1925-1929; unsuccessful candidate for the Republican nomination for Governor in 1928; engaged in the insurance and loan business; unsuccessful candidate for election in 1938 to the Seventy-sixth Congress; elected as a Republican to the Seventy-seventh Congress and served from January 3, 1941, until his death in Washington, D.C., December 7, 1942; had been reelected to the Seventy-eighth Congress; interment in Hazelwood Cemetery, Springfield, Mo. (Source: Biographical Directory of the US Congress 1774-Present)
Mr. Bennett was born in Chemung county, New York, July 31st, 1847. His parents were Charles and Louisa (Canfield) Bennett. His father was born May 11th, 1807, and his mother was born May 18th, 1810. When our subject was about two years of age his parents removed to Kendall county, Illinois, where they lived until 1870, and then removed to Greene county, Missouri. Chas. Bennett, Sr. lived there until May, 1882, and then returned to his county where he died July 26, 1882. Charles Bennett was educated in the common schools, and has followed farming as an occupation. He owns a fine farm of four hundred and thirty-two acres in Campbell township, well improved and in a high state of cultivation. He was married October 20th, 1881, to Miss Sarah Smith, who is a native of Kendall county, Illinois, born August 13th, 1850. Their union has been blest with one child, Charles, Jr., born September 11, 1882. Mr. Bennett is a member of the Masonic fraternity, with membership at Raven Lodge, No. 303, Oswego, Illinois. He has been very successful in farming and stock raising, and is one of the substantial citizens of Greene county. In politics he is a Republican. [Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
WILLIAM M. BENNETT – This gentlemen is the son of Parminter M. and Sarah (Kelsy) Bennett, and was born in Cocke county, Tennessee, October 13th, 1840. His parents were natives of South Carolina, but emigrated to Tennessee in an early day, and came to Greene county, Missouri, in 1844. His mother died in 1876 and his father died in 1880. William grew to manhood in this county, and on the 26th of July, 1862, enlisted in company A, 8th Missouri Cavalry, U. S. A., and served until the war closed. He was at the battles of Prairie Grove, Little Rock, Ashley Station, and numerous scouting and skirmishing expeditions. After the war he returned home and has since been engaged in farming. He owns a farm of ninety-five acres in Center township. He was married October 29th, 1865, to Miss Martha A., daughter of James W., and Susan C. (Bird) McSpadden of this county. Mrs. Bennett’s father was a native of Tennessee, and her mother of Georgia. Her father was a soldier in the Mexican war, and in the civil war, was upon the Confederate side, and died from the effects of a wound received at Iuka, Mississippi. Mr. and Mrs. Bennett have had a family of seven children, six living, viz.: Susan L., Henry W., Sarah C., Aurelia C., Mary O. and William I. Mr. Bennett and wife have been members of the Methodist church for sixteen years, and he has been class-leader for four years. [Green County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883). Transcribed by Susan Geist]
BENTON, Maecenas Eason, (great nephew of Thomas Hart Benton), a Representative from Missouri; born near Dyersburg, Obion County, Tenn., January 29, 1848; attended two west Tennessee academies and St. Louis University; was graduated from the law department of Cumberland University, Lebanon, Tenn., in 1870; served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War; was admitted to the bar and commenced practice in Neosho, Newton County, Mo.; prosecuting attorney of Newton County 1878-1884; United States attorney from March 1885 to July 1889; delegate to the Democratic National Convention in 1896; elected as a Democrat to the Fifty-fifth, Fifty-sixth, Fifty-seventh, and Fifty-eighth Congresses (March 4, 1897-March 3, 1905); unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1904 to the Fifty-ninth Congress; resumed the practice of law in Neosho, Mo.; member of the State constitutional conventions in 1922 and 1924; died in Springfield, Greene County, Mo., April 27, 1924; interment in the Odd Fellows Cemetery, Neosho, Mo. [Source: Biographical Directory of the US Congress 1774-Present]
JOHN S. BENSON
Mr. Benson is the son of Samuel and Nancy (Bull) Benson, and was born in Accomack county, Virginia, April 17, 1813. He was educated in the common schools, and at the age of seventeen went to Baltimore and learned the watch-maker and jeweler’s trade. In 1835 he came West and stopped at St. Louis, Mo. In 1842 he went to Lacon, Illinois, where he followed his trade and carried on farming, for twenty-seven years. He came to Springfield, Missouri, in the spring of 1869. Mr. Benson was married in 1842 to Miss Amanda F. Houge, a native of Kentucky. Mrs. Benson is a member of the Episcopal church. Her mother is still living at the age of ninety-two. Mr. Benson’s father died in Virginia in 1855, and his mother in 1866. They had four sons, none living save John S.
[Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
HENRY S.D. BERRY, M.D.
Dr. Berry is the son of Spartan D. and Jane M. Berry, and was born in Anderson county, South Carolina, September 29th, 1853. His maternal grandfather was an officer in the war of 1812, and a general of militia. His father died in 1855, and he and his mother moved to Texas in 1869. He received most of his education from his mother, spending one term at the university. In 1873 he engaged in the drug business, at Dennison, Texas, and in 1874 entered the Louisville Medical College, from which institution he graduated in 1876. Returning to Dennison he commenced practicing his profession, enjoying a lucrative practice. He was health officer and member of the city council of Dennison, resigning when he left. In 1881 he entered the St. Louis Medical College, graduating in 1882. He then located at North Springfield, and thus early ranks among the leading physicians of the city, and does a leading practice. The doctor is a Mason, and a member of the Order of Chosen Friends, being their medical examiner. He was married in 1877, to Miss Lou, daughter of John and Mary Murphy, of Franklin county, Missouri. They have one child, James H. [Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
NATHANIEL BETSON – This gentleman is the son of Robert and Mary (Mount) Betson, and was born in Clinton county, Ohio, December 20, 1821. His father was a native of New Jersey and his mother of Pennsylvania, in which State they were married. Nathaniel was the second of a family of eleven children, and when he was about three years of age his parents moved back to Greene county, Pa., where they remained until 1833, when they returned to Clinton county, Ohio. In the fall of 1840 the Betsons moved to Missouri, and located in Greene county, in the northern part of Pond Creek township. Nathaniel lived with his father until he was twenty- five years of age and then he was married to Miss Nancy C., daughter of James and Jane (Stockton) Hughes. She was born in Rhea county, Tennessee, November 14, 1829. When she was four years of age her parents moved to Alabama, and in 1844 they moved to Greene county, Missouri. Her father was a soldier in the Mexican War and also in the Union army in the civil war. He died from wounds received at the battle of Pea Ridge, Arkansas. He served his country in two great wars, and at last met a soldier’s death. Mr. Betson has always followed farming, and is one of the most successful and substantial farmers in Greene county. He owns a finely improved farm of five hundred and forty acres. He had four sons in the Union army, one of whom died in the service. Mr. and Mrs. Betson were blest with nine children, eight of whom are living, viz.: Malina, Isaac, Abner B., James M., George W., Nathaniel L. H., Sarah L. G. and C. David. [Green County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883). Transcribed by Susan Geist]
ALLEN J. BIGGS
Mr. Biggs was born in Robertson county, Tennessee, February 14th, 1820, and is a son of David and Frances Biggs, both of whom were natives of Virginia. Allen J. lived in Robertson county until he was seventeen years of age, and then went to Callaway county, Kentucky, and lived there until 1843. He then emigrated to Missouri, and took up a claim in Greene county, near his present home. He now owns one hundred and seventy acres of land, besides giving his children three hundred acres. During the war he dealt in mules, buying and selling to the government. Mr. Biggs has been married twice; the first time, February 1st, 1840, to Martha Legan, of Callaway county, Kentucky. She died in January, 1842. He was married the second time to Nancy M., daughter of John and Keziah Robertson, upon the 3rd of October, 1843. This union has been blest with five children, viz.: Napoleona (now Mrs. J.R. Debaun), Adolphus, John R., W.W. and Kizzie, now Mrs. Wilson Fulbright. W.W. was married June 20th, 1882, to Maggie D. Waltz. [Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
WILLIAM WALLACE BLACKMAN – Mr. Blackman is the son of Stephen and Matilda J. (Campbell) Blackman, and was born in Maury county, Tennessee, December 28th, 1831, and came with his parents to Greene county, Missouri, in 1835. His parents were natives of Tennessee, and his grandfather upon his mother’s side was a soldier in the war of 1812, and died in the army at New Orleans. His father entered the land now used as a race track near Springfield. He died March 18th, 1870 and his wife died December 18th, 1870. William grew to manhood in this county, and in 1852 he went to California with a drove of cattle. He remained there two years, working and trading. He returned home in 1854 via Lake Nicaragua, landing at New Orleans, having saved twenty-five hundred dollars. In 1857 he took a drove of cattle across to California upon his own account, and returned the same year, coming via Isthmus of Panama and landing at New York with seven thousand dollars. He then began farming and stock dealing in this county, and at the beginning of the civil war was worth twenty-five thousand dollars. June 17th, 1861 he enlisted in Captain Campbell’s company of cavalry, Confederate service, and served until the war closed. At Wilson’s Creek he was a guide for General Rains on that memorable battlefield. After the battle at Pea Ridge was transferred east of the Mississippi to Corinth, and in 1862 Major Campbell was sent with seventy-five men into this section to recruit a regiment. They succeeded and Mr. Blackman was with that regiment at the battles of Little Rock, Pine Bluff, Poison Spring, Jenkin’s Ferry and Pilot Knob. He was desperately wounded in September, 1864, being shot in the head at the ear, and the bullet is still in his head in the back part near the base of the brain. He also carries a ball in his leg which broke the bone, and has never been extracted. It was eleven days before he could get his wounds dressed, as the surgeons thought it would hasten his death. But they finally dressed them and he began to mend at once. When the Confederates left, he was taken prisoner by the Federals and sent to the Alton penitentiary, and afterward was exchanged at Richmond, Virginia, and sent to Mobile, and then to Jackson, Mississippi. When the war closed he went to Texas, when he remained until 1869 and then returned to Greene county. He found his affairs in a bad plight and himself about twenty-five hundred dollars in debt. He set about to retrieve his fallen fortunes in which he has succeeded well. He has a large farm well stocked and an elegant residence. He was married October 29th, 1866, to Miss Julia, daughter of Madison and Margaret S. (Davidson) Fanning of Titus county, Texas. They are blest with three children. Mr. Blackman is a member of the Christian church. [Green County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883). Transcribed by Susan Geist]
PETER BLACKWELL – Mr. Blackwell is the son of Sylvester and Martha (Gregg) Blackwell, and was born in Polk county, Tennessee, January 20th, 1839. In 1846 his parents moved to McMinn county. His father was a justice of the peace and colonel of the militia. Peter came to Greene county, Missouri, in 1855, and in 1857 he went to Kansas where he lived until 1865. He served during a portion of the war with the Kansas State troops, and since 1865 he resided in this county engaged in farming. He has been a member of the A. F. and A. M. since 1865, and for twelve years has been a member of the M. E. Church South. Mr. Blackwell owns a good farm of one hundred and forty-two acres. He was married in 1860 to Miss Frances J., daughter of Edmund and Mary (Frazier) Hart, of Allen county, Kansas, formerly of Illinois. By this union there are four children living, viz.: Julia A., Laura E., Edmund S. and Mary L. Mrs. Blackwell died November 27, 1879. Mr. Blackwell was married the second time, October 28th, 1880, to Mrs. Mary Grubbs, daughter of Galon and Rebecca (Tatum) Johnson, of Greene county, Missouri. Their union has been blest with one son, Walter M. Mrs. Blackwell had two children by her former husband, Lewis A. and Annie May. Mr. Grubbs died in 1877. [Green County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883). Transcribed by Susan Geist]
SYLVESTER BLACKWELL – This gentleman is the son of Peter and Lydia (Padget) Blackwell, and was born in Rutherford county, North Carolina, November 14, 1810. Both his grandfathers were Revolutionary soldiers. One of them, Blackwell, was at the battle of Cowpens. Sylvester Blackwell was born within four miles of the battle ground. In 1823 his parents moved to McMinn county, Tennessee, where he grew to manhood. He was a farmer and blacksmith, and was quite a prominent citizen there, having held the office of justice of the peace four years, and being colonel of a regiment of State militia. In 1855 he moved to Greene county, Missouri, and in 1863 moved to the farm where he now resides. He has been twice married, the first time to Miss Martha, daughter of Joel and Eunice Grigg, of McMinn county, Tennessee. They had by that union fourteen children. Mrs. Blackwell died August 27, 1876, and he was married the second time to Mrs. Boyd, widow of the late Col. Marcus Boyd. She was a Miss Price, daughter of Crabtree and L. Price, natives of Virginia, who came to Greene county in 1836. Mr. Blackwell had one son in the Federal and one in the Confederate army. He has been a member of the M. E. Church South, since he was nineteen years of age, and is regarded as one of the most upright citizens of the county. [Green County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883). Transcribed by Susan Geist]
JOHN A. BLANCHARD – This gentleman is the son of Henry H. and Mary W. (Patton) Blanchard, and was born in Logan county, Kentucky, December 7, 1836. In 1839 his parents moved to Greene county, Missouri, and settled upon Leeper Prairie, where John grew to manhood. When he was twenty years of age he began teaching school and followed that in connection with farming until 1874. In 1861 he enlisted in Capt. Campbell’s company of Missouri State Guards as orderly sergeant, and was at the battles of Dug Spring and Wilson’s Creek. At the expiration of his terms of enlistment he was taken with typhoid fever, which disabled him for further service at the time. In February, 1862, he and his father started South in the rear of Price’s army. They were overtaken upon the 12th of that month by Federal troops, who took his father out of the wagon and killed him. He was sick in the wagon at the time. He returned home with his father’s body, and in 1863 moved to Boone county, Missouri, where he remained until 1865. He then returned to this county, where he has remained ever since. He has been justice of the peace, and was county recorder from 1874 to 1878. Mr. Blanchard is a Mason, and a deacon and clerk of the Baptist church, of which he has been a member for twenty-seven years. In 1865 he only had a wagon and team, and he now owns a finely improved farm of one hundred and eighty acres. He was married September 17, 1863, to Miss Cordelia D., daughter of Lewis F. and Sarah (Robinson) Tatum, of this county. [Green County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883). Transcribed by Susan Geist]
RANSOM D. BLADES, SR.
This old settler and prominent citizen is the son of Edward and Ellen (Maynar) Blades, and was born in McMinn county, Tennessee, January 29, 1821. He was the second child and oldest son. His parents were natives of North Carolina, but moved to Tennessee shortly after their marriage. In 1836, when Ransom was fifteen years of age, they came to Greene county, Missouri, and settled on section 10, township 28, range 24. Then that part of the county was settled by only two or three families, and to the southwest of them there were no neighbors nearer than forty miles. They went through all the hardships incidental to early pioneer life, and the wild, open country that they found upon arriving they redeemed from the wolves and foxes, and the glad earth yielded bountiful crops to bless the hardihood and pluck of these pioneers. The schools, both in the eastern part of Tennessee and here at that early day were poor and scarce, and Mr. Blades received but six weeks’ schooling. But in the great school of experience he learned his lessons well, and in due time arose to be one of Greene’s foremost citizens. In April, 1841, Mr. Blades was married to Frances, daughter of Samuel Garoutte, Esq. She belonged to that noted family of that name which appears frequently in these pages, and whose family history appears fully in other chapters. Their marriage was blest with eleven children. Mrs. Blades died March 17, 1863, and on June 14, 1863, Mr. Blades was married the second time to Mrs. Gillie S. Davis, nee Williamson. Before the war Mr. Blades had been a Democrat, but favored the Union and the winter of 1861-2 he spent in Kansas, because he was outspoken in his devotion to the Union cause, and the Confederates then had possession of the country. He has been a member of the Methodist church for twenty-seven years, and now in an old age full of honor, he enjoys the respect and confidence of all good men. He owns a magnificent farm, well stocked and equipped in all the modern improvements. [Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883); transcribed by S. Gruver]
FRANK C. BOBBITT is a son of John and Amanda Bobbitt, and was in Grayson county, Virginia, August 25, 1856. His father was a blacksmith by trade, and Frank worked with him, learning that trade in his father’s shop, and has followed that vocation all his life. From 1875 to 1879, he worked at his calling in Ohio and Kentucky, and in the latter year came to Greene county, Missouri, working at his trade in Ash Grove and for the railroad company. He located in Bois D’Arc in 1882, where he does a flourishing business in his line. Mr. Bobbitt was married in 1879 (March 2d) to Miss Lizzie Alexandre, of Lincoln county, Kentucky. They have two children, one boy and one girl, name Rosa B., and John. Mr. B. is a man well thought of by the people of the community, and is a reliable and trustworthy citizen. [Green County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883). Transcribed by Susan Geist]
ANDREW J. BODENHAMER
This gentleman is the son of Jacob and Nettie (Goss) Bodenhamer, and was born in that part of Greene county that is now Webster county, Missouri, September 13th, 1839. His parents were from Tennessee, and came to Missouri about the year 1833. Andrew came with his parents to Campbell township, this county, when he was about three years of age, and was educated in the common schools. When quite young he began farming, which occupation he has always followed. In 1862 he enlisted in company A, 8th Missouri cavalry, U.S.A., under Col. Geiger. He was at the battles of Chalk Bluff, Prairie Grove, Little Rock, Brownsville and many minor engagements. He was taken prisoner at Prairie Grove, but paroled in a few days. He was mustered out in July, 1865, and returned to his farm, where he has one hundred and sixty acres of land. He was married September 6th, 1860, to Elizabeth Wharton, who was born in Dallas county, Missouri, February 1st, 1843. Their union was blest with six children. Mr. and Mrs. Bodenhamer are members of the M.E. Church South, and in politics Mr. Bodenhamer is a Greenbacker. He is one of Greene's substantial farmers, and a gentleman in whom all have confidence. [Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
B.H. BOONE, (DECEASED).
Mr. Boone was the grandson of that famous pioneer, Daniel Boone. His father, Col. Nathan Boone, was Daniel’s youngest son, and an officer in the regular U.S. army from 1812 until the time of his death, in 1855. His son, B. Howard Boone, was born in St. Charles county, Missouri, March 15, 1814, and was educated in the common schools of that county. He came to Greene county in 1835, and lived here until 1863. He was married in 1840 to Miss Mary E. Stallard, of St. Charles county. Their union was blest with five children, three of whom are still living, viz.: Joseph, Charles and James. Mr. Boone, after leaving Greene county in 1863, was engaged in the hotel business in St. Louis, but shortly after he moved over to Illinois, remaining but a few months, and then returned to St. Charles county, Missouri. He was a Mason in good standing, and helped organize the lodge at Greenfield, Missouri. He died February 7, 1866. His estimable wife survives him, and is now living at Ash Grove with her son, J.D. Boone. J.D. Boone was married in 1867 to Miss A.E. McClure, of St. Charles county. Their marriage has been blest with six children, four of whom are living, viz.: Edna G., Laura E., Mary E. and Joseph D. Mr. Joseph Boone remained in St. Charles county two years and returned to Greene in 1869. He moved to Montgomery county in 1874, where he lived five years, returning to this county in 1879. He and his wife are, at this writing, keeping the popular Grove House at Ash Grove. [Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883); transcribed by S. Gruver]
Is a son of Josiah and Annie (Wright) Brown, both natives of Tennessee, and the father among the early settlers of Polk county, Missouri, to which he emigrated in an early day, and where J.H. Brown was born in 1842. He was educated in the schools of Polk county, and early in life began farming there, continuing till 1882, when he began business with Mr. F.A. Barclay in the drug line at Walnut Grove. They also carry a full line of staple and fancy groceries, and take a leading rank among the business men of that place. In July, 1861, Mr. Brown enlisted in the U.S. service, 6th Mo. Cavalry, and served till July, 1864, participating in a number of hard-fought battles of the civil war, including Pea Ridge and Sugar Creek. He was married October 29, 1864, to Miss Wood, daughter of Isaac Wood, of Polk county. Her mother was Susan Boatwright, and both her parents are dead. Mr. Brown has had a family of seven children, four of whom, three sons and a daughter, still survive. Both Mr. Brown and his wife are members of the Baptist church, and rank high as citizens and church members. [Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883); transcribed by S. Gruver]
DR. JOSEPH BROWN
This gentleman is the son of John D. and Jane (Bray) Brown, and was born in Randolph county, North Carolina, December 8th, 1828. His father was a native of North Carolina, born October 4th, 1804, and died in December, 1864. His mother was also a native of North Carolina, born February 29th, 1808, and is still living in Christian county, Missouri. Joseph came to Greene county, Missouri, with his parents in 1845, and was educated in the common schools of the county, and at Ebenezer. In the winter of 1858-9 he attended the McDowell Medical College at St. Louis. He then returned to this county, and began the practice in Taylor township, where he lived four years, and at Springfield the same length of time. In 1867 he located where he now lives, four miles east of Springfield, and enjoys a large and lucrative practice, besides, having a farm of two hundred and seventy- five acres. Dr. Brown was married July 7th, 1857, to Martha A. McFarland, of this county, born January 30th, 1838. She was the daughter of William and Martha A. (Roberts) McFarland. Dr. Brown and wife have been blest with a family of six children, three boys and three girls. They have lost two children. The doctor is a member of the A.F. and A.M., and is a Democrat in politics. [Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
JOHN J. BROWN, M. D. – Dr. Brown is a son of John and Ellen (nee Henderson) Brown, both of his parents being natives of Virginia. He was born in Rockcastle county, Kentucky, February 5, 1847, and grew up in his native county, receiving his education in St. Mary’s College and the University of Kentucky. Early in life he began the study of medicine. In 1866 and 1867 he attended the medical college at Cincinnati, Ohio, and on leaving there began the practice at Mt. Vernon, near where he was born. In 1875, he entered the medical department of the State University, returning to Mt. Vernon and resuming his old practice after took his degree of M. D. in 1876. He was appointed the same year by Gov. McCrary to serve as official examiner for the fifteenth district, to pass upon applicants who desired to practice medicine before graduating from a chartered college of medicine. For eight years Dr. Brown filled the office of county school commissioner in his native county. He was married December 15, 1867, to Miss Mollie E. Snodgrass, a native of the same county as himself. They have seven children, all living at this writing. In the fall of 1882, Dr. Brown came to Green county, locating at Bois D’Arc. So well-informed and experienced a physician will, doubtless, win for himself that full share of the professional practice which his ability and general fitness so fully merit. [Green County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883). Transcribed by Susan Geist]
JOHN D. BOSSERT
John D. Bossert is a native of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He was born January 23rd, 1839. When eleven years old he enlisted in the U.S. navy, and served thirteen years. During that time he visited South America, England, France, Spain, Africa and China. After leaving the navy he returned to Pennsylvania, locating at Oil City, and there worked at the blacksmith trade. In 1874 he emigrated to Franklin, Missouri, and worked at his trade in the railroad machine shops eighteen months, then removed to North Springfield, and went to work in the machine shops of the St. Louis and San Francisco railway, where he is at present working at his trade. Mr. Bossert has been twice married. His first wife was Miss Lydia A. Dilks, whom he married in 1859. She died in 1874. On August 2nd, 1875, he married Miss Martha L. Foley, of St. James, Missouri, by whom he has one child, William James Bossert, born July 26th, 1876. The subject of our sketch is a member of Springfield Lodge, No. 218, I.O.O.F., of which he is N.G. He also belongs to Wentworth Lodge, No. 113, A.O.U.W., of which he is M.W. [Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
HON. SEMPRONIUS H. BOYD
This gentleman, one of the best known and most talented men of Southwest Missouri, is the son of Marcus and Eliza (Hamilton) Boyd, and was born in Williamson county, Tennessee, May 28th, 1828. His parents came to Missouri in 1840, and his father shortly after took high political rank, representing Greene county several times in the Legislature, being appointed receiver of the land office, at Springfield, and a colonel in the militia during the civil war. He died in 1866. His son, S.H. Boyd, was educated at Springfield, in English and the classics. After completing his education he made a trip to Texas with a train loaded with bacon; sold out the entire outfit, save the negroes whom he refused to sell, and returned with them and the proceeds safely to Springfield. He then took a position as clerk in the store of D. Johnson & Co. In 1847, the firm established a branch store at Forsyth, Missouri, and Mr. Boyd placed in charge, though but nineteen years of age. In 1849 he crossed the great plains, arriving in California in August of that year. He mined in the placers of Yuba, Feather and Moquelnes rivers, taught school at Volcano, Amador county, returning to Springfield in 1855, via Nicaragua and New Orleans. He then studied law under Judge Price; was mayor of Springfield in 1856-7; was the first clerk of the probate and common plea courts of Greene county, and was twice city attorney. In 1861 he was major of Gen. Phelps’ Home Guards; then colonel of a regiment of United States volunteers, and was in several engagements. He was elected to Congress over Gen. Phelps, the opposition candidate, and took his seat in December, 1863, was active in re-organizing the postal service in Southwest Missouri; member of the committee of post-offices and post roads, chairman of the committee of revolutionary claims and pensions. He was circuit judge of the 14th judicial district in 1865-6, which office he resigned to interest himself in the completion of the Southwestern Pacific railroad. He was again elected to Congress, in 1868, as the regular Republican nominee, running largely ahead of his ticket. He took an independent stand in Congress; and for favoring rebel enfranchisement and supporting B. Gratz Brown, he was ostracized by his party. He was not a mere partisan, and, with him, principles were never prostituted to position. He was the Missouri member of the Republican national executive committee from 1864 to 1868. In 1872 he founded the Springfield wagon factory, and resumed the practice of law in 1874. Though born in Tennessee, Col. Boyd had never been back there until 1883, and being greatly pleased with Memphis, will make that city his home. [Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Is a son of Stephen and Phoebe (Garrett) Bowerman, and was born April 14th, 1837, in Sombra, Canada. He was educated at Detroit, Michigan, and there learned the carriage and sign painting trade. At the age of twenty-one he went to Janesville, Wisconsin, and in September, 1861, enlisted in company A, 13th Wisconsin infantry as a private, but was afterward promoted to the first lieutenancy. He served upon the staff of Gen. Rosseau in the topographical department for eleven months, with headquarters at Nashville, Tennessee. At the close of the war he was mustered out there, and went back to Wisconsin. He came to Springfield in February, 1868, and followed his trade until 1878, when he, in partnership with Jess & Weaver, manufactured carriages until 1882, when he sold out, and in partnership with his father-in-law, Asa Root, opened a grocery store at 712 Boonville street. He married Miss Sarah E. Root, of Janesville, Wisconsin. He and his wife are members of the Baptist church, of which he is clerk, deacon and superintendent of Sunday school. Mr. Bowerman has been secretary of the public school board for seven years. His father died in 1864, at Battle Creek, Michigan, and his mother is still living at that place. They had a family of eight children, two girls and six boys, and our subject Milton, one of the six boys, is one of Greene’s best citizens. [Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
BENJAMIN R. BREWER
This gentleman is the son of Fredrick and Sarah (Wright) Brewer, and was born in Polk county, Tennessee, April 2nd, 1852. His parents moved to Arkansas in 1859. When the war began his father enlisted as a volunteer in the Confederate service, and died in 1863. In 1866 his mother moved to Greene county, Missouri. He was educated in the public schools aided by his own industry at home. In 1873 and 1874 he taught school in this county. In 1874 he read law and upon the 25th of March, 1875, was admitted to the bar at Marshfield, before R.W. Fyan, judge. In 1877 was admitted at Mt. Home, Arkansas, and also at Little Rock in U.S. court, upon the 3rd of June, 1879, by Judge Caldwell. He took charge of the Webster County News November 14th, 1881, as editor, and published a vigorous paper for fourteen months, chiefly directed against the then dominant political party of that county. He came to Springfield February 15th, 1883, and is now one of the most promising young attorneys of the city. Mr. Brewer was married March 10th, 1875, to Miss Addie Wisby, at Marshfield. Their union has been blest with two daughters and one son, Gertrude, Clara and Harold. Mr. Brewer is a Mason and I.O.O.F. and a member of the Christian church, and his wife of the Congregationalist. His parents had four sons, Benjamin being the second. His mother died in Webster county in the fall of 1880. [Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
This gentleman is the son of Joseph and Sarah (Medley) Buck, and was born at Hull, Yorkshire, England, October 25th, 1844. In 1850, his parents came to the United States, landing at New York. They soon after came West with an English colony, and settled in Clinton county, Iowa. They lived there two years, and then moved to Dubuque, and then to Dewitt, Iowa. He came to Springfield, Missouri, in May, 1870, and, in the following December, went into the grocery business. The store was burned in 1875, but they soon resumed business. The firm at that time was Morhiser & Co., but in November, 1880, it became Joseph Buck & Co. Mr. Buck was married at Dubuque, Iowa, July 9th, 1868, to Miss Mary L. Morhiser. They have two children, George M. and Mary A. Mr. Buck is a member of the K. of H. and the I.O.O.F. His wife is a member of the Episcopal church. His father was also a native of Hull, England, and died in that country in 1869, while on a visit. His mother died in Iowa. They had five sons and three daughters, Joseph being the sixth child. [Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
This gentleman was born in Cass county, Missouri, October 12, 1843. His father, Jacob Buttram, was a Kentuckian, and came to Cass county, this State, in 1847. His mother, Elizabeth (nee Burnett) Buttram, was born in Virginia, and is still living at this writing. Abram Buttram was educated in Barry county, and followed farming after leaving school till he took the mail contract between Walnut Grove and Springfield in 1880, which he filled up to December, 1882. In October, 1882, he went into the livery business at Ash Grove with Mr. I.J. Kelly, and they are doing a good business. January 29, 1865, Mr. Buttram was married to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Joshua and Rhoda Owen. They have had five children, of whom only two are living at this writing. Mr. Buttram is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, and his wife belongs to the Methodists. During the civil war Mr. Buttram was in government employ at Springfield, driving post teams. [Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883); transcribed by S. Gruver]
BACK -- HOME