Welcome to
Grundy County

Grundy County Military History

Xete El Dorado—A Deficiency—Contest of 1861- Union and Confederate Meetings—The Twenty-Third Missouri—Pittsburg Landing—Field of Shiloh—Death of Tindall— Tribute to his Memory—Eulogy of Woolfolk—Roll of Company B—Confederates— Grundy County Battalion—The Forty-FourthPeace—Blue and the Grey—

The roar of cannons through the mountain gorges and cafions of Mexico, the angry shouts of the combatants, and the glad shout of victory which rang with a glorious sound from one end of our country to another had scarcely died away before the air was freighted with rumors of a land where gold literally covered the earth.

These stories, as they first came to hand, were vague, but Aladdin's lamps shone not more brightly on the wonders of ancient days than these tales assured of when the reality was reached, that gold had been found on that distant shore where the waves of the mighty Pacific lashed in fury when in its wrath, or kissed its pebbled beach when the storm cloud had passed, and he who ruled the storm had spoken, "peace, be still." Then, indeed, was the whole country excited.

The excitement became intense as more definite news came continually to hand, and a perfect stampede took possession of those who were borne away by the wild and wonderful stories of that far-off land. The rush was terrible in the number who left all behind them to gain a fortune in the El Dorado of the West, and still more terrible in the sufferings and death of thousands who never reached the Pacific coast and whose bones, with those of thousands of cattle and horses, whitened the plains which lie between the home they had left and that golden shore.

Men started out on foot, on horseback, with oxen and horses to wagons, some well provided, others not; covered wagons whitened our State, for Independence and St. Joseph were favorite fitting-out places for those who had the money, while the great Santa Fe trail led from the former place. But nearly all who went overland made the soil of Missouri the route to their distant destination and her western border as the starting point, where civilization ended, and the wild country beyond was the great unknown land that’s dark and gloomy portals had to be passed before the light of a golden day would again greet their eyes. The plunge was made, and the discovery of California, that faraway treasure-trove, has left its footprints upon the pages of history in the trials and sufferings of a mighty host, and the death of thousands of brave hearts who suffered all and endured all for their loved ones at home.

Grundy county had her gold-seekers and scores of the bravest and best left in the wild hegira for the land of gold. All who had horses or cattle to sell got a good price for them for they were in demand? Trade seemed to take a new start, but all that was gained failed to compensate for the sturdy men and their outfit which left the country. Some of those who left died on the way; others reached the haven of their hopes, and after years of toil concluded to make it their home. Others returned, some with fortunes and some with none; some in rugged health and others broken and dying, only anxious to reach their homes and loved ones once more before they closed their eyes in death. Not all had their wishes gratified. Those who returned well provided with the "root of all evil" were not slow in letting it be known that they had "made their pile," but just what was the size of the "pile" was one of those things "no fellow” ever could find out. Still, things took a livelier turn; farms were purchased, stock bought and an era of prosperity began to dawn more auspiciously than ever.

A Deficiency:
At this time a full settlement was made with Wm. Thrailkill, ex-sheriff, who was short in his collection for 1843, some ninety dollars. The County Court at their August term ordered suit for its recovery and his sureties paid it. It seems not to have been considered a wrong so much as an error. There were other discrepancies found for small amounts for different years, and all seemed to have been settled by him or his sureties.

In November, 1848, the County Court took a notion to economize, a habit which had become chronic, and concluded not to advertise any more in newspapers but stick up written notices at cross-roads and other public places, and it was so ordered. They granted, at the same term of the court, on November 13, 1848, a ferry license to Samuel Benson, across Grand River, and it went by the name of Benson's Ferry, until after the bridge was built.

In 1849, at the May term, the tax collector had been enabled to collect some back taxes as far back as 1845, and he returned the following sums as evidence of his success:
"Samuel Chesnut, delinquent 1845, State tax, 39 cents; county tax, 78 cents; total, $1.17, paid."
"Edward Williams, delinquent 1845, State tax, 25 cents; county tax, 50 cents; total, 75 cents, paid."
That May term was further noted for cutting all bills against the county down to where it met the bottom point of economy as entertained by the court.

In 1850 three dollars were allowed for taking the census, but there was nothing that could give a clue to just what the census consisted of. Whether this extravagantly paid official just took the enumeration of the population, or included, also, cereals and live stock is not known by any one of this day and generation and must therefore ever remain unknown to history. There was a proposition entertained at the August term, 1850, to sell the old clerk's office and the sheriff was ordered to sell, but he proved either too slow or else purchasers had become painfully scarce, for the sale had not been effected when the court met again and the order was promptly countermanded. A new order of the court caused the same to be repaired as follows: "Brick work repaired, new roof, window, sash and glass, under floor repaired, doors and windows painted with two coats of white lead, shingles to be made of good oak or walnut timber, clear of sap, and to show but five inches to the weather, made full eighteen inches long and five-eighths of an inch thick; plastering, two coats overhead and whitewashed; walls, one coat and whitewashed; also windows, shutters and fastenings, new door, lock, frame, etc." And thus the old clerk's office was made new and it stood until a fire a few years later consigned it to ashes with most of its contents, and with all the records of the probate court to that date.

In 1850 it was decided to close the grand jury room and bar all secret societies from its use, and all the benches, tables, etc., taken to be returned at once under penalty of the law. This order seemed to have had the desired effect for nothing more was heard of the matter.

The Circuit Court turned out a batch of indictments at the April term, 1850, and among the number was one against John Forkner, for assault with intent to kill, but the charge not being sustained, the attorney entered a nol. pros.

It was in November, 1850, that grand jurors got tired of serving at fifty cents a day and petitioned to have the salary raised to one dollar per day, but the petition was rejected. No such extravagant salaries would be paid; not, in the language of the day, if the court knew herself, and the unfortunate foreman of the grand jury retired, abashed, while the court expressed itself astonished at his presumption. And so a grand juryman was compelled to grind out indictments and board himself at fifty cents a day. It will be admitted by the most unprejudiced reader that the bankruptcy of Grundy county was not imminent on the score of high salaries.

Still, the grand jury did its work and in the following spring ground out eight indictments for playing and betting on cards, and in the fall turned out twelve more, seven who had sinned against the law of God and man by betting at cards, three more for not attending to their duties as road overseers and failing to repair roads, and two for assault with intent to kill. This work was all at the usual rate of fifty cents per day and find yourself.

Mr. Jeremiah Snyder of the County Court resigned at this November term, 1852, and Mr. Giles Songer was appointed county judge in his place. The old county road to the upper ferry, from the west limits of Trenton, was vacated, being seldom used. It took fifty days to take the census of Grundy county in 1853, seventy-five dollars was allowed for the job, and it was paid to W. C. Harvey. That same year Mr. J. T. Tindall was appointed to investigate and to settle the county affairs between Mercer and Grundy counties, there being due some moneys from Grundy on account of taxes, etc. This was satisfactorily accomplished within a reasonable time. There was nothing further of special interest occurred in the .county. Matters had become quiet, the returned Californians would now and then report, and many would leave for that far-off land every year.

At the April term of the County Court, 1853, the following order was made in reference to swamp lands:
Ordered by the Court. That John C. Griffin, of Grundy county, Missouri, be allowed as full compensation for his services as selecting agent the sum of four cent* per acre for each acre selected, designated and reported by him as overflowed land granted to the State of Missouri by an act of Congress, entitled "an act to enable the State of Arkansas and other States to reclaim the swamp lands within their limits," approved, September 28, 1850, for all such lands situated in the county of Grundy, which may be confirmed to the State and made subject to the management of the County Court of said Grundy county, as provided by an act of the legislature, approved March 3, 1851, to be paid out of the first proceeds of the sales of such lands: provided, he shall not receive pay for more than 35,000 acres.

In April, 1854, the county purchased the "field notes" and "plats" of lands lying in Grundy county of B. F. Thomas and allowed him eighty-five dollars for the same. That year was the first that a temperance move was inaugurated, by petition, and then John H. Shanklin presented a petition signed by a majority of the tax-payers against granting licenses to dram shops for a year. The petition was approved and no licenses were granted. That year Judge Gamble of the Supreme Court resigned and an election was ordered in Grundy county to come off in January, 1855, to vote for a successor.

An order had been made by the County Court against the occupation of the court-house by the different lodges in Trenton as their place of meeting. It seems they had taken possession and had not given a quid pro quo and the court put a stop to it. The lodges felt the loss of their free room, and so lodge No. I11 of Freemasons rented the use of the grand jury room, when not used as such, as their lodge room at an annual rental of twenty-five dollars.

In February, 1856, Jas. Austin resigned the position of county treasurer and Geo. M. Cooper was appointed, and John C. Griffin was appointed county attorney in place of J. T. Tindall, resigned, in March, 1854.

John M. McDonald resigned the probate judgeship and Stephen Peerv was appointed his successor. A court of appeals was held August 17. Roth of these incidents transpiring in 1857.

The attempt in July, 1858, to divide Liberty and Marion townships into three townships failed.
J. II. Cooper, Thos. J. Proctor and Wm. Collier were appointed a committee to superintend the erection of the county jail and were also given the power to select the spot on the public square where it should be placed.

Under an arrangement for the assessment of the county it was, in January, 1858, divided into four districts, and the following describes their boundaries as fixed:  It is ordered by the Court, That Grundy county be divided into four districts for the purpose of assessments; to-wit, District No. 1 commencing at the northeast comer of Grundy county, thence west to the range line dividing ranges 23 and 24, thence south to the northeast corner of township 61, range 24, on said range line, thence east on the township line dividing township 62, range 23, and township 62, range 22. from township 61, range 23, and township 61, range 22, thence north to the line of beginning.

The court-house square was ordered enclosed with a paling fence in the fall of 1859, and an oak plank walk ordered laid down. The purchase of two large box stoves was decided upon and they cost the sum of $45.82. This closed the extra expenses for that year.

The year 1860 was a fruitful one as regards the crops. Cereals and fruit gave abundant returns, and at no period of our country's history was it more prosperous. But in the fall and winter of 1860-61 came the first muttering of a storm which was to deluge our land with blood, and to bring grief to the homes and firesides of our glorious and prosperous land.

The year 1861 will go down in history as the opening year in the dark drama where American freemen, instead of uniting to build up a fraternal brotherhood of States, caused the land to become a battle-field of contending hosts, and our favored and prosperous country to be drenched with the life blood of her people. The angel of peace had taken her flight and the demon of hate held high carnival over the death struggles of brave men. Once more was the "Land of the Free" to seal her devotion to liberty in the blood of her martyred sons. The brave and heroic deeds of the sons of freedom were given an additional luster, but at enormous cost, while the wails of agony went up from the hearts of millions of people, and the lives of thousands were given freely, a sacrifice upon the altar of their country. The people of today can look more leniently upon the action and motives of those who, in the madness of the hour brought dire distress and sorrow to the land, yet no blush of shame mantles the cheek, for right or wrong, they fought as only brave men fight, and so far as in that fierce conflict man met man in hostile array, it was no crime. The crimes committed lay at the door of those at home, who, while brave men were defending the very portals of liberty, engendered hatred and malice, preached the gospel of hate, and committed those crimes of which history has but imperfect record, and whose appalling atrocities are branded deep in the hearts and memories of the families and friends of the victims.

Grundy County, at the outset of the war, was pretty evenly divided in sentiment, but as time passed, the ringing cry of the "Union forever" soon placed the Federal power in a majority, and when the news came that Sumter had fallen, the time had also come for the upholders of the Union to express more openly their sentiments and determination. Among the rising men of the day, there came to the front one of those men of which heroes are made. Prompt in action, strong of will, with the spirit of a patriot to draw others to his belief, he promptly took the lead. This man was J. T. Tindall. Then others at once rallied to his standard, and the cause of the Union took new life. Jewett Norris, Geo. H. Hubbell, J. T. Tindall, J. H. Shanklin, R. A. DeBolt and Andrew Shanklin took the stump and traveling over the surrounding counties they addressed the people, defending the Union with burning words and with matchless eloquence, calling on them to stand by it and prevent its severance.

In May, 1861, two meetings were called, one to be addressed by those favoring the Confederate cause, the other for the Union. The latter showed by far the largest assembly, and from that day the Union advocates took courage. The formation of a regiment was at once determined upon, and the recruiting went briskly on and continued during the last of July and in August, 1861. On August 25th seven companies had been raised and were in Trenton on that day, as was, also, a company of Morrill's Horse from Davies and Harrison Counties.

An election of officers took place and Jacob T. Tindall, of Trenton, Grundy County, was elected Colonel. Jacob Smith, of Linn County, was elected Lieutenant-Colonel, but was not commissioned as he was appointed judge of this judicial circuit, and Quin Morton was selected in his place. John McCullough, of Sullivan County, who proved a brave man and an able officer, was elected Major. R. A. DeBolt acting as recruiting officer. In the formation of company B, raised in Grundy County, and numbering ninety-six men and officers, R. A. DeBolt was elected Captain; Stephen Peery, First Lieutenant, who resigned on being promoted to Adjutant; Samuel Rooks, Second Lieutenant, but promoted to First Lieutenant, taking the post vacated by the promotion of Peery. Benjamin F. Harding became Second Lieutenant, and this is the way the company stood at the Battle of Shiloh, which so nearly destroyed it. Captain DeBolt, First Lieutenant, Rooks and Second Lieutenant. Harding resigned after being exchanged.

June 7th, 1862, at the reorganization of the Twenty-third, Wm. P. Robinson, of Harrison County, became Colonel; J. M. Nash, Captain of Company B, with Orville Moberly First Lieutenant and Robt. A. Collier Second Lieutenant.

August 26, 1861, these troops arrived at Chillicothe, where the election as above stated took place and the regiment named The Twenty-Third Regiment of Volunteer Infantry of Missouri. From there they went into camp near Brookfield until ordered to St. Louis, where they received their arms and accounterments and were mustered into service September 1st, 1861. They left St. Louis for Macon City October 15th, and remained in the latter city until November 1st, and then were ordered to winter at Chillicothe. Recruiting continued, and in January, 1862, their full complement of ten companies and 1,000 men was secured and the officers received their commissions.

In February, 1862, delegates were elected to the State convention to be held the following June, and Colonel Tindall was the choice of the people of Grundy County to represent them, but it was a position he was never destined to fill. In March Colonel Tindall received orders to report with his regiment at St. Louis, and he arrived there and reported to the commanding officer and took quarters at Benton Barracks. The men were re-clothed and new arms given them, and on April 1st, being in fine condition, they were ordered to Pittsburg Landing and reported to General Grant, who ordered them to the brigade of General
B. M. Prentiss, to whom Colonel Tindall reported.

They had reached Pittsburg Landing on the 4th of April, unloaded and prepared to join Prentiss's brigade on the 5th. On the morning of the 6th they were ready for duty and met the enemy on the Field Of Shiloh, one of the bloodiest of the war. The scene of carnage was fearful; the demon of war was in his glory, and when the sun set that day it cast its fruitful rays of light through the trees upon the body of as brave a man and as noble heart as ever beat in the cause of the Union. Between four and five o'clock the gallant Colonel of the Twenty-third Missouri, who had been in the heat of the struggle all day, his regiment still fairly surrounded by his foes and sadly decimated, the dead and wounded lying around him, like a stag at bay, was still making a heroic stand.

Begrimed by the smoke of battle, he made one more desperate attempt to fight his way out, and cheering his men on, who stood unflinchingly by their lion-hearted Colonel, he led the last charge and fell, pierced by the messenger of death upon the battlefield, and the going down of the sun on the evening of the 6th of April, 1862, upon the field of Shiloh, set while the death-rattle sounded, and the noble spirit ceased its fluttering and was borne across the dark waters to a brighter and more glorious day. And thus went out the life of Grundy's noblest son.

“Rest on! Embalmed and sainted dead! Dear as the blood ye gave;
No impious footsteps here shall tread the herbage of your grave;
Nor shall your glory be forgot while Fame her record keeps,
or honor points the hallowed spot. Where Valor proudly sleeps."

The gallant Twenty-third had made a glorious record upon that gory field, and when night came on, little was left to tell the tale of its dire destruction. Of company B, what few who were not killed upon the field of battle were prisoners in Confederate hands, and the Twenty-third was known no more until late in the fall of 1862, when it was re-organized. It went into the battle fully 1,000 strong on the morning of the 6th of April. It was attached to Prentiss's brigade, who stood the first shock of battle, the terrible onset of the Confederates, and when night came not three hundred men could be found to answer roll-call.

The State convention which was held at Jefferson City, commencing June 2, 1862, paid a glowing and manly tribute to the memory of the gallant Tindall, who was a member-elect of that body. Colonel J. H. Shanklin, elected to take his place as a member of the convention, after his death with the gifted and eloquent Woolfolk, Breckinridge and Stewart, all spoke of him, who knowing his duty performed it so nobly and well. Below is given the resolutions passed by the convention, and the beautiful, glowing, but just tribute of the impassioned Woolfolk to the memory of the lamented dead.

On the 3d day of June, 1862, at the afternoon session of the Missouri State convention, Mr. Woolfolk, of Livingston County, presented the following resolutions in reference to the death of Col. Tindall:

Whereas, the calamities of war have deprived this convention and the country of the services on this floor of Colonel Jacob T. Tindall, who fell at the head of his regiment on Sunday, the 6th day of April, 1862, on the battlefield of Shiloh; therefore, be it

Resolved, that in the death of Colonel Tindall this convention has lost a valued member, whose intellect and energy, patriotism and conservative views rendered him an able and efficient member of this body. That by his untimely fall the nation has lost a devoted patriot in the hour of her peril, the army a prudent commander, the society in which he moved an ornament and his family an affectionate husband and father.

Resolved, that in testimony of our appreciation of the deceased and from due regard to his memory, this convention will now adjourn until tomorrow morning at 9 o'clock, and that the members wear the usual badge of mourning during the present session.

Resolved, that we tender the condolence of the members of this body to the family and immediate friends of Colonel Tindall in their sad bereavement; that these resolutions be spread upon the journal of this convention, and that a copy thereof be prepared by the secretary and forwarded to Mrs. Emeline Tindall, the wife of the deceased.

"Mr. President—it has become my sad and unexpected duty to present these resolutions upon this floor. I deem them only a proper tribute to the memory of one of this body who has gone from our midst—who has fallen in the discharge of his duty as a patriot and soldier.

"The deceased united in himself many of those qualities which win our admiration and love. He was sincere, honest and generous, and full of that noble modesty which, united to a proper self-respect, lends such a charm to merit. Born in Kentucky, in 1825, his parents removed to Howard County, Missouri, during his early youth, and afterward removed to Grundy County when he reached the age of eighteen years. As a youth he was much loved in the county in which he lived. He was quiet, unassuming and diligent in the prosecution of his studies.

"When the Mexican War broke out he at once enlisted and served with honor in the position of Sergeant-Major and acting adjutant of his regiment. When the war was over he commenced the practice of law in his own County of Grundy, and soon won for himself a proud name in his own and adjoining counties. His integrity, his close application to business, and his fine, discriminating intellect made him one of the most successful advocates in the Grand River Valley. The masses possessed entire confidence in his honesty, and this fact gave him a power before juries which few others possessed. He had for several years prior to our national difficulties stood at the head of his profession in the Grand River Valley. At the very commencement of this revolution he took a bold stand in favor of the Union, and when the convention was called he was elected by an overwhelming majority to this body.

When Sumter fell and the American nation was called to arms, he was among the first to rally at the call of his country. I well remember an evening passed with him about this period. It was just after the Camp Jackson affair. The military bill had been passed and Union men were falling away by hundreds. Everywhere in the State confusion was reigning. False reports as to the policy of the government were flying over the country. No Union man felt secure. The iron hand of rebellion was upon us; and a rebel government had been erected in our midst. I was gloomy—almost despondent. In my own city of Chillicothe two-thirds of the citizens had suddenly become avowed secessionists, and the remaining one-third, with but few exceptions, occupied ambiguous positions. Tindall came to our city just at this period, on his way to St. Joseph. He came to my office and announced that the time had come when we must fight on one side or the other.

The Union men must abandon their principles and enlist under the military bill as passed by the legislature, or they must organize to resist it. Brigadier-General Slack had just offered him the position of brigade inspector, with the provison that if he did not like the place he should have any other he desired. But Tindall, true to his principles, unhesitatingly refused his offers. 'I have made up my mind,' said he to me,' to resist this military bill and battle on the side of my government, but I dislike to be alone in my opposition. I am going to St. Joseph for the purpose of seeing if the Union men there and elsewhere will act with me in my resistance to treason.' I admired his bold, decisive conduct. I felt that nature had destined him for a leader, and I unhesitatingly pledged him my support, even if I should stand alone.

"After raising his regiment, he was for several months stationed in the City of Chillicothe, and his conservative course had a great influence toward restoring peace to that distracted section. The ultras who desired to use the strong arm of military power for the purpose of gratifying revengeful passions, found in him no friend, and he pursued unwaveringly the path of conservatism, regardless of the clamor of men who called for acts of violence and wrong. The ultras endeavored for a time to weaken his influence by charges that he was courting favor with the secessionists, and I shall never forget his noble reply when he heard these charges. 'They may call me what they please, but they shall not induce me to do what I believe to be wrong.'

He was loved by all good men, regardless of party; all felt secure under his authority as long as they respected the constitution and the laws. And when his bleeding remains were borne from the battlefield of Shiloh, good men of all parties followed him weeping to the grave. He was one of those noble men whom we often meet during these struggles, and whom I always admire. Born in the South, he was not a Union man from any hostility to slavery, or from any sympathy with Northern States in opposition to Southern States. He was a Union man from principle and patriotism. He abandoned his section for the sake of his country; but by his country he meant his whole country—not the northern half of it—and he loved it all, from ocean to ocean and from the lakes to the gulf.

'He has given the noblest proof of his patriotism, for he has made the last only sacrifice a patriot can make for his country. He led his gallant regiment upon the bloody field of Shiloh, and belonging to Prentiss' brigade, they stood the first shock of battle. During the entire day of the 6th of April, the gallant men of the Twenty-third Missouri were in the thickest of the fight and nobly stood their ground against superior numbers. About 4 o'clock in the evening Tindall fell, at the head of his regiment. I mourn his loss but I could not ask for him a nobler fate. 'Dulce et decorum, pro patria more.' "If there was a spot upon the green earth where the patriot should desire to breathe out his spirit, that spot should be the battlefield of Shiloh. It will live in history as one of those fields

'Where life is lost, or freedom won'; and around it will cluster those imperishable memories that gather about such names as Bunker Hill, Thermopylas and Marathon. Life is nothing; it is the manner we spend that life. The patriot never dies too soon who falls in the defense of his country; but lives too long, if he survives to wander amid its ruins. No: I could ask no nobler fate for the lamented dead! He knew no feeble sunset; no slow wasting away of life; no emaciated form; no dismal chamber of disease; but he fell at once in the pride of his strength, like some green oak shivered by the lightning's touch. He sank upon the tented field, with the blue sky above him and the starry banner for his winding sheet; and his gallant spirit mounted aloft from a death-bed of fame, as the free mountain bird soars to its eerie. He has gone, but gone in glory. With us remains the dirge—with him has ascended the peace of triumph. He fell in the vigor of life, in the noon of his fame just as he saw the star of his destiny dawning brightly from the sky of fate.

His last words that were heard ringing along the burning lines of battle, .were words cheering on his men to the conflict. He fell as a patriot and a hero would desire to fall—at the head of his regiment, with the mighty hosts of freedom battling around him, and the wild thunder of battle ringing upon his dying ear.
"The remains of the lamented Tindall have been removed to his home near Trenton, in Grundy County, Missouri, and there he reposes amid the scenes of his early labors and triumphs. He sleeps in the quiet village churchyard, away from the busy hum of life—far away from the thunder of conflict, and no clarion note will ever more disturb his slumbers or call him forth to battle. Let us hope that, "after life's fitful fever, he sleeps well." No proud mausoleum marks his resting place, and he needs none. His noblest monument has already been erected in the hearts of his fellow citizens. His lonely grave will long be treasured in their memories, and will be a sacred shrine to which votaries will often wander. Peace to his ashes. May the undying laurel of glory grow green over his grave!

"When I remember, sir, all the gallant dead that have fallen in this war, 1 feel that this government should be preserved in justice to their sacrifices if 'from no other motive. We cannot abandon this struggle—we cannot submit to a division of the Union without a wrong, a deep and burning wrong, to the noble men who have sacrificed their lives to preserve the integrity of this government. Shall they fall in vain? No, sir: it must not be! Let us swear by our gallant dead that we will preserve this temple of liberty as our fathers made it; or, if all is vain, that we will clasp its crumbling columns and perish amid the wreck.

"Mr. President, the traveler through the Grand River Valley is struck with its desolate appearance. The country looks dreary and deserted. The farm-houses are often empty; the villages are destitute of their teeming population, and that once beautiful and populous region is almost as lonely as the grave. Where, sir, have the gallant men of that region gone? Go to your armies of the Union and you will find them there. When Tindall raised his regiment, the gallant men of Grundy, Harrison, Linn, Sullivan, Putnam, Mercer, Daviess and Livingston, rallied at once to his standard. They flocked to the banner of their country, abandoning their farms in secession neighborhoods, and leaving their property at the mercy of jayhawkers. When the Eighteenth and Twenty-fifth regiments were raised, the same counties poured out their loyal hundreds and soon filled them to the maximum. When the State militias were called for, the young men of these counties were almost all in the field, but true to their patriotic impulses, the old men turned out and at once filled the First and Third regiments of Missouri cavalry.

"Sir, the gallant men of this section need no eulogy from me. The bones of their heroic dead are bleaching upon every battlefield of the West. Tindall, one of their Colonels, sleeps in the village churchyard in Grundy county, Missouri. Peabody, the colonel of the Twenty-fifth regiment, reposes amid the green hills of his New England home. The colonel of the Eighteenth regiment, and McCullough, the gallant Major of the Twenty-third, together with many of their brave officers and men, are now incarcerated in Southern prisons, because too fearless to turn their backs upon the foe when deserted by other regiments who should have stood with them in the hour of danger. But many, very many of these gallant men have left their bones to bleach upon the plains of Shiloh. While other States have recorded the valor of their slain, these noble men have gone down to the grave without an epitaph. No marble monuments are over them—no trump of fame breathed its elegant tones over their graves, but they sleep amid the wild scenery of Tennessee, far from their loved ones, and in a foeman's land, with no kindly hand to scatter the flowers of affection upon their tombs, and with only the whistling winds and the chirping wild birds to chant their mournful requiem. But let them sleep on. They could find no nobler bed than the field of their fame, for it will “be hallowed by a nation's gratitude and a nation's tears."

Company B, from Grundy county was badly cut up—quite a number were killed and a larger number wounded. Below are the names of the gallant men who composed company B, and who shed such luster not only upon Grundy County, but to the noble regiment in which they served:

Captain, R.A. DeBolt.
First Lieutenant, Samuel Rooks.
Second Lieutenant, Stephen Peery.
Orderly Sergeant, Rich. Smith.
Benj. C. Eddy.
F. W. Lowen.
Martin Eagan.
Benj. House.
Thomas Torpey.
R.A. Collier.
W.T. Wisdom
A. Reynolds.
Ed. Gray.
J.W. Babb.
Wm. Rooks.
Jos. Rooks.
Silas Parres.
Jos. Moore.
Sidney Moore.
Clay McCord.
T.L. Baulser.
B.F. Harding.
Orvile Moberly.
John Phillips.
Harvey Brazier.
W. B. Scott.
Bose Nichols.
Benj. Nichols.
Chas. Brown.
Jonathan Knightly.
John Channie.
W. C. Kirk.
Thos. Kirk.
Press Kirk.
Samuel Kirk.
Francis Kirk.
Rich. Fleshman.
Wm. Parr.
Owen Smith.
Marion Sprout.
W. T. Sprout.
Marion Jones.
Henry Jones.
Jos. Jones.
A. F. Slocum.
Edgar Funk.
Carl Leach.
Rich. T. Blew.
Marvin Scott.
H. H. Shelton.
Columbus Thompson.
Thos. Farrell.
Allen Smith.
Samuel Smith.
Levi Rinker.
Frank Rook.
Ped McThaney.
John Fleshman.
Samuel Fleshman.
David Bravenstot.
Harvey B Raiser.
Geo. Leslie.
Benj. Leslie.
Labor Rickets.
John Pratt.
Seth Hathaway.
Michael Crisman.
Hans Crisman.
Wm. Long.
Thos. Long.
Solomon Johnson.
Daniel Lomax.
Jno. W. Lomax.
Ed. Henderson.
Alfred Gardener.
James Scott.
Hiram Johnson.
Hiram Morris.
Samuel Crisman.
Jas. Tobbert.
Sol. Skagg.
W. C. Vorris.
George Blew.
Hiram Scott.
Benj. Scott.
Chas. Cash.
Calvin Bridges.
James Petree.
Wm. Petree.
James Davis.
John Davis.
Calvin Slover.
Jas. Wheeler.
Wm. Flesher.

The first man wounded in the company was W. I. Sprout, and the first killed was Owen Smith.
The history of the Twenty-Third regiment on its re-organization is connected with that of the Fourteenth army corps. It participates in the battle of Murfreesboro, Tenn., in the Atlanta campaigns and was with Sherman in his march to the sea.

There were no companies formed in this county for the Confederate service and no record kept of those who joined the South. Captain Coleman recruited a few men here in 1861, and with the best information, after the most searching inquiry, there seems to have been about two hundred men from this county to join the Confederate cause. They were not recruited, except those who joined Captain Coleman's company, but generally left in small squads, from five to twenty, and made their way to the South.

Capt. Jacob Bain, of Lincoln township, raised a company in Mercer county and came down to Lincoln, his old home, and recruited others from among his old acquaintances until his company numbered 183 men. They camped awhile at Edinburgh and then went to Chillicothe, where they were mustered in Colonel Clark's regiment.

The above battalions were six months' militia, and were mustered into service in October, 1861. They remained at their several camps, with an occasional drill, until November, 1861, when they were organized and found service in breaking up sundry secession encampments, and acting as scouts and skirmishers for the various regiments encamped in the neighborhood. They were sent to Chillicothe, where they remained until they were mustered out. They numbered 269 men, rank and file. There were in all five companies, and officered as follows:

Walter King, lieutenant-colonel;
major; James Cooper, surgeon;
W. W. Hubbell, adjutant;
Jewett Morris, quartermaster.
The companies were not lettered but had the following officers. There was no roll of the men:
First company—
Captain, Jas. H. Creighton;
First Lieutenant, Franklin Froman;
Second Lieutenant, Perry Froman.

Second company—
Captain, Sam'l M. Haycroft;
First Lieutenant, Henry V. Stutt;
Second Lieutenant, Wm. Dunlap.

Third company—
Captain, E. L. Winters;
First Lieutenant, Wm. Rnoker;
Second Lieutenant, Sam'l J. Warner.

Fourth company—
Captain, Martin B. Garvin;
First Lieutenant, P. H. Yakey;
Second Lieutenant, W. W. Hubbell.

Fifth company—Captain, E. A. Morton;
First Lieutenant, George Longhead;
Second Lieutenant, James Martin.

The Forty-fourth regiment of State militia was organized and enrolled for service in October, 1862, and W. B. Rogers was Commanding Colonel of the same November 5th, his commission dating from October 24, 1862. The regiment numbered 516 men, 46 officers, and was in service 25 days.

It was not until August, 1862, that the members of the Twenty-third Missouri regiment were gotten together for re-organization. Those who were prisoners, and others that came back, in all about 250, were again placed in rank and the regiment recruited up to a fair number and went at once into active service. There were but a few Grundy County men in the new organization outside of company B. The regiment was a fighting regiment from its first organization. Wm. and R. A. Collier, Moberly, Torpey, in fact all of the original company not killed or wounded was in the regiment, excepting those who resigned. The regiment did duty in different parts of the State as provost-guard until July 3rd, when it was ordered to Vicksburg, but as that post fell July 4th they did not go, but went to Rolla to guard and cut out timber for a fort. In November they were ordered to report to General Rosseau and became a part of his brigade in the fight around Nashville, and from there took part in the siege of Atlanta, where the regiment was badly cut up. Previous to the Atlanta siege the regiment had been transferred to General Turchin's command, a part of the Fourteenth army corps. They were in North Alabama a while at Galeville, and marched from thence to Rome, Ga., on to Kingston, some fifty odd miles north of west of Atlanta. They remained there until Sherman was ready to start on his memorable march to the sea and became a part of that army.

The regiment was mustered out at Washington, D. C, June 10, 1865. Besides this regiment there were quite a number of Grundy County men connected with the Eighteenth and the Thirty-fifth regiments of volunteer infantry, and also the Seventh Missouri State militia.

The Forty-fourth regiment was organized in August, 1854, and it was the expectation they were to remain in Missouri and become a sort of home guard to protect the State from the raids of jayhawkers and organized bands of thieves, but they counted badly, for they were immediately ordered to the front. Even before fully recruited they were ordered to Rolla.

In November the regiment was ordered to Paducah, Kentucky, where they arrived on the 16th, with nearly one-third of its members sick and unfit for duty. Those who were able were sent out to meet rebel cavalry. From Paducah they went to Columbia, Tenn., and were placed under General Schofield in the Twenty-third army corps. They took part in the battle at Franklin, where they suffered heavy loss and fell back on Nashville, at which place they arrived Dec. 1st, 1864. They were joined to General A. J. Smith's corps from Sept. 3rd until mustered out at St. Louis, August 15th, 1865.

They had been in several engagements in Mississippi and Alabama, and had been down the river to New Orleans and from there to Montgomery, Alabama. From Tuskegee they were ordered to St. Louis. There is no roll of the Grundy county men who composed a part of this regiment. Two of Trenton's prominent citizens were in it, Liezin A. DeBolt as Major; W. B. Rogers, then of Princeton, Mercer county, Captain of company D, and M. A. Winters, Captain company K; Jas. Overman, First Lieutenant, and Sam'l Warner, who was killed at the battle near Columbia, Tenn., November 29,1864.

There was an enrollment of all able-bodied men subject to military duty in January, 1865, and the following named persons were appointed as enrolling officers. The number found was not reported, or if so the record has not been kept.

They started on their duty January 4th:
"W. Dillon, T. J. Clawson and W. B. Dillon, Marion township;
E. L. Winters, John Rolls and Wm. Tolle, Liberty township;
C. H. Cornwell, Wm. Wyatt and W. V. Denslow, Franklin township;
C. Burgess, G. A. Spickard and John McHarque, Washington township;
W. B. Grubb, W. W. Metcalf and A. R. Tate, Madison township;
Joseph Lucas, W. H. Turner and L. Chenowith, Jefferson township;
A. Y. Shanklin, J. S. Estes, J. B. Thomas. Trenton township."

Such is the record of Grundy County in the late civil war, and is a concise history of all that can be found in reference thereto, and is carefully confined to the facts. . Many personal incidents might be recorded, but would not be of general interest and are therefore left out. The record altogether is one to be proud of and Grundy County upon the battlefield for the preservation of the Union acted a noble part.

The war cloud had passed, but it had left a trail red with the blood of the sons of freedom; yet had peace come, and the land so lately render by strife and raging hosts of armed men. now lay quiet, bathing in the soft sunlight of a spring day, and hope, the white winged messenger of despairing hearts, came in silent gladness to the people once more. The Blue and the Gray had met in mortal strife; they now meet as brothers. The country has suffered and passed through a trying ordeal, but liberty remains unscathered. Let us hope that the future of our country may never again be in the throes of a fratricidal strife, and that peace and brotherly love may be upon the banner of those who shall now and in all future time guide the destinies of this great republic. Strong, solid and as enduring as the rock of ages, its principles founded upon the rights of the people for self-government, holding out its hands in welcome to the oppressed of all nations, the "Blue and Gray" unite once more in bonds of fraternal union, and standing side by side will ever guard the portals of liberty from all foes. And thus standing side by side as brothers, there is nothing more appropriate to close the record of the past than the beautiful tribute of Francis Miles Finch, at Arlington:


By the flow of the inland river, whence the fleets of iron had fled, Where the blades of the green-grass quiver. Asleep are the ranks of the dead; Under the sod and the dew, Waiting the judgment day; Under the one, the Blue; Under the other, the Gray. Those in the robbing of glory, Those in the gloom of defeat.
All with the battle blood gory, In the dusk of eternity meet; Under the sod and the dew, Waiting the judgment day; Under the laurel, the Blue; Under the willow, the Gray. From the silence of sorrowful hours, The desolate mourners go, Lovingly laden with flowers, Alike for the friend and the foe; Under the sod and the dew, Waiting the judgment day; Under the rose, the Blue; Under the lilies, the Gray. So with an equal splendor. The morning sun-rays fall; With a touch impatiently tender, On the blossoms blooming for all; Under the sod and the dew, Waiting the judgment day; Bordered with gold, the Blue; Mellowed with gold, the Gray. So when the Summer calleth. On forest and field of grain. With an equal murmur falleth. The cooling drip of the rain; Under the sod and the dew, Waiting the judgment day; Wet with rain, the Blue, Wet with rain, the Gray. Sadly, but not with upbraiding, The generous deed was done; In the storm of years now fading No braver battle was won; Under the sod and the dew, Waiting the judgment day; Under the blossoms, the Blue; Under the Irelands. the (Jray. No more shall the war-cry sever, Or the winding river be red; They banish our anger forever, When they laurel the graves of our dead. Under the sod and the dew, Waiting the judgment day; Love and tears for the Blue: Tears and love for the Gray.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack  

Return To

Grundy County


Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.