HARRISON COUNTY MISSOURI
|Daniel B. Neff|
farmer and stock raiser of Harrison County, Mo., is a son of Elihu S. and Amanda M. (Howell) Neff, and was born in Franklin County, Ind., September 15, 1842. He was reared upon his father's farm, and during his early youth received a common school education, and at the age of eighteen accompanied his brother to Harrison County, Mo., where he has since resided. In 1862 he served six months in the militia, under Capt. Henry Howe, and in 1863 enlisted in Company I, First Missouri State Militia Cavalry for three years, or during the war. For about two years he worked as a blacksmith, although he had never learned the trade, and at the consolidation of his company with Company M was chosen orderly sergeant, which office he held until mustered out. He was in the battle of Marshall, and on the last Price raid, and in 1865 returned home after peace was declared.
The same year he was united in marriage with Miss Nancy E. Wiley, who was born in Johnson County, Ind., in 1844, and is a daughter of John and Nancy (Moore) Wiley. Mr. and Mrs. Wiley moved from Ohio to Indiana when young, and were there married. The father died in that State in 1852, and the mother then came with her children to Harrison County, Missouri, in 1860, where she spent the remainder of her days. Mr. and Mrs. Neff are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and to them eight children have been born: George T., Landa T., Mintie O., Emma M., Joseph S., Addie O., Eva L. and Essie M.
Mr. Neff began life in this county with about $150 in gold, to which he added the money earned while in the war, and his wife contributed $1,000. This amount he judiciously invested in land and in 1866 moved upon his present place, which now contains 3,160 acres of fine land, making Mr. Neff one of the successful and influential farmer citizens of the county, where he has resided over twenty-seven years. He is an extensive stock dealer, and owns from 300 to 400 head of cattle. In politics Mr. Neff is a Republican.
Source: The History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Missouri, Goodspeeds 1881
JOHN W. NELSON -whose farm lies three miles northwest of the city of Snohomish, is one of the more recent arrivals in the community, but in the short time he has been engaged in farming here he has gained for himself a reputation as a man of forceful character and resourcefulness. Mr. Nelson was born in Harrison County, Missouri, April 21, 1868, one of the eight children of Robert and Nancy (Coleman) Nelson, natives of Kentucky who went to Missouri in 1816.
The elder Nelson had been a brickmaker, but after settling in Missouri became a farmer, though at times he returned to brick making. He served as a member of the Sixth Missouri cavalry throughout the greater part of the Civil War. He passed away in the Soldiers' Home at Leavenworth, Kansas, in 1890. Mrs. Nelson is still living and makes her home with the subject of this biography. She is the mother of the following children besides John W.: James M., Thomas W., Mrs. Eliza McCee, Mrs. Josephine Darnell, Margaret Ford of Bethany, Missouri, and Mrs. Nora Petty, the last named being a resident of Everett. Besides these our subject has a half brother and sister.
John W. Nelson received his education in the schools of Bethany, Missouri, and at the age of twenty-two left home to do for himself. He followed various occupations in Missouri until 1900, when he left his native state and came to the shores of Puget sound. For two years he worked at farming near Snohomish, but in 1902 he went to Montana, from which state he returned two years later to Snohomish, where he purchased his present place. In politics Mr. Nelson is a Democrat, though not an aspirant to public office. He is a young man of varied attainments, popular in the community where he is making his home and wherever he is known.
Source: An Illustrated History of Skagit and Snohomish Counties, Inter-State Publishing Company, Chicago, Illinois, 1906. Submitted by M.K.Krogman.
NOLL- died at his home in Bethany, August 17, 1910, in his
seventy-ninth year. He was born in Germany in 1832. He came to
the United States and made his home until 1857 in Illinois, where he
followed his trade, stone masonary. He came to Bethany in 1874 and
continued in the brick business for a number of years, then engaged in the
grocery business. He was a republican, a member of the G.A.R. having
served from 1862 until the close of the war in Company A, Twenty-seventh
Missouri Volunteer Infantry. He was identified with the Catholic
Transcribed From:HISTORY OF NORTHWEST MISSOURI;EDITED BY: WALTER WILLIAMS;ASSISTED BY: ADVISORY AND CONTRIBUTING EDITORS;COPYRIGHT: 1915
submitted by: Melody Beery