Genealogytrails Harrison County, Missouri
Brooklyn


Brooklyn, originally known as Snell's Mill, or Snellville, is situated about nine miles north of Bethany, in Union Township, and dates its history from the 23d of March, 1854.  It took its name from a mill erected by Mr. Snell, on Big Creek, some time in the fifties, and early became a local trading point of considerable importance.  September 10, 1865, the plat was resurveyed and recorded as Brooklyn, by which name the village has since been known.  At this time the business of the place is represented by one small store, a blacksmith shop and postoffice.  The population is about 200.
Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties Missouri, Goodspeed, 1881









Back to Index

Copyright © Genealogy Trails All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor