Welcome to
Grundy County
Missouri

County History

GRUNDY COUNTY, MISSOURI

A county in the northern part of the State, bounded on the north by Mercer; east by Sullivan and Linn; south by Livingston, and west by Daviess and Harrison Counties.
For many years before white men settled in Grundy County territory it was occupied as a hunting ground by tribes of Sac, Sioux and Pottawottomie Indians, who chased game over its prairies and through its forests.
There is no obtainable record or tradition of any permanent settlement being made in the county until 1833 when General W. P. Thompson, of Ray County, settled near Grand River.
The year following a number of Kentuckians and Tennesseeans, who had for a while lived in other parts of Missouri, located on land in the vicinity of the present site of Trenton. Among the first settlers were John Thrailkill, Levi Moore and William Cochran. During the next two years the settlements in the county were increased by the arrival of about a dozen other families, including those of Jewett Norris, John Scott, Daniel DeVaul, James R. Merrill Samuel Benson and the Perrys, Grubbs and Metcalfs.
It was organized as a separate and distinct county, January 2, 1841 and was named in the honor of General Felix Grundy, of Tennessee, Attorney General of the United States under President Van Buren.
Grundy County was a part of Carroll County when that county was organized, and later was attached to Livingston County.
[Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri Edited by Howard L, Conard Vol. Ill, page 130-131- C. Horton]

 

The Dawn Of Peace:
"Come see what pleasures In our plains abound,
The woods, the fountains, and the flowery ground.

The war had not yet come to a close when the people began to take an interest in home improvements. The dawn of peace began to light up the eastern horizon, and although it was not yet known just when it would come, yet it was certain not to be in a far distant future. Thus it was that the people at home came to study the problem of advanced progress, and what would most add to advance the material interests of all, and it fell to railroads to become the open sesame of that prosperity.

It was not alone that Grundy county did her duty in furnishing men for the army, but in the matter of taxes she paid her part. In 1862 forty-one counties paid nearly all the taxes and seventy-three paid none. Adair and Harrison were the only two counties in the State that paid the State tax in full. The tax of Grundy county was $3,725.47, and she paid $2,745.17, and that was above the average of the other thirty-eight counties which paid a portion of their State tax.
The death of Colonel Tindall, at Shiloh, necessitated another election for a member of the State convention and J. H. Shanklin was elected to fill the important position, and proved a prominent and one of the ablest of its representatives.

In the matter of shinplaster currency a few Trentonites furnished a portion, and found it necessary to get a bill of relief passed through the legislature, which was accomplished upon the ground that all was to be redeemed.

In 1864, at the fire of the probate judge's office, besides the records of the office, the volumes of decisions of the Supreme Court were also burned. After that the County Court invested $180 in purchasing a second-hand safe of W. H. Robinson.

In 1865 R. P. Carnes was appointed military claim agent for the county* and in 1866 B. Wyatt was elected supervisor of registration, but removed from the county in 1868, and David C. Pugh was appointed in his place and held the office until it was abolished.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack  


Return To

Grundy County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.