Welcome to
Grundy County
Missouri

Biographies
" S "

COL. JOHN H. SHANKLIN.
John H. Shanklin was born in Monroe county, Virginia (now West Virginia), on the 2d day of November, 1824. His father, Absalom Shanklin, was a native of Botetourt County, Virginia, and his mother, whose maiden name was Nancy Luster, was a native of Campbell County in the same State. He was the eighth child in a family of ten—six sons and four daughters, all of whom attained their majority, and six of whom are still living. From the age of ten until he was sixteen, he attended school in the rough log school-houses of the county, and afterward taught one term. The summer after he was twenty he "cropped on shares" with his brother-in-law in Mercer County, Virginia, and from this realized his first ready money.
Returning to Monroe County he taught another term of school the following fall, and on the 2nd day of the next March, 1846, with a meager wardrobe and less than one hundred dollars in money, he bid farewell to relatives in his good old mountain home, and in company with a young friend as poor in purse and as rich in hope as himself, started for the "great west." Taking passage on a steamer at Charleston, on the Kanawha, and changing boats at Cincinnati and St. Louis, they reached Weston, Missouri. Remaining there and in Buchanan county but a short time, he came to Grundy county, arriving at Trenton April 10, 1846. His first employment was the teaching of two terms of school in the "Schooled neighborhood," near Spickardsville, and a third term about three miles north of Trenton.
In the summer of 1847, he enlisted as a private for "during the war with Mexico," in Capt. John C. Griffin's company, Lieut.-Col. William Gilpin's battalion, for service on the Santa Fe trail, in the Indian country between Missouri and Santa Fe, New Mexico. The company was mustered into service early in September, 1847, and participated in the march through Kansas, up the Arkansas River to near Bent's Fort, in Colorado, thence across the mountains to Moro, in New Mexico, and down the Canadian River into the Comanche country. In the spring of 1848 he was promoted from the ranks to quartermaster and commissary-sergeant, under Lieut. Ashley Gulley. The summer following a severe attack of inflammatory rheumatism compelled him to use crutches until after his return home, mustering out of the service at Independence, Missouri, in the fall of 1848. The winter of 1848-49 found him engaged in settling up the accounts of Lieut. Gulley, with the department at Washington, after which he resumed teaching near Trenton the following spring.
On the 22d of January, 1850, he married Miss Kitty Ann Collier, with whom he has lived happily. Their union has been blessed with five children, three of whom—Orville M., Walter H. and Carrie—are still living. The sons have grown to manhood while the daughter is an amiable young lady of seventeen. Soon after his marriage he was appointed judge of the Probate Court, vice Judge Renfro, resigned. He had never read law, bat in conning the statutes of the State pertaining to the duties of his new position, he became deeply interested, and consulting his friend, Jacob T. Tiudall, then a young attorney, he received so much encouragement that he at once entered upon the study of law. At the spring term, 1851, of the Grundy Circuit Court, he was licensed as an attorney and counselor at law, and practiced with the usual indifferent success until the fall of 1852, when he embarked in a small mercantile business until the winter of 185455, when he entered into partnership with Jacob T. Tindall, then in active law practice, and continued until the death of the latter at the battle of Shiloh in 1862. In 1858, James Austin became associated with them, and until 1862 the firm was Tindall, Shanklin & Austin.
In politics Mr. Shanklin was a Whig, and supported the men and measures of that party until its dissolution. In 1860 he voted for Stephen A. Douglas. Since the war he has adhered to the principles of the Democratic party.
In the fall of 1861 he was commissioned by Gov. Gamble as division inspector, with rank of colonel, and enlisted most of the six months' militia from Grundy, Sullivan, Mercer and Harrison counties, who were stationed at Chillicothe and Utica. During the winter of 1861-62 he was authorized, with Col. Walter King, to recruit a regiment of M. S. M., and in the spring of 1862, the Third regiment of Missouri State militia was raised, of which he was commissioned lieutenant-colonel. In the meantime, owing to the absence of Col. Tindall and himself, the business of the firm had been mainly without attention, and as the family of Col. Tindall, on that officer's death, were dependent upon his interest in the business, Col. Shanklin resigned his commission to look after their interests. About this time he was elected a member of the Missouri State Convention, to fill the vacancy occasioned by Col. Tindall's death, and served in that body in two short sessions—June, 1862 and June, 1863.
After arranging his business affairs, he was commissioned by the governor, in August, 1862, colonel of the Thirtieth E. M. M., and assigned to duty, with part of the regiment, at Chillicothe, Missouri, where he remained in command of the post and adjacent country until March, 1863, when, at his own request, he was relieved. From that time he was actively engaged in the practice of law, until August, 1864, when he was again ordered into military service, and assigned to the command of a district of eight counties, with headquarters at Chillicothe, and continued through Gen. Price's last raid into Missouri, until about March 1, 1865.
He again engaged in the practice of law until 1868, when, as president of the Chillicothe & Des Moines City Railroad Company, he undertook to obtain for the people of Grundy and Mercer counties, access by rail to the outer world, and in 1871 finally succeeded in obtaining a transfer of the road-bed between Trenton and Princeton to the Chicago & Southwestern Railway Company (now the C, R. I. & P. Railroad), and its completion through Grundy and Mercer counties. In 1871, as division solicitor for the C., R. I. & P. Railroad, he attended to all the business of that company in the State of Missouri.
He was elected a delegate to the Constitutional Convention in 1875, from the district composed of Grundy, Mercer, Livingston and Carroll counties, and during the ninety days' session of that body, which formed the present constitution of Missouri, was conspicuous for his industry, zeal and knowledge of constitutional law.
Shanklin & Austin continued with marked success the business of the old firm, Col. Shanklin giving his attention to the law practice, while Mr. Austin takes charge of the banking business, which the firm have been engaged in for a number of years. In January, 1876, Col. Shanklin desiring to divide the labor of his large practice, and avail himself of joint counsel in important causes, formed a co-partnership with Marcus A. Low and Henry C. McDougal, of Gallatin, Missouri, under the firm name of Shanklin, Low & McDougal, practicing in the courts of northwest Missouri.
In the winter of 1880-81, Col. Shanklin became interested in a group of silver and copper mines in the Gallinas Mountains, New Mexico, and spent the spring and summer of 1881 in that Territory, looking after the property and developing the mines. The Gallinas Mining and Smelting Company was incorporated, with a capital stock of one million dollars, of which Col. S. was elected president and general manager.
Standing full six feet one inch in height, with an average weight of two hundred pounds, and blessed with splendid physical and mental vigor, Col. Shanklin bears lightly his age at fifty-seven. A careful, patient, diligent student, a conscientious lawyer, an honest man, he has attained a proud position among the many able lawyers of this State. Combining those qualities which have rendered him an eminent jurist and advocate, his kindness to the younger members of the bar, and courtesy to the court and opposing counsel, have for years been proverbial. That generous hospitality and unaffected simplicity which characterizes the people of his early home in the "Old Dominion," is well exemplified in his daily life.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Geneaology Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack 

SHANKLIN ORVILLE M.:
Was born in Trenton, Missouri, September 16, 1854. He is the son of Colonel John H. and Kitty Shanklin, was educated in the Trenton high school, and in 1873 he began the study of law in his father's office. Was admitted to the bar in 1877 and immediately began the practice of law at Jamesport, Missouri, where he remained until July, 1879, and then returned to Trenton and engaged in teaching in Grundy county. In 1881 he engaged in the life insurance business, and became district manager of the Centennial Mutual Life Association of Burlington, Iowa. September 19, 1877, he married Miss Dora A., daughter of O. G. Newton, of Trenton. They have two children: Alice and Floyd. Mrs. Shanklin is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Trenton. In 1880 he was the nominee of the Democratic party for county attorney of Grundy county but was defeated by a small majority.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Geneaology Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack 

EDWARD E. SHINN
Edward E. Shinn, of Montrose, is one of the most extensive and successful sheep-growers in Colorado, carrying on his business on a scale of great magnitude, and with vigor and breadth of view that challenge adversity and defy competition.  He was born at Trenton, in Grundy County, Missouri, on February 15, 1856.  His father, Oliver Shinn, was a native of Indiana, and his mother, whose maiden name was Louisa Clempson, was born in South Carolina.  Both died in California.  They had a family of six children, four of whom are living.  Edward, the third in order of birth, when four years old, accompanied his parents from their Missouri home across the plains with ox teams, to this state.  The incidents of that memorable trip, through a wild, unbroken country, beset with dangers from wild beasts and savage men and fraught with hardships and privations of many forms, are indelibly impressed on his memory, as is the welcome sight of Denver after the long and trying journey, although that now imposing and beautiful city was then but a hamlet of log cabins, blacksmith shops and other uncanny concomitants of a frontier village, just struggling into being.  The family remained at Golden until the spring of 1861, then traveled with ox teams to Oregon.  The father had previously gone to California in 1850 and remained two years, and h still had a longing for that state.  Accordingly, after a residence of ten years in Oregon, they moved into northern California, where they remained until the parents died.  Edward was fifteen years old at the time of this removal, and owing to the migratory life of the family and the lack of school facilities in the West at that time, his education in the schools was very scant.  After the death of his father he carried on a flourishing meat business for a time.  In 1884 he returned to Colorado, locating at Montrose.  Here he started and for three years conducted a wholesale and retail meat market, then turned his attention to the stock industry, devoting his energies mainly to the production of sheep on a large scale.  In this branch of that great industry he has ever since been successfully engaged, running now over winter from year to year some eight thousand to nine thousand sheep, and having on the range in summer about sixteen thousand.  He owns two large ranches, one of three hundred and twenty acres, located ten miles east of Montrose.  For the irrigation of this he has recently completed a ditch thirty miles long, in company with others, which takes water from the Cimarron River and has a capacity of one hundred and twenty feet of the fluid and ability to properly irrigate fifteen thousand acres of land.  The ditch was constructed by a company of which he is a leading stockholder and the president, and cost about sixty-five thousand dollars.  Mr. Shinn’s other ranch comprises two hundred acres and is in the mountains, affording an ideal summer range for his stock.  In all commendable enterprises for the benefit of his section of the state he takes an active and intelligent interest.  He was one of the original stockholders and organizers of the Western Slope Bank of Montrose, and is now a director in that institution.  On February 20, 1884, he was married to Mrs. Nettie (McKissick) Harris, a native of California and the daughter of John McKissick, a prominent stock man of that state.  Both of her parents are deceased.  Mr. and Mrs. Shinn have had four children.  Three are living, John, Walter and Cecil.  A daughter named Ethel died several years ago at the age of sixteen months.  Mr. Shinn is a Republican in politics, but he is not an active partisan.  He belongs to the order of Woodmen of the World.
(Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed By Joanne Scobee Morgan)

JUDGE P. O. STEPP:
Paris C. Stepp was born near the city of Bloomington, in Monroe County, Indiana, on the 17th of May, 1845, and there lived upon a farm until 1853, when his parents removed to Missouri and settled upon a farm in Grundy County. Paris went through the usual routine of the country lad, performing his share of the farm work during the season and attending district school in the winter.
This round was continued without much variance until his nineteenth year, when, in June of 1864, he enlisted in the United States service as a private in company E of the Twelfth regiment of Missouri volunteer cavalry, served until the close of hostilities, and was promoted corporal, and then acting sergeant. He was with the detachment under General Hatch which received the attack of the Confederate General Forrest, and participated in the ensuing fierce conflict at Eastport. Was also with the army that met Hood in his daring but disastrous campaign in Tennessee, and took part in the battles of Franklin and Nashville in that State.
After being mustered out of the service on the 13th of April, 1866, he returned to Grundy county, completed the course of study under Prof. R. C. Norton, Trenton schools, said county, attended the University at Bloomington, Indiana, during the years 1868 and 1869, and then engaged in teaching, which he continued until 1870, when he entered the office of Col. John H. Shanklin and began the study of law, and in January, 1874, was admitted to practice at the bar. His engaging qualities of head and heart gave him a popularity all over Grundy county, and in the fall of 1876 he was elected to represent his district in the lower house of the legislature, in which position he efficiently served until 1878. At the expiration of his term he receive! The nomination of the Republican party for probate judge, and was elected for the term of four years. Judge Stepp, though still a young man, stands deservedly high among the prominent citizens of Grundy County.
Paris C. Stepp and Miss Mary E. Fleming were united in the marriage covenant on November 24, 1872. Mrs. Stepp is a native of the State of Indiana. By this union they have one child, W. Dale, born in Trenton, September 12, 1873. Mr. and Mrs. Stepp are members of the Christian Church of Trenton.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Geneaology Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack 

WILLIAM O. SWAYZE
Was born in Pinckney, Warren County, Missouri, June 19, 1841. When he was five years old his parents removed to Canada West. Living there until he was eighteen years of age, he came with his parents to Grundy County, and settled on a farm near Lindley, where he lived with them until 1861.
He was enrolled in the State militia and served until 1862, when he enlisted in company C, Eleventh Missouri volunteer infantry, and served during the war. While in the service he was detailed as clerk at regimental headquarters, and was mustered out in August, 1865, and returned to Grundy County and engaged in farming.
In 1870 he was deputized sheriff, under N. A. Winters, and served until 1873, when he, with N. A. Winters and H. J. Herrick, formed the firm of Herrick, Swayze & Winters, and engaged in the mercantile business for a short time. After the dissolution of this firm, he, with N. A. Winters, went into the grain and forwarding business, which they carried on until 1874. In 1870 he was one of the original incorporators of the Grundy County Coal Company, and while he was acting as superintendent, in 1875, a shaft was successfully sunk and mining began in 1876.
In 1877 he was appointed deputy county collector, under W. T. Wisdom. In 1873 he married Mrs. Amanda H. Fisher, of Trenton, a lady who had established herself in the millinery business in Trenton in 1868, which she still carries on, her establishment being one of the oldest in the city.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Geneaology Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack 


Return To

Grundy County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.