Welcome to
Grundy County
Missouri

Biographies
" R "

ROGERS, N. H.:
N. Harvey Rogers was born near Greenfield, Highland county, Ohio, May 25, 1836, where he lived with his parents until he was nineteen. He received his education by attending the common schools of his town and the Greenfield Academy. On leaving home he worked as a farm hand in the vicinity of his old home until the fall of 1857, when he came to Missouri and taught school in Mercer and adjoining counties.
In the fall of 1861 he enlisted in company E, Second Missouri volunteer cavalry and served four years. He went out as a private and was promoted to corporal, and from that to first lieutenant, and assigned to the command of company H of his regiment. He participated in a number of important battles; was dangerously wounded at the battle of Mooresville, Missouri; and was mustered out of the service at St. Louis in the fall of 1865.
Returning to Mercer County he engaged in the mercantile business at Ravenna with his brother, W. B. Rogers, doing business one year. In the fall of 1866 he began to study law in the office of Hyde & Norton, of Princeton, was admitted to the bar in the fall of 1867, and began practice at Princeton, and continued until 1872, during three years of which time he also edited the Princeton Advance. During the session of the legislature of 1868 and '69 he was elected, by the State senate, sergeant-at-arms of that body, and served the whole term of two years. In 1872 he removed from Princeton and returned to Ravenna and engaged in merchandizing, also practicing law with F. M. Evans and W. W. Holmes, of the law firm of Rogers, Evans & Co. In 1876 he removed to Mill Grove, Missouri, where he continued in the mercantile business, associating with him R. M. Decker, and did business there one year, when he returned to Princeton and discontinued the practice of law and engaged in the grain and agricultural business.
In the spring of 1879 he came to Grundy County and engaged in the lumber business at Trenton with his brother, W. B. Rogers, under the firm name of N. H. Rogers & Co., he managing the business. In 1865. July 20, he married Miss Susan D. Reed, of Hnntsville, Missouri. They have three children: John Lincoln, aged fifteen; Otis J., thirteen; and Rosa, eleven. Mr. and Mrs. Rogers and daughter are members of the Baptist Church of Trenton.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881 Submitted to Geneaology Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack 

COL. W. B. ROGERS:
William B. Rogers was born in Fayette county, Ohio, February 8, 1835' where he remained with his father until his eighteenth year, his mother dying before he was of age, and accompanied him in his removal to Noble county, Indiana. He received a common school education in Fayette and Noble counties, which was afterward, supplemented by one year's attendance at Grand River College, at Edinburg, this county.
Leaving Indiana, Mr. Rogers settled near Ravenna. Mercer county, Missouri, in 1856, and secured a position as school-teacher, and was subsequently engaged in the same work in Andrew county, Missouri, and Wayne county, Iowa, and also officiated as assistant instructor while pursuing his studies at the Grand River College. His last work in this capacity was at Princeton, Mercer county, where ho taught school for fifteen months.
This brought him up to the year 1861, when the country was thrilled by the prospect of war, and in August he enlisted in the State service, serving six months under Lieutenant-colonel Jonas J. Clark.
Returning home, he was elected sheriff and collector of Mercer County, in the fall of 1862, and while acting in that capacity was commissioned colonel of the enrolled militia of that county, by Gov. H. R. Gamble. Before the expiration of his term as sheriff, he raised a company for the United States service, which became company D of the Forty-fourth regiment of Missouri volunteers, of which he was elected captain, Col. R C. Bradshaw (now of St. Joseph) commanding. He received his commission from Gov. W. P. Hall, and served until the close of the war, participating in the battles of Franklin, Spring Hill and Nashville, in Tennessee, and the capture of Mobile, Alabama.
He was mustered out of service in 1865, and returned to Mercer county and engaged in the mercantile business at Ravenna until 1868, when he was elected to the State senate, from the Fifth senatorial district, composed of the counties of Livingston, Grundy, Mercer and Carroll, and honorably acquitted himself of the duties of the position during his term of four years.
In September, 1869, he moved to Trenton and purchased the Grand River Republican, which name he changed to Trenton Republican, July 25th, 1872, under which title he has continued its publication with eminent success up to the present date. Col. Rogers early took an interest in the growth and development of the section in which he lived, and was elected one of the directors of the Chillicothe & Des Moines City Railroad Company, in 1868, and much of the success of Trenton in securing the building of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad (which was the successor of the first named company) from Princeton, and the location of the machine shops at Trenton, are due to his well directed efforts and influence. He is still a director of the last named company.
Col. Rogers married Miss Cynthia A. Buren, of Daviess County, Missouri, April 14th, 1863, by whom he has three children: Carrie, William B., and Noble G. Col. and Mrs. Rogers are members of the Baptist Church of Trenton. He has been a member of the church since 1863, and has held the position of church clerk for nine years. Mrs. Rogers, prior to her marriage, was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, from which she withdrew and joined the Baptist Church in 1870.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack 

 

CONRAD ROSE, recognized as one of the energetic, influential business men of Wenatchee, Chelan county, is present and general manager of the Wenatchee Produce Company. Though still a young man, his residence in the state embraces nearly a quarter of a century, and his business acquaintance is wide.

 

He was born in St. Clair county, Illinois, February 5, 1862, his father, Conrad Rose, being a native of Germany, and at present a resident of Trenton, Missouri. Arriving in the United States in 1860, a few months prior to the opening of the Civil War, he settled in Illinois, where he prosecuted the business of a merchant tailor. The mother, Elizabeth (Pike) Rose, a native of Illinois, died in 1871. At the age of four years young Rose was taken by his parents to Iowa, and it was in this state that he received a practical business education, ably supplemented by subsequent experience in a general store which he entered at the age of fourteen.

 

Following a residence of eight years in Missouri, Conrad Rose came to Washington, and settled in Sprague, Lincoln county, in 1883. He was at that time twenty years old. He was in the service of the Northern Pacific Railway Company for two years as fireman, and three years as engineer. In 1888 he located at Wenatchee, where he purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land, converting the same into a most eligible and productive ranch. Four years subsequently he sold this to the Wenatchee Development Company, and purchased forty acres one mile southwest of Wenatchee, improving the same to a high degree of productiveness. Mr. Rose formed a partnership in 1898 with Leroy Wright, and the two engaged in the present business. On January 1, 1903, they formed a company under the name of the Wenatchee Produce Company, with the following officers: Conrad Rose, president and general manager; Leroy Wright, vice-president; C.S. Crider, secretary and treasurer. The principal line of business is shipping fruit and various kinds of farm produce. The company also deals in cereals, salt, seeds, bee supplies, hay and grain.

 

With the steady and flattering growth of Wenatchee Mr. Rose has been closely identified since his location in the vicinity. On the organization of the new county he was appointed commissioner, later elected to the same office and re-elected at the last election. He is, also, a member of the school board. Although Mr. Rose elects to reside on his beautiful ranch he owns considerable residence and business property in Wenatchee. His home residence is a substantial two-story house, surrounded by an attractive lawn, with dark green alfalfa fields within the range of vision, and a fine orchard adding to the homelike scene.

 

At Sprague, Washington, our subject was married to Elizabeth H. Milner, December 8, 1885. She was born in England, where her father, Thomas Milner, at present resides. A half brother of Mrs. Rose is at present in California, an engineer on the Southern Pacific railroad. Her sister, Martha, is the wife of William Landingham, of Wilbur, Washington. Two half sisters of Mrs. Rose are in England, Margaret and Ellen, and three half brothers, John, Joseph and
William. To Mr. and Mrs. Rose have been born two sons, Philip, of Redlands, California, and George, now a merchant tailor at Everett, Washington. They have four half brothers, Edward, Ashley, Benjamin and John, merchant tailors, Trenton, Missouri, and two half sisters, Mary, wife of Harry Jolly, and Fanny, a school girl, now living at Trenton, Missouri.

 

Fraternally Mr. Rose is a member of Riverside Lodge, No. 112, A.F. & A.M., Wenatchee Chapter, R.A.M., No. 479, B.P.O.E., Everett, Washington, and M.W.A., Wenatchee. Politically, he is a Democrat, but not a partisan.

 

Mr. Rose has the following named children, Mary, Moss, Maud, Thomas C., George, Philip, and Edward. [SOURCE: “An Illustrated History of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan, and Chelan Counties in the state of Washington”; Western Historical Publishing Company, 1904 – Tr. by Tammie Rudder]


Return To

Grundy County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.