Genealogytrails Harrison County, Missouri
John Bain.-is the only child of Wiliam and Mary (Bain) Bain, natives of Randolph County, N.C. and was born in that county and state, Oct. 1, 1831. The parents emigrated from their native county to Tennessee, and from there went to Morgan County, Ind., where the father died. He was a farmer by occupation. In October, 1850, the mother accompanied her son to Missouri, making her home with him until her death. Previous to coming to Missouri, John Bain was united in marriage with Miss Nancy Bryant, a native of Adair County, Ky. He located in Madison Township, in 1859, being one of the early settlers of Harrison County, and the first man to engage in farming and stock raising in the township. In 1881 he built the first hotel in Cainesville, which he has since successfully conducted. To himself and wife eleven children have been born, all of whom are living, three in Nebraska, and the remainder in Harrison County. His youngest child is married and has one child, and the sum total of his living grandchildren is twenty four. Besides his hotel, which is commodious and well furnished. Mr. Bain owns twenty acres of land in the township and four town lots. While in Morgan County, Ind., Mr. Bain served as deputy sheriff and road overseer, and in Harrison County he has filled the office of justice of the peace.
Source: Histories of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Missouri, Goodspeeds Publishing Co., 1881.
Manlove Bain-was born September 21, 1829, in North Carolina, and is a son of John and Rebecca (Russell) Bain, both natives of North Carolina, and of Irish and English descent, respectively. The father was a shoemaker by trade, at which he worked all his life, the greater part of the time in North Carolina. He was a victim of consumption and suffered with that disease over twenty years. To himself and wife thirteen children were born, of whom six are living and married. In politics he was a Whig, and in religion a Presbyterian. After his death his widow went to Tennessee, where she lived until her death at the advanced age of eighty. She was a member of the Methodist Church. Manlove Bain spent his youth in his native county, and at the age of eighteen began life for himself. He settled in Morgan County, Ind., when twenty two years old, and was there married to Miss Margaret McDonald, a native of North Carolina, and daughter of John and Margaret McDonald. This union was blessed with eight children, five now living: Rebecca (married), John, Eli S., Oliver P. and Charles. Mr. Bain lost his first wife after immigrating to Harrison County, and after remaining a widower two years married Mrs. Pitezel, widow of Dr. Joseph Pitezel, by whom she had one child, now deceased. Mrs. Bains maiden name was Sarah C. Roberts, and she has borne our subject three children: Walter A., Charlotee and Guy. Mr. Bain is a self made man, and his property of 150 acres is the result of his own labor and economy.
Source: Histories of Harrison and Mercer County Missouri, Goodspeed Publishing, 1888
was born in Morgan County, Ohio, in 1834, and when two years old was taken by his parents to McLean County, Ill., where he resided and engaged in farming until the spring of 1860, when he moved to Harrison County, Mo. In the fall of 1861 he enlisted in the Union army for six months, at the expiration of which [April 21, 1862] he re enlisted in Company G, Sixth Missouri Calvary, and upon the reorganiztion of the company was elected second lieutenant, in which capacity he served until October, 1863, when he resigned his commission and returned to farm life. In 1868 he was elected clerk of the circuit court, and in 1870, elected sheriff and collector of Harrison Co, Mo., in which capacity he served two years. He afterward was elected to the office of collector, and served two years. He then re-engaged in farming and stock shipping unil 1886, when he established himself in the general mercantile business at Ridgeway, where he now controls a lucrative patronage. He began life poor, but now has stock of goods valued at $4,000. When of age he was married to Miss Sarah J. Smoot, by whom thirteen children have been born: Adeline, Christina, Albert, John A., Benjamin B., James L., Mason, Mary E., Ida, Charles, Maude, Minnie and Bettie. Mr. Baker is a Republican in politics, and is a member of the G.A.R.
He is the third child of James and Christina [Roberts] Baker, natives of Ohio and Pennsylvania, respectively. The father served as justice of the peace about fifteen years, and was a son of Samuel and Margaret Baker, natives of Morgan County, Ohio. Mr. James Baker was married twice, his first wife having been Miss Alman, by whom three children were born. After her death he married the mother of our subject, who was a widow of Robert Stansberry.
Source: Histories of Harrison and Mercer County Missouri, Goodspeed Publishing, 1888
W.W. Ballew-one of the pioneer farmers of Union Township, was born in Howard County, 1823, and is the son of Barnabas and Margaret (Burton) Ballew, natives of North Carolina and Kentucky, respectively, who accompanied their parents to Howard County, where they were married about 1817, and spent the remainder of their lives, being among the pioneer settlers of Howard County and compelled to undergo all the perils and endure the privations of such a life. Both were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church for many years previous to their death, the mothers occurring about 1857, while her husband lived until 1872. His father was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. William was reared with a full knowledge of the hardships of pioneer life, and his recollections of that time are in decided contrast to the comforts and conveniences of the present day.
His education was necessarily a limited one, and when about twenty one, he was compelled to begin life for himself. He married in 1844 Miss Mary Ann, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth Taylor, early settlers in Carroll County, though Mrs. Ballew was born in Kentucky. This union has resulted in six children, five of whom are living; John Milton, George, Margaret E. (wife of Thomas Vincent), Mary Ann, William Riggins, and Jacob. His wife died in 1880, and in 1882 Mr. Ballew was united to Mrs. Christina Hardevich, sister of his former wife.
In 1851 he went to Harrison County, locating on his present farm, where he has since lived, making farming his chief occupation, and as a result of his enterprise now owns 154 acres of land, and is universally esteemed throughout the county for his honest and upright life. He has been a life long democrat, and both he and his wife are members of the United Bretheren Church, the former for twenty two years; he has been also a member of the quarterly conference, and for the last two years a delegate to the general conference. Mr. Ballew has always taken an especial interest in all educational matters, and shortly after his arrival in Harrison County erected a schoolhouse in the neighborhood at his own expense.
Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Goodspeed, 1881
George W. Barlow In the many years of his active practice at Bethany, George W. Barlow has distinguished himself for solid ability as a lawyer, and at the same time has devoted much of his time and energy to the public welfare. Mr. Barlow began practice in Harrison County in September, 1879, and for many years has been known as one of the leaders of the local bar, and at the same time the community has often looked to his interest and support for many enterprises and movements that would advance the city and surrounding country. Among Missourian republicans, Mr. Barlow has been a strong and influential leader and has a large acquaintance with leading members of the party both in the state and throughout the nation.
George W. Barlow came to Harrison County in 1869 and
to the State of Missouri in 1865, at which time his parents settled in
Chillicothe, Livingston County. They were from Jackson, Ohio, where George
'W. Barlow was born October 14, 1855. He was well educated in the public
schools, but worked for his higher education, and* after taking the normal
course at the University of Missouri engaged in teaching school for forty
months in Harrison County. It was through his profession as a teacher that
he first impressed himself upon this section, and came to know hundreds of
people young and old. His work as a teacher was done in the country
schools, and from the means acquired through that profession he took up
the study of law. He formed a partnership with Judge George W. Wanamaker
in 1882, and they were long regarded as the leading firm in Harrison
County. Their associations continued until the elevation of Judge
Wanamaker to the district bench in 1905. Since then Mr. Barlow has been in
practice with his brother, Gilbert Barlow, and the firm was Barlow &
Barlow from January 1, 1905, to January 1, 1914, at which time L. R. Kautz
was admitted to the firm, which is now Barlow, Barlow &
As to his own public service, Mr. Barlow in the fall of 1888 was elected prosecuting attorney of Harrison County, and was reelected in 1890, having succeeded Judge W. H. Skinner in that office. His administration was one of aggressive and efficient service, during which time he convicted more men for crimes than had been the record of any of his predecessors. Mr. Barlow traced up through Pinkerton detectives one man charged with rape who had crossed the Gulf of Mexico, and after getting him back to the Missouri courts prosecuted him and sent him to the penitentiary for ten years. During his term, Mr. Barlow continued his partnership with Judge Wanamaker, who was his assistant in the office, and at the close of his second term resumed his large private practice. For many years Mr. Barlow has been local attorney for the Burlington Railway, and his firm now handles the litigation for that company. He was one of the organizers of the Grand River Coal & Coke Company of Harrison County, the largest corporation in the county, and is a director and attorney for the company. Mr. Barlow was also one of the chief stockholders and builders of the Heilbron Sanatorium at Bethany, and is still chief stockholder and treasurer of the company. He and his brother built in Bethany the Barlow Block, the best business building in the county. He is the owner of other property in the city, and has one of the best residences located in the midst of spacious grounds on Elm Street, and it is easily one of the most attractive homes in the county. The residence contains ten rooms, is modern throughout, and is finished in oak and walnut, with floors of heavy oak.
Mr. Barlow was married October 9, 1879, in Bethany to Miss Elizabeth Hockridge, daughter of Nelson A. and Maretta (Hart) Hockridge. The Hockridge family formerly lived in the vicinity of Utica, New and Emma, who died as Mrs. F. H. Nally. Mr. and Mrs. Barlow have a daughter, Mabel, wife of L. R. Kautz, a young lawyer of Bethany, and they have a son, George Barlow Kautz. Mr. Barlow also has as a member of his family Maretta Barlow, the daughter of Mrs. Emma Nally, sister of Mrs. Barlow. She has been reared in the Barlow home since childhood, and is being educated and trained as carefully as if she were an own child. Mr. Barlow is a Knight Templar Mason and also affiliated with the Knights of Pythias, and some years ago served as judge advocate of the Missouri Division of the Sons of the Revolution.
George W. Barlow comes from an old Virginia family. His grandparents were George and Sarah (Ubanks) Barlow, both natives of Virginia and born about 1786 and 1789, respectively. They were married in 1811. George Barlow enlisted as a private during the War of 1812, but was soon detached from the field service and sent out as a recruiting officer. He died in Jackson County, Ohio, in 1854, and his wife passed away in 1866. They were members of the Baptist Church.
James Barlow, father of the Bethany lawyer, was born in Caroline County, Virginia, in 1832, and spent his active career as a farmer. In 1836 his parents moved to Ohio, and he was married in Jackson County of that state to Miss Lucinda Nally, daughter of William and Patsy Nally, who were likewise from Virginia. James Barlow, in 1863, enlisted in Company I of the One Hundred and Seventy-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, served as sergeant of his company, and was in several engagements before he was discharged in the fall of 1864. During the Morgan raid through Ohio he was captured, but was soon released. James Barlow was a republican, and one of the active influential men of Northwest Missouri after his removal to this state in 1865. He became a prominent Methodist Church leader in Harrison County, and built there a church largely by his own funds. His death occurred in April, 1907, and he is survived by his wife. Their children are: Emma, wife of Frank P. Burris of Harrison County; William C., assistant cashier of the Bethany Savings Bank; Henry A., a farmer in Harrison County; Lola, wife of John Ballard, of Bethany; Howard, of Daviess County, Missouri; Dr. Edward, a prominent physician at Pattonsburg, Missouri, where he died in 1902; Harvey K., a Harrison County farmer; and Gilbert, who practices law in partnership with his brother, George W.
[Source: A History of Northwest
Missouri Volume III; publ. 1915 in III Volumes; Edited by Walter
Daniel D. Boyce
Daniel D. Boyce-deceased, widely known in Harrison County, was born in Harrison County, Kentucky, in 1832, and died at Blue Ridge, Harrison County, Missouri, October 31, 1901. He was the son of Noah and Matilda (Toadvine) Boyce, who located in Sherman Township, where they both died, and are buried at Fairview Cemetery.
Mr. and Mrs. Noah Boyce were the parents of twelve children, as follows, all deceased: William; Mrs. Abbie Brown; Mrs. Amelia Speigle; Margaret Hodson; Evaline Bolar; Ann Bolar; Paris Ann Massie; Daniel D.; and Taylor; and four children who died in infancy.
Daniel D. Boyce was a member of Company E. 43rd Regiment, Missouri Volunteers, having served first in the State Militia, and then joined the 43rd Regiment, during the Civil War. He bought from the government 160 acres of land in Sherman Township, paying $1.25 per acre- and preempted eighty acres, and after the war bought other tracts of land there. Besides his farming activities, Mr. Boyce was county judge of Harrison County, and also justice of the peace of Sherman Township for several terms, and was well and favorably known throughout the county Mr. Boyce was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows of Bethany.
Daniel D. Boyce was married the first time to Sarah C. Maddox, and they were the parents of two children; Ida Frances, the wife of Charles C. Fordyce of Ridgeway, Missouri; and Susan Elizabeth, deceased.
Mr. Boyce's second marriage was to Nancy J. Baldwin on April 28, 1863. Mrs. Boyce was a daughter of William and Elizabeth (Harrison) Baldwin, who came to Missouri in 1856, and settled in Daviess County, Missouri. Mr. Baldwin was a minister of the Baptist Church and was pastor of Grand River Church for twelve years. He was also pastor at Blue Ridge, Coon Creek, and Pilot Grove Churches in Daviess County, Missouri. Mr. Baldwin died August 30, 1911, at the age of ninety-seven years and seven months, and his wife, who was born January, 20, 1814, died September 19, 1850.
Mr. and Mrs. Baldwin were the parents of the following children: Mary Hannah Dollins, deceased; Alzina Ann, deceased; Sarah Elizabeth Hunter, deceased; Mrs. Boyce, who was born at Ladoga, Indiana, February 4, 1842; Serilda Calista, deceased; Samantha Evelyn Ward, who died December 20, 1920; and Martha Ellen Brown, who died June 5, 1921, who were twins; and John Wiliam Baldwin, the only son, who, for many years, resided in Colorado, but who now lives in Daviess County, Missouri.
Mr. and Mrs. Boyce were the parents of two daughters: Mrs. Lillie Paris Taggart, deceased; and Etta Lura, the widow of S.W. Brandom. Mr. and Mrs. Brandom were the parents of four children: Vincent Boyce, Ralph Wallace, Charles Daniel and Lena.
Mrs. Boyce is a member of the Baptist Church, Ladies Aid Society, and the Ladies Relief Corps. She is a lady of unusual intelligence, very active and alert and has many friends througout the county.
[Source: The History of Harrison County, Geo. W. Wanamaker, 1921]
BRADFORD-Jane Bradford, a Negro
born in Kentucky in 1835, died in Bethany, 1917. Her husband was
A.J. Bradford. they were married by Elder J.S. Allen in 1866, and
lived on a farm until Mr. Bradford's death in 1886.
BRYANT-Back in the early days of
the County, John W. Brown, county clerk, had a sickly young man, lately
come from Indiana, living on one of his farms, with his parents.
Because of his physical condition he was not able to do hard work,
and further because he was a good penman, Mr. Brown gave him a job in his
office in Bethany.
James Franklin Buis was born in Indiana, March 14, 1854, the son of Henderson Greenbury Buis who came with his wife and family to Missouri in early days and settled on a farm four miles east of Ridgeway where they spent the remainder of their lives. James Franklin Buis left Missouri in 1894 and went to western Kansas where he now lives. His wife who was born in Mercer County about 1857 is also living. To the union of James Franklin Buis and Marcella Jane (Smothers) Buis the following children were born: Ida, now the wife of R.D. Taylor, of Des Moines, Iowa; Ella, now the widow of Samuel Bridge and living on her home place in Madison Township; John, deceased; J.G., the subject of this sketch; Frances, now the wife of Alva Crabb of St. Joseph, Missouri; Rosa, living in Des Moines, Iowa; Lola, married Leonard Larson of Mercer County, Missouri; and Roy, deceased. Lola and Roy Buis were twins.
J.G. Buis, attended the White Oak district school and was reared on a farm. He began working for himself as a farm hand when he was nineteen years old and continued until he was twenty one. He then rented some land in Harrison County south of Ridgeway. He farmed on rented ground for five years when he bought his present farm in Madison Township. He has made extensive improvements on his farm. He breeds Spotted Poland China hogs and sells by public sale and in the private markets. He is a careful dealer, although liberal. He is known as one of the successful young business farmers of this community.
J.G. Buis was marred on March 24, 1907 to Anna Mary Wyant who was born in Madison Township, November 14, 1891, the daughter of P.A. and Margaret (Wright) Wyant. To J.G. and Anna Mary (Wyant) Buis the following children were born: Dlia Delores, Dorrel Dean, Deva Deland and Darrel Dee. It will be observed that both names of all the children begin with the letter D.
Mr. Buis is a Democrat and is a member of the Church of Christ. He is serving at present on the school board of district No. 59. Mr. Buis is a progressive young man who merits the esteem in which he is held by his fellow citizens.
Source: History of Harrison County, Missouri, Geo. Wanamaker, 1920
W.C. Baker- was born in Van Buren County, Iowa, April 20, 1845. His father, Jacob Baker, was born in Maryland and was there married to Miss Hall, a native of the same state, who died leaving three children: Joseph H., Eliza A. and Sarah Jane. He was a mason and plasterer by trade, and from Maryland went to Indiana, where he married Miss Mary A. Hite, by whom he had seven children, only two of whom are living: W.C. Baker and Charles G., who live in Harrison Co., Mo. Mr. Baker went to Iowa after his marriage but soon returned to Indianna where he spent his last days. W.C. Baker was reared in Monroe Co., Ind. where he attended the district schools. He lost his father when but five years old, and mother when twelve and the following year worked for his board and clothes. He then returned home and assisted his brother upon the home place, and year after which they both came west.
During war time he served six months in Company E, Third Missouri State Militia, Cavalry, and was then discharged on account of sickness. He returned home, and in 1864 enlisted in the Forty eighth Iowa Infantry, as a one hundred day man, under Capt. John H. Summers, and upon the expiration of his enlistment received an honorable discharge.
He is a plasterer by trade, but upon his return home engaged in farming, which occupation he has since followed, with the exception of about five years, when he was interested in milling. November 24, 1867, he married Miss Sarah A. Glaze by whom six children have been born: Annie M., Samuel H., Charles W., Harvey N., Coy and Mary C. Mr. Baker is a Republican, has served as township clerk and is a member of the G.A.R., Post No 216 at Cainesville. Himself and wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is also a zealous temperance worker, regaring intemperance as one of the greatest evils of the times. He assistes in conducting a Christian Temperance Union at Mount Pleasant Methodist Episcopal Church, and has been a class leader in said church for years.
He is a weell to do man and owns 700 acres of well stocked and improved land. The grandfather of Mr. Baker was a soldier in the War of 1812 and is now living near Mount Pleasant Iowa, at the advanced age of about one hundred.
Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Goodspeed, 1881