Harrison County Missouri
Biographies "H"

WILLIAM HARRISON FAMILY


Shone Whitt Harrison


William Harrison, Tazewell, Va. (1802-1871), buried at Mt. Pleasant No. I, Brimson. Mo., was married to Shone Whitt, a one-half Cherokee. 9.11-1827. Their children were Alexander, (Griff). Austin, Thomas, Jem, James Crockett, and Martha. They came to Missouri and lived in a small log cabin half-quarter mile north of Willis Chapel and Cemetery, north of Brimson. Mo.

James Crockett Harrison (1849-1924), buried at Mt.Pleasant No. 1. married Nancy Ellen Elder (1859-1950), buried at Willis Chapel. Her family had come to Missouri from Cumberland County. Illinois in 1865. They were divorced and she later married Jake Haun. The Harrison children were Carson, buried Springer Chapel, Jerry and Alexander, buried Christian Union. Dee buried near Seneca. Mo, Arvilla (Usher), buried Willis Chapel, Emily (Hoaglan) buried near Paola, Kansas. Golda (Cummings), lives in Gilman City, Mo., and John (1891-1955). buried Miriam Cemetery, Bethany, Mo„ m Tressie Opal McLey.

Children of John and Tressie Harrison are Carmaleta, b. 1922 m James H. Medlin (1919-1970) buried Pherigo Cemetery. Unionville, Mo.. Mary Leah. b. 1927 m. Lyle C McKinny, children, Charles b. 1952, John b. 1953. James b. 1955. Steven b. 1957 and Warren b. 1961, Loree b. 1930 m. Carl W. Slaughter, one child Carl W. II. m. Theresa Provin. Children Carl William Jason III. Joanell. b 1935. m. Bill Daniels, one child. Steven, divorced and m Edward Mullins, children. Charles and David
source: Harrison County Bicentennial History, 1976, transcribed by: Melody Beery

Ernest Harvey-secretary of the Bethany Trust Company, is one of the enterprising young men of Bethany.  He was born in Decatur County, Kansas, August 31, 1886, the son of B.B. and Ruth (Baker) Harvey.  Mrs. Harvey was born near Marietta, Ohio, and died in Meadville, Missouri, where she is buried, December 7, 1918.  B.B. Harvey was born in West Virginia.  He and his wife settled near Meadville in Linn County, Missouri, shortly after the close of the Civil War.  Later they moved to Kansas, where they lived for twelve years when they returned to Linn County. The came back to Missouri in 1890 and lived in Meadville until the death of Mrs. Harvey.

Earnest Harvey received his education in the grade and high schools of Meadville.  He was identified with one of the local papers, the Meadville Messenger, for a while, and then accepted a position in a dry goods store for a few years.  One June 1, 1913, he went into the Peoples Bank in Meadville as the assistant cashier, and in September, 1918, he accepted a position with the Chillicothe Trust Company, remaining with them until January 1, 1920.  On that date he began his work with the Bethany Trust Company as secretary.  This place he has filled successfully ever since.  His work in the various banks with which he has been connected has ably fitted him for his present position.  His thorough conversance with modern and progressive business methods has given him the esteem of his fellow citizens.

Ernest Harve was married to Bessie Darling of Meadville, June 12, 1910.  Mrs. Harvey is a daughter of James and Jane (McKain) Darling.  James Darling died at Meadville, April 20, 1918 his wife lives at Meadville.  Mr.and Mrs. Harvey have one daughter, Hope Elaine.
Mr. Harvey is a member of the Knights of Pythias Lodge and of the Modern Woodman of America.  He is identified with the progress of Bethany and is a highly respected citizen.

The Bethany Trust Company, one of the well known banking institutions of Bethany, was organized and started business January 1, 1920.  The capital stock was $100,000 and the first officers were: Joseph S. Neff, President; Henry N. Burgin, Vice President; I.E. Nelson, Treasurer; Walter E. Todd, Assistant Treasurer; Ernest Harvey, Secretary; Joseph S. Neff, J.E. Noll, S.L. Givson, Herny N. Burgin, W.C. Cole, I.E. Nelson and W. T. Templeman, Directors.

The capital of the bank remains the same as when it was opened; the bank has a surplus of $11,000; loans of $283,780.53; bonds and stocks, $52,258.90; cash and sight exchange, $38,545.11; furnishings and fixtures, $15,925.95; title plant, $25,000; undivided profits, $4,966.63 and deposits $236,771.75.

The bank is conducted entirely with local capital and its hearty support by the community is shown by the fact that the deposits on the opening day were $128,00.  The directorate of the bank is mde up of local men, all well known to the community and all loyal to the ideals and standards with which the institution has worked since its foundation.
[Source: History of Harrison County, Missouri, Geo. W. Wanamaker, 1921]

Col. David J. Heaston-died at his home in Bethany July 21, 1902.  He was born in Champaign County, Ohio, May 22, 1835.  In 1858 he was admitted to the bar and licensed to practice law in the Circuit Court at Winchester, Indiana.  He came to Bethany, Harrison County, in 1859.  He was elected judge of the Probate Court of Harrison County in 1861.  He was a clear, terse, and energetic writer and at different times contributed to the newpapers of the county.  In 1862 when the enrolled militia of the county was organized, in response to the call of the Government, he was elected captain of the first company organized and when the enrolled militia of the was formed in the Fifty-seventh Regiment, Eastern Missouri Militia, he was commissioned colonel of the same.  He was always an earnest and zealous supporter of the democratic party.  In 1878 Colonel Heaston was elected to the state senate by a large majority in the Fourth District.  He was well known throughout the state as a Mason.  He was a member of the Christian Church.

Transcribed From:
HISTORY OF NORTHWEST MISSOURI;EDITED BY: WALTER WILLIAMS;ASSISTED BY:  ADVISORY AND CONTRIBUTING EDITORS;COPYRIGHT:1915
submitted by: Melody Beery

Ezekiel B. Hobbs-is one of a family of twelve children, born to Rev. Solomon and Winifred (Janes) Hobbs, natives of Georgia, who when young went to West Virginia, where they passed the remainder of their lives.  The father lived to be sixty five years of age and the mother seventy five, and both were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which the former was a local minister.  In politics the father was a Whig.  Ezekiel is of English and Scotch descent, and was born in Russell County, W. Va., in 1822.  He received but a limited education, and when a small boy would upon a block and strike for his father, who worked some at the blacksmith trade.  When nineteen he married Lydia S. Woodward, a native of West Virginia by whom he had eight children. 

His second wife, Mrs. Letitia Masingal, bore him one child, and his third wife, Nancy J. Ballew, ten children.  At the age of sixty one he married Buenavista Shirley.  In 1851 he traveled a distance of about 1,000 miles in forty one days in a two horse wagon, and entered 100 acres of land in Harrison County, for which he just had sufficient means.  He was then ill for nine months, during which time household articles were disposed of to pay the doctor.  Despite these adverse circumstances he started bravely to work upon his recovery, and after thirty six years residence in one community, engaged principally in farming and stock raising, has become the owner of about 500 acres of land.  At the age of eighteen he became a convert to the Methodist faith, and for forty four years has been class leader, and for twenty five years a licensed exhorter in that church.  All of his wives were Methodists.  In politics he has always been a Democrat.
[Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Missouri, The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1888]

E.L. HUBBARD

REFUGE FOR WIVES OF SOLDIERS BUILT BY YANKEE TRADER

E.L. Hubbard led adventurous life before settling near Bethany


Bethany, Mo, Aug. 21- A house which holds a place of eminenee in the Civil War and the contemporary period in northwest Missouri stands six miles southeast of here and helps to keep alive the name of Little Hubbard, who was an interesting figure.

Edgar Leander Hubbard, Yankee Adventurer and trader, began in 1852 the construction of the residence which from 1861 to 1865 was home for war widows or women in the community who remained guests of the Hubbards while their husbands were serving with the Union army.  It also became a stop in the old Bethany-Chillicothe stage line on what was known as the state road, was a stopping place for everland travelers seeking their fortunes in the farther West and for those wayfarers who, disillusioned were returning eastward shattered in spirit and perhaps broken in purse after challenging the West and being beaten.

USED CUT IRON NAILS

It is 50 by 20 feet in ground dimensions and is said to be entirely of walnut.  The roof, of course, has been replaced, but the hand-hewed ambers of the heavy framework, the wall boards, floors, stairs, doors, windows and even the weatherboarding are of walnut.

Little Hubbard was about three years in building the largest and most pretentious residence in the community where he was a merchant farmer and postmaster.  The walnut trees were felled near the old town of Pattonsburg which then stood upon the hills.  The trunks are sawed there at one of the few hills of the section and the rough lumber was hauled to the residence, about twenty miles away.  J.H. Patton, later to become a widely known Bethany contractor and builder, and William Peugh, who resided at Jameson, worked for a year at planning the weatherboarding to smooth it.  The house was plastered and this means that the stone crushed for that purpose had to lie in a "lime hole" for twelve months before being taken out to be used.  Cut iron nails manufactured at Wheeling, W.VA. then the iron products capital of the nation, fatened the parts together.  Wire nails were as yet unknown.

WAS BOOK AGENT

As a boy of sixteen Hubbard became dissatisfied with the lack of opportunity in the rocky section of Connecticut where he was born and there and ancestor, George Hubbard, was one of the nine founders of Middletown in 1630, and left for Washington, D.C.  This was in 1832, a short time afterward he was found in the South a  book agent selling "The Footprints of Time"  He spent several years without great financial profit in Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi.  There, with his savings he bought horses and wild hay and began an overland journey back to his home state with the gerd.  In Connecticut he traded the horses for clocks, and with these returned to Missouri, peddling them to the scattered settlers.  With the capital thus regained, he entered the mercantile business at old Pattonsburg in 1847, but he was caught by the gold fever and went to California in 1849.  he returned in 1850 by way of the Isthmus and in Panama invested his money in hats which he sold upon his arrival at New Orleans, Dec. 31, 1850, he married Miss Elizabeth J. Brown, daughter of Maj. John Bridges Brown of Davies County, formerly of Logan County, Va and traded the career of a Yankee peddler and adventurer for that of a Missouri land owner.

HAVEN FOR HOMELESS

He was forty-five when the Civil War opened and was almost too small for a soldier.  His maximum weight was 120 pounds and for a number of years before his death in 1910 he weighed less than 100 pounds.  His nickname of Little Hubbard was given to distinguish him from Elijah Hubbard, a second cousin, who lived in the same vicinity and who was more than six feet tall and weighed about 250 pounds.

The Edgar Leander Hubbard home gradually became the haven of women who were having difficulty getting along while their husbands were in army service.  They and their children made the Hubbard home their own home until the men fold returned from war.  Some remained for weeks, some for months and the stays of a few lengthened to more than a year.  At one time, the Hubbard home sheltered six war "widows."

HAD SYMPATHY AND PATRIOTISM

This benevolence had its beginning because wives of soldiers would come to the postoffice looking for mail from their husbands according to Edward S. Hubbard of Bethany, son of Edgar Leander Hubbard.

"Father was always a very sympathetic man" said Edgar S. Hubbard, "I don't reckon there ever was a tramp who came along that went away hungry.  I have heard Father say that he would rather feed a dozen not deserving than fail to feed one who was deserving."

"It was a combination of sympathy and patriotism to the Union that led him to open his home in that way."  Whenever one of them would complain, "I have not food" or "I have not house," or "I am having a hard time getting along." Father would say, "Come on over and stay with us."  Hubbard was asked whether during that period, reference ever was made to the Hubbard residence as a "War widows" home."

SOME CAME FIFTEEN MILES

"No" he said, "Father felt that any reference to it as a home might humiliate them.  He just told them to come over and stay as long as they wanted.  It was always understood in the community that, "If you can't get along, come on over,"  Mother was the same way.  That was their dispostion.  They were never asked to contribute and never were asked to leave.  Some came from as far away as Salem, now Coffey, which was about fifteen miles.

Edward S. Hubbard can recall only one of the husbands of the "war widows".. Little Hubbard also contributed to the aid of other wives whose husbands were away, and virtually supported some of them..

OLD WELL REOPENED

The Hubbard place became as widely known and popular as a stopping place on the old state road that its owner set aside an enclosure of two acres about that was called "the big well" for a camping spot.  The "big well" was a walled spring twelve or fourteen feet in diameter and about as deep.  It was opened again in recent drouth years and again furnished water.

Incidentally, Edward S. Hubbard does not know why the overland route was called the state road.  It was one of few roads in common use then, but he does not believe that the state ever helped provide for its maintenance.

TRADED BACON FOR SCALES

It is of interest regarding Edgar Leander Hubbard that he bought the first pair of stock scales in Harrison County from the Rev. J.H. Burrows of Cainsville Baptist Church and the congressman who appointed Gen. John J. Pershing to West Point.  Rather the deal was a trade, after a Connecticut Yankee manner.  Mr. Burrows took a quantity of bacon in return for the scales.  Little Hubbard also bought the first two-horse cultivators ever used in Harrison County, which at that time were not called cultivators, but "shang highs" Presumably this was after the tall breed of chickens named Shanghai.  The cultivators had high wheels.

Little Hubbard quit his large farm in 1867 and moved into Bethany, where he died July 21, 1910, at the age of ninety-three years, the oldest resident of the town.

Source: St. Joseph Newspress, Sunday August 22, 1937
transcribed by: Melody Beery
C.B. Hunsicker
a prominent land owner and breeder of high grade stock in Hamilton Township, has lived in Harrison County since his early boyhood when he came here with his parents early settlers of this part of the state.  Mr. Hunsicker was born in Pickway County, Ohio, November 9, 1848, the son of Joseph L. and Margaret (Hedge) Hunsicker.

Joseph L. Hunsicker was born in Perry, Ohio, May 9, 1821.  He went with his parents to Pickaway County, Ohio, and later married Margaret Hedges, born at Circleville in Pickaway County, Ohio, June 7, 1820.  They moved to Clark County, Illinois, where they lived until 1857.  On September 24th of that year moved to Harrison County and located in Marion Township, where they remained for three years and then moved to Hamilton Township.  Mr. Hunsicker retired from active farm life and moved to Eagleville.  He died at Pawnee, October 24, 1903, and his wife died June 23, 1901.  Their remains are buried in the Masonic Cemetery at Eagleville.  To their union six children were born:  Margaret, widow of Bassett T. Mallett, now living at Pawnee; C.B., the subject of the present review; James H. and Martha E., twins, now deceased; Jacob, a resident of Indianola, Iowa; and Nemona, married to W.H. Payne of Mulhull, Oklahoma.

C.B. Hunsicker was a lad of ten years when his parents came to Missouri.  He has always known farm life.  He bought his first land, a tract of eighty acres in 1873.  This piece of land formed the nucleus of his present large holdings.  He added to the original farm as he could and now owns 1,000 acres of land in Hamilton Township and 325 acres in Hale County, Texas, and also owns 1,000 acres of land in old Mexico,.  He has given 600 acres to his children.  Mr. Hunsicker has made extensive improvements on all of his land, enhancing its value.

Mr. Hunsicker's main interest, however, has been in the breeding of stock in which he has achieved marked success.  He handles Shorthorn cattle, Percheron horses, Poland China hogs, and Mammoth jacks and jennies.  He started this line of business when he was young man.  At that time he began to buy live stock all over Harrison County; he often drove horses and mules to Omaha, and mules to St. Joseph.   Mr. Hunsicker keeps a horse saddled at all hours and has probably sat in the saddle as much as any man in the county.  He has owned at various times several good saddle horses, the last one, a bay, named Dan Patch, has been in Mr. Hunsickers possession for five years.

C.B. Hunsicker was married on December 24th, 1875, to Jemima Loy, born in Iowa, and to this union three children were born:  George L. living in Hamilton Township; Gracia M., married to Oliver Ballew, a sketch of whose life appears in this volume; and Eva Belle, wife of A.R. Brill of Hamilton Township.  Mrs. Hunsicker died in May, 1911, and Mr Hunsicker was married the second time on November 15, 1917, to Mrs. Mary Pierson, an estimable lady and a member of a prominent pioneer family of Harrison County.

Mr. Hunsicker is a Republican in his political views and is a member of the Methodist Church, although he is liberal with all the churches.  He is a man of marked business acumen and this added to his innate fondness for his work with live stock has made him prominent among the stock raisers of Harrison County.  He is interested also in business ventures that are calculated to benefit the community.  He helped to organize the Citizens Bank of Eagleville and is a stockholder and a director of that institution.   Mr. Hunsicker is a substantial and reliable citizen of his community, one who merits the high esteem in which he is held.
 [Source: History of Harrison County, Missouri, Geo. W. Wanamaker, 1921]

C.T. Hagan
was born in Washington County, Ky., January 17, 1849, and lived upon his fathers farm until twenty four years of age.  December 25, 1872, he wedded Miss Dollie Chambers, daughter of Isaiah Chambers, and then lived upon his fathers place about six years, after which he passed two years upon Mr. Chambers farm.  He then bought land in Clay Township and now owns 100 acres in Section 1, Clay Township.  His wife is a member of the Baptist Church, and he belongs to the I.O.O.F. Lodge at Cainsville, and in politics is a Democrat.  To himself and wife four children have been born, three of whom are living:  Orion, Orval [deceased], Benjamin C. and Merl.
[Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Missouri, The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1888]

James M. Hughes,
farmer and stock raiser, was born in Tazewell County, Ill., December 8, 1852, and is the fifth of eight children born to Robert and Elizabeth [Hance] Hughes.  They were of Scotch English descent, and natives of Cane Ridge, Bourbon Co. Ky, where they were married.  After their marriage they located upon a farm.  Four years later they moved to Tazwell County, Ill.  where the father engaged in farming, stock raising, and trading until the fall of 1856, when he, with his family, immigrated to Harrison County, MO., where the father died June 15, 1882, aged eighty two years, and the mother December 13, 1867, aged sixty three years.  The father was a Democrat, and himself and wife were members of the Christian Church.  James M. passed his boyhood assisting his father on the farm and receiving a practical English education.  His whole life has since been spent in farming and stock raising, and he now owns upward of 600 acres of land in the home tract, the Valley Grove stock farm.  November 14, 1858 in Linn County, Iowa, he wedded Miss Mary L. Ashlock, who was born in Tazewell County, Ill, and is the daughter of James and Belinda [Wyckoff] Ashlock.  To this union there are three children:  Mary E., Alvin L., and George H. [deceased, July 31, 1870].  Mr. Hughes is a Republican, and himself and family are members of the Christian Church.
[Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Missouri, The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1888]


John D. House
township collector and farmer of Cypress Township, was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, in 1834 and is the eldest of ten children of Edwin and Mary (Grafton) House; the former of German desccent, was born in Maryland in 1810, and in 1831 went to Columiana County, where he married in 1832, and in 1846 remooved to Jackson County, where he still resides, following the occupation of farmer and cooper.  His wife was born in Ohio in 1814, and is a member, as is Mr. House, of the Methodist Episcopal Church. 

John D. received only a common school education and in 1856 married Miss Sallie, daughter of Andrew and Permelia Butcher, formerly of Ohio, where Mrs. House was born in 1840.  This union has been blessed with thirteen children, all living in Harrison County:  Andrew B., Richard Edwin, Mary J. (wife of William Alden), Ulysses A., James L, P.C., Francis M., Leona O., John H., Rosella, Lucinda, Fannie M., and WileyH.  Immediately after his marriage he went to Harrison County, and since 1868 has resided ten miles south of Bethany, where he has a fine farm of 200 acres, the result of his own labor and good management in the occupation of farming.  In politics he is a Republican, and cast his first vote for Lincoln in 1860.  He has served as justice of the peace for two years, and as collector eight years.  Always an earnest advocate for the cause of education and for the general welfare of the county, he enjoys the esteem of all who knew him.
[Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Missouri, The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1888]


Return to Biographies Main Page

Return to Harrison County Missouri Genealogytrails Main Page


copyright Genealogytrails
with full rights reserved for original submitters