Eagleville Methodist Church.
The second Methodist class organized in
Harrison County was at Eagleville some time prior to 1858. They held
meetings in a log school house which stood near the
In 1859 a lot was procured in the southwest
part of town and a frame house of worship was erected there. Because
of the Civil War the church was not completed until the cold winter
of 1863-1864. Services were held before there was a floor and
benches were used as seats. The first church building had one room
with a belfry, a porch and two doors on the east. The porch was
built on pillars which was convenient for a wagon or buggy to drive
up to it and let the family step directly on to it. There was a
partition about three feet high built through the church. The
women entered the door on the north and sat on the north side of the
partition while the men entered through the south door and occupied the
south side. The mothers usually kept the infants and smaller
children with them but as soon as the little boys were old enough to
behave they were privileged to sit with the men.
The Eagleville Christian Church
The Eagleville Christian Church congregation
was organized sometime in the 1860's by Elder Lockhart who held a revival
meeting in the village, the result of which was 60 conversions. They
held their services in the Methodist church, public hall and other places
until 1875, at which time a good frame building 30' x 50' in size was
erected. On Feb. 18, 1902 the Christian Church building burned with all
the contents, including records. On Feb. 23, 1902 the members met in
the bank building to consider rebuilding. The congregation voted to
rebuild and appointed James Miranda, John Barber and G.D. Cramer as
building committee. M.D. Russel, father of Carlos Russell, was the
master carpenter. Geo. Hunsicker's grandfather Loy hauled the bell
for the church from Princeton, Mo with a team and
The Baptist Church
The Baptist Church was organized by Elder John
Woodward of Cainesville, April 23, 1864 with 13 members. For ten
years they worshiped in the M.E. church. In the fall of 1874 they
built a beautiful frame house of worship at a cost $1,500.00.
Pastors of the church were: John Woodwar (6 years), J.H. Burrows (4
years), John Woodward (2 years again), M.N. Allen (a short time) and V.M.
Harper (2 years).
Copyright © Genealogy Trails All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor