a school boy
of Springfield, MO., carried a stick of dynamite
in his pocket with other toys and it exploded in
school. He was fatally injured.
Chateaugay Journal, (New York) Oct. 28, 1897-
Springfield - The Wabash Cannon Ball
derailed and the engineer fatally
Engineer W. H. Bingham, of
Springfield, was at the throttle of the locomotive
drawing the west-bound Wabash Cannon Ball
passenger train on its run on Thursday
night. Early yesterday morning,
when the train was some sixteen miles west of
Hannibal, the locomotive struck a horse, the force
of the shock throwing the locomotive off the track
and derailing the train. The fireman, Frank Majer,
jumped and saved his life. Bingham went down with
his engine and was fatally injured, dying three
hours later. He was a son of Cook Bingham,
of the Bingham House, Springfield (himself known
to every railroader in this part of the country),
and was thirty years of age. He leaves a wife. The
remains were taken to Springfield last
Bingham alternated run between
Springfield and Quincy and Springfield and
Moberly. As a mark of the respect in which he was
held-there is no more popular man on the road then
he was-the Wabash locomotives have been
(Source: The Quincy Daily
Herald, Feb. 1, 1890. Submitted by Debbie
Last Saturday night about 9
o'clock a fire broke out in the building opposite
the Methodist Church; occupied as a bakery by Mr.
Cornelius and upstairs as a paint shop by Mr.
Leake. The citizens were promptly on the
ground and some of them worked manfully to put out
the fire, which was finally accomplished, with
about $100 damage to the building. Mr.
Cornelius loss was about $200, caused partly by
fire and the balance by breakage in removing his
stock and fixtures. The fire caught from the
oven in the cellar.
The Hook and Ladder
Company, from having to break down the door of the
stable in which there truck is kept and removing
three or four buggys, were not on hand in time to
do anything, but finish up the work of
extinguishing the fire. The Council should
at once make an appropriation for building a house
in which to deep this apparathis.
Hook and Ladder Company came up to the fire, a
crowd of those drones who go to a fire and stand
around and criticise the acts of those who do
work, groand at them, and thus displayed the
spirit which animated them. neither to work or
encourage anybody else to do so. Their
houses may catch fire somet time and nobody could
blame the Hookies, if they should follow this
noble (?) example.
Leader, May 9, 1867
Jim Fry had his arm
hurt, Saturday by a fall, but it is not real
serious, just enough to hurt real bad.
Walnut Grove Tribune, Walnut Grove, MO., Jan. 7,
From Hurts in Wreck
Mrs. Tine Gipsom, aged 83
years, of Halltown, Mo., died at Charlotte Murray
Hospital at Eureka, Wednesday evening, the result
of injuries received in an automobile accident on
Highway 54 west of Eureka last Saturday night. The
body was sent to Ashgrove, Mo., where funeral
service and burial will be held.
and her son, Elgin Choate, were on their way to
Lincoln at the time of the accident. According to
Chaote, who was driving the machine, the accident
occurred when he was blinded by bright lights from
a passing car. The Ford coupe in which they were
riding was nearly demolished, when it struck the
ditch and turned over. Choate escaped with minor
bruises and cuts.
(Source: El Dorado Times,
Friday, July 11, 1930. Submitted by Peggy
Last Saturday afternoon as Mr.
Hays and Mr. Cowan were riding out St. Louis
Street, a rain coming on, they went to raise the
top on their buggy, and the horse became
frightened, commenced to kick, and finally to run,
throwing both gentlemen out, injuring Mr. Cowan,
in the face and side. He is an old gentleman
and when we last saw him was suffering severely
and thought some of his ribs were broken.
How he escaped without being killed, is a miracle
to us, being at one time down on the ground, right
under the horses feet. The horse turned into
Jefferson street, where the buggy overturning, he
was stopped, it was pretty badly smashed
Source: Springfield Leader, Springfield,
MO, May 9, 1867
Springfield, Monday the house of George Kennamore
was burned to the ground. Kennamore and his 15
year old son were unable to escape. Their charred
remains were found next day. The fire was started
by an incendiary.
County, IL ) Daily Herald, April 12, 1888)