|George W. Selby-A well known
and highly respected citizen of Bethany, Missouri, was born in Decatur
County Indiana, the son of William M. and Martha J. (Flint) Selby.
Mr. and Mrs. William M. Selby were married in Indiana and came to Harrison
County in 1841, and settled in Sherman Township, four miles east of the
present site of Bethany. William Selby owned between 300 and 400
acres of land at the time of his death, August 28, 1900, at the age of
eight one years. His wife died when forty four years of age, and
both are buried in Antioch Cemetery. When William M. Selby made the
trip here from Indiana, he was accompanied by Dave Terry, each furnishing
a horse to make the team they drove. Mr. Selby built a cabin, 14x16
feet, in dimensions with joist across, pole roof and covered with
clapboards, weighted down. His family were forced to go
without shoes for a winter or two until John S. Allen made shoes for
Mr. and Mrs. William M. Selby were the parents of the following children: George W., the subject of this sketch; Joshua J., who died on his farm in Sherman Township; J.P. Thomas J., who died on the home farm; John F., who died in Bethany Township; Jesse, deceased; and Rachel, who married Leonard Nichols, now deceased and who lives on the home place.
George W. Selby owns seventy two acres of land adjoining the home place in Sherman Township, where he made his home until 1918, when he and his wife moved to Bethany, where they and their son, James Franklin, are living together.
George W. Selby was married in 1862 to Martha J. Buck, a daughter of Bethuel and Mary Buck, who were among the earliest settlers of Bethany Township. Mrs. Selby was born in Tennessee, and came with her parents to this county about 1842, and her parents died here and are buried in Miriam Cemetery.
Mr. and Mrs. George W. Selby are the parents of four children: Willaim B. of Butler Township, who married Mary A. Alley of Ponca City, Oklahamoa; Mary C. , the wife of George W. Hammons of Bethany, Missouri; James Franklin, who has been a city mail carrier for the past three years in Bethany; and Emma Mabel, the wife of W.A. Wethered, of Bethany.
the grandchildren of Mr. and Mrs. Selby are: George William and Raymond Selby; Alma Selby, wife of Raymond Trimm of McFall, Missouri; Edgar Selby, Arthur W. Hammons, Lenore Wells of Kansas City, Missouri, Lester Wayne Selby, May Illeene Wethered. the have two great grandchildren: Raymond L. Trimm, and Norman Keefe Selby.
During the Civil War, George W. Selby, enlisted in 1863, at Bethany, Missouri, under Captain Sutton of the 43rd Missouri Cavalry. Part of the time he was in camp at Weston, Missouri, and the Company was at Platte City, and St. Joseph Missouri. He was mustered out at Albany, Missouri, after six months service.
James Franklin Selby, city mail carrier of Bethany, was born July 1, 1880, and educated in the schools of the county, and attended Bethany High School for two years. After finishing his education, he engaged in farming on the home place in Sherman Township until October 2, 1918, when he was appointed to his present position. He was married August 20, 1905 to Bessie Lillian Vanderpool, a daughter of B.P. and Catherine Vanderpool of Gilman City, Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Selby have a son, Lester Wayne, born June 28, 1906.
George W. Selby has an extensive acquaintance in Bethany and Harrison County and is a substantial citizen.
[Source: History of Harrison County, Geo. W. Wanamaker, 1921]
|Dr. George W. Sellers-a
well known physician and surgeon who began the practice of his profession
in Harrison County at an early day is now living retired at Mount
Moriah. He was born in Green County, Ohio, July 15, 1839, a son of
Daniel and Mary (Minic) Sellers, both natives of Pennsylvania.|
In 1840, when Dr. Sellers was less than a year old the family came West and settled in Peoria County, Illinois. In 1856 they came to Harrison County and settled seven miles north of Bethany, in what is now Jefferson Township. The mother homesteaded government land here and the father went to the Pacific coast where he remained a number of years and returned to Indiana, where he died. The mother died in Harrison County and is buried at Mount Moriah. Of the children born to them three are now living as follows: Joseph, Ponca City, Oklahoma; Mrs. M. B. Dale, a widow who lives at Geneseo, Kansas and Doctor George W., the subject of this sketch.
Dr. George W. Sellers was thrown upon his own resources at an early age. He obtained what education he could in the common schools which he supplemented by self study. He was always ambitious and a close student and after acquiring a good general education, he entered the American Medical College in St. Louis where he was graduated with the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1878. Shortly after graduating he engaged in the practice of his profession in Mount Moriah. He practiced over a large scope of territory during the early days when the roads were bad and in many instances there were no roads at all. He endured all the hardships incident to the life of the pioneer doctor. He traveled much on horseback, responding to calls at all times of night and day and during all manner of weather conditions. He had a large practice and was one of the most successful doctors of Harrison County. For a number of years his son, Dr. C.J. Sellers, practiced in partnership with him. About five years ago on account of failing health he retired from the practice and since that time he has lived retired in Mount Moriah, his son continuing the practice alone.
Doctor Sellers was married July 21, 1861 to Catharine Eades, a native of Crab Orchard, Kentucky. To Doctor and Mrs. Sellers have been born six children, three of whom are living as follows: Evyline, married Charles Webb, Bethany, Missouri; Dr. Charles J., a sketch of whom appears in this volume and Cora A. , married Dr. John T. Price, of Shamrock, Oklahoma.
Doctor Sellers is a Democrat and takes a commendable interest in public affairs. He was the first constable of Jefferson Township but since that time has refused to accept public office. He is a member of the Christian Church and a highly esteemed citizen of the county.
[Source: History of Harrison County, Geo. W. Wanamaker, 1921]
|Harry C. Shroyer-one of the
live, progressive men of Bethany and manager of the Shroyer Music Company,
is a son of John W. Shroyer, who died March 20, 1916.|
John W. Shroyer was born in Anderson, Indiana, in 1842, and was educated there, but moved to Iowa when a young man and was married at Waterloo, Iowa, to Mary A. Krautz of that place. Mrs. Shroyer is living and spends her time at Waterloo, Iowa, in the winter and in the summer stays with her son, Harry Shroyer. From Iowa, Mr. Shroyer went to Kansas, where he stayed for eighteen months, at the end of which time he came to Bethany and located here permanently in 1886. His first business venture here was in the broom manufacturing business when he established a plant just northwest of the square on Central Street. He organized the music company in 1893, but continued the broom making plant for several years afterward. John Shroyer was a member of the Knights of Pythias and an active G.A.R. man. During the Civil War he served in Company G, Eight fourth Indiana Volunteers.
Harry C. Shroyer began with his father when but fourteen years of age. In the year 1893 he quit school on account of ill health and went on the wagon, driving through the county selling organs. He made his first organ sale in 1895 to Joe Pontus, who lived north of Ridgeway, Mr. Pontus paying therefor $140.00. Mr. Shroyer still does a great deal of outside work and the business has increased until Mr. Shroyer not only sells organs, but handles ianos, talking machines, player pianos and everything in the muscial line. He recently sold the band of New Hampton a full set of musical instruments. This company also has a branch at Albany, Missouri, with Norman Morgan as manager, and has four trucks on the road selling and delivering insturments.
The Shroyer Music Company has an extensive business in Harrison, Gentry, Worth and adjoining counties and are also doing a nice business in Iowa. Mr. Shroyer is a hustler, working early and late, and is the fourth largest dealer in Edison phonographs in the Des Moines-Sioux City district, selling more than $60,000.00 worth of Edisons in 1920. Mr. Shroyer was on the program for a talk June 21, 1921, on salesmanship, his subject being: "Get Out and Get It."
Harry C. Shroyer was married to Margaret I. King, of Bethany, Missouri, December 25, 1907, and they have one daughter, Jean.
Mr. Shroyer is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows of Bethany, joining when eighteen years of age, having a special permit on account of him being a musician. He is also a member of the Knights of Pythias at Bethany, and a member of the National Association of Musical Merchants, since its organization in 1914.
Mr. Shroyer is well known and favorably known in Bethany, and takes an interest in the affairs of his town.
[Source: History of Harrison County, Geo. W. Wanamaker, 1921]
was born in Bohemia, in the western part of the Austrian Empire, June 11, 1854, and is a son of Joseph and Annie (Fiala) Skroh. the father was a tanner by trade, but abandoned the same for farming. He and his wife's family immigrated to America in 1869, and immediately proceeded to Harrison County, Mo., where Mr. Skroh lived until his death, July 19, 1875. He left a family of three children: Joseph, Anthony and Annie, who remained at home until 1877. They then spent three years in Princeton at the expiration of which Anthony returned to the old homestead with his sister (who died two years later), and Joseph remained in Princeton.
Previous to the death of his sister Mr. Skroh married Mary Stoklasa, a native of the same part of Bohemia in which he was born, and whose father came to this country in 1876 This marriage has been blessed with three children: Annie Rozi, Frederick W., and Charles H. Mr. Skroh is a well to do farmer, and the owner of 150 acres of valuable land, and is one of the enterprising men of the township. His father was a prominent citizen in his neighborhood during his life, and held several offices. He wasw over sixty two years of age at the time of his death, and his wife died at the age of over forty nine years.
Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Goodspeed's 1888
Dr. H. J. Skinner-
is the oldest practicing physician of Harrison County, and one of the leading citizens of Bethany, the county seat. He was born in Perry County, Ohio, March 10, 1831, and is the seventh of nine children born to Samuel and Elizabeth (Hazelton) Skinner, natives of Pennsylvania. The father was born in Somerset County, December 10, 1790, and was a son of Nathaniel Skinner, also a native of that county, and a soldier in the Revolutionary War, who removed to Belmont County, Ohio, late in life, where he died. The mother was born in Westmoreland County, in 1796 and was a daughter of John and Barbara Hazelton, also natives of that county. John Hazelton was a farmer, and late in life removed to Licking County, Ohio, where himself and wife both died. Samuel Skinner the father of our subject, moved to Perry County, Ohio, about 1818, and engaged in farming and working at the blacksmith's trade. He was highly respected and esteemed in the community where he lived, and for twenty years filled the office of justice of the peace. His death occurred January 14, 1863, and his wife died in Clinton County, Ill., in 1868. She was a member of the Baptist Church.
H.J. Skinner was reared upon a farm, and during his youth attained a fair education by first attending the district schools and afterward the Somerset Academy, in Ohio. He was a schoolmate of Lieut. Gen. Philip Sheridan; the two boys leaving school the same day, one to enter college and the other to take up the study of medicine. H.J. Skinner began the study of his chosen profession at the age of seventeen, at new Lexington, under Dr. A. Lewis, with whom he spent three years, after which he spent two years under Dr. Van Nalta, at the same place. His parents having in the meantime removed to White County, Ind., he joined them and began to practice medicine in that neighborhood. From 1855 to November 17, 1857 he lived in various places and then located at Eagleville, Harrison Co. Mo., where he practiced until November 17, 1870, when he was elected clerk of the circuit court and register of deeds of Harrison County, by the Republicans, and removed to Bethany. In 1874he was re-elected without opposition in his own party, and again in 1878 was elected, thus holding the office twelve consecutive years. After retiring from public life he resumed his medical practice which he has since continued with success. January 15, 1854 he married Susan Duncan, who was born in Tippecanoe County, Ind., September 28, 1837, and was a daughter of William and Mary Duncan. This union was blessed with one son and one daughter: Josephine S., wife of John J. Warringer, of Bethany, and Charles H., a physician of Denver, Colo. Mrs. Skinner died September 25, 1862, and August 5, 1864, Dr. Skinner married her sister, Charlotta, who was born in White County, Ind., March 8, 1840, and was the mother of five children: Edna R. (wife of Thomas Monson), Willie (born April 12, 1867 and died September 12, 1870), Harry B., Loren H. and Laura C. (twins). Mrs. Skinner died July 12, 1884, and the Doctor then married Emily J. Hess, a native of Indiana, born June 10, 1850, and daughter of Judiah and Mary Osmon.
Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Goodspeed's 1888
Transcribed From:HISTORY OF NORTHWEST MISSOURI;EDITED BY: WALTER WILLIAMS;ASSISTED BY: ADVISORY AND CONTRIBUTING EDITORS;COPYRIGHT: 1915
submitted by: Melody Beery
|Nathan T. Slatten-a
successful farmer and stockman of Cypress Township, was born August 25,
1888, in Sherman Township, the son of James L. and Rozetta (Bartlett)
James L. Slatten was born Mrch 24, 1860, in Sherman Township, where he now lives. His wife died October 4, 1918, and is buried in Bethany, Missouri. Tyre Slatten, grandfather of Nathan Slatten was one of the earliest settlers of Sherman Township, where he entered land now owned by James Slatten. He died in 1912 at the age of eighty eight years.. Nathan Bartlett, maternal grandfather of Nathan Slatten lives in Ridgeway, Missouri.
The children of James L. and Rozetta Slatten are: Lizzie, the wife of Bert Guyman of Bethany, Missouri; Essie, the wife of Cliff Selby of Sherman Township; Nathan T., the subject of this sketch; Edith, the wife of Forest White of Independence, Kansas; Harlan and Amon of Sherman Township; and Elva, who lives on the home place.
Nathan T. Slatten was educated in the public schools of Sherman Township, and in Bethany, Missouri. He farmed in Sherman Townshp until 1913, when he moved to the W.H. Leazenby farm, where he now lives. Mr. Slatten farms 200 acres here, nearly all bottom land and he also feeds stock, being quite successful.
August 20, 1911, Nathan T. Slatten was married to Bertha May Leazenby, a daughter of W. H. and Rhoda May (Neff) Leazenby of Mount Mariah, Missouri. W.H. Leazenby was born in Trail Creek Township January 13, 1861, and his wife was born in Fox Creek Township. His father was one of the pioneer settlers of Yankee Ridge.
Mr. and Mrs. W.H. Leazenby were the parents of the following children: Albert B., who died at the age of twenty six years; Charles E. of Mount Moriah, Missouri; Eugene of Madison Township; Mrs Slatten; J. Harlan of Ridgeway, Missouri; Robert H. who lives at home; Ruth A., the wife of Jack Dale of Bethany, Missouri and Mary Lucille, who died in infancy.
Mr. and Mrs. Slatten have two children: Albert Lewis and William Nathan.
The Slatten family are well known and among the substantial citizens of Harrison County.
[Source: The History of Harrison County, Missouri, by Geo. Wanamaker, 1921]
|James B. Slemmons-an
enterprising member of the firm of Slemmons and Walker, of Bethany,
Missouri, was born in Plattsburg, Clinton County, Missouri, August 3,
1869, the son of Beverly T. and Nancy J. (Burr) Slemmons, both of whom
died in King City, Missouri, and are buried there. Mr. Slemmons
received his education in the public schools and entered the mercantile
business September 1, 1890 and has been engaged in this line of work
continuously since that time.|
Mr. Slemmons was married September 1, 1892 to Mollie J. Walker and they have a daughter Lucille, now a teacher in Bloomfield, Iowa. She was educated at Lake Forest, Chicago, Illinois and at Grinnell College in Iowa, specializing in English which she teaches. Mr. Slemmons is a member of the Knights of Pythias Lodge.
[Source: The History of Harrison County, Missouri, by Geo. Wanamaker, 1921]
|Dr. Felix G. Smith-A well known
physician of Bethany, is a member of a prominent pioneer family of the
county. The Smith family has been known in Harrison County since the
first half of the nineteenth century, and the men of the family have been
prominent in political afairs of the county and the state for many
Hercules Smith, deceased, the father of Dr. Felix G. Smith, was born near Elizabethtown, Hardin County, Kentucky, in 1821, and came to Scotland County, Missouri, in 1848. His father, David G. Smith, came from the same county in Kentucky to Missouri in 1850 and joined his son, Hercules, in a land venture in Scotland County. They entered a large tract of land, and were successful operators of these large farms all their lives. At his death in 1898 in Scotland County, Hercules Smith held more than 500 acres near Memphis, Missouri. Hercules Smith was married to Mary Ellen Leeman of Hardin County, Kentuck, who died in 1891. Her remains are buried in the Baptist Church Cemetery in Miller Township, and the remains of her husband are buried in the Cumberland Presbyterian Cemetery. To their union the following children were born: Matilda, the wife of John L. Drake of Lancaster, Missouri; Elizabeth died at the age of twenty-one years; Mollie, the wife of E.M. Giles of Ridgeway, Missouri; Thomas J. , a graduate of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Keokuk, Iowa, and of the Ensworth Medical College at St. Joseph, and now located in Long Beach, California; Sarah Eliza, wife of James Colvin of Maryville, Missouri; Felix G., the subject of this sketch; Nancy wife of Shadrach Bridges of Decatur, Illinois; W.L. Formerly in the drug business at Maysville, then at McFall, and now in the same business at Albany, Missouri; America, married to Ambrose Dunagan, a druggist of Ridgeway, Missouri; John Chilton, mention of whom appears later in the review; and Charlotte, the widow of Richard Watkins of Alliance Nebraska.
Dr. John Chilton Smith is a graduate of the Ensworth Medical College of St. Joseph and is a registered pharmacist by examination. He clerked for a brother in Grant City for a few years, but since 1885 has owned and conducted a drug store on the west side of the square at Albany. Here he keeps a full line of drugs and does a good business. He does office practice in connection with his work in the store. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias Lodge and of the Redmen.
Felix G. Smith, the subject of this sketch, is a graduate of the Ensworth Medical College at St. Joseph. He is a man of a varied and interesting experiences. He began to teach school in 1872, and taught his last school in Worth County, in 1879. He then entered the drug business at Denver, Missouri, where he remained one year. He then went into the drug business at Grant City, remained their three years and entered the same buiness at Albany, where he remained another three years. For the past thirty-three years he has lved in Bethany, and until nine years ago, he conducted a drug business there in connection with which he did office practice much of the time; the past nine years he had spent in California.
Dr. Smith owns one of the good business buildings of Bethany, and is proud of his town and county. The Smith family was accustomed to holding family reunions each year for several years prior to the death of the mother. There are ten of the family still living, the youngest being past sixty two years of age and the oldest more than seventy seven years old. They are a long lived family. The great grandfather, James Smith, of Hardin County, Kentucky, lived to be 107 years of age.
The Smiths have always been prominent Democrats, all four of the Smith brothers having taken active parts in Democratic party politics in northwest Missouri. In the Congressional Conventions held at Plattsburg, Missouri, three of the brothers were present and each supported a different candidate. Dr. Felix G. Smith was allied with the supporters of T.A. Dunn, a banker of Bethany; Dr.J.C. Smith was equally ardent in his support of Ed Ayleshire of Stanberry; and Dr. T.J. Smith upheld the cause of "Toot" Hudson of Grant City. Each of the brothers stood by his candidate until the question was settled by the nomination of John Daugherty. At the Democratic State Convention at Sedalia in 1892, Dr. Felix G. Smith was elected an alternate to the Democratic National Convention at Chicago, which nominated Grover Cleveland for the presidency. The Doctor has entertained several prominent democrats at his home in Bethany. Among these were W.J. Bryan, Senator William J. Stone, R.P. Hobson, Gov. A.M. Dockery and many of the leading politicians of the state.
Doctor Smith was appointed to the office of county collector of revenues by Governor Folk in 1906 and served for a year in that capacity. He also served as United States pension examiner during the first term of Grover Cleveland's administration. His brother, Dr. T.J. Smith, served on the same board at Grant City at the special request of the old soldiers of Worth County. Dr. F. G. Smith is a member of the Masonic ordre and of the Knights of Pythias. He served as chancellor commander of the Knights of Pythias for two years and was very efficent in his work. Families such as that founded by Hercules Smith have been influential in moulding the destiny of the county and the state. It is particularly fitting that in a volume of this character due honor be given to such men.
[Source History of Harrison County, Missouri, by Geo. W. Wanamaker, 1921]
JAMES ALEXANDER STEWART-
James Alexander Stewart was born September 8, 1834 in Pittsburg,
PA, the son of Henry Stewart and Ruth (Castor) Stewart. Henry
Stewart was born Nov. 8, 1798 and died Jan. 12, 1871, buried at Van Buren,
Iowa. Ruth (Castor) Stewart was born in 1801, married Henry Stewart
June 7, 1821. They were the parents of Marcus B.,James Alexander, Mary,
Rebecca, Clark, Henry and Castor. James Alexander migrated to Fort
Madison Iowa in the year 1855, it is not known if Henry Stewart migrated
to Iowa at the same time. James Alexander married Melissa Elizabeth
Pooler, the daughter of Anthony and Thankful Pooler. Melissa Pooler
was born June 11, 1837 in Ohio. James and Melissa were married
February 25, 1857 in Des Moines County, Iowa. James Alexander
migrated to Missouri sometime after 1871. It is believed
that Ruth (Castor) Stewart moved to Missouri at the same time, dying on
the trail to Mo. but there is no proof of this.
One of the
progressive, enterprising and be exact, from Ray County, Missouri, where
he had spent a few years and where he had lived during the war, in which
he served as a member of the Missouri State Militia. He had gone to Ray
County to take up farming from Rush County, Indiana, having received a
limited education in the' district schools of the Hoosier state, and in
Rush County was married to Amanda Ellis, daughter of Judge Ellis, a farmer
and Christian preacher who came to Missouri and settled in Harrison County
about the time of Mr. Stockwell's migration. Judge Ellis died here as did
his wife, their home being located about six miles south of the Town of
On coming to
Harrison County, Shelton M. Stockwell settled three miles west of Bethany,
purchasing the Jo Riggs farm, on which he carried on farming and
stock-raising in a thorough and successful manner, doing the substantial
improvement necessary to make a productive farm and erecting buildings for
the comfort of his family and the shelter of his stock, grain and
implements. He was one of the early feeders here and for his own use bred
the Poland-China hog, while the Short Horn cattle stocked his pastures and
were of his own breeding. He was a man close to the people, his neighbors,
without political ambitions, although strong as a republican. He favored
public education and always gave it his moral and financial support,
although he had had but few advantages in his own youth, and in this
respect his wife was much like him, although her opportunities had,
perhaps, been a little greater. She still survives and resides at Bethany
, her eighty-eighth birthday having occurred November 17, 1914. She is
identified with the Christian Church, and Mr. Stockwell's membership
therein dated from early life. He was unfriendly to secret organizations,
and in his intercourse with men never essayed to speak in public. Mr.
Stockwell passed away, universally respected and esteemed, on his farm in
Harrison County , July 13, 1895, when his community lost a strong,
stirring and helpful citizen. The children of Shelton M. and Amanda
Stockwell were as follows: Alonzo, a resident of Bethany; Belle, who is
the wife of J. W. Kerlin, of Albany, Missouri; Viola, who married Charles
McCoy, of White Oak Township, Harrison County; Alice, who is the wife of
W. M. Claytor, also of White Oak Township; Elizabeth, who is the widow of
the late R. A. Cowan, and resides at Bethany; Jennie, who is the wife of
J. B. Rhodus, of that place; and Samuel B. The father
of Shelton M. Stockwell was a native of Bourbon County , Kentucky , who
had all the Kentuckian's love for fine horseflesh and was a dealer in and
breeder of that animal, also engaging in general farming pursuits. Some
time after his marriage to Miss Goff, a German woman whose family was
prominently known in Bourbon County , he moved to Rush County, Indiana,
and there continued to be engaged as a farmer during the remainder of his
life. He was also a local preacher of the Christian Church, and both he
and his wife are buried in Indiana . Their children were as follows:
Eliza, who became the wife of a Mr. Cowan and spent her life in Indiana;
Parson, who died in Missouri; Elisha, who died in Ray County, Missouri;
Shelton M., the father of Samuel B., and born in Bourbon County, Kentucky;
Margaret, who married Hugh Cowan and died in Indiana; and Robert, who
passed away in Harrison County, Missouri.
Stockwell was born on the farm on which he now lives, December 28, 1870.
His life as a boy and youth was brought into close connection with stock
and he began buying cattle when he was but thirteen years of age, in the
meantime securing his education in the community schools, and in which, to
use Mr. Stockwell's own words, "he went as far as he could." lie was about
eighteen years of age when he became manager of the home farm, and eight
years later was put in full control of it. He fed his first load of cattle
in 1896, and has been identified with feeding every year since, his
operations gradually increasing in scope and importance until he is now
accounted one of the leading stockmen of the county. Mr. Stockwell's ranch
comprises land in sections 12 and 13, in township 63, range 29,
aggregating 240 acres; in Bethany Township he owns land in sections 7 and
18, same township and range, aggregating 160 acres, all joining and making
a handsome ranch devoted to horses, mules and cattle; and he also operates
a leased ranch near Hatfield, Missouri, an important part of his
Mr. Stockwell is a republican, but he is entirely without political
ambitions, and has never even attended local or other conventions. He cast
his first presidential vote for Benjamin Harrison, in 1892. Possessing a
pleasing personality and being an intelligent and interesting
conversationalist, Mr. Stockwell has formed many acquaintances in Harrison
County and has retained them as friends. He is a member of the Odd Fellows
and Knights of Pythias, having taken some interest in fraternal matters,
and with Mrs. Stockwell attends the Christian Church, with which both are
Stockwell was married April 17, 1910, at Saint Joseph , Missouri , by Rev.
M. M. Goode, to Miss Sadie J. Sutton, a daughter of John H. and Ellen
(Hubbard) Sutton, of Rush County, Indiana. Mr. Sutton was reared in Davies
County , Missouri , and has lived in Harrison County since 1888, has been
a prominent contractor for many years, and has four sons following the
same line of work. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Sutton are: Leonard H.,
Henry G., Fred K., Ralph H., Mrs. Stockwell, Nell K., who is county
superintendent of schools of Harrison County , John H., Jr., and Herbert
Source: A History
of Northwest Missouri Volume III; publ. 1915 in III Volumes; Edited by
Copyright Â© Genealogy Trails All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor