HARRISON COUNTY MO.
BIOGRAPHIES "E"

Eades, W.H.
a prominent farmer and stock raiser of Jefferson Township was born in 1830, in Bourbon County, Ky., and at the age of four years was taken to Morgan County Ill., where he was reared.  In 1856 he moved to Harrison County, Mo.  He began life for himself at the age of fifteen, a poor young man, but by the exercise of prudence and economy, together with good mangement, has become a successful man, and is now the owner of 290 acres of fine land, well improved and equipped for agricultural pursuits.  At one time he was a very extensive dealer and shipper in stock.  He was united in marriage, in 1856, to Miss Lucy Calef, a native of Concord, N.H.  This union was blessed with five children:  Laura (wife of Mr. W.P. Robinson), Marion (deceased), Horatio, Lellah (deceased) and Ora, also deceased.  Dr. Eades is a Republican in politics, and has served his township four years as justice of the peace.  During the Rebellion he served his country in Company D, Fifty-seventh Missouri State Militia Cavalry, and was the lieutenant of his company during the entire war.  He organized the first company of Home Guards raised in Harrison County.  He is the tenth of eleven children born to Horatio and Margaret (Mosterson) Eades, natives of Bourbon County Ky., near Paris.  The father served through two campaigns in the War of 1812, and was the son of Thomas Eades.  Our subject entered the land in Jefferson Township upon which he now resides in 1855, and moved upon the same the next year.
Source: History of Harrison and Mercer County

Winfield S. Eades
was born in Rockcastle County, Ky, August 3, 1848, and is a son of William Eades, a prominent farmer citizen of Jefferson Township, Mo.  He came to Harrison County with his father in 1857, and was reared to manhood here upon a farm.  In 1875 he came to Bethany, and for awhile was engaged in wagon making, conducting a shop of his own about a year, and then was employed by J.F. Pitt, a carriage builder and wagon maker, a number of years.  In January, 1884, he established his present business, and is now the owner of the building which he occupies, which is situated two blocks east of the northeast corner of the public square.  Here he is occupied in the manufacture and sale of buggies and carriages, and also has a general repair and blacksmith shop.  In 1881 Mr. Eades was united in marriage with Sarah E. (Buck) Roberts, a native of Bethany, and the mother of one son, William D.  Mr. Eades had previously married and of that union there is also one son-Charles O.  Mr. Eades is a Democrat in  politics, and is a Select Knight of the A.O.U.W.  Himself and wife belong to the Christian Church, and rank among the good citizens of Bethany.
Source: History of Harrison and Mercer County

Moses H. Eades
the subject of this sketch, was born in Rockcastle County, Ky., April 3, 1851.  His parents, William and Mary L. Eades, were also natives of Kentucky.  The family moved to Hendricks County, Ind., in the autumn of 1853, where they resided until the fall of 1857, at which time they came to Harrison County, Mo.  In the spring of 1868, William Eades purchased a partly improved farm six miles north of Bethany, which he still resides.  William Eades was married in 1843 to Mary L. Hudnall, by whom he had twelve children, Moses H., being the sixth child.  The father was twice married, his first wife having died in 1863.  Moses H. was reared and received a common school education in Harrison County, after which he attended the Bethany High School.  For several years he engaged in teaching in the public schools of Harrison County.  In the spring of 1874 he began the study of medicine under Dr. J. Walker, of Bethany, and in the winter of 1875-76 he attended his first lectures at Ann Arbor, Mich.  From the spring of 1876 till the fall of 1877 he practiced his profession at New Hampton, when he went to Mt. Moriah, where he again engaged in the practice of medicine.
Source: History of Harrison and Mercer County

Eisenbarger, Martin-Martin Eisenbarger was born in 1813 in Pennsylvania and died May 8, 1872 he was married to Martha M. Stettler about 1838.  Martha M. Settler was born March 10,1818 in Pennsylvania and died April 8, 1902 at the age of 84 years.  Martha's mother was Susanna, who was born in 1787 in Virginia and died sometime after 1850.

Martin and Martha moved from Lancaster Pennsylvania to Terrytown Indiana in 1852 and then moved on to Missouri in 1861 during the Civil War.  Upon arriving in Missouri they settled in Harrison County on a small farm located about 7 miles Northeast of Martinsville, Mo.  They are both buried at the Magee Cemetery which is also located Northeast of Martinsville, Mo.
source:  family papers of Jewell Eisenbarger,submitted by: Melody Beery



Claude A. Endsley-a prominent farmer of Butler Township, and pioneer of Harrison County, was born at Bethany Missouri, February 27, 1875, the son of John Henry and Adelaide (Sneed) Endsley, both deceased.  John Endsley came from Ray County, Missouri in 1840, with his father Abraham Endsley, when the former was three years of age, and settled in Cypress Township.  Abraham Endsley died two and one half miles west of Matkins in 1882 and is buried at Matkins.  His wife Elizabeth Endsley died in 1884. 

John Endsley moved to the present farm of Claude Endsley in 1859, and owned 140 acres on which he built a good residence and a barn 44x64 feet, which was torn down forty one years later and a new one built.  He was a stockman and farmer and raised Hamilton horses, mules, cattle and hogs.  In the '50's, he carried mail on horse back from Chillicothe to Bethany, Missouri and drove a wagon from Bethany to Montana across the plains, taking six months to make the trip.  He died June 11, 1906 and his wife died in 1894; both are buried in Matkins.

Mr. and Mrs John Endsley were the parents of the following children:  Henry and Charlie, deceased; Edgar of Kansas City, Missouri; Mrs. Elizabeth Yeater, deceased, who married Dr. H.P. Yeater; Clarence, deceased; Claude A., of this sketch; Catherine, deceased; Milton, of Whitwater, Kansas; Tuna, deceased; Ida, the wife of W.L. George of Hotchkiss, Colorado and who have five children, Helen, Howard, Everett, Ethel, Margaret; Horton of Hotchkiss, Colorado, who married Julia George and who has three children, Ida, Ruby, and Evelyn.

Claude Endsley and his brothers and sisters were educated at the Tull school house in Butler Township.  He was married in 1914 to Martha Dunkle, a daughter of John and Nancy Dunkle of Butler Township, both deceased.  Mrs. Endsley was born in Dallas Township and died November 6, 1920, at the age of fifty three years.

Mr. Endsley has lived on his present farm for about forty-six years.  He has been very successful in general farming and stock raising and is well known throughout the county.  He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Martinsville, No. 547.
[Source:  The History of Harrison County, Missouri, by Geo. Wanamaker, 1921]

ROBERT MILES ESTEP FAMILY




ROBERT ESTEP



NELLIE ESTEP


Basically the Estep name is derived from the Roman Este (before Christ).  From Spain our ancestors went to France, then England and then to America to Maryland in 1685.

William (Bill) Estep, born in the state of Indiana, came to the Cainsville area, married and raised four children, George, an undertaker in Cainsville, Robert Miles, who lived in Bethany, Edgar, and Emma (Mrs. Charley Addison).

Robert Miles was born on May 9, 1867, near Cainsville.  He married Nellie Margaret Lockwood who was born near Ottumwa, Iowa.  They came to Bethany to raise their two sons, Hugh Lockwood and Olen William.  Miles, as he was called, was active in community affairs.  He helped to build the first city hall.  He also owned the Fairview Nursery in Bethany for a number of years and served as deputy sheriff.  Following the death of Nellie Margaret, he married Tissue Crabtree who also preceded him in death.  He then married JoAnna Bell Johnson.  He passed away at the Reid Hospital in Bethany, Mo. on March 11, 1944.

Hugh L. Estep
Hugh Lockwood, born May 6, 1894, graduated from Bethany High School.  He served in the Navy in World War I.  He was married to Mildred Staub June 14, 1922 in Denver, leaving no heirs.  Hugh worked for the Burroughs Adding Machine Company, living in Kansas City, Mo and Phoenix, Arizona for many years before moving to Denver, Colo.  to make his home and retire.  His hobby was bowling.  he passed away in a hospital there August 15, 1971, just ten days after the death of his only brother, Olen.  His widow now resides in a rest home in North Glen, Colo.

Olen W. Estep
Olen William, born April 8, 1899, graduated from Bethany High School.  He married Verda R. Blessing, daughter of Judge Vodra and Mary Eliza (Phillips) Blessing on June 19, 1922.  To this union six children were born:  Nellie June (Mrs. Clarence Shain), Carolyn (Mrs. John Frame), Marolyn (Mrs. Paul Harper), Vodra Miles and two children, Mary Lue and Billy Olen, who died in early childhood.

Olen and Verda were married at the Christian parsonage in St. Joseph Missouri.  Olen was working for the Burroughs Adding Machine Comapny and they moved for a short time to Helena, Monatana, but later returned to Bethany to make their home on the old Blessing homeplace where they lived for nine years.  It was here a misfortune caused Olen to lose the sight of one eye.

They lived in the Bethany area all of their lives.   Olen was a member of the Bethany Methodist Church, later uniting with the White Oak Church near his home.  He passed away on August 5, 1971 in Kansas City, Mo.  The widow, Verda, still lives in the home they shared during the last 30 years of their married life.
source: Harrison County Bicentennial History, 1976,transcribed by: Melody Beery

Back to Biographies Index

Back to Harrison County Index


Copyright © Genealogy Trails All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor