Welcome to
Grundy County
Missouri

1872 Township Organizations

The new township organization law which passed, and which so far as this county was concerned, by nearly a unanimous vote in its favor, was put in force in Grundy county, by the prompt act of the County Court.

"At the November term of the County Court, 1872, the following members of the court being present;
G. Williams, James McCane, G. W. Moberly;
Clerk, W. II. Roberts;
Sheriff, N.A. Winters;

Grundy County at the election held on the 5th day of November, 1872.

The township organization law was carried in Grundy County by a vote of 1,205 in its favor, to 33 against it. The boundaries of the several townships were then made, and the county divided into thirteen municipal districts, in place of the original seven which had stood from 1845 to the date of the new districting.

The names of the new metes and bounds of the several municipal divisions seemed to meet with general favor, and no opposition of moment was made against them.

The new townships were given the following names: Washington, Franklin, Myres, Liberty, Marion, Wilson, Jackson, Jefferson, Madison, Harrison, Taylor, Lincoln, Trenton.

The order for their several jurisdictions was made by the County Court at the said November term and is of record as follows:

METES AND BOUNDS:

Wilson—It is ordered by the court that all of congressional township No. 60, of range No. 22, lying in Grundy county, Missouri and all that part of township No. 60, of range No. 23, lying east of sections 8, 17, 20, 29 and 32 be a municipal township and named and known as Wilson township.

Marion—Ordered that all the part of township No. 81, of range No. 22, lying in Grundy county, Missouri, and also all that part of township No. 61, range No. 23, lying east of sections No. 5, 8, 17, 20, 29, and 32 be the municipal township of Marion.

Liberty—Ordered that all that part of township No. 62, of range 22, in Grundy county and lying south of sections No. 4, 5 and 6, and all that part of township 62, of range 23, lying south of sections 1, 2, 3 and 4, and all that part lying east of sections 8, 17, 20, 29 and 32, be known as Liberty township.

Myres—Ordered that all that part of township No. 63, of range No. 22, lying in Grundy county, Missouri, and sections No. 4, 5 and 6, of township No. 62, of range No. 22, and all of sections No. 1, 2, 3 and 4, of township No. 62, of range No. 23, and all that part of township No. 63, of range No. 23, in Grundy county, Missouri, and east of sections No. 17, 20, 29 and 32, be known as Myres township.

Franklin—Ordered that all of township No. 63, of range No. 24, lying in Grundy county, Missouri, sections No. 17, 18, 19, 20, 29, 30 and 32, to township No. 63, of range No. 23, be the municipal township of Franklin.

Lincoln—Ordered that all of township No. 62, of range No. 24, and sections No. 5, 6, 7, 8, 17, 18, 19, 20, 29, 30, 31, 32, of township 61, of range No. 23, be named and known as Lincoln township.

Trenton—Ordered that all of township No. 61, of range Nor 24, and sections No. 5, 6, 7, 8, 17, 18, 19, 20, 29, 30, 31 and 32 of township 61, of range 23, be known and named as Trenton township.

Jackson—Ordered by the court that all of township No. 60, of range No.24, lying east of Grand River, and sections 7, 8, 17, 18, 19, 20, 29, 31 and 32, of township No. 60, of range No. 23, be named and known as Jackson township.

Jefferson—Ordered by the court that all of township No. 60, of range No. 24, lying west of Grand River, and all of township No. 60, of range No. 25, be known as Jefferson township.
Madison—Ordered that all of township No. 61, of range No. 25, lying west of Grand River be known as Madison township.

Harrison—Ordered that all of township No. 61, of range No. 25, lying east of Grand River, and all of township No. 62, of range No. 25, lying east of Grand River be known as Harrison township.

Washington—Ordered that all that part of township No. 63, of range No. 25, lying east of Grand River, and lying in Grundy county be known as Washington township.

Taylor—Ordered by the court that all that part of township No. 62, of range No. 25, lying west of Grand River, and all that part of township No. 63, of range No. 25, lying west of Grand River, and in Grundy county, Missouri, be known as Taylor township.

These townships with their present metes and bounds constitute the municipal divisions of Grundy county and are correctly represented by a map made by B. F. Thomas, with the exception of the northeast corner of Madison township, which is north and east of Thompson River.

This corner, next to the Trenton township line, is a part of Harrison township,

the Thompson Fork being the township line between Taylor and Madison, and Harrison.

It has been thought by some that the County Court erred in not making the Grand River and East Fork the township line of both Madison and Harrison townships, as was and is that of Jefferson.

The two constitutional amendments were carried at the same time of the township organization—the first by 1,821 to 182, and the second 1,943 to 122 votes against.

As the registration law was in force the county court appointed registers for the several townships,
and the following gentlemen were appointed:
Wilson, F. M. Lawhead;
Marion, Geo. W. Fay ton;
Liberty, S. J. Atkinson;
Myres, Lewis Meyers;
Franklin, T. J. Wyatt;
Lincoln, Edward Chambers;
Trenton, J. M. Leedy;
Jackson, Nathan Arnold;
Jefferson, Robt.; Laird, Madison; And."McClure;
Taylor, Sparks McClure;
Harrison, Isaac Veach;
Washington, Wysom Fox;.

Under this new township organization law five judges were to be elected instead of three—one to be elected at large, and the other four by districts. The election took place in May, 1873, and the question
of license or no license was voted on at the same election.

The Judges elected were:
At large, Judge Valentine Briegel of Lincoln township, and in the districts as follows:
First district, Clement A. Conrad;
Second district, Felix Wild;
Third district, Casy Tate;
Fourth district, Marshall Humphreys;
Judge Briegel being president of the court, or presiding justice.

There was to be a new county judge elected every year, and, therefore, the district judges drew for their respective terms:
Judge Tate, one year;
Judge Wild, two years;
Judge Humphreys, three years,
Judge Conrad, four years; the judge at large holding for the full term of four years.

The liquor question was decided in favor of license by a vote of 714 in favor to 431 against. The spirit of the old pioneer still held sway, and a little for the stomach's sake was not voted a crime.

At the June term the County Court took up the question of license, as the same had been carried by a majority of 283 votes in a poll of about 1,150, and at the above term of the court license was put at the moderate sum of $600 to sell liquor. This was not relished by the saloon men, and they fought against the price vigorously, and viciously in some respects. They claimed that the vote was a majority sufficient to convince the court not only that the people favored license, but no extortionate rates should be demanded. The six months' license having expired in November, that being the time for which licenses were granted, the County Court revised its charge and reduced it to $400, with $50 to the State.

The business of settlement with the collector was decided by the County Court at the October term, 1873, for a monthly settlement, and to further the honesty of both collector and treasurer it was ordered that all county warrants received for taxes, or redeemed at the treasury, should have indorsed on the back of each the amount of principal and interest paid, and the date of such payment.

The belief that the new township organization law would be a boon to the county was more than verified by a much closer collection of taxes, and with far less cost to the county.

This was proven very gratifying to the people, and the ground-work of their faith was in the promptness of P. W. Bain, of Lincoln township, who was collector, the first under the new law..

Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881;
Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack 


Return To

Grundy County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.