Welcome to
Greene County
Missouri


Biographies
" E "

GUSTAVE ECKSTROM
Mr. Eckstrom was born in St. Louis, Missouri, October 12th, 1855. When he was about fourteen years of age he went upon the Missouri Pacific railroad as a brakeman, and worked at it about a year. In 1879 he came on the St. Louis and San Francisco railroad and braked until 1880, when he was promoted conductor, and is now running a train. Mr. Eckstrom was married December 16th, 1880, to Miss Mary Wahl, of Pacific, Missouri. He is a member of Pacific Lodge No. 122, Ancient Order of United Workingmen.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

THOMAS E. EDMUNDSON
Mr. Edmundson is the son of Thomas and Sarah (Roberts) Edmundson, and was born in Greene county, Missouri, January 16, 1851. His parents were natives of Tennessee, and came to this county in 1844. Thomas E. was educated in this county and at Baxter’s Institute, where he completed his education in 1869. He has made farming his occupation, and owns one hundred and sixty acres of land in this township, all of which is in cultivation, well improved. He was married December 19, 1876, to Miss Mary, daughter of William and Eliza (Snow) Freeman. Mrs. Edmundson was born December 4, 1856. They have three children, viz.: Samuel, born October 29, 1877, Mabel, born February 13, 1879 and Olivia, born October 25, 1881. Mrs. Edmundson is a member of the Presbyterian church. Politically Mr. Edmundson is a Democrat, and one of the staunch men of the county.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler


JOHN EGAN
Was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, May 8, 1849. In 1869 he began “firing” on the Pennsylvania Central railroad, continuing four years, when he was given charge of an engine and ran it till 1880. He then came to Missouri and took charge of an engine on the St. L. & S.F. R.R., which engagement he still holds. He was a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, Division 104, of Columbia, Pennsylvania, for six years, from which he took a withdrawal card and joined the Pacific City, Division 83, B. of L.E., and is still a member of the same. January 13, 1872, he married Miss Nettie E. Fairlamb, of Columbia, Pennsylvania. They have had four children – Annie, Maggie and Nellie, who still survive, and Edgar, who died in 1876.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DANIEL H. ELWOOD
Mr. Elwood is a son of Henry and Nancy (Diendorff) Elwood, and was born in Herkimer county, New York, March 12, 1821. He grew to manhood upon the farm, which business he followed until 1853. He then went to Ohio where he was foreman of a force of men upon the Marietta & Cincinnati R.R. for a year. In 1854 he worked upon Illinois Central R.R., and from 1855 to 1865, he was roadmaster of a division and land agent for that road. In 1865 he engaged in the lumber and planing mill business at Decatur, Illinois. In 1870 he went to Michigan, where he engaged extensively in the lumber business. He sold out in 1877 and moved to Butler county, Kansas, and engaged in the hotel business at Augusta. He next bought, fed, and shipped hogs until April, 1882, when he came to North Springfield, where he has charge of the St. L. & S.F. R.R. eating house. Mr. Elwood was married in 1844 to Miss Jennie Jones of Herkimer, New York. She died in 1859. She left three children, two of whom are living, viz.: William H., head salesman in a mercantile house at Decatur, Illinois, and Celia A., wife of B.R. Hampashire, editor of the Decatur Republican. Mr. Elwood was married the second time, in 1865, to Mrs. Ellen E. Litten, of Jacksonville, Illinois. Before the war Mr. Elwood’s father was colonel of the 192nd New York militia, and Daniel was adjutant of the regiment for four years.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

GEORGE SMITH ESCOTT
Mr. Escott is the son of Joseph and Betsy Escott, and was born March 23rd, 1845, in Kent county, Michigan. He was educated in the Grand Rapids high school, and began teaching when he was nineteen years of age. In 1868 he taught a graded school at Big Rapids, Michigan, and in 1870 he came to Springfield, Missouri, and taught a subscription school in North Springfield for seven months, assisted by his wife and sister-in-law, Miss Nellie Snow. From there he went to Houston, Texas county, Missouri, where he taught the Houston public acceptably for five years. He next went to Mountain Grove and taught five years, and from there to West Plains and taught one year. He then accepted the position of principal of the North Springfield public schools, which position he now holds, with three assistant teachers. On the 3rd of July, 1868, he was married to Miss Lettie W., daughter of John and Jerusha Snow, by whom he has had two children, viz.: Nellie and Albert. During his vacations he has written historical sketches of the counties in which he lived, and in 1878 published the Springfield and North Springfield history and directory. Mr. Escott is one of the best educators in this section, and one of the substantial men of the city.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

WP. ELSON
.
Mr. Elson was born in Stark county, Ohio, September 9th, 1837.  He was educated in the common schools and at Mt. Union College at Alliance, Ohio.  He taught school for a time and then embarked in the mercantile business for a number of years.  He moved to Greene county, Missouri, in 1866, where, by strict attention to business, economy and perseverance he has accumulated a magnificent property, owning some five hundred acres of choice lands two miles east of Ash Grove.  Mr. Elson was married in 1875 to Miss Elizabeth C., daughter of S.P. Frame.  Their union has been blest with three children, two boys and one girl.  Mr. Elson’s father was John Elson, and his mother was Miss Osee Wilson, a daughter of Douglas Wilson, of Ohio.  They are still living at Waynesburg, Ohio.  His ancestors were from Virginia, and W.P. Elson’s grandfather, John H. Elson, was a captain in the war of 1812.  Mr. Elson is a thorough-going successful farmer, having been one of the first to introduce into the county the celebrated merino sheep, which breed he successfully rears.
Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883); transcribed by S.Gruver

GEORGE D. EMERY
Mr. Emery is the son of Amasa and Abigail (Dutton) Emery, and was born December 4, 1831, in Cheshire county, New Hampshire. His father is yet living there, and his mother died in 1876. They had seven children, but two of whom are now living, George D. and Alonzo A. George was educated in his native county, and in 1850 went to New York city where he lived about fifteen years in that city and in Brooklyn. He was in the hotel business for about twelve years, and in 1861 had a contract to feed the soldiers of several regiments for three months, when Chester A. Arthur was quartermaster general. September 20, 1870 he came to Springfield, Missouri, and for nine years was of the firm of Emery & Comstock, furniture dealers. In 1880 he was elected marshal of the city of Springfield upon the Democratic ticket and served one year. He is now the proprietor of a general feed store on South street. Mr. Emery was married October 23, 1863, to Miss Maria Van Arsdale, of Brooklyn, N.Y. They have two sons, Alonzo W. and Frank E. Mr. Emery is a member of the Knights of Honor, and Mrs. Emery is a member of the Calvary Presbyterian Church.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

CAPTAIN S.H. EPLEY
This gentleman was born in Columbiana county, Ohio, November 15, 1843, and is a son of George W. and Catherine Epley. When about two years of age his parents moved to Marion, Ohio, where his father died, and he learned the carpenter’s trade. In April, 1861, he enlisted in company K, 4th Ohio infantry, as a private, and served three years with that company. He was promoted to second lieutenant, and after a successful engagement against Colonel Ashby he was promoted to the captaincy of his company, and served with that rank until the war closed. He was in the “Gibraltar Brigade,” and was wounded five times, three times severely, viz.: by a sabre cut in the head at Rappahannock, and left for dead; he next received a severe bayonet thrust while charging a North Carolina brigade who were behind a stone wall at Gettysburg; and was shot in the knee in front of Richmond, and nearly died from lockjaw. After the war he returned to Marion, Ohio, and in the spring of 1866 went to Mansfield, Ohio, but in the fall of the same year he came to St. Louis and followed his trade until 1879. He then came to Springfield and engaged in contracting and building. Captain Epley was married October 26, 1878, to Miss Rebecca, daughter of Enoch and Emily Harris, of St. Louis. He is a member of I.O.O.F. and G.A.R. societies.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

THOMAS J. EPPERSON
This gentleman is the son of Joseph and Jane (Walker) Epperson, and was born in Hawkins county, Tennessee, February 13, 1808. His father died when he was but six years of age, and at the age of thirteen he went to Kentucky and engaged in driving cattle. He remained in that State about nine years, and in November, 1837, came to Greene county, Missouri, and settled about fourteen miles south of Springfield, where he lived until 1875, when he moved into the city and has lived here ever since. Mr. Epperson was married in 1829, in Hawkins county, Tennessee, to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Jacob Wolf. Mr. Epperson began life without a dollar, and now has a sufficient competency to live upon without being actively engaged in business.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DR. JAMES EVANS
Dr. Evans was born in Wayne county, Indiana, June 6th, 1829. He never attended school until he was seventeen years of age, but studied some at home without a teacher. When he began school he bent his whole energy to his work. He soon began teaching and studying medicine at the same time, giving eighteen out of twenty-four hours to his books. He graduated from Rush medical college at Chicago in 1855, and practiced his profession in Lebanon, Indiana, twenty-three years, and keeping a drug store in connection with his practice. He made seven additions to the town of Lebanon during his residence there. In 1871 he came to Missouri and settled in Springfield and engaged in the drug business three years, and since has been dealing in real estate. In 1880 he purchased the farm where he now resides, at Nichols’ Junction. It was known as the Robinson farm, and the dwelling is the finest brick farm house in the county. Dr. Evans now owns seven hundred acres of land in this county, besides property in Indiana. He is now rearing some thoroughbred short horned cattle, and makes a specialty of rearing stock of a high grade. He was married May 3rd, 1855, to Miss Louisa A. Thompson, of Boone county, Indiana. Their union has been blest with four children, viz.: Alpha D., J.B. Breckenridge, E. Ella and Freddie. Dr. Evans is a member of both the Odd Fellows and Masonic societies.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DR. ARTHUR H. EVERSOL
This gentleman is the son of Silas and Sarah (Godman) Eversol, and was born in St. Louis, Mo., September 27, 1849. He was educated in that city and at the military institute near Kirkwood, Mo. He first studied his profession in the office of Dr. P.L. Williams, of Cairo, Ill. He came to Springfield, Mo., in 1873, and studied for some time in the office of Dr. C.F. Wright. He now has a large and lucrative practice. Dr. Eversol was married April 9, 1877, to Miss Minnie, daughter of Mrs. Dr. Augustus Smith, of Springfield. They have one child, a daughter. He and his wife are members of the Calvary Presbyterian church. The doctor’s parents are now living at Commerce, Mo. They had four children, two sons and two daughters. The girls are both dead. His father was a Virginian, and settled in St. Louis in 1829.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

CYRUS M. EVERSOL
Mr. Eversol is the son of E.K. and T.A. (Godman) Eversol, and was born in Cape Girardeau county, Mo., July 11, 1839. He received his education at the St. Louis High School, and then learned the miller’s trade in Scott county, Missouri. In 1861 he enlisted as a private in Company A, 15th Illinois cavalry. He participated in the battles of Shiloh, Fort Henry and Corinth. He was mustered out at Springfield, Ill., September 1, 1864, when he returned to Scott county, Missouri, where he lived some four years. In July, 1868, he came to Springfield, Mo. In 1870 he built the Eagle Mills, on Boonville street, and has carried on that business ever since coming here. The firm is now Eversol & Son. Mr. Eversol was married November 29, 1864, in Scott county, Missouri, to Miss Julia Rhodes. Their union was blest with three children, Felix, Anne and Hattie. He and his wife are members of the Calvary Presbyterian church, and he belongs to the A.O.U.W.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler



Return to

Greene County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.