Welcome to
Grundy County
Missouri

Biographies
" H "

JUDGE GEORGE HALL:
The above named gentleman is one of the most influential citizens of Trenton, as well as one of the most polished and learned ornaments of the Grundy county bar, of which he has been a member since 1867. George Hall was born of highly respected parents, upon a farm, near Indianapolis, Indiana, March 10, 1840, where he continued to live until he became of age. He received an education, such as the common schools afforded, until he reached his nineteenth year, when he entered the academy at Danville, Indiana, and remained in attendance for two years. Returning home in 1861, at the outbreak of the war of the rebellion, he at once enlisted in company A, of the Nineteenth regiment of Indiana volunteer infantry, and in August, 1862, again enlisted, this time in company B, of the Seventy-ninth regiment of Indiana volunteers, in which command he served during the war. He was in many of the hotly contested engagements in that long and terrible struggle for the Union, having participated in the battles of Louisville, Virginia; Perryville, Kentucky; Stone River, Chickamauga and Chattanooga, Tennessee; Resaca, Kingston, New Hope Church, Pine Mountain, Kenesaw Mountain, Marietta, Peach-Tree Creek, Atlanta, Jonesborough and Lovejoy's Station, Georgia; Franklin and Nashville, Tennessee. He was mustered out of service in June, 1865, at Nashville, returned home, and a short time thereafter went to Indianapolis, where he began legal studies in the office of J. W. Blake.
In due time he was admitted to the bar, and also to practice in the Supreme Court of his native State. Bidding farewell to his home and friends in Indiana, he journeyed westward in search of a location, and his prospecting tour ended in Trenton, where he "hung out his shingle," and entered upon the practice of law. His efforts were attended with signal success, and his business increased until his practice is now one of the largest and most lucrative in the city.
In 1868 he was appointed city attorney, which position he held until November 8, 1870, when he was elected probate judge for the term of four years, and then reelected for the same length of time. Politically, Judge Hall is a Republican, and was the delegate from his district to the Republican National Convention, at Chicago, in 1880, which nominated President James A. Garfield. The same year he was the nominee of his party for the circuit judgeship.
Judge Hall married Miss Rachel A. Smith, a native of Morgan county, Ohio, April 15, 1S69. They have four children, Hallie, Homer, Mabel and Frank. Mr. and Mrs. Hall are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack 

L. D. HALL:
Was born in Smithfield, Jefferson county, Ohio, February 27, 1836. When he was five years old his father removed to Lawrence county Ohio, where he was reared, and received a common school education, which he completed at the Ohio State University, at Athens, in 1854. In November, 1855, he began teaching in Lawrence county and continued until 1871, when he enlisted in the Union army, first in a three months' regiment, and at the expiration of that time again enlisted, in company D, Ninety-first Ohio volunteer infantry, and served during the war. While out was promoted through the various grades from private to second lieutenant, and participated in a number of battles, the most important being Cloyd Mountain, Winchester, Cedar Creek and Lynchburg. After the war he resumed teaching in Lawrence county, Ohio. He came to Grundy County in 1858, and continued teaching until 1873, when he was engaged in his present position of timekeeper of the southwestern division of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railway, under R. O. Carscadin. March 31, 1873, he was united in marriage to Miss Nancy E. McCollum, of Trenton.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack 

BENJAMIN F. HARDING:
Was born in Meigs county, Ohio, April 25, 1831. He came to Grundy county with his parents in April, 1845, and settled on a farm five miles west of Trenton, near Edinburg, where he lived with them until he was about twenty years of age. What little education he has received was by attending the common schools in the different places where his parents resided, and at the Old Grand River College at Edinburg. In April, 1861, he joined the Union army, enlisting in company B, Twenty-third Missouri volunteer infantry as a private, but was afterward promoted to second lieutenant of his company. On account of poor health he resigned his commission in the fall of 1862, and returned to Grundy county and engaged in the mercantile business with his father, E. P. Harding. Having the misfortune of being burned out soon after, from that time until 1865, he was employed as clerk in his father's store in Trenton. In the spring of 1866 he removed to Henry county, Missouri, and lived in Springfield a short time, and from there went to Clinton, and thence, in 1868, to Keytesville, the county seat of Chariton county, where he worked at his trade as mason and plasterer. Returning to Grundy county in 1870 he worked at his trade up to 1878, when he was elected county collector, and still holds that office. In 1881 he was elected school-director for the city schools of Trenton. Mr. Hardin married Miss Sarah Elizabeth Reynolds, of Trenton, and she died at Osceola, St. Clair county, Missouri, March 8, 1868. He has two children: Margaret C., wife of Harvey II. Griffy, of Trenton; and Kate, living with her father.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack   

J. G. HEMLEY:
Was born in Warren, Trumbull County, Ohio, October 24, 1835. His parents removed to Ashland, Ohio, where they lived until he was ten years old, and then removed to Pendleton, Putnam county, Ohio. His father being a harness-maker, he was brought up to the trade, and began work in his father's shop when he was twelve years old, and worked with him until he was twenty-four. April 24th, 1859, he married Miss H. L. Bagley, of Pendleton, and immediately went to Mill Grove, in Wood county, Ohio, and embarked in the harness business. He remained one year, and then removed his business to Pendleton, where he soon after closed up his shop. At the breaking out of the late war in 1861, he joined the Union army, enlisting in company D, Twenty-first Ohio volunteer infantry, and served three years and three months—three months over his term of enlistment. His regiment was in the Fourteenth army corps under generals Rosecrans and Thomas, and took part in the battles of Stone River, Chickamauga, and others too numerous to mention. He was mustered out and discharged at Galesville, Alabama, October 22, 1864, and returned to Pendleton, Ohio, sold out his property there, came to Missouri, and settled at Attica, Livingston county, where he carried on harness-making in connection with farming until 1869. In that year he went to Chillicothe and continued harness-making until 1873, when he removed to Trenton, and established his present business, dealing in and manufacturing harness and saddles. Be is doing an extensive business and* employs from six to seven hands. He has four sons, George W. and Nathaniel E. at work in the shop; and Russell H. and John L. One son, Alfred, died in Pendleton, Ohio, in 1861. Mr. and Mrs. Hemley are members of the Baptist Church at Trenton. He is a member of Grand River Lodge, No. 52, I. O. O. F., and of Adelphia Lodge No. 38, K. of P.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack  

HENRY O. HERBERT:
Son of John L. and Rebecca Herbert, was born in Muskingum county, Ohio, on the 31st of January, 1843. His father hailed from Virginia, and his mother was a native of Ohio. When Henry was three years old the family removed to Missouri and made their home in Grundy county.
The rude alarms of war sounded in 1861, and Henry C. Herbert was among those who responded to their country's call. He enlisted as a private in company G, Thirty-third regiment Missouri volunteer infantry, and served four years, passing unscathed through many fields of carnage, where the groans and wails of the wounded mingled with the hissing of the flying shot and shell. He participated in the battles of Helena (Ark.), Gains' Hill, and Vicksburg, in the spring and summer of 1863. The Thirty-Third Missouri formed a part of the third brigade, first division of the sixteenth army corps, under General N. P. Banks, and, with his company, he accompanied, on the 11th of March, 1864, the memorable and disastrous expedition up Red River to capture Shreveport, the seat of the Confederate government in Louisiana, and took part in the assault and capture of Fort de Russy, the skirmish and retreat at Mansfield, the bloody engagement at Pleasant Hill and consequent retreat to Alexandria, and by gunboats down Red River on their return, reaching Vicksburg on the 22d of May, 1864. He participated in the skirmishes at La Grange, Holly Springs, Oxford, Waterford, and the three days fight at Tupelo on the 13th, 14th and 15th of July, the same year, arriving at Memphis, Tenn., August 30th.
Here he was on the sick list, and on the 2d of November, 1864, went home on a furlough, remaining until his recovery, March 19th, 1865, when he rejoined his company and went down to New Orleans. After a short sickness he took part in the siege and capture of Spanish Fort, near Mobile; accompanied the march to Montgomery, Ala., thence down the river to Selma, where he was stationed until July 21st, 1865, when the regiment went by rail to Vicksburg, up the Mississippi to St. Louis, receiving his honorable discharge from the service on the 10th of August, 1865, and reaching home on the 14th of the same month.
On the 16th of September, 1866, Mr. Herbert married Mrs. Mary Leeper, widow of Andrew C. Leeper, by whom she was the mother of two children, James M , born January 20, 1863; and Andrew C., born November 18, 1864. Mr. and Mrs. Herbert have been the parents of eight children, six of whom are living, as follows: John W., born July 27,1867; Ivan B., May 5, 1868; Hugh L., April 13, 1870; Martha M., March 10, 1872; Hiram B., December 12, 1873; and Benjamin F., December 7, 1876. Mr. Herbert is a farmer and his farm is among the best cultivated in Trenton township.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack 

JOSEPH W. HILL:
Was born at Bellefontaine, Logan county, Ohio, April 11, 1849. At the age of eight years, with his parents, he went to McKinney, Collin county, Texas, and after living there two years, returned north and came to Bolivar, Polk county, Missouri, in 1859, and from there came to Grundy county the following year and settled on a farm in Madison township. He continued to live with his parents until March, 1865, when he enlisted in company P», Fifty-first Missouri volunteer infantry, and served six months. On being mustered out at the close of the war he returned to Trenton and began to learn the carpenter's trade, hiring out at once and not serving any time. He has since worked at the trade in Trenton, with the exception of the time from March, 1871, until January, 1872, when he lived in Clinton, Missouri, where he failed to find employment, but had a good team stolen. He returned to Trenton in January, 1872, and began work as a contractor and builder, and has built up a good business. April 7, 1870, Joseph W. Hill and Miss Ella Luke, of Trenton, were married. They have three children, Eva, Maud and Lula, all born in Trenton. Mrs. Hill is a member of the M. E. Church at Trenton. He is a member of Grand River Lodge No. 52,1. O. O. F., and of Adelphia Lodge No. 38, K. of P., at Trenton.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881;
Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack   

HON. E. F. HORTON:
Edward Festus Horton was born on a farm twelve miles west of Marietta, in Washington county, Ohio, on the 10th, of September, 1840. He attended the common schools where he acquired the elementary branches of an education, which he completed at Marietta College. Leaving home in 1857, at the age of seventeen, he went to Iowa, determined to fight his own battles and win his own way in the world. Locating at Unionville, he remained but a short time, and removed to Fort Dodge, in the same State, where he was engaged in the farm implement business.
Returning to Unionville in the winter of 1858-59, he taught school until the following spring, and then began the study of medicine under S. H. Sawyer, M. D., in whose office he continued until the breaking out of the civil war in 1861.
He entered the service of the Union as second lieutenant of company I of the Third regiment of Iowa cavalry, and September 1st, 1862, was promoted to the captaincy of his company. June, 1863, he was honorably discharged on account of physical disability.
Returning to Unionville, he was elected a member of the General Assembly of Iowa, and entered upon his duties, but before the expiration of his term, in 1864, was appointed provost-marshal of the Fourth Iowa district, which position he held until the close of the war in 1865. Resuming his medical studies, he graduated from the medical department of the Iowa State University, at Keokuk, in 1866, and soon after he began to practice at Iconium, Iowa.
At Iconium he remained until the spring of 1868, then removed to Grundy County and located in Trenton, where he has since resided. Entering actively upon the practice of his profession, Dr. Horton soon attained a high standing in the community and secured a lucrative practice.
ln 1872 he was elected and represented the district in the lower branch of the Missouri legislature, and discharged the duties devolving upon him most creditably to himself and his constituents. Retiring from the practice of medicine in 1874, he engaged in the grain and seed business with Gilbert D. Smith, under the firm name of Smith & Horton, and continued until 1878, when he received the appointment of postmaster. This latter position he has most worthily and satisfactorily filled and still holds.
Dr. Horton was united in marriage to Miss Sarah Deau, of Unionville, Iowa, October 8th, 1861, by whom he has three children living; namely, Blanche, Claude and Edward; and one dead: Dean, who died at the age of two years.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack 

W. W. HUBBELL:
Was born in Trenton, Missouri, November 4, 1844, where hi was reared and has spent his life. He obtained his elementary education by attending private schools maintained by his father and a few of his neighbors for the benefit of their own families, and others too indigent to afford to pay for schooling their children, and among the teachers they employed were Messrs. Stewart and Ficklin, who have since become eminent teachers, the latter now holding a professorship in the Missouri State University. His education was completed at the college of Glasgow, Missouri, which he attended for six months in 1850, and from that time until 1861 worked on his father's farm. In the fall of the last named year, when only sixteen years of age, he entered the State service as second lieutenant and adjutant of the Grundy county battalion, under Colonel Walter King, and served until the expiration of his term of six months. Early in 1862 he assisted in organizing the Third regiment Missouri State militia, going out as first lieutenant and adjutant, and served one year, when he resigned his commission and returned to Trenton. In 1863 he was deputized circuit and county clerk of Grundy County by his father. In October of the same year Mr. Hubbell was united in marriage to Miss Fannie Austin, of Trenton, and immediately after engaged in the mercantile business with James Austin, his father-in-law, and J. H. Shanklin, under the firm name of W. W. Hubbell & Co. That firm closing out in 1866, he engaged in farming and stock-shipping until 1868, when, with A. J. Spitler, he formed the firm of Hubbell & Spitler, and engaged in the grocery business at Trenton. They conducted the business only a short time when they were burned out, and from that time until the spring of 1881 he engaged in farming and buying and shipping grain and stock. In February, 1881, he purchased Mr. Borders's interest in the firm of Murphy, Lanius & Co., arid formed the present firm of Murphy, Lanius & Hubbell. Mr. and Mrs. Hubbell have six children: Alida T., Arthur R, Austin E., Laura L., Nellie Grant and M. Woolsey.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack 

B. H. HUME:
Was born near Richmond, Kentucky, March 6, 1843, where he lived with his parents until he was eighteen years old. At that age he joined the Confederate army, enlisting in company F, Third Tennessee cavalry, and served first under Gen. Zollicoffer, and after his death under Gen. Kirby Smith, serving in that army corps some eighteen months; was discharged and returned to his home in Kentucky, where he was soon after taken prisoner by the Union provost-guards, and imprisoned three months. Was released in May, 1865, and soon after enlisted in company F, Third Kentucky cavalry, under Gen. John Morgan, and served until July 19, of the same year, when he, with his corps, was taken prisoner near Buflington Island, Ohio, and was for a short time imprisoned at Camp Morton, at Indianapolis, Indiana, and from there taken to Camp Douglas, Chicago, Illinois, and kept until the close of the war. After his release he returned to Kentucky, and engaged in farming until February, 1866, then went to Arkansas, and was employed as superintendent on a cotton plantation for one year. Subsequently he was employed as a clerk in the store of W. K. Hocker & Co., Lonoke, Arkansas, remained with them one year, and went to Jefferson county, Arkansas, and engaged in raising cotton. The following year he returned to Kentucky, and after a visit of a few months came to Missouri, arriving in Trenton in April, 1869, where he permanently settled the following year, and engaged in the grocery business, which he followed until May, 1881. With his brother he built the first brick business house in Trenton. He has made all his property since coming, to Trenton, and is among the substantial men of that enterprising young city. November 8, 1876, he married Miss Irena Stombaugh, of Trenton, by whom he has three children: Ethel Lilian, Maggie Myrtle and Robert Allen, all born in Trenton.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack   


Return To

Grundy County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.