Welcome to
Grundy County

" G "

Was born on a farm near Morristown, Beimont County, Ohio, January 13, 1838, where he was reared and lived until 1854, when he came to Missouri. He first settled on a farm in Daviess county, and lived there until 1859, when he came to Grundy county and engaged in the milling business at Trenton, with his father, Isaac Gilham. He was one of the proprietors of the City Mills, buying an interest in them just before their completion. In February, 1862, he joined the Union army, enlisting in company I, Missouri State militia, under Col. King and Captain Garvin, served one year, and while out was promoted to second lieutenant. When his regiment consolidated with the Seventh regiment, Missouri State militia, there were a number of supernumerary officers who were obliged to resign, he being one of them. He immediately returned home and engaged in farming. In 1870 and 1871 he was one of the originators of the woolen-mills of Trenton. Selling his interest in 1876, he engaged in his present business of farming and dairying. In 1873 he, with Byron and Daniel Markerts, prospected for and found the vein of coal that is now being successfully worked at Trenton. Like every new experiment the expenses were great, and they were obliged to sell, and others are now reaping the benefit. December 23, 1857, Mr. Gilham was united in marriage to Miss M. D. Merrill, who was born and reared in Trenton. They have three children, Charles, Bessie and Ada Belle. Mr. and Mrs. Gilham are members of the Baptist Church of Trenton. He is, also, a member of the Grand River Lodge No. 52, I. O. O. F.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack   

Was born in Mason county, Kentucky, on November 13, 1808, the son of James Gill and Elizabeth Gill, we Moss, both natives of Kentucky. His father was a very efficient soldier in the War of 1812. The subject of this sketch lived in Mason county until he was forty-seven years of age, and in the year 1855 came to Missouri and located in Livingston county, where he resided till he moved to Grundy county, in 1875, where he has since lived and engaged in farming. He was married in Kentucky, to Miss Lydia W. Moss, on June 19, 1828. She was a native of Fleming county, Kentucky, and born March 14, 1810. By this union seven children were born; viz., William W., born March 25, 1829; James A., August 23,1830; Vincent G., born December 8, 1832, and died July 21, 1862; Elizabeth, born April 6, 1835; Hendren, born May 23,1837; Judith, August 18,1839, and Baldwin B., born August 1, 1842. Mrs. Gill died March 19, 1843.
Mr. Gill was again married in 1844, to Sarah Moss, a sister of his first wife. She died in 1863, and he again married, on November 10, 1864, Mrs. Susan E. Ball, the widow of Edward Ball. She was a native of Bedford county, Virginia, and born October 16, 1832. They have had three children: Annie, born November 15, 1865, and died August 16, 1866; Elvira V., born May 25, 1867, and Nannie B., born February 25, 1872.
When the civil war broke out, Mr. Gill was the owner of one of the finest farms in Livingston County, containing three hundred and sixteen acres. He was a member of the National Guards, and upon his return from service with them, was called upon to take part in a meeting for the purpose of organizing a company of bushwhackers, which measure he so ably and strenuously opposed that he broke up the attempted organization, and this was the means of saving Livingston County from the terrible effects that would inevitably have followed. Shortly after this a company of Federal soldiers took him as a prisoner of war, and kept him at Quincy, Illinois, for three months. At the same time they appropriated several very valuable horses and other property. As soon as the authorities at Quincy learned the facts in the case, he was released, and sold his farm (which is now worth $80 per acre for $14 per acre, and bought a small farm upon which he lived till he moved to Grundy County. He has seen many of the ups and downs of life, yet, in his seventy-third year, is a man of remarkable vigor both of body and mind. Mr. and Mrs. Gill are consistent members of the Christian Church.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack 

George Gilmore was born on a farm near Bloomington, Illinois, June 1, 1845. He was reared upon the farm, and received an elementary education in the district schools. In 1864, when nineteen years old, he joined the Union army, enlisting as a private in company G, Thirty-Third Illinois volunteer infantry, serving eighteen months, when he was discharged on account of disability, having been wounded at Spanish Fort, Alabama, by the explosion of a shell, which shattered his ankle joint and rendered amputation of the foot necessary.
After his discharge he returned home, and in April, 1866, entered Eureka College, at Eureka, Illinois, and was a student until the spring of 1870, when he went to Bloomington, Illinois, and studied law in the office of E. M. Prince for six months, having previously been a member of the law class while attending Eureka College, and was admitted to the bar at Bloomington in 1871. He began practice at Pontiac, Illinois, but remained only a short time, and in March, 1872, came to Trenton, where he practiced until 1876, then accepted the position of cashier in the First National Bank of Trenton, which he filled until it surrendered its charter in August, 1876, when he became cashier of its successor, the Union Rank of Trenton, which position he still holds. October 6,1878, he married Miss Isabelle M. Borin, of Pontiac, Illinois. They have one child, Gladys, born in Trenton, July 8, 1880.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack 

Was born in New Castle, Henry county, Indiana, October 1,1848. When he was eight years old his parents removed to Putnam County, Missouri, where he lived with them until he was sixteen years old, at which age, in 1864, he enlisted in the Confederate army under Captain P. Thompson, in Col. Forbes's regiment, and served one year. After being mustered out in 1865, he returned to Putnam county and attended school until 1867. January 1, 1867, he married Miss Sarah J. Ayers, who died March 3, 1871. Soon after his marriage he purchased a farm in Putnam county and lived on it until the death of his wife. In the spring of 1871 he began to work on the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway as a laborer, working four months, then came to Trenton and worked in the machine-shops and roundhouse (then being erected) until February, 1872, when he went on the road as brakes man. He held this position until 1877 when he was given the position of conductor on a freight train, which he still holds. He has two children, Emma and Alvertes Omri.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack   

John Collier Griffin was born near Cynthiana, Kentucky, October 1, 1812. He lived with his parents until his thirteenth year, when he went to live with Dr. Samuel C. Miller, of his native town, with whom he lived three years, and was then employed in the store of Joseph Van Deren, of the same place, for two years. The close confinement impairing his health he was advised to go south, and went to Natchitoches, Louisiana, remaining there and in that vicinity for seven years. Returning to Kentucky in the winter of 1838, he stopped at Louisville until the following fall, and then came to Missouri and settled in that portion of Livingston county, now known as Mercer county, and engaged in farming and stock-raising. In 1839 he was elected major of the first battalion of militia organized in Livingston County.
He came to Trenton in February, 1841, and engaged in the mercantile business and followed it until the spring of 1845. At the first general election held in Grundy county, in 1842, he was elected representative, and elected his own successor in 1844.
In 1845 he was elected by the Fifth senatorial district as a delegate to the constitutional convention, to revise the State constitution. In 1847 he was elected captain by a volunteer company of cavalry, which was received into the United States service at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, to serve during the war with Mexico, and assigned to duty in the Indian Territory.
His company was mustered out of the service at Independence, Missouri, in September, 1848.
He closed out his mercantile business in Trenton in 1845, and removed to his farm some six miles north of that place, to which he returned in 1852. In 1850 he was elected senator by the Fifth senatorial district and served as such until 1856, and in that year was elected circuit attorney for the Eleventh judicial circuit, and elected his own successor in 1860, since which time he has been in the law practice at Trenton. April 6, 1843, he married Miss Nancy J. Clark, of Grundy County, who died September 6, 1858. They had seven children, only one of whom, Martha J., wife of William W. Bonta, is now living. Major Griffin has been identified with all the best interests of Trenton and Grundy county since the pioneer days, and been called upon to serve the people of Grundy in a public capacity more times than any person now living, and has fairly earned "the well done, good and faithful servant," which has been bestowed upon him.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack  


Return To

Grundy County


Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.