HARRISON COUNTY MISSOURI
BIOGRAPHIES
"M"

Wm. L. Magee-
was born in Madison County, KY, Aug. 2, 1831, and passed away Nov. 27, 11, at his home in Martinsville, Mo., aged 88 years,  months and 25 days.   On Feb. , 1854 he was married to Mary E. Magee who passed away Dec. 11, 1891.  To this union five children were born, two having died in infancy. Those surviving are: Mrs. Martha E. Eisenbarger, of Los Angles California; and John E. of Memphis Tenn.  On Nov. 30, 188 he was marred to Maggie Dawson who survives him.

Uncle Letch Magee [as he was commonly known] was one of the pioneers of northwest Missouri.  He and Thos. Gibbany came from Kentucky in 1853 on horseback.  When they came to the Mississippi river they were unable to secure a ferryboat, so they secured a man to take them across in a conoe, and they led their horses, which swam across.

The following winter he took a contract to make rails at 50cents per hundred.  He made $300 and used the money to enter his first forty acres of gevernment land, which cost him $1.25 per acre.  Between this time and 1856 he entered three more forty acre tracts.  The land office was located at Plattsburg, MO. and these trips were made on horseback.

When his house was raised, several came from Albany were there by sunrise.  In order to protect one's crops from stock running at large, it ws necessary to fence against them.  One hundred and twenty acres of land was thus fenced with stakes and rider fence, all of which rails he made himself.  And in order to protect the fences against pararie fires it was necessary, each fall to burn a fire guard around the fences.

He believed thourghly in education and gave the land uon which the first school house in the township was built.  This was a rough log structure covered with clapboardds, which was made by himself and Adam Funk.  This was not only the first school house in the township, but was one of the first in the county.

After the death of his beloved and devoted companion, he left the old farm and went into the general mercantile, implement and undertaking business, in which he was very successful, and in which office he retained until its duties became a burden and he resigned.

A little less than a year prior to his death, he gave the writer these bits of history, realizing he was one of the very few left and it would soon be a matter of history indeed.  He also told of hearing his grandfather, Ralph Magee, tell of his pioneer days in Kentucky, and of the terrors of the revolutionary war, in which he served for seven years.

Hence, it is with some degree of pride that it is my privilege to record this bit of history.

As the frontier has extended westward, so have the decendents gone with the call of the west, until today we are stopped only by the lapping of the great ocean breakers at our feet.  He was tenderly laid to rest in the Magee cemetery to await the resurrection day.
Mayme Eisenbarger
[Source: unknown newspaper clipping from the personal papers of Jewell Eisenbarger]

Charles McCoy-Charles McCoy was born in 1849 at Bedford, Ky.  His parents met tragic deaths when he was young.  When 13, as a messenger boy, he carried letters between North and South during the Civil War.   Soon after he and his brothers, Willie and Dennis, came to Harrison Co. where he made his home with Geor. Merdith family near New Hampton working for his keep.  In 1875 he married Viola Stockwell, daughter of Shelton.  They lived 2 miles E. of New Hampton and cleared timber to build road and the home where they lived for 45 years.  Ted Stevenson now lives there.

They were the parents of Shelton, Dan, Malley, George, Ralph, Victor and Roberta.  All are deceased but Roberta and Victor.

Charles and wife stood for better churches, schools and roads.  He was director of Albany Christian College.  They were charter members of New Hampton Christian Church organized in 1882 and he was an elder there.  He tilled the soil and raised livestock.  He was a prominent cattle man of the area.

[source: Harrison County Bicentennial History
transcribed by: Melody Beery]

ANDREW J. MCGOWEN
B:10-19-1833    D:9-5-1913

Andrew J McGowen was born in Indiana.  Son of John and Melinda (Thomas) McGowen.  He married Martha Jane Conduitt after moving to Missouri.  He was a farmer in Missouri & raised his children in Harrison Co.  He and his wife are buried in Cat Creek Cemetary & his son Lewis.  His son Willard was a Baptist minister at a small church somewhere around there for a while.  A couple of AJ McGowen's grandchildren are buried at Cat Creek cemetary also.

SUBMITTED BY: GLENDA CHANDLER

Edgar S. Miner-President of the Miner and Frees Lumber Company and one of the organizers of this company which for over forty years has been one of the most important industrial institutions of Harrison County.   The Miner and Frees Lumber Company handle coal, lumber, cement, brick, tiles and all kinds of building material.
The Miner and Frees Company does an extensive business in two states; they have yards at Ridgeway Missouri; Brimson, Missouri; Coffey, Missouri; Spickard, Missouri; Bethany, Missouri; Blythedale, Missouri; King City, Missouri; New Hampton, Missouri; Ford City, Missouri; and Leon, Iowa, the company operates fourteen yards in all and the capital and surplus of this company is $600,000.  The following are the present officers of the company, E.S. Miner of Bethany, Missouri, president; Elbert S. Miner, vice president and treasurer; Lawrence Miner Crossan, secretary and R.M. Stanley, auditor.  This company is also extnesively interested in the banking business, including the First National Bank of Ridgeway, the Bank of Mount Mariah and the Bank of Coffey, Missouri.

Edgar S. Miner was born in Madison, Wisconsin, June 19, 1846, a son of Rev. S.E. and Mariah Catherine (Kelley) Miner, the former a native of Vermont and the latter of New York.  S.E. Miner, was a Congregational minister in early life and was the first minister  of that denomination at Madison, Wisconsin.  The old church which he built, where he preached there is still standing, and also the house were E.S. Miner Miner was born, one block from the State Capitol.  Later in life he engaged in the lumber business at Monroe, Juda and Broadhead, Wisconsin.  He did an extensive business and was prominent throughout the state and was intiminately associated with the leading men of his time.

During the Civil War, although he was past the military age he took an active part in behalf of the cause of the Union and contributed his best efforts in that direction.  He was chief sanitary officer and had supervision and the care of all the Wisconsin Troops that were sick or wounded during the Atlanta campaign and furloughed all soldiers home who were unfit for duty.  He died at Gilman City, Missouri, while visiting his daughter, Mrs. George Richardson, and his remains were buried at Monroe Wisconsin.  The Miners belong to an old Colonial family which was founded at Stonington, Connecticut at an early day, and several members served in the Revolutionary War.

Edgar S. Miner was educated in the public schools and during the Civil War while he was still a mere boy, he ran away from home and elisted in Company G, First Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, Army of the Cumberland.  He enlisted in November 1862 when he was a little past sixteen.  During the course of his military career he took part in a number of important engagements and skirmishes although he was fortunately never wounded or taken prisoner.  He was under General Sherman on the Atlanta campaign.  He had one brother, Charles E. Miner, who was also a soldier in the Union Army and was serving under General Custer as sergeant when he was killed at the battle of Gettysburg.  AFter the close of the war, Edgar S. Miner, was honorably discharged and mustered out at Louisville, Kentucky.

After he was discharged from the army, Mr. Miner returned to his home at Monroe and became foreman in his father's lumber yard.  He remained in that capacity until 1880 when he in partnership with Captain Benjamin Frees, established the Miner and Frees Lumber business at Bethany, Missouri.  At that time there was no railroad in Harrison County and their first lumber was hauled from Lamoni, Iowa by wagons to Bethany, Missouri.  This was the beginning of the Miner and Frees lumber business, whis in forty years has reached its present magnitude and has become one of the important business concerns, not only of Harrison County but of the state of Missouri.

E.S. Miner was married in 1868 to Miss Ermina Gardner, a native of Monroe, Wisconsin.  She is a daughter of Hon. E.T. Gardner who was prominent in the affairs of that state and served as a member of the Wisconsin Territorial Legislature and later was a state senator.  He was a prominent attorney and practiced for many years at Monroe, Wisconsin.  Mrs. Miner had a brother, Capt. Silas E. Gardner, who served as chief of scouts under General William T. Sherman, during the Civil War.  He is now deceased.

To Mr. and Mrs. Miner have been born the following children:  Daisy, married E. M. Crossan, who is now deceased and she resides with her parents at Bethany, and one son, Lawrence M. Crossan, who served as lietuenant in the World War, and is now engaged in the automobile business at Bethany, and Shirley, who is now the wife of G.C. Zingerle, of Bethany.

Mr. Miner ia a Knights Templar Mason and a member of the Grand Army of the Republic.  He has always supported the policies and principals of the Republican party and takes a keen interest in politcal matters and for many years he has been an active temperance worker.  Mr. Miner is progressive and public spirited and has always stood ready to do his part for the betterment and upbuilding of his town and county.
[Source: History of Harrison County, by Geo. W. Wanamaker,1921]


BACK TO BIOGRAPHIES INDEX PAGE

BACK TO HARRISON COUNTY INDEX PAGE

Copyright © Genealogy Trails All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor