Welcome to
Greene County
Missouri


Biographies
" G "


JOHN L. GARDNER
Mr. Gardner is the son of John and Letty (Woods) Gardner, and was born in Barren county, Kentucky, May 27, 1815. When he was quite a small boy his parents moved to Carroll county, Tennessee. Shortly after, they came to Greene county, Missouri, and entered the land where the ‘Frisco depot now stands. They lived there two years, and then moved to Springfield, where John L. learned the trade of a wagon and carriage maker, and has followed it ever since. During the war he remained in Springfield, and helped to bury the dead at the battle of Wilson’s Creek. Mr. Gardner was married to Miss Matilda E. Parker, of Kentucky. Their union was blest with four sons and three daughters. His first wife dying, he married, the second time, to Miss Freeman, by whom he had three sons and two daughters, all living. Mr. Gardner’s father was a native of North Carolina. He moved from his native State to Kentucky, from there to Tennessee, thence to Dallas county, Missouri and finally to Greene county.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

WILLIAM C. GARDNER
Mr. Gardner is the son of J.L. and Matilda (Parker) Gardner, and was born in Polk county, Mo., November 11, 1849, and came to Springfield when but a small boy. He was educated in Springfield, at private schools. He is one of seven children, four boys and three girls. His twin brother, James A., died September 23rd, 1882. They had been proprietors of the “Twin Brothers” saloon for five years. William now conducts the business himself.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

WILLIAM B. GAROUTTE 
Mr. Garoutte is the son of James S. and Mary (Bobington) Garoutte, and was born in Washington county, Ohio, May 9, 1820. His grandfather was a French soldier, who settled at Tuckahoe, N. J., after the Revolutionary war was over. France sent some of her best sons to aid us in securing our independence, and many of them staid in America. In 1829 his parents moved to St. Joseph county, Indiana, and in February, 1830, his mother was frozen to death. She was an eminent practitioner in midwifery, and had gone nine miles to see a patient. She was caught in a snow storm, and it is supposed she dismounted to walk so as to keep warm, and her horse got away from her. She was found the next day dead. In 1837 he and his father came to Greene county, Mo., and settled in Pond Creek township. His father died in 1876. William went back to Indiana in 1848, and in 1849 went to California and returned in 1852, and has since resided in Greene county. He was elected justice of the peace when he was twenty-one years of age. In 1856 he was a candidate for the State Senate upon the Benton ticket, but was beaten by Judge Price by seventy-seven votes. In 1859 he was a candidate for Congress, and in 1882, he was a candidate for the Legislature upon the Democratic ticket, and though his district was Republican by three hundred majority, he reduced it to fifty-six. He was a Union man until the war actually came on, and then took the position that the Jackson troops were the law and authority troops. He was offered and refused a brigadier general’s commission. In 1862 cast his fortunes with the Confederacy, and went South with Gen. Price. In the fall of 1862 he returned to Greene county, as provost marshal for the county, but was taken prisoner at his home before the Confederate troops arrived. He was taken to St. Louis, then to Johnson’s Island, and from there to Fort McHenry, and held prisoner two years. Just before the war closed he was exchanged at Demopolis, Alabama, and sent by Gen. Hardee, with dispatches to Gen. Price in Arkansas. He was there when the war closed. He lost about twenty thousand dollars by the war, and has since labored to repair his losses. He owns over seven hundred acres of land. Mr. Garoutte is a Master Mason. He has been married twice, the first time to Miss Amanda, daughter of Royal and Mehitable (Arms) Hazelton, of this county. They were blest with five daughters. Mrs. Garoutte died April 7, 1857, and he was married the second time, October 15, 1857, to Miss Mehitable, daughter of Magruder and Theresa (Hazelton) Tannahill, also of Greene County. They have by this union eight children.
Green County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883). Transcribed by Susan Geist

W. W. GAROUTTE
His name indicates his French extraction. His grandfather came over from France as one of the soldiers who helped us so gallantly in the Revolutionary war. After the close of that war he settled at Tuckahoe, New Jersey, where William, the father of W. W., was born, in 1798. William moved to Ohio, where he was married in 1829 to Elizabeth Dutton. This marriage was blest with ten children, Warren Werter Garoutte being the fifth child. He was born in Washington county, Ohio, July 23, 1839. When he was eight months old his parents moved to Greene county, Missouri, and settled in Pond Creek township, a sparsely settled portion of the county. His father died in 1863, and his mother in 1869. Mr. Garoutte was married in September, 1860, to Miss Martha, daughter of John S. and Mary (Chastaine) Richmond. Her parents were natives of Tennessee, but she was born in Missouri. Their union was blest with ten children, nine of whom are living, William S., John L., Anthony S., Mary E., Susan R., Marcus D., George L., Franklin L. and Lillie M. Mrs. Garoutte died October 19, 1882. She had been a consistent member of the church since eighteen years of age. Mr. Garoutte settled where he now lies in 1866. He owns a farm of two hundred and forty acres, besides one-third interest in another tract of the same size. He has always followed farming and blacksmithing. He is a Royal Arch Mason, and a member of the Baptist Church since 1868.
Green County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883). Transcribed by Susan Geist

WILLIAM S. GARWOOD
Mr. Garwood was born in Strasburg, Pennsylvania, June 1, 1858. January 23, 1877, he went into an office on the “’Frisco” R.R. as messenger boy for the telegraph company for three months, then went to Richland, where he was night operator for eight months. He next spent five months as night operator at Sullivan, after which he returned to North Springfield and was operator for three months in the office of train dispatcher. On August 17, 1879, he was given the office of general baggage agent, which position he holds at this writing. He is an Odd Fellow and belongs to Springfield lodge No. 218. Mr. Garwood was married October 23, 1880, to Miss Lizzie G. Stone, of Springfield. They have one child, a daughter named Willie, born December 12, 1882.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

WILLIAM GEISTER
Mr. Geister was born in Franklin county, Missouri, February 4, 1862. He is a son of Adam and Fredricka Geister, who moved to Springfield, Greene county, Missouri, in 1872, where they lived until 1879, and then moved out upon a farm one mile east of Springfield where they reside at present. In 1875 William went to work in the paint shops of ‘Frisco railway shops where he worked two years. He then worked in the machine shops eighteen months, and then began firing upon an engine on the St. Louis & San Francisco railway, which position he still holds. He is a member of Frisco lodge No. 51, Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen, of which he is managing agent.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

GEAR, JAMES M.
In looking through any city, there is one thing that the beholder cannot help but noticing and that is quantities of brick that are used in its construction and it stands to reason that if such a beholder were his opinion on the subject as to what formed the most important factor in its growth he would reply at once, “brick”.  This material plays a very important part in the building up of any city and therefore the brickyards and companies of any city must be considered as among its chiefest industries.    In Springfield the firm of Gear, Lloyd /& Co. brick manufacturers, stands at the head.  Ephraim Gear the grandfather of James M. Gear, was of scotch-Irish descent and a resident of Wilmington, Del. For many years.  He died in Philadelphia, where he and his wife are buried.  They were the parents of four children: John, Washington, Joseph, and Mary.  John Morton Gear, the eldest child, was born in Wilmington, August 22, 1824, and was given a common school education in his youth.  When young he learned the brick mason’s trade, and after his removal to St. Louis in 1848 at the age of twenty-one years, he engaged in contracting and there erected some of the older buildings, among which was the Ashbrook’s Packing House ,  In 1852 he went to California by way of the Isthmus of panama and was a gold miner in that region for about four years.  At the end of that time he returned to St. Louis and shortly after to Waterloo, Ill., where he became a brick contractor.  In April 1869, he came to Springfield and in the fall of the same year settled here with his family and at once began a contracting business which he followed for many years, becoming the most prominent brick company of Springfield.  He built  the Metropolitan Hotel, the Cotton Factory, Woolen Factory, Fairbank’s Hall, Drury College and nine of the buildings on the west side of the public square, also the annex to the court-house and many of the smaller business houses and residences.   Socially he was both a Mason and an Odd Fellow, and became Knight Templar in the first mentioned organization.  Politically he was a staunch Democrat throughout  life and held the position of Justice of the Peace for one year, but resigned the office on account of ill health.  He and his wife were members of the Southern Methodist Church.  They were married June 19,1849,her maiden name being Munn, a daughter of James and Eliza(Bates) Munn, the former of whom was born in Ohio, of Scotch Parents and became a resident of St. Louis.  He followed the occupations of farming and hotel keeping and in the latter part of his life was a member of the police force of St Louis, and also held the office of Justice of the Peace for some time.  He died in Henry County, Mo.. To Mr. and Mrs. Gear five children were born: James M., Washington J., Sarah V., Addie M., and Joseph C..  Mr. Gear was an honorable, intelligent and hard-working man and accumulated a comfortable property.  He was respected by all and had few , if any, enemies.  James M. Gear, his son was born at waterloo, Monroe county Ill., April11. 1857, and received a good common school education.  He learned the trade of a brick mason and was engaged in contracting with his father until the latter retired from business, after which he engaged in the business in the company with the present firm and they have long had all the work the can properly attend to.  They  built the church of the Immaculate Conception in 1887, the  South Street Christian Church, the Second Congregational Church, the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and the First and Second Ward School houses, the Lincoln and Douglas school hoses, the brick work of the new High School building and the Gulf Railroad shops, the Old Coon Tobacco works, Silby’s  warehouse, five stories high, the Godfrey and Russell block on Booneville Street, the Silby & Reinhardt building on Water Street, the Ellenburg block on the corner of Walnut and Campbell Streets, the Headley block on Booneville Street and many other business buildings.  They were men highly posted in their line of work and can at all times be trusted to put up a substantial and symmetrical building in a short space of time and at reasonable figures.   Socially Mr. Gear is a member of the Knights of Honor and politically is a Democrat.  Although a young man he is the senior member of his firm and stands deservedly high for reliability and skillful workmanship.  This firm is also engaged in the manufacture of brick and have the only steam brick plant in Springfield.  This  plant has a capacity of 3,000,000 bricks per year and can turn out more when run at full capacity.  Mr. Gear is a young man of high character, excellent ability and his  integrity is unimpeachable.    
(Source:  Pictorial & Genealogical Record of Greene County, Missouri, Chicago, Goodspeed Brothers Publishers, 1893. Transcribed by Bud)

JOHN J.A. GIBSON
This gentleman is the oldest son of John and Mary Gibson, and was born in Greene county, Missouri, March 13th, 1855. His parents came from Lincoln county, Tennessee, among the first settlers of this part of the county, and now reside in section 12, Campbell township. John was educated in the common schools of the county, and began farming when quite young, which occupation he yet follows. He has by industry and economy acquired considerable property, owning one hundred and twenty acres of good land. In politics he is a Greenbacker, and is a consistent member of the M.E. church South. He is one of the safe, reliable young men of the county.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

THOMAS H. GIDEON.
Thomas H. Gideon, a member of the Springfield bar, well versed in the knowledge of law and in the work of the courts, was born on a farm in Christian county, Missouri, January 12, 1875, his parents being Thomas J. and Letitia Frances (Williams) Gideon. The father was a distinguished lawyer of Springfield for many years, remaining in active practice to the time of his demise. He was born January 28, 1845, in Christian county, Missouri, upon a farm belonging to his father, William C. Gideon, who was one of the pioneer settlers of that county. In his youthful days he pursued his studies in one of the old-time log schoolhouses common at that period and following the Civil war he attended a private academy in Springfield for two years. Throughout his life he remained a student of his profession and of vital questions and issues of the day.
Thomas J. Gideon was a youth of but seventeen years when, on the 5th of March, 1862, he responded to the call for military duty, enlisting in Company F, Fourteenth Regiment of Missouri State Militia, of which company his father was also a member. Thomas J. Gideon was appointed corporal and participated in the battles of Ozark, Missouri, Talbot Ferry, Arkansas, Turner's Station and Springfield. In the last named engagement a piece of shell struck him, injuring his left hand and wrist. He was also struck by a ball in the head and narrowly escaped death, falling insensible on the battlefield. His father picked him up and carried him to the rear, where he regained consciousness. The ball had struck him above the frontal bone, and thus losing its force, had plowed through the scalp to the back of the head. For two months he remained ill in the hospital and was then discharged on account of his injuries. He was not content, however, with the service that he had thus far rendered his country and in July, 1865, at Springfield, he recruited Company A of the Fifty-first Missouri Infantry. In Christian county, in the spring of 1865, he recruited a company of enrolled militia to exterminate the bushwhackers and horse thieves who then greatly infested the country, Governor Fletcher commissioning him as first lieutenant of that command. The company had no captain and Lieutenant Gideon, therefore, commanded. He was soon released from that service on account of the close of the war. Later he was active in connection with various public interests. In 1866 he was elected clerk of the county and circuit court and ex-officio recorder of Christian county and held the office until 1875. In that year he began reading law under the direction of his brother Judge J. J. Gideon and two years later was admitted to the bar. He then located for practice at Ozark, Missouri, where he remained until 1880, when he removed to Springfield, where he continuously and successfully engaged in practice until his demise.
On the 3d of September, 1868, Thomas J. Gideon was united in marriage to Miss Letitia F. Williams, a daughter of Robert H. and Emeline (Bailey) Wrilliams. Mr. and Mrs. Gideon were well known in Springfield, where he figured prominently in fraternal circles, belonging to New Harmony Lodge, I. O. O. F.; Solomon Lodge, A. F. & A. M.; and Captain John Matthews Post, No. 69, G. A. R. He was ever loyal to the teachings and purposes of all those organizations, and in politics he was a stalwart republican, unflinching in support of his party. To Mr. and Mrs. Thomas J. Gideon were born five children, Mary B., Waldo G., Thomas H., Charles R. and Nellie G.
The second son, who is the subject of this review, attended the public schools of Ozark and of Springfield, Missouri, his parents removing to the latter city in 1880. He passed through consecutive grades as he mastered the branches of learning constituting the curriculum and in 1895 was graduated from the high school. He afterward spent a year as a student at Drury College in Springfield and was graduated on the completion of the law course from the Missouri State University with the class of 1900. He has since taken post-graduate work in law in the National University at Washington, D. C. Following his graduation he was given a position in the census department at Washington, D. C., where he remained for nearly two years. He then went to Bristow, Oklahoma, where he continued for about a year, after which he returned to Springfield and entered the law office of his father, the late Thomas J. Gideon, and his brother, W. G. Gideon, with whom he was associated until the father's death. He and his brother have since been in practice and are now at the head of a clientage that connects them with much important litigation heard in the courts of the district. They display pronounced ability in solving intricate and involved legal problems and in their application of legal principles are seldom, if ever, at fault. Mr. Gideon of this review has just been elected judge of the probate court of Greene county, Missouri. He is likewise known in Springfield as a director of the Queen City Bank.
On the I4th of August, 1901, in Joplin, Missouri, Mr. Gideon was united in marriage to Miss Delia Stowe, and they are parents of three children, Vivian May, Thomas J. and Francis Marion. Mr. and Mrs. Gideon are members of the Christian church and its teachings are an influencing factor in their lives.
Mr. Gideon holds membership with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. His political allegiance is given to the republican party and he is recognized as one of its' local leaders. He is now chairman of the republican county central committee of Greene county and he is serving for the third term as a member of the city council of Springfield. The record which he has made in office marks him as a most public-spirited citizen and one whose devotion to the general good is above question.
(Source: Missouri The Center State 1821-1915, Vol. III, by Walter B. Stevens, Publ. 1915.)

THOMAS J. GIDEON
Mr. Gideon is the son of William C. and Malinda (Byrd) Gideon, and was born in Greene county, near Ozark, Mo., January 28, 1845. He was educated at private schools at Springfield. In 1861 he was in Capt. Jesse Gallaway’s company of Home Guards for about two months, and upon the 7th of March, 1862, enlisted in Company F, 14th Missouri cavalry, He was wounded January 8, 1863, in the Marmaduke attack upon Springfield, and discharged March 7, 1863. In November, 1866, he was elected county and circuit clerk of Christian county, and served two terms. He studied law in the office of his brother, Hon. James J. Gideon, at Ozark, and was admitted to the bar by Judge Geiger in 1877. In the fall of 1880 he removed to Springfield, Mo., where he enjoys a good practice. Mr. Gideon was married to Miss L.F. Williams, of Ozark, Mo. They have been blest with three sons and two daughters. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. and A.F. and A.M. His father was a native of North Carolina, but was taken to Hawkins county, Tennessee, when a child. He came to Greene county, Missouri, in 1836, and settled near Ozark. In the late war he enlisted in company F, 14th Mo. Cavalry, and then in company I, 8th Mo. State militia. He was killed December 17, 1863, near Highlandville, Christian county, by bushwhackers. He was out recruiting for Rabb’s battery. His wife is still living upon the farm in Christian county. They had seven sons and one daughter.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

THOMAS D. GLOVER.
Mr. Glover is the son of Samuel and Ellen (Metzger) Glover, and was born in Vermillion county, Indiana September 8, 1831.  His father was born April 8, 1802, in Ohio, and died December 25, 1872.  His mother was born in Pennsylvania, June 21, 1803, and is now living at Perryville, Indiana.  Thomas D. was educated in the common schools of his native county, and at an early age commenced the occupation of farming, which he has followed to the present time.  He came to Greene county, Missouri, in October, 1866, and purchased the farm upon which he now resides, one mile and a half south of Ash Grove.  He has by strict frugality, industry, and perseverance, made a splendid farm, and is well fixed to enjoy the fruits of his labor, and is one of the best farmers in the county.  Mr. glover was married February 29, 156, to Miss Indiana, daughter of Jonas and Mary (Craig) Metzger.  They have had ten children, of whom only two, Eliza and Elias, are living.
Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883); transcribed by S.Gruver

JOHN S. GOTT
Mr. Gott is the son of John D. and Gracie Gott, and was born in Shelby county, Kentucky, January 26th, 1816. He spent his early life in Warren county, Kentucky, and came to Greene county, Missouri, in December, 1845, and settled in Springfield. He lived there about twenty-one years, and then moved out upon the farm where he resides. He has a fine farm of two hundred acres. Mr. Gott has been twice married, the first time to Miss Polly Davis in May, 1837. She died in March, 1852, leaving one daughter, Frances A., now Mrs. Robert Miles. He married the second time, August 3rd, 1854, Henrietta McKee, a native of Tennessee, who came to this country in 1851. They have five children living, viz.: Sarah C., now Mrs. Frakes, John D., Anthony W., A.L. and Mabel H. Mr. and Mrs. Gott are exemplary members of the Methodist church.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

RICHARD S. GOTT
Mr. Gott was born June 7th, 1806, in Shelby county, Kentucky, and spent his early life in his native State. At the age of seventeen he learned the carpenter’s trade and followed it the greater part of his life. He came to Springfield, Missouri in the fall of 1842, where he followed his trade for twenty-seven years altogether. In 1851 he took his family to Oregon, and remained there two years and returned to Missouri. In 1854 he crossed the plains to California with a drove of three hundred and thirty head of cattle, and returned the same fall, since which he has dealt in stock more or less. In 1872 he moved out upon the farm where he now lives. Mr. Gott joined the Methodist church at Bowling Green, Kentucky, in 1828, and has ever since been an active member. He was married March 12th, 1824, to Nancy H. McChesney, of Nashville, Tennessee. Their union has been blest with four children yet living, viz.: Frances, now Mrs. Gay, Samuel J., William H. and James W. The latter is still living at home, and deals extensively in stock, particularly cattle.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

BENJAMIN J. GOTT
Mr. Gott is a son of Joseph and Nancy C. Gott, and was born June 15th, 1843, in Arkansas. His parents emigrated to Greene county, Missouri, in 1845. Here Benjamin grew to manhood and followed farming. Upon the 18th of May, 1862, he enlisted in company A, 8th Missouri cavalry, and served until the close of the war, participating in all the battles into which his regiment was called. Mr. Gott was married Nov. 16th, 1865, to Amanda C. McCaslin, a native of Tennessee. Their union has been blest with five children, viz.: Edwin W., Fannie J., Ida B., Hattie and Charlie. Mr. Gott and wife are members of the Methodist church, of Fairview class. He owns a good farm and raises considerable stock, and for the last seven years has been in the nursery business.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

JAMES G. GRANTHAM.
This gentleman was born in Washington county Indiana, February 23, 1828.  His father was Silas Grantham, a native of North Carolina, and his mother was a Miss Nicholson.  They removed to Illinois about the year 1835, where they lived a year and then removed to Montgomery county, Indiana, and lived there until James was about twelve years of age, and then emigrated to Missouri.  James G. was educated in the common schools of Indiana and in Greene county, Missouri.  He has followed the occupation of farming all his life, except a short time spent in blacksmithing.  When the “gold fever” broke out in 1850, Mr. Grantham, with several of his neighbors, went to California and spent four years in mining with varying success.  He returned to Dade county, Missouri, in 1854, and bought land upon which he lived until 1860, when he moved to Greene county, and engaged in farming.  He enlisted in the Home Guards at Springfield.  He went with them to Rolla and remained there until just before the battle of Pea Ridge, where he received two severe wounds, which came near rendering him totally disable.  He was then mustered out and returned to Greene where he has since lived.  He has a fine farm of three hundred and twenty-one acres of land in this part of the county.  Mr. Grantham was married November 18th, 1849, to Miss C. Robinson.  Their union has been blest with two children Sarah, born November 22d, 1854; and James W., born April 14th, 1858.  Mrs. Grantham is a member of the Baptist church.
Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883); transcribed by S.Gruve

ROBERT H. GREEN
Born and reared on the frontier, and making his preparation for the battle of his life amid its incidents of thrilling interest, wherein often every day was fraught with danger, all time was laden with toil, and the lot of man one of hardship and privation, Robert H. Green grew to manhood in an environment well adapted to produce courage and self-reliance in spirit, strength and suppleness of body, and self-knowledge of the most valuable kind.  His opportunities for education were found mainly in the rugged school of experience, and his knowledge of men in boyhood and youth was gained almost wholly from contact with the hardy and resourceful pioneers.  He was born on a farm near Springfield, Missouri, on March 27, 1855, and even in his boyhood had contact with the stirring activities of our progressive colonization which found expression in his section in the border wars over the question of slavery.  He remained with his parents until he reached the age of twenty, bearing a cheerful and serviceable part in the labors of the farm, and in 1875 set out for himself in a new country, as they had done in their early lives.  Coming to Colorado then, he passed a year in various occupations at Denver.  In 1876 he rented a ranch on Plumb creek, and during the next five years he himself devoted to its improvement and cultivation.  In 1881 he returned to Missouri, but not finding conditions to is liking, and making no financial headway by his really vigorous efforts, he once more became a resident of Colorado, leasing a ranch in Douglas county on which he lived until 1885.  He then moved to Routt county and took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres eight miles east of Craig, which he sold after improving it.  In 1894 he purchased another, a part of which is his present home.  His purchase was a quarter-section, but he has sold all except forty acres, enough to suitable employ his energies in the ranching and cattle business which he conducts on it, raising good crops of hay, grain and vegetables, and numbers of high grade cattle, the latter being his main source of revenue.  He has taken an active part in the public affairs of his county and grown to prominence and influence among its people.  Earnestly supporting the Republican party in political matters, he is regarded by the members of the organization as wise in counsel and vigorous and serviceable in action, and as been chosen by them to official station of prominence and responsibility.  He was elected county commissioner in 1900 and for many years has served as justice of the peace, and also as school director.  He was married on February 11, 1875, to Miss Eleanora Hays, who was born in Missouri.  Of their seven children a daughter named Laura died in infancy, and Irwin E., Wesley, Willis, Robert, Eleanora and Alice are living.   Mr. Green is the son of Louis and Nancy Green, natives of Tennessee and early immigrants to Missouri.  In early life the father was a farmer, but he is now engaged in the Christian ministry in the Baptist church.  The mother died in 1898.  Nine children were born to them, of whom are living, Frank, James, Benjamin, William, Ida and Robert H.
(Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Richard Ramos)

JAMES K. GRAY – Mr. Gray is the son of John and Sallie (Whinrey) gray, and was born in Greene county, Tennessee, December 12, 1827. His parents were natives of that State, and his maternal grandfather was a soldier in the war of 1812. James K. grew to manhood upon the farm in his native State, and has always followed farming. He moved to Greene county, Missouri, in 1850, and in 1858 he came to the place where he now resides. During the war he served for some time in Captain Redferan’s company of militia. He owns a well improved farm of one hundred and sixty acres. Mr. Gray was married March 17, 1853, to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of James and Jane Johnson, of this county. By this union they had three children, one of whom, Sarah J., is still living. Mrs. Gray died November 16, 1858, and upon the 11th of August, 1859, he was married the second time to Miss Nancy J., daughter of Edward and Elizabeth West, also of this county. Her parents were among the pioneers of this county, and were natives of Tennessee. Her grandfather was a soldier in the war of 1812. Their marriage has been blessed with seven children, John E., Julia A., deceased, Elizabeth, James H., Noel, George W., and Louisa C. Mr. Gray has been a member of the Baptist church twenty-five years.
Green County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883). Transcribed by Susan Geist

JUDGE WASHINGTON F. GEIGER
This gentleman, the present judge of the twenty-first judicial district of Missouri, was born in Columbiana county, Ohio, in June, 1836. His family ancestors on the paternal side came from Germany, and settled in Pennsylvania at an early date. His grandfather served in the Revolutionary war, and his father, Henry Geiger, was a soldier in the war of 1812, and was afterward a thrifty farmer – living in his native State until 1834, when he removed to the State of Ohio, where he died in 1860. He was married in 1816, to Julian Ruebush, whose family were natives of Virginia. Washington F. Geiger received an English and classical education in Urbana, Ohio. He began the study of law in 1853, teaching school at the same time. He afterward continued his studies in the law office of his brother, in Urbana – was admitted to the bar in 1858, in Springfield, Ohio – practiced in Urbana one year, and removed to Steelville, Crawford county, Missouri, in 1859, where he practiced his profession until the outbreak of the civil war. He then organized a company of infantry, which with others was organized into the Phelps Regiment, United States volunteers. Of this regiment he was commissioned major, and on the second day of that hard fought battle of Pea Ridge, was in command of the regiment, Col. Phelps being in command of the brigade. In this engagement the Phelps regiment suffered terribly, more than one-half of the officers and enlisted men being either killed or wounded, Major Geiger having his horse killed under him by a cannon shot. In 1862, he organized at Springfield, the 8th Missouri Cavalry, United States volunteers, of which he was commissioned colonel, in June of that year. After the first six months he was put in command of the second brigade of the Army of the Frontier, and subsequently, for four months commanded the 3rd division of the 7th army corps. Thence to the close of the war he commanded the 2nd brigade, cavalry division, 7th army corps. Col. Geiger participated in the battles of Prairie Grove, Clarendon, Brownsville, Little Rock, Bayou Metre, Prairie Long, also a number of minor actions and skirmishes. He retired from the army at the close of the war, having given four years of honorable service to his country, and leaving behind him a record without a stain. In September, 1865, he was married to Henrietta C., daughter of Almaren Bodge, Esq., of Portland, Maine, and located in Springfield, and at once resumed the practice of his profession. In 1868 he was elected circuit attorney of the 14th judicial circuit. In 1869 he was elected judge of the 21st judicial circuit, which was formed from parts of the 13th and 14th circuits. At the expiration of his first term, in 1874, he was re-elected, and again in 1880, at present serving his third term, he being the only judge who has presided over the courts of the 21st judicial circuit. As a practitioner Judge Geiger was regarded as a safe counsellor, and skillful in the management of his causes. Upon the bench – added to his legal attainments, his manner of conducting proceedings, dispensing even-handed justice without fear or favor, has won for him the esteem and confidence of the entire bar in this circuit. Politically he is a Republican.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

BENJAMIN GRIST
Mr. Grist was born in Bradford county, Pennsylvania, July 12th, 1833. In 1850 he went to LaSalle county, Illinois, where he was engaged for some years in the nursery business. When he was twenty-two years of age he began railroading. His first work was to pump water with a hand pump on the Illinois Central at Wenona, and then he began braking. In 1855 and 1856 he attended school at Farm Ridge, Ill. He then returned to the Illinois Central and began braking, which he carried on one summer, and was then appointed yardmaster at Amboy, Ill. He held that position a year, and then returned to Wenona and was elected tax collector for a year. In 1861 he moved to Livingston county, Ill., where he farmed two years and then moved to Montgomery county, Ill., and farmed there two years. In 1865 he moved to Jefferson City, Missouri, and began braking upon the Missouri Pacific, and was promoted to conductor in 1866. He ran on that road as conductor until 1869, when he went to the Iron Mountain railroad as conductor, where he remained eight months. He came upon the ‘Frisco road in December, 1869, and ran the first mixed train into North Springfield in May, 1870, and was promoted passenger conductor in April, 1871, and is now. Mr. Grist is a member of the Gate of the Temple, Lodge No. 422, A.F. and A.M., of which he was worshipful master in 1876-7. He is also a member of the Royal Arch Chapter, No. 15 and St. John’s Commandery, No. 20. Mr. Grist was married October 6th, 1856, to Amanda Williams, of Tonica, Illinois. They have two children, Maud F. and Susie E. Mr. Grist is president of the school board of North Springfield.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

JOSEPH GOTT
Mr. Gott is the son of John S. and Grace (Stubbins) Gott, and was born in Shelby county, Kentucky, August 24, 1812. His father died when he was about ten years old, and he stayed upon the farm until he was twenty years of age. In 1832 he went to Bowling Green, Ky. and learned the carpenter’s trade. He was married upon the 13th of October, 1833, to Miss Nancy C., daughter of John McKee, of Rutherford county, Tennessee. Their union was blest with four children, three girls and one boy. The first born died in infancy, and those living are Margaret M., Sarah J. and Benjamin J. Soon after his marriage, Mr. Gott moved to Warren county, Kentucky, and farmed until 1842, and then emigrated to the Red river country, Arkansas, and located in Pike county, for a short time, and then moved to Hempstead county. In October, 1845, they came to Greene county, Missouri, and settled in Springfield, in a log house where the Southern Hotel now stands. Mr. Gott then worked at his trade for about eight years, and helped to build some of the first good houses in the city. He and his son own the farm upon which are the famous Pacific springs, three miles north of Springfield. He was constable of Campbell township in 1856, and in the fall of 1862 he was employed by the government as general forage master. In 1867 he was city assessor, which position he filled with credit to himself, and his books were always reliable. He and his wife are members of the Methodist church, and he is a Mason of the best standing. His father died in 1822, and his mother 1846. They had seven children, five sons and two daughters, only three of whom are now living, viz.: Rowland S., John S. and our subject, Joseph.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

CONRAD GOTTFRIED
Mr. Gottfried is the son of Sebastian and Catherine (Dillon) Gottfried, and was born December 2nd, 1826, in Prussia, Germany. At the age of thirteen he commenced to learn the cabinet-maker’s trade, and, at the age of twenty-one, he emigrated to America, landing at New York November 13th, 1847. He lived there about twelve years, and then went to Columbus, Indiana, where he remained only one year. In 1859, he came to Springfield, Missouri, where he has since resided. He worked at his trade for a year and a half and then embarked in business for himself, opening a furniture store on Boonville street, where he kept for about eighteen years. He then moved to his present location on St. Louis Street, where he carries a magnificent stock of furniture. He was married August 24th, 1851, to Miss Eva E. Shelhurst, of New York city, They were blessed with eight children, all of whom are living, viz.: Annie, Charles, book-keeper and salesman for his father; Fernando, upholsterer of St. Louis; William, clerks for his father; Henry, book-keeper in St. Louis; Eliza, Albert and Emma. During the war, Mr. Gottfried was a member of the Home Guards, and a member of Phelps’ regiment, and participated in the battle of Pea Ridge. His father died in 1828, and his mother in 1838. They had four children, three girls and our subject, Conrad.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DANIEL GRAY
Mr. Gray is the son of Robert and Mary Gray, and was born April 18th, 1806, in Christian county, Kentucky. He was educated in the common schools of his county, and at the age of twenty-one, went to Logan county, Kentucky, and worked at the carpenter’s trade until the fall of 1831, when he came to Greene county, Missouri, and settled one mile south of the James river. From there he went to Finley creek and lived six years, and then returned to James river, where he, in partnership with his brother-in-law, R.M. Langston, ran a saw mill for a year, sawing the lumber with which the first court-house of the county was built. He was the second assessor of the county, viz.: in 1835 and 1836. He moved to Cedar county, Missouri, in 1839, and came back to Greene in 1847. He next crossed the great plains to California, and returned tin 1851. Mr. Gray was married June 4th, 1829, to Miss Elizabeth Gallion, by whom he had four boys and one girl. His first wife died April 2nd, 1848, and is buried on the old Langston farm. He married October 13th, 1853, Elizabeth Crumpley, and they are blessed with four boys and one girl. Mr. Gray is the tenth child of a family of twelve children, and the only one living. He is remarkably well preserved, enjoying good health and a fine memory.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

JACOB GUBLER
Mr. Gubler is the son of Goachin and Varenna Gubler, and was born in Canton Thurgau, Switzerland, December 25th, 1842. He was educated in the common schools of his native country, and at an early age learned the blacksmith’s trade. He emigrated to America in April, 1867, and located in Macon county, Illinois, where he lived until July, 1869. He then removed to Greene county, Missouri, and located at Springfield, where he worked at his trade until January 1st, 1871, when he moved out to where he now lives, four miles east of Springfield, where he owns a farm and carries on blacksmithing. Mr. Gubler is one of the safe, reliable men of the county, has made many friends here in the new world. He was married March 3rd, 1867, to Laugacher Ellis, daughter of Jacob and Graff Ellis. They had one child, born July 27th, 1868, and died September 27th, 1869. Mr. Gubler is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and he and wife are members of the Lutheran church.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

THOMAS M. GURLEY
This gentleman was born in Alabama, January 20, 1841. When he was four years of age he came with his parents to Greene county, Missouri, and began farming for himself, when nineteen years of age. He was married October 10, 1858, to Miss Mary A. McCurdy, by whom he had two children, a son and daughter, the daughter marrying at the age of thirteen. Mr. Gurley’s first wife died September 27, 1863, aged twenty-two years. He was married the second time April 11, 1868, to Miss Mary A. McKee. This union has been blest with seven children, six of whom are still living, the last two being twin boys. He lost all his property during the war, and when the war ceased he found himself in possession of one yearling calf. So he had to begin at the bottom of the hill, and now seems to have made rapid strides toward a competency, for he owns one hundred and twenty acres of fine land, four and one-half miles from Springfield upon the Bolivar road. Mr. Gurley being yet a young man is what few men reach at his age, and that is the grandfather of five children. Mr. Gurley’s father died in Arkansas on his way to this county, leaving a widow and nine children, Thomas M. being the seventh. The mother braved all the dangers and obstacles of pioneer life and reared six of the children to manhood and womanhood, and is still living enjoying the fruits of a well-spent life.
Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler



Return to

Greene County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.