As early as 1846 a stabbing affray occurred near Bethany between Josiah Spurgin and Jacob Mitchell, in which the latter was killed.  The trouble was caused by a too free use of whiskey, both parties having been in a state of intoxication when the quarrel took place.  Spurgin was arrested and tried at the March term of the circuit court, 1847, before the follwoing jury: William C. Allcock, David Duan, Joel Harris, Hugh Hamlin, Josiah J. Allen, William Hamlin, William Hunter, Alfred Daniel, Daniel M. Thompson, Able W. Allen, James Edmiston and Michael Ballew.  The jury, after hearing the evidence in the case, returned a verdict of manslaughter in the third degree, and assessed the punishment at three years in the State prison.
[Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Missouri, St. Louis and Chicago, The Goodspeed Publishing Co, 1888]
Dr. A

In the town of Bethany, Harrison County, Missouri, a short time since a Dr. A., under the influence of the "green-eyed Mosnter," had accused his wife with infidelity, and had left her.  But on his return he was seized by a number of gentlemen, whose wives the Doctor had also slandered, who forming a circle in the street, prevented his escape, while a large number of ladies castigated him with cowhides to the tune of one hundred and fifty lashes!!  The Doctor soon left for "parts unknown".
Source: Weekly Commercial, (Wilmington, North Carolina, Sept 10, 1852
About 1856
Dr. Tennis

About the year 1856 one Dr. Tennis was killed in a Bethany saloon by the barkeeper, George Young.  It appears that the two men had a difficulty over some drinks, and, being under the influence of whiskey, they soon became engaged in a violent quarrel, during the progress of which Young struck the Doctor upon the head with a heavy bottle, inflicting a terrible and fatal wound.  After realizing what he had done, the saloon keeper ran out of the building and made good his escape from the town.  The Doctor lingered in great agony for a few days, until death kindly put an end to his suffering.

[Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Missouri, St. Louis and Chicago, The Goodspeed Publishing Co, 1888]
Killing of Charles Burger-
In the year 1863 Charles Burger was shot and killed near the Iowa State line by his neighbor, Christopher Shaeffer.  A grudge of long standing had existed between the two men, and Burger, it appears, had been in the habit of killing Shaeffer's stock whenever an opportunity for so doing presented itself.  This stung the latter to madness, and he was heard to make the threat that he would kill Burger if his stock was not left alone.  Hearing the report of a gun early one morning Mr. Shaeffer looked in the direction of Burgers farm and saw the latter in the field shooting at some hogs, which he (Shaffer) at once recognized as being his own.  Seizing his gun he started across the field, and when near Burger called to him to stop shooting, whereupon the latter turned and placing his weapon in position advanced toward the enemy, with the intention, doubtless to shot him.  Shaeffer brought his gun to aim very quickly and fired first, the entire charge taking effect in Burger's breast, killing him instantly.  After committing the fatal deed Shaeffer went back to his home, and, ordering his wife and children to leave the house for a few minutes, took off his boots, seated himeself in a chair, placed the muzzle of the loaded gun barrel to his forehead, and touching the trigger with his toes, blew nearly the entire top of his head off.  Shaeffer was a discharged soldier from Merrill's Calvary, and a man of reputable standing in the community.  Both men left families.
[Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Missouri, St. Louis and Chicago, The Goodspeed Publishing Co, 1888]

About the year 1863 there occurred, near the southern boundary of the county, in Butler Township, a bloody tragedy, rendered doubly horrible by the intimate relationship that existed between the murderer and his victim.  John and Hart Elliott were two brothers whose friendship and intimacy had long been the subject of comment among the citizens of the community.  No trouble of any kind had ever existed between the two men, consequently the startling announcement one day that John Elliott had killed his brother was for a time entertained as an idle and silly joke.  The rumor, though at first treated with indifference, proved only tooo true, as the body of Hart was found in the woods where the two brothers had been at work, with the throat cut from ear to ear.  what led to the commission of the bloody deed is not now known.  John Elliott was arrested, and while not denying having committed the murder, entered a plea of insanity, upon which he was cleared in the trial that followed.  His defense was ably conducted by Silas Woodson, William G. Lewis, S.A. Richardson and J.S. Asper, and the trial is remembered as one of the most interesting that ever took place in Harrison County.

[Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Missouri, St. Louis and Chicago, The Goodspeed Publishing Co, 1888]
Killing of McCollum

In July 1864, George Williams, a returned Federal Soldier, attempted to disarm Isaac B. McCollum, a Southern sypathizer, and in the quarrel which ensued the latter was shot and killed.  Williams received a shot in the leg, but was not otherwise injured.  He was indicted for the killing only a few years ago, after quite an extended and exciting trial, was cleared.
[Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Missouri, St. Louis and Chicago, The Goodspeed Publishing Co, 1888]

Bethany Republican:
Thornton L. Sullivan was arrested Tuesday just after the noon adjournment of Circuit Court for complicit in the murder of Isaac B. McCollum, July 23rd, 1864.  He was indicted at the same time and with George D. Williams for killing of McCollum.  He gave bond for his appearance from day to day as our court proceedings show.  After Williams acquital Prosecuting Attorney Butler entered a nole pros in the Sullivan case and he was discharged.
Source: The Albany Ledger, Albany, Mo. Oct. 16, 1885

Bethany Broad Ax:
The blue cotton working shirt, worn by Isaac McCullum at the time he was killed, is still in the possesion of his parents, but was offered too late in the evidence to be accepted.  Besides the bullet hole in the front there is one also in the upper part of the arm of the shirt showing that two shots were fired at McCullum.
Source: The Albany Ledger, Albany, MO., Oct. 16, 1885
1866 or 1867
Killing of John Garrison

In the year 1866 or 1867 Riley Strickland and John Garrison, two neighbors who resided about four miles west of Eagleville, had a difficulty, which resulted in the death of the latter.  Rumors charging Garrison with undue intimacy with Stickland's family, while the latter was in the army, had for some time been afloat, and reaching Strickland's ears, caused hime to become beside himself with rage.  Meeting Garrison upon the occasion referred to, Strickland broached the matter and very soon a bitter war of words was in progress between the two men, during which the fatal shot was fired.  Strickland was arrested and tried in Bethany before a jury which could not agree upon a verdict.  At his second trial he was found guilty and sentenced to imprisonment in the county jail for a term of one year.

[Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Missouri, St. Louis and Chicago, The Goodspeed Publishing Co, 1888]

1867 or 1868
Nickerson, Benjamin

Benjamin Nickerson, a resident of Cypress Township, about the year 1867 or 1868, while laboring under a fit of insanity, killed his wife and sister in law with a large bludgeon, literally beating their heads to a jelly.  He was arrested and tried, but being proved violently insane at the time, was acquitted by the jury.

[Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Missouri, St. Louis and Chicago, The Goodspeed Publishing Co, 1888]


In April, 1869, Noah M. Enloe and Stephen Workman became involved in a quarrel about five miles east of Bethany.  Of the nature of their trouble but little is now  known, although it appears that both men were armed for the affray.  Enloe shot Workman, who died at 7 oclock the same evening, the trouble having occurred about 3 oclock in the afternoon.  Enloe was tried and acquitted.
[Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Missouri, St. Louis and Chicago, The Goodspeed Publishing Co, 1888]

Foster, John C.

Murder at St. Joseph

A man by the name of John C. Foster, of Cainsville, Harrison County, Missouri was  poisoned at St. Joseph, on Monday of this week, and died a few minutes after swallowing the dose.  It seems that he was driving a team, and at Amazonia met a stranger whose name is supposed to be Doyle, who wished to ride to St. Joseph with him, stating that he had been waiting some time for a chance, and that he would pay him when he arrived there.  On the way down he was repeatedly asked by his companion to drink, but refused until he reached the city, when he partook of a glass of beer.  He noticed that it had rather a peculiar sweetish taste, but he thought nothing of it at the time.  Soon after drinking the beer, however, he discovered that he was poisoned, and in about forty minutes thereafter he died in great agony.  The murderer made his escape.

The following is his description:  Apparently about 30 years old, heavy set, about five feet ten inches high; he wore a white shirt and gray pants and had on a cap.  In a small hand trunk in the wagon, among other things, was found the discharge of a soldier named Patrick Doyle, aged 27 years, the description of whom answers exactly to that of the prisoner.

The St. Joseph Hearald, of yesterday gives the following account of the arrest of Doyle, who is supposed to have poisoned Mr. Foster:
A man supposed to be the poisoner of Jno. C. Foster on Saturday last in this city, was captured at Osborn.  He was recognized by Mr. Crews of Stewartsville, as a man that kept a saloon in Oregon a few years ago.  then his general reputation was that of a hard case.  He went by the name of Jim Doyle in the mountains.  Mr. Clews recognized him as soon as he saw him yesterday morning in Stewartsville, and asked him to come and take dinner with him.  Doyle appeared fidgety, looking around now and then as if suspecting some one after him, and said he did not feel well and guessed he would walk around to raise a perspiration,, which always made him feel better.  He got up, but instead of coming back to dinner, sneaked out of town by a by way. 

In a short time afterwards Mr. Leech, the Marshal at Stewartsville, came along and commenced talking about a horrible murder that occurred in St. Jospeh, and began to read the account from the Morning Herald to Mr. Crews.  After finishing the account of the murder, Mr. Crews informed him that a man of that description was there fifteen minutes before; his name was Jim Doyle instead of Pat Doyle, and that he knew him quite well.  The Marshal, accompanied by Mr. Crews, then proceeded after him as hastily as possible.  They came up with him near Osborn.  The Marshal commenced by asking him a question to which he made no reply.  The Marshal then tapped him on the shoulder and told him he was his prisoner.  Mr. Crews and the prisoner chatted about old matters quite freely.  the Marshal made him walk for a mile and a half on the way, during which time when the prisoner would meet with a stick on the road he would look at the Marshal and then at the stick, as if to see if an opportunity were allowed for picking up the club and going for the Marshal.  He told the Marshal once that if a club was in his hand he would go for him (the Marshal) before he knew what he was about. 

On being interviewed by the reporters when he got into jail, he stated that he was born in Lenaway County Michigan; that he lived at the mountains six years ago, was in St. Joe before, and was arrested on suspicion of being an escapted convict from the Nebraska penitenary; stayed at Easton sincle last Saturday morning and ws on his way to St. Paul Minnesota, when he was captured.  He is a hard looking specimen, and answers to the description of the man who poisoned Foster.  He wears soldiers' clothes and a cap.  His manner is that of an impudent villian, and there seems to be no doubt that the right bird has been caged.
[source: The Leavenworth weekly times, August 31, 1871 edition.]
[transcribed by: Melody Beery]
Joseph P. Hamilton
St. Louis, Nov. 3- Joseph P. Hamilton, aged twenty one, who murdered E. W. Shallach, of Mercer County, about three years ago, was hanged at Bethany, Harrison County, Missouri, Friday last.  Hamilton made a confession a few days before his execution.
Source: New Orleans Republican, New Orleans LA, Nov. 4, 1874

On the night of February 15, 1875, two brothers, Jack and James Urshin, while attending a social party at the residence of F.M. Bower, a short distance, northwest of Cainsville became involved in a quarrel with a young man by the name of Byron Harrison.  From words the young men came to blows, and finally knives were drawn by all three and used freely.  James Urshin received a fatal stab; his brother was seriously cut in several places, while Harrison received three or four ugly wounds.  After young Urshin's death, Harrison was arrested, but the facts elicited at the trial proved conclusively that he acted in self defense.

[Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Missouri, St. Louis and Chicago, The Goodspeed Publishing Co, 1888]

About the year 1877 the citizens of the northeastern part of the county were thrown into considerable excitement by the shooting of William C. Chapman by Oxley Johnson.  The fatal deed was but the termination of a family trouble which had existed between the two men for a number of years.  Johnson was arrested for the crime, but the jury failed to convict him.
[Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Missouri, St. Louis and Chicago, The Goodspeed Publishing Co, 1888]

J.N. Johnson
A requisition from the governor of Missouri, yesterday, terminated the residence in Kansas of Mr. J.N. Johnson.  Mr. Johnson was committed to jail last Saturday, by Justice Brier, to remain in soak for ten days, in order that the authorities from Missouri might be heard from.   Yesterday the sheriff of Harrison County, Missouri, arrived with the papers and took the prisoner.  We are informed that the original charge against Johnson was forgery.  He broke the Harrison county jail, and in doing so seriously injured the jailor.  He was captured in Pottawatomie county and brought here from there.
Source: The Daily Commonwealth, Topeka KS, Feb. 13, 1877
William Poynter

In the month of September, 1878, William Poynter, an exemplary citizen living at Eagleville was shot and killed by a tramp near the village.  It appears that several worthless characters and lewd women camped in the vicinity of the town, and one day a number of boys and young men collected for the purpose of inviting them to leave the neighborhood.  While in conversation with the villagers, one of the tramps fired his revolver into the crowd, the shot taking effect in young Poynters body, causing his death in a short time.

[Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Missouri, St. Louis and Chicago, The Goodspeed Publishing Co, 1888]

Jacob Fanster

On Thursday June 13, 1878, in Washington Township, occured a fatal tragedy resulting in the shooting and killing of Jacob Fanster by William W. Jessee, of Martinsville.  In September, 1876, Fanster was indicted by the circuit court for forging a school warrant on a school district in Washington Township.  He gave bail in vacation for his appearance at the March 1877 term, but failed to appear at the designated time.  He left the courtry, and was not heard of until March, 1878, when it was learned that he was in Nebraska.  The sheriff of Andrew County went there, arrested and brought him to Bethany lodged him in jail.  He subsequently gave bond, W. W. Jessee being one of the bondsmen.  Learning that he was going to leave the country, Mr. Jessee procured a writ of recognizance with a view of turning him over to the sheriff.  Fanster attempted to make his escape, and in so doing was shot and killed by Jessee.  Jessee was subsequently tried for the killing in the Harrison Circuit Court and acquitted.

[Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Missouri, St. Louis and Chicago, The Goodspeed Publishing Co, 1888]

Mollie Monroe
Last fall a young lady, named Mollie Monroe, who lived with her parents in Butler township, Harrison county, Missouri left her home and none knew whither she had gone.  Last week quite a sensation was created by finding her bones and part of her clothing in less than one mile of her father's house.  The question to be solved is, was she murdered or did she commit suicide?  A young man named Robert Reed, a citizen of the neighborhood is under arrest on suspition of having had something to do with her death
Source: Richmond Democrat, Richmond, Missouri, April 29, 1880
Geo Patch
On Tuesday evening Geo. Patch and some other person commenced firing off revolvers in New Hampton.  Mr. Elliott, the Marshal of that village, attempted to arrest them when the parties with Patch shot at Elliott's assistant, who, seeing the motion, dropped to the ground in time to avoid the ball, which, however, grazed the hand of a bystander.  Mr. Elliott's assistant then drew a revolver and returned the fire.  The person was retreating in the darkness by this time, but the shot either struck him or he stumbled, as he fell but at once rose again, and a regular fusilade followed, he firing three more shots at Elliott's assistant, and the latter returning an equal number.  The person escaped finally under cover of the darkness.
Source: Republican, 8-18-1881
Robert Gividen
of Bethany, Harrison County, Missouri was before Commissioner Watson yesterday charged with selling manufactured tobacco without a license.  He waived examination and gave $200 bond for his appearance at the May term of court for trial.
Source: Kansas City Times, Kansas City, Missouri, May 1, 1886

Downing, Joseph


Santa Fe N.M., Sept.1: A bloody tragedy occured at the Meadville mining camp, Rio Arribaco county, Friday. there were five men in camp, and but one of them is now alive to tell the story. The victims were Albert A. Mead, late of Santa Fe; K. Harvey Mesk, of Aledo Ill; Joseph Downing of Harrison County, Mo, and P.H. Hands, Frederick Mead, the fifth man, escaped with a slight wound. These men were partners in a stampmill until recently, when Albert Mead withdrew and brought suit against the others, the Mead brothers being cousins of his.

Wednesday Albert Mead left here to get some papers at the mine. Before he left he said he intended to get possession of his mines again if he had to kill every man in the company. When Albert arrived at the camp he hid in ambush for a favorable opportunity. Finally Fred Mead and Mr. Hands appeared. Albert stepped from behind the brush, Winchester in hand, and ordered a halt. Albert ordered Hands to call Harvey Mead and Joe Downing. Mead and Downing came out. Albert fired and Downing fell dead. A second shot killed Mead. His third shot killed Hands. Fred Mead attempted to fire at Albert, but his weapon snapped. Albert fired at Fred five times while Fred was running toward him. Finally the two men clinched and struggled for the weapon. Fred wrenched it from Alberts hands, knocked him down and shot him throught the heart.
[source: Daily Evening Bulletin, Maysville, KY, September 1, 1887 edition]

Insane Ferocity
H. Long Kills Wm. Rice in Harrison County, Mo and Drags his body a Quarter of a Mile
St. Joseph MO. Sept 21
William Rice, a farmer, was found with his head split open, near Bethany, Harrison County yesterday.  A trail of blood led from the body to the residence of H. Long, a near neighbor.  A posse assembled at Long's house and found him and his wife in a cave.  Long held the crowd off while his wife wrote a statement of the murder.  When that was finished Long drew a razor and attempted to commit suicide.  He made a vicious slash at his throat, but a member of the posse caught his arm just in time, and after a desperate struggle he was disarmed and brought to Bethany and placed in jail.
Long stated that Rice was member of a gang that had been trying for some days to get him out and kill him; that Rice came to his house on the night of the murder and tried to get him out.  He then, to save himself, struck Rice with an ax, killing him instantly. After Rice had ceased to struggle Long compelled his wife and little child to assist him in carrying the dead body to the Rice farm, about a quarter of a mile away.  Three times Mrs. Long fainted on that terrible midnight journey, the sight of the awful look on the dead man's face, his blood and brains slowly oozing out of the terrible wound in his head where the keen ax had sunk itself, being more than she could stand.  Each time when the poor woman dropped her end of the ghastly burden and sank to the ground the murderer calmly sat down and waited for her to revive, while her little daughter, horror stricken and dazed by the horrible drama in which she was forced to take part, could only cover her eyes and try to shut out the scene.
A plain track of blood was left from the Long residence to that of the murdered man, so that when the body was found no difficulty ws experienced in following the trail up to where the murder was committed.
On returning to his house Long compelled his wife and daughter to go with him to a cave at the rear of the homestead, where well armed he awaited the approach of the mob he confidently expected would lynch him.
There is no doubt that Long is insane.  He has one brother in the asylum and another under guard here, who will be taken there this week.
Source: St. Louis Republic, St. Louis, MO. Sept. 22, 1892


Spragg, David G.

Terrible Deed of an insane Man in Missouri

Ridgeway, Mo. Dec. 13: The most horrible human butchery ever recorded in this section was committed five miles southwest of this city yesterday afternoon. David G. Spragg, in a fit of insanity, murdered his wife and two children and mortally wounded his two step-children with a butcher knife, then took his own life with a rifle. The nearest neighbor of the Spraggs lived almost a mile distant, and it was some time before the news of the crime spread. In a few hours numbers of people arrived from town and an investigation of the scene was made. The most sickening sight met their gaze. Lying in the yard near the gate were the remains of Mrs. Spragg, mutilated almost beyond recognition and her disheveled hair drowned in the pool of blood surrounding her. In the little dwelling in one corner of the sitting room lay the lifeless body of little Caley, six years old, and in the other, Albert a four year old boy. Albert's head, resting on the slate with which he had been playing, was a mass of coagulated blood and brains, while blood still oozed from the gaping wounds in the throats of each. On the kitchen floor with blood besmeared all over his hands and face and still clenching the terrible instrument of death in his hands and with his head almost severed from his body lay the author of the awful scene. The two step-children of Spragg both under six years old were taken to the home of neighbors, where they are dying from dozens of cuts that cover their bodies. Evidences of a terrible struggle were plainly visible in the Spragg house. The walls, books,stove and furniture were spattered with blood, chaires were upturned, the oil can overturned and things generally turned upside down.

The particulars of the butchery are learned from Dora Onstatt, a step daughter of Spragg. She is a child of eleven years, and after eluding her step-fathers murderous grasp, escaped to a neighbors and gave the alarm.

[source: The Princeton Union, Princeton, Minn. December 13, 1894 edition]


Price, John T.

Parader Shot Down
Murderer then commits suicide to escape capture:

St. Joseph, Mo., May31: John T. Price, an old soldier of Bethany, Mo. was murdered while in a parade which was on the way to a cemetery by Art Miller, jewler, who was a brother-in-law of Price. they had not been on good terms for several days. Miller escaped to his home, but soon killed himself to escape capture.

Miller had been drinking during the day and had frequently made threats against the life of Price. He waited till the parade had passed in front of his store, when he rushed out, pistol in hand, and shot his victim to death. Both men married sisters. Miller and Price were among the prominent residents of Harrison County, Missouri. Both men had good military records during the war of the rebellion.

[source: The Norfolk Weekly News Journal, Norfolk, NE, May 31, 1901 edition]
Money Demanded of Two
A Denver Barber Charged with Wrong Use of the Mail
Denver, April 21-
On the charge of using the United States mails to threaten the lives and property of two wealthy Missourians unless the sums of $15,000 and $10,000 were paid in Denver.  Charles E. Frost, a barber, was arrested this afternoon as the result of quick work by postoffice inspectors.  J.B. Markey, a wealthy resident of Gilman, Harrison County Missouri, and David Rankin of Tarkio, Atchison county, Missouri's richest farmer, wre the two intended victims.

Frost, originally came from Grant City, Harrison County, Missouri.  He has lived in Denver several years and is well known.  He refused to talk and steadily denied his guilt.  He protested that he did not want his arrest to become known because of his parents who still reside in Missouri.

The letter sent to J.B. Markey of Gilman, Mo. was mailed in Denver April 9, and eight days was allowed the receiver in which to send the $10,000 demanded.  David Rankin was ordered to send $15,000 in a letter which he received April 11.  He was told to forward the money in pain of his life by April 19.  In character and tone both communications were the same, although their exact contents have not been revealed.  In the Rankin letter threats were made that if the money sought was not forthcoming on the determined date he would suffer his death and his house would be destroyed.

Grant City, April 21-
Charles E. Frost is a son of John W. Frost, retired of this city.  He was a barber here and in a nearby town.  He is about 34 years old and left Grant City about seven or eight years ago.  A borther, Jacob H. Frost, lives in St. Joseph.  He is also a barber.  Tarkio and Giman are not far from this place.

David Rankin of Tarkio owns more land than any farmer in Missouri.  He has made large gifts to Tarkio college.  Mr. Markey's three children live at 1303 West Thirty ninth street, this city.  He spends most of his time on his Harrison County farm.  The youngest child, a daughter, attends Loretto academy.  It is said that the letters to Markey threatened death to his children.
[Source: Kansas City Star, Kansas City, Mo. April 22, 1909]
Jefferson City-
Cari Hamilton
Gov. Hadley paroled Cari Hamilton of Harrison county, who was sentenced to serve two years in the penitentiary for assault with intent to kill.  He was paroled to John B. Bryant of Bethany.
Source: The Farmington Times, Farmington, St. Francois County, Mo.Nov. 28, 1912

Vern Williams

Cities and towns, especially those of the fourth class, in the collections of fines imposed, have the right to issue an execution, levy upon, and sell the property of a defendant convicted of a vilation of a city ordinance, where the city or town may have an ordinance providing that this may be done.   This was a decision gives by a jury in Judge A.B. Davis court at Gallatin.  The case was that of Geo.Hobbs, marshal of Gilman City against Vern Williams a druggist at that place.  The case was brought to Gallatin from Harrison County on a change of venue.

According to the evidence Williams was convicted on ten counts for the illegal sale of liquor, and a find of $1,000.00 was placed against him together with a judgment for his commitment for failure to pay the fine.  Williams failed to pay the fine, and a capius execution on this judgment was issued against him and his property.

Hobbs, as marshal, levied an attachment on Williams stock of drugs, and according to the petition was restrained from selling it by the defendant.

Marshal Hobbs then institued a writ of replevin to get control of the drug stock and in doing so became the plaintiff.  The case was watched with much interest as it is believed it will enable the authorities in fourth class cities to better cope with the bootlegging evil.
{source: Chillicothe Constitution,March 13, 1912}
Holdup Thwarted
Blythedale, Mo., Sept. 6

Two men, described as Missouri gangsters still were being sought along the Missouri Iowa state line today be state and county authorities in connection with the attemped bank holdup here yesterday.
The were identified by two bandit companions, who were captured during the thwarted robbery attempt, as John Langsdon, Kansas City, Mo. wanted in connection with many Missouri bank robberies and Clarence Sparger, St. Joseph, MO. gangster.
Captured after being cornered in a field, Charles Arbogast, 36, Kansas City, and Raymond Fletcher, 33, St. Joseph, are being held at Bethany, Mo., Fletcher was wounded seriously.
Shots that wounded two bandits were fired by Robert Jones, champion squirrel hunter of Harrison county Missouri, who appeared on the scene of the attempted robbery shortly after the desperadoes started to flee.
[Source: Omaha World Herald, Omaha, NE, September 6, 1935]

Back to Index

Copyright © Genealogy Trails All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor