Cain.was born in Indiana
in 1842. He came to Eagleville in 1875 and lived there until his
death, June 14, 1813. He was a member of the County Court of
Harrison County for four years and left a clean record. He was a
member of the G.A.R.
was born November 2, 1865, and is a son of Peter and
Missouri A. Mullins, natives of Kentucky. The father came to Misouri
when there were but two or three houses in Princeton, and once owned the
land where Princeton is now built. He donated the property for the
depot there, and assisted in organizing Mercer County. He served
twice as sheriff and once as judge of the county, and was one of the most
influential citizens of the locality. To himself and wife eleven
children were born, seven of whom are living: Mary, Rebecca, Sarah,
Jonathan, J.C., David and Rose. Mr. Peter Cain was a Democrat in
politics, and one of the enterprising and public spirited men of his
county. His death occurred in 1874, and his wealth at this time was
estimated at between $150,000 and $200,000. J.C. was reared upon his
father's farm, and after attending the district schools in the
neighborhood attended Wheaton College, near Chicago, Ill., and upon
graduating from the preparatory department of same studied the higher
branches another year. He has now been engaged in the grocery
business under the firm name of C.B. Woodward & Co., for over a year,
and is also the owner of a fine farm in Harrison County containing over
800 acres of well stocked and improved land.
Source: The Histories of
Harrison and Mercer Counties, Goodspeed Publishing, 1888
born in Jennings County, Ind., in 1831, and is a son of John and Elizabeth
Chambers. John Chambers was a native of North Carolina, and
immigrated to Indiana in an early day. He married Elizabeth Hankins,
afterward settled in Jennings County, and remained there until 1832, when
he moved to Decatur County, where he reared a family of thirteen children,
all living but one. In 1845 he immigrated to harrison County, Mo.,
and entered 320 acres of land. He and wife were members of the
Baptist Church. He died from the effects of a wound received by a
fall in 1851. His wife lived until 1862, when she died, and was
buried by the side of him in the same graveyard, near Cainesville; his
family are all dead now but four-two girls and two boys.
Chambers lived with his father until of age, when he maried a Miss M.E.E.
J. Bishop, a daughter of Absalom Bishop. He subsequently entered
land, and farmed for a few years, then sold his farm, and went to
blacksmithing, which trade he has followed most of the time since.
Himself and wife have had ten children, fiveof whom are now living, viz:
Joab, Mary C., Talitha J., David M. and Ida B. Mr. C. owns his shop
and residence in Cainesville. He is a member of the Masonic
fraternity, and himself wife and family, except, one son, are all church
members. During the war Mr. Chambers enlisted in the United States
army, Company F, Thirty-fifth Missouri Infantry, under Col. Kimball, but
was not in any regular engagement, and was soon discharged on account of
disability, from which disability he still suffers.
Source: History of
Harrison and Mercer Counties Missouri, Goodspeed Publishing
Chancy-a farmer of Sugar Creek Township, was born in Russell
County, VA, in 1831, and was the eighth of ten children of John and
Elizabeth (Blair) Chancy, who were also natives of that State, living
there until there marriage. About 1840 they moved to Grundy County,
thence in 1853 to California, where he died in 1854. Mr. Chancy was
twice married, and his life ling occupation was farming in connection with
blacksmithing. The mother died in Minnesota about
George W was reared at home, without the advantages of
educaton, and was married in 1852 to Elizabeth, daughter of John and
Isabel Hudson, formerly of Tennessee, where their daughter was born.
This union has resulted in eight children, seven of whom are living: John
Henry, Mary (wife of James Jolly, of Kansas); Andrew Green, Emerson,
Milton V., Thomas R. and Albert E. Mr. Chancy remained in Grundy
County but a short time, then settled in Sugar Creek Township, twenty
miles southeast of Bethany, where he has since resided (with the exception
of two years spent in California, where he engaged in mining and
teaming) following the occupation of farming, and as a result of his
efforts he has a fine farm of 240 acres. During the war he served
under Capt. Hutton in the Missouri Militia. Politically he was
formerly a Whig, asting his first vote for Pierce. Both he and his
wife are members of the Baptist Church, and take a great interest in all
educational and other laudable enterprises.
Source: History of Harrison
and Mercer Counties, Missouri, Goodspeed Publishing
Curtis-an expert automobile mechanic, but
who is at present farming in Butler Township, was born in Van Buren
County, Michigan, at Hartford, April 3, 1883, the son of Ezra and Julia E.
(McNitt) Curtis. Ezra Curtis was born in New York, April 11, 1834
and is now living at Kalamazoo, Michigan, and his wife died in Hartford,
Michigan, October 11, 1914.
Mr. and Mrs. Ezra Curtis were the
parents of the following children: Barney, of California; Alva and
Mrs. Leona Tierney, both deceased; Mrs. Bertha Brague, of Kalamazoo
Michigan; John, of St. Joseph, Missouri; Harry of California; Ada, of
Kalamazoo, Michigan; Oliver W, of this sketch; and Grover C. of Benton
Oliver W. Curtis was educated in the public
schools of Michigan, and sent three years in Lewis Institute at Chicago, a
mechanical and mathematical school, and after finishing his education, he
was in the automobile business in Chicago anf followed this line of work
until recently, when he traded his garage in Blythedale, Missouri, for his
present farm in Butler Township in May, 1921. He has eighty five
acres one and one half miles east of Matkins, formerly the C.M. Vance
place; fifteen acres are in oats, fifteen acres in corn, fifteen
acres in hay and the remainder in pasture.
Mr. Curtis was married
in 1914 to Beulah Walton of Blythedale, Missouri, a daughter of J.W. and
Rosa Walton, both of whom live at Blythedale.
Mr. Curtis is a
member of the Masonic Lodge at Eagleville, Missouri, and of the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Blythedale, Missouri.
Mr. Curtis is an expert automobile man and a very efficient mechanic, he
has always wanted a farm and is now doing the work he likes best. He
can make an entire automobile and desires to study electrical work
[Source: History of Harrison County, Missouri, by Geo.
Judge Italus M.
Judge Italus M. Curry is buried in the Masonic Cemetery in Eagleville,
Mo. his death date is listed June 14,
EDITED BY: WALTER WILLIAMS
ADVISORY AND CONTRIBUTING EDITORS