Welcome to
Grundy County
Missouri

Biographies
" C "

J. E. CARTER:
John E. Carter was born near Lafayette, Tippecanoe county, Indiana, December,. 31st, 1836. He grew up in the Hoosier State, and learned the trade of blacksmithing. In 1854 the family migrated to Missouri and settled in Trenton, where the subject of this sketch began business on his own resources by engaging in blacksmithing, in which he continued until 1863, excepting the time he served as captain in the Missouri State militia, in 1862.
In the latter part of 1863 he launched his bark upon the journalistic sea by purchasing the Grand River Republican, which he edited and published only a short time, then sold out and returned to his business of blacksmithing to which he added wagon and carriage making, carrying on the business until 1879, when he accepted a position as traveling salesman for Semley Bro., of Quincy, Illinois.
With this firm he remained only a short time, then returned to Trenton and in 1880 was elected treasurer of Grundy county, which position he is at present acceptably filling. In May of the year last named he purchased an interest in the Trenton Weekly Star, and was elected editor of that paper by the stockholders. Mr. Carter continued to edit the Star until July 2Sth, 1881, when he retired, having won during his occupancy of the chair editorial a wide reputation as a bright and popular writer. After retiring from the newspaper business, he once more began work at his trade of blacksmithing and carriage making, in which he is still engaged.
Mr. Carter was united in marriage to Miss Mary J. Wethered, of Alpha, Missouri, on the 30th of January, 1860. By this union they have five children; namely, Minnie M., Elizabeth A., Luther D., Samuel W. and Martha C. Mr. and Mrs. Carter have been members of the Christian Church of Trenton for nineteen years.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack 

ISAAC COLES, M. D.:
Isaac Coles was born on a farm near Deerfield, Portage county, Ohio October 1st, 1819. His father was of New Jersey birth and his mother was a native of Massachusetts. When Isaac was six months old his father removed to Pennsylvania, and settled upon a farm he had traded for on Scrubgrass Creek, in Venango County, fifteen miles from Franklin, the county seat. Here little Isaac, when old enough, attended his first school, trudging along for a mile and a half through the unbroken forest to the temple of learning, which consisted of a rude log school-house with bench seats, the backs of which was the invigorating atmosphere which whistled through the cracks of the structure. The teacher was supported by subscriptions from the patrons, but these sums were never large enough to enable him to acquire fabulous wealth by his labors. Isaac attended this school until the spring of 1832, when his father sold the farm and removed to the western part of Mercer County, in the same State, and they lived upon a farm bordering upon the Shenango River, for one year.
From here the family removed to Hartford, Trumbull county, Ohio, where Isaac attended the district schools a short time and then went to live with the family of Mr. Seth Hayes, at Burgh Hill, in the same county, working during the summer and in the winter attending the select school at Burgh Hill. When fifteen years old he entered the academy at Farmington, in Trumbull County, and the winter he was sixteen taught school at Brookfield. From this time on he continued to teach in winter and study in summer for some six years, when in the spring of 1838 he entered the office of Dr. Joseph Truesdale, of Poland, Mahoning County, Ohio, and began the study of medicine. The following summer he taught three months in Poland, and the next winter conducted a select school in Bourbon county, Kentucky, returning to Dr. Truesdale's office the ensuing spring. The winter of 1840 found him teaching in Rossville, Butler County, Ohio, and employing his leisure moments perusing medical works borrowed from a neighboring physician. He presided over the school at New Harmony, Indiana, the winter of 1841, and the following spring returned to Dr. Truesdale's office, where he remained until the school season and then went to Brookfield, Ohio, thus teaching his last school at the same place he first officiated. The summer of 1842 he read medicine with and assisted Dr. Joseph Cowden, of Lowell, Ohio, and the next fall attended to the practice of Dr. Wood, of Pulaski, Mercer County, Pennsylvania, during the doctor's absence. He attended the sessions of 1843 and 1844 of the Willoughby Medical College, and in the spring of the latter year began practice at Milton, in Trumbull county, Ohio, removing the next year to Palmyra, Portage county, in the same State, where he practiced his profession until August, 1860, and then located at Pilot Knob, Iron county, Missouri, practicing there up to the latter part of 1862, when owing to troubles growing out of the civil war he returned to the land of the Buckeye and settled in Shalersville, Portage County.
While living upon his farm in Portage County, in 1864, Dr. Coles entered the army as a volunteer surgeon, and was immediately sent to the front to attend upon the wounded in Rosecrans's army at Chattanooga, Tennessee. He attended the course of lectures of 1866-67 of the Charity Hospital Medical School, at Cleveland, Ohio, from which institution he graduated. In the spring of 1867 Dr. Coles retraced his steps to Missouri and located in Trenton, where he has since resided and secured a large and extensive practice in the various branches of his profession.
Shortly after his arrival in Trenton he was associated with Dr. Wm. R. Berry, until that gentleman's removal to Macon City. Dr. Coles is a frequent contributor to the press, and in 1876 composed and read the centennial poem at the grand fourth of July celebration of that year. He still holds the position of examining surgeon of Grundy county, having been appointed in 1867. He has served two terms in the city council, and for four years was director of the public schools of Trenton and was also treasurer when the high school was erected. Dr. Coles cast his first vote for Martin Van Buren in 1840, and remained a member of the Democratic party up to the time of the repeal of the Missouri Compromise and the Kansas-Nebraska agitation, when he entered and assisted in the organization of the Republican party, voting for Fremont in 1856 and Garfield in 1880.
Dr. Coles was united in marriage in Shalersville, Portage county, Ohio, August 1st, 1847, to Miss Elizabeth Viets, daughter of Chauncey and Clarissa Viets. The issue of this-union was two children: Vietta, now Mrs. H. H. Lord; and Fiat—both of Ohio birth. Dr. Coles's father died in 1841 and his mother in 1847.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack   

LUTHER COLLIER:
The present mayor of Trenton, was born in the town of Fayette, Howard county, Missouri, June 19,1842. His father, William Collier, was the contractor and builder of the Grundy county court-house, at Trenton, and was in Trenton at the time of his son's birth, making arrangements for the removal of his family to that place. In April, 1843, the family took up their residence in Trenton, where the subject of this sketch was reared, receiving an education in the common schools and high school of Trenton. This latter institution was at that time under the charge of Prof. Joseph Ficklin, now professor of mathematics in the State University. Mr. Collier graduated in the fall of 1859, and in 1860 became assistant instructor at the high school under Prof. W. D. Stewart, principal, and continued until May, 1861.
In the summer of the same year he opened a select school in Trenton, and taught one month, when he gave it up to a young lady, and enlisted in the Missouri State militia for six months. He was mustered out in March, 1862, and resumed teaching in Trenton, but after a three months' term, again enlisted in the service of his country, this time in company B, of the Twenty-Third regiment of Missouri volunteer infantry. He was successively promoted fifth sergeant, orderly sergeant and captain, but before receiving his commission as captain of company A, of the Twenty-Third, he was detailed as acting adjutant of the regiment, and while in discharge of his duties was cut off from mail facilities, and so failed to get his commission until mustered out of the service in Washington City, in June, 1865. Adjutant Collier was an active participant in the battle of Peach Tree Creek, Georgia, the siege of Atlanta, and battle of Jonesborough, Georgia, the fight at Bentonville, North Carolina, besides a number of others, and accompanied General W. T. Sherman in his famous march from Atlanta to the sea.
Returning to Trenton after his honorable discharge from service, he accepted a clerkship in a store, which he held but a short time when he became assistant deputy in the county clerk's office, continuing until 1868. He then began the study of law in the office of Shanklin, Austin & Herrick. February, 1870, he was admitted to the bar, and in 1871 opened an office in Trenton and began the practice of law. With the exception of the winters of 1871 and 1872, when he was docket clerk of the House of Representatives, at Jefferson City, he has continued uninterruptedly in the practice of his profession. He has held several offices of trust at the hands of the people, having been elected clerk of the school-board for seven years in succession, city attorney of Trenton for six years, city clerk from 1869 to 1880, when he was elected mayor, which office he now holds.
Mr. Collier has been twice married. The first time to Miss Martha B. Carter, of Trenton, who was taken from him by death, June 16, 1878. By this union his fireside was blessed with five interesting children, named, respectively, Annie D., Oscar L., Kate, Jewett and Luther.
His second wife, Miss Fannie Browner, of Clinton county, became Mrs. Luther Collier, October 29, 1879. They have one child, Leland H. Mr. and Mrs. Collier are members of the Christian Church of Trenton, of which church the first Mrs. Collier was also a devout member.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack 

R. A. COLLIER:
Robert A. Collier was born in Fayette, Missouri, March 19, 1838. In 1844, when he was six years old, his parents came to Grundy County and settled in Trenton, then a small hamlet, where he was reared and educated and has lived ever since with the exception of four years spent in travel in Colorado, Utah and Illinois. His father being a bricklayer he learned that trade but followed it only a short time after attaining his majority.
In 1861 he enlisted in company B, Twenty-third Missouri volunteer infantry under Colonel Tindall, and participated in the battle of Shiloh, where he was taken prisoner and held as such seven months, during which time he was confined at Corinth, Memphis, Mobile, Montgomery, Chattanooga, Macon, and in Libby Prison; was patrolled at Aiken's Landing, Virginia, October 19, 1862; was twice promoted, first as orderly sergeant and next as second lieutenant. In 1863 he was detailed assistant commissary for the district of Rolla, Missouri, and was mustered out in 1864, serving six months longer than the term enlisted for. Returning to Trenton he was deputized county and circuit clerk by Hon. George H. Hubbell. In 1866 he engaged in the mercantile business with W. T. Wisdom, under firm name of Wisdom & Collier, and retired from the firm the following winter. In the tall of 1870 he was elected county treasurer of Grundy County and was elected his own successor. In 1875 he was appointed township trustee of Trenton, which he was legislated out of by a change made in the law. Since that time he has been variously employed, becoming book-keeper for N. Shanklin & Brother in 1880. In 1862 Mr. Collier married Miss A. E. Cooper, of Trenton. They have four children: Willie C., Robert E., Leon E., and Mary Ellen.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack   

DR. JAMES COOPER:
James Cooper was born near Carver's Ferry, in Madison County, Kentucky, on the 19th of February, 1814, where he was reared to manhood, and received a common school education. In 1837 he migrated to Missouri and taught school three months in Boone county, and then began the study of medicine under Dr. Wilcox, of Rocheport, in the same county. He continued to study, alternating with school-teaching, until 1839, when he removed to Linneus, Linn County, Missouri, and practiced for five years, removing to Trenton in 1844.
Here he formed a partnership with Dr. Thompson, and practiced with him for one year, then opened an office alone, and has attended to the arduous duties of an extensive practice for thirty-eight years, four of which, from 1854 to 1858, he was associated with Dr. E. Harris. In 1861 he was commissioned army surgeon, and placed in charge of the hospitals at Chillicothe and Trenton, holding this position until 1863, when he resigned and removed to Canton, Illinois, where he acquired a large practice during his six years' residence. He returned to Trenton in 1869, continuing his residence and practice there since.
On the 10th of August, 1837, Dr. Cooper was joined in wedlock to Miss Mary Ann E. Harris, daughter of Major Robert Harris, of Madison county, Kentucky. Three children were the fruits of this union; namely, Ann E., now Mrs. R. A. Collier, of Trenton; Eberle B., present deputy county clerk of Grundy county; and Nannie J., now Mrs. W. S. H. Marsh, of Trenton. Dr. and Mrs. Cooper are members of long standing of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Trenton.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack   

 


Return To

Grundy County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.