HARRISON COUNTY MISSOURI
BIOGRAPHIES "A"


John S. Allen. John S. Allen (6-26-1814---12-13-1893) was indelibly entwined in the founding and growth of Bethany.  The native of Overton County, Tenn. came with relatives and friends to Harrison County in June, 1841 by wagon train before the county was organized.  He married Nancy Childress in 1835 in Illinois.  John S. Allen was ordained a minister in 1839 and became the first minister of the new settlers when they met at white oak grove six miles southwest of Bethany.

In August, 1841, 20 settlers organized the "Disciples" as the Big Creek Church which was reorganized as the Bethany Christian Church in 1845 during the same year that Pastor Allen proposed the name of the town (Dallas) be changed to Bethany.  Allen was appointed county seat commissioner in 1845 by the County Court to survey and sell lots in Dallas.   In 1846 he was the Circuit and County Clerk for the county.

John S. Allen engaged in the mercantile business in 1848 and in 1851 erected a frame building on Central Street.  It burned in 1864.
source: Harrison County Bicentennial History-

WILLIAM ALEXANDER
is a native of Ireland, and was born September 11, 1811.  His parents, John and Elizabeth (Booth) Alexander, were natives of North Ireland, and in 1822 immigrated to New York City.  He was a man of good education, and from New York went to Pittsburgh, Penn, where he taught school.  After teaching school in Wayne County, Ohio, a few months, he went to Coshocton County, Ohio, and engaged inf arming until his death.  He served as justice of the peace in his township, and lived to be over eighty years of age.  William Alexander is the eldest of a family of eight children, six of whom are supposed to be living.  He was reared in his native country and in Ohio, but as his father was poor received but a limited education.  After becoming eighteen years of age he engaged in boating for about three years and then made his home with his father until his marriage to Miss Sarah Gardner, a native of Pennsylvania, by whom fourteen children have been born, nine of whom are living, and all married save McClelland.  Mr. Alexander lived in Mason County, Ill., for sixteen years after his marriage, and then came to Harrison County, Mo., where, after giving liberally to his children, he now owns 105 acres of good land.  He enlisted in the Mexican War, but was not engaged in active service.  His son, John, was a soldier in the Rebellion, and for his services now receives a pension.  Mr. Alexander is now over seventy-six years of age, and has been a life long Democrat.  Himself and wife are enterprising citizens, and highly respected.
Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Missouri, Goodspeed Publishing, 1888

DANIEL S. ALVORD who died at his home in Bethany, October 10,1900, was the son of a Baptist minister.  At the age of twenty he decided to adopt the profession of law and was admitted to the bar in Carthage, Illinois, in 1858.  During the war he served in Company E, 146th Illinois Infantry.  he came to Missouri in 1865, first locating at Chillicothe, then in Bethany.  He was prosecuting attorney from 1867 until 1877.  Mr. Alvord was a member of G.A.R. and I.O.O.F. He was one of the county's ablest legal practitioners and was an entertaining and public spirited citizen.
Transcribed From:HISTORY OF NORTHWEST MISSOURI PROMINENT PIONEERS EDITED BY: WALTER WILLIAMS ASSISTED BY:  ADVISORY AND CONTRIBUTING EDITORS
COPYRIGHT: 1915 submitted by: Melody Beery


HENRY ANDERSONslave:
William Anderson, wealthy planter, moved to Missouri from Hart County, Kentucky, in 1855.  They brought with them a retinue of slaves and settled in the north part of the county in the Oland-Otterbein neighborhood.  At one time he owned over a thousand acres of land there.

Among the slaves were Henry Anderson and his mother, "Aunt Cynthia".  The old Negro lady passed away about three years after coming to Missouri.  Henry continued to live with the Anderson household until he was about 25 years old.  It is not known just how many years he held the status of slave.

After the death of Mr. and Mrs. William Anderson, Henry went to Kansas and "proved up" on a claim.  Selling the land for about $1,000.00 he returned to Missouri to live at the home of Joe Anderson, son of his former master.  Here he made his home for twenty-five years.  Henry was a hard worker, honest and thrifty.  He finally acquired 80 acres of farm land east of the Otterbien Church.  He lived 70 years in Harrison County.  He died July 23, 1927 and left a will giving first recognition to the family who reared him....one thousand dollars each to the two surviving sons of his master.  The remainder of the estate was divided equally between the Oland Church LDS and Otterbein, United Brethern.  The land was valued at $75.00 per acre and the estated appraised at $8,200.00.  Henry was a faithful member of the Oland Church and attended regularly.  His funeral was held there and well attended as a well loved member of the community.  He was buried in the Eagleville Cemetery.
transcribed by Melody Beery,source: Harrison County Bicentennial History-

James P. Anderson-was born May 8, 1835, in De Witt County, Ill.  In 1853 he immigrated with his parents to Red Rock, Iowa, where with his father he engaged in the mercantile business, two years later going to Harrison County, Mo., where he again entered the mercantile business, in Eagleville.  In 1858 he built the Eagleville House, which he ran for seven years; then, in 1866, founded the Eagleville Nurseries, which he successfully carried on for eleven years.  Buying the Princeton Mills he moved to Mercer County, in 1884, and built the Princeton Woolen Mills, which he still  successfully runs.  In 1887 he took out the old buhrs from the flouring mill, and replaced them with the most modern system of rolls.  Mr. Anderson devotes his entire attention at this time to the management of the factory and mills.  Politically he is a Democrat, although during the war voted with the Republicans, never wavering in his devotion to the Union.  He was captain of Company L, Fifty-seventh East Missouri Militia, and while in this service, in 1863, lost his right arm by accident.  He was nominated by the Democratic party in 1886 for representative of Mercer County, but owing to the overwhelming Republican majority ties in this county was defeated.
[Source:  History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Missouri, Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1888]

Gay Aufricht-was born in Burlington, Iowa, March 31, 1855, and is a son of Ferdinand Aufricht, of Princeton, Mo. [see sketch].   He was reared to manhood in Princeton and for a number of years was in business there for himself, meeting with well deserved success.  In March, 1882, he came to Bethany, and established a bakery and resturant.  In the spring of 1885 he embarked in the grocery business in which he has since continued.  He carries at his store on the south side of the square a full and select stock of staple and fancy groceries, queensware, lamps, produce and provisions, and, doing a strictly cash business, is meeting with success, and controls a large share of the patronage of the city in his line.  June 4, 1884, he was united in marriage with Miss Lettie Dunn, daughter of Dr. A.L. Dunn of Bethany.  To Mr. Aufricht and wife, one son, Irwin R. has been born.  Mr. Aufricht is a Democrat in politics, and is Generalissimo of the Knights Templar Lodge at Bethany.  He is one of the successful business men of the city, and merits the success he is enjoying. 
Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Missouri, Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1888

Charles A. Axline
a well known citizen of Bethany, who has resided here for the past thirty nine years, and who has been a resident of Missouri for more than fifty years was born in Kentucky, September 6, 1853, the son of Jacob and Mary C. (Edmonds) Axline both natives of Virginia.  Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Axline were married in Kentucky and settled in Jackson County Missouri in 1855, near Hickman Mills.  While there, Mr. Axline entered the United States Army as a Union soldier.  He was killed near Hickman Mills in 1864, by bushwhackers.  He was Captain of Company B, 6th Regiment Missouri Cavalry M.S.M., and was in the Battle at Independence, Missouri.  He is buried in Independence Missouri.  His wife died about 1886, in Fairfield, Iowa, where she and her family moved in 1865.

Mr and Mrs. Jacob Axline were the parents of the following children:  Henry M. who died in infancy; John, who served in the Civil War; George, who was accident killed in Jackson County, Missouri; William D., who was drowned in Tiffin, Ohio, in the flood of 1913; Charles A. , the subject of this sketch; Sanford and Thomas, deceased.

Charles A. Axline was educated at Fairfield Iowa, where he learned the marble cutting business, which he has followed from July, 1868, to the present time.  He is an expert in his line of work.

Mr. Axline was married in Cainsville, Missouri, February 15, 1879, to Melinda J. Chance, a daughter of John P. Chance.  Mr. Chance was a member of Company F, of 23rd Missouri Infantry, during the Civil War.  He was mustured out at St. Louis, Missouri and was in all probability murdered while on his way home.  To Mr. and Mrs. Axline have been born three children:  Myrtle M., the wife of George W. Marshall, a farmer in Saskatchewan, Canada; Maud C., the wife of Joseph A. Benedict, of Chicago, Illinois, and Arthur A., born October 27, 1889, at Bethany, Missouri.

Arthur A. Axline, was educated in the schools of Bethany and was a carriage painter a few years prior to going into service during the World War.  He was married at Camp Doniphan Oklahoma to Leah A. Crouch, and went overseas as 1st lieutenant of Company G, of the 139th Infantry,35th Division.  he acted as Adjutant of the second Battlion while oversears, and was later transferred to Company E, and was in command of this company when killed September 28, 1918, in the Argonne Forest.  His remains were shipped to Bethany, Missouri, the 23rd, September, 1921, and he was buried with military honors in the Pythian Cemetery at Bethany, Missouri.  The Wilson-Axline Post of the American Legion at Bethany is named for Capt. Carlisle Wilson and Lieut. Arthur A. Axline.  Arthur Axline was a man of excellent bearing and reputation and stood high among the men of this county.

Charles A. Axline was for eight years a member of the National Guards and Captain of Company D, 4th Missouri Infantry.  He is a progressive, enterprising and substantial citizen.

Source: History of Harrison County, Missouri, Geo. W. Wanamaker, 1921

 

Return to biography main page

Return to Harrison County main page

Copyright © Genealogy Trails All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor