Genealogytrails Harrison County, Missouri
The "County Farm"

Paupers-"The poor ye have with you always" said the Divine Master,
and to care for them properly is a duty incumbent upon all civilized communities


The early records of the Harrison County court contain the somewhat startling announcement that the paupers were let to the lowest bidder, a procedure which has since happily been abandoned by the purchse of a farm for the accommondation of this rather numerous class of unfortunates.  The first allusion to the poor is found in the minutes of the June term, 1847, where appears the following brief but quaint record: "Henry Fuller, sheriff, lets John Richardson, a pauper, to the lowest bidder, and John Foster takes him at $38 for twelve months."  A little later Sarah Cox was ordered "let to the lowest bidder," but from the records it does not appear that competition in her case was very spirited.

At the December term, 1866, John W. Brown, who had been previously appointed to purchase land for a poor farm, presented a deed for the following tract of land:  The southwest quarter of Section 9, and the northwest and northeast quarters of Section 16, Township 64, Range 27, containing in all 280 acres.  Two years later the necessary buildings were erected, since which time the farm has afforded a comfortable home for the poor and indigent classes of the county.

Source: The History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Goodspeeds, 1881



Back to Index

Copyright © Genealogy Trails All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor