Welcome to
Grundy County
Missouri

Biographies
" M "

McGRATH, W. H.: 
Was born in Boston, Massachusetts, June 25th, 1837, where he attended school from the time he was old enough until he reached the age of twelve, when he left home on account of dislike for his step-father—his father having died when he was six years old. On leaving home he went to Randolph, Massachusetts, and served an apprenticeship in the shoemaking business with a cousin, with whom he worked as an apprentice and attended school, for nearly four years. In 1853, he came west and worked at the trade of shoemaking in various places in Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Missouri and Kansas. Coming to Trenton in 1860, he engaged in boot and shoemaking with Thomas Torpey, as McGrath & Torpey, and the firm continued business until the breaking out of the late war.
The following year he, in answer to the first call for troops by the governor of the State, enlisted in the State service, company A, second battalion of Missouri State troops, and served until the term of enlistment expired in 1862, when he was commissioned second lieutenant of the Thirty-third regiment of Missouri volunteer infantry, which he soon after resigned and served as commissary in the State service until the spring of 1863.
He then went to Susaitville, the county seat of Plumas County, California, and engaged in shoemaking until 1864, next went to Corvalis, Oregon, and thence to Vancouver City, Washington Territory. In this latter place he remained four years, serving one year as deputy sheriff and three years as warden in the Territorial penitentiary.
In the fall of 1868 he returned east via Panama and New York City, to Trenton, where he engaged in making and dealing in boots and shoes, and continued the business up to 1870, in which year he was appointed city assessor and street commissioner, holding the former position until 1881 and the latter at various times during the same period, and in 1877 and '78 was& deputy county assessor.
In 1881 he was elected justice of the peace and is now serving in that position. December 23d, 1860, Mr. McGrath married Miss L. J. Wisdom, of Randolph County, Missouri, by whom he has one child, George T., who graduated at the Trenton high school in 1880. Mr. McGrath is a prominent Mason, and has served as worshipful master eight years, high priest three years, and is now prelate in the commandery, and has been deputy grand master of the Grand Lodge of Missouri, for five years.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack 

MURPHY, THOMAS A. :
"Was born near Mansfield, Ohio, August 2, 1842, and was there reared on a farm, and attended the district school during the winter terms. In his eighteenth year.  In 1861, he enlisted in the First Ohio independent battery of light artillery, and served three years, doing duty in West Virginia, in the army of the Potomac, and in the Shenandoah Valley during Sherman's campaign, in the fall of 1864, and participating in many engagements.
He was mustered out at Martinsburg, Virginia, December, 1864, and returned to Mansfield, from where, after spending the winter, he started west in company with an old schoolmate and army chum, John C. Patterson, and came to Grundy county, where they purchased a farm near Trenton, and with it a large flock of sheep. They farmed one year and then sold out at an advance of $2,600 on the original price.
They separated, and Mr. Murphy went into the grocery business with A. J. Spitler, as Spitler & Murphy, and the firm continued business until the summer of 1866, when his old chum purchased Mr. Spitler's interest, changing the name to Murphy & Patterson. They did business until the latter part 1867, when he retired from the firm and engaged in the stock business with R. and J. B. Carnes, as Carnes, Murphy & Carnes.
Discontinuing business in the fall of 1868, he gave his attention to farming and the stock business until 1876, when he engaged in the hardware business in connection with farming, and soon after Solomon Asher became associated with him, as Asher & Murphy. In 1878 Mr. Asher retired from the firm, and C. Borders and H. C. Lanius became his successors, and the firm of Murphy, Lanius & Co. was formed.
In 1880 Mr. Borders was succeeded by W. W. Hubbell, and the present firm of Murphy, Lanius & Hubbell was founded. He has ever been identified with the growth and prosperity of Trenton, and has built several substantial buildings, both business and residence.
He gave the grounds to the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railway Company for their depots, round-house and switch yard; and to secure the Quincy, Missouri & Pacific Railway, gave $300, as his share of the $40,000 raised by subscription for the company.
October 15, 1867, he married Miss Mary E. Wiggins, of Trenton, by whom he has four children: Martha Grace, Salome Lilian, Thomas A. and Hugh C.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack 


Return To

Grundy County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.