Henry County Missouri
Clay Adair, the well known postmaster of Clinton, Missouri, is a descendant of pioneer Missouri families on both the maternal and paternal sides. Mr. Adair was born in Fayette County, Texas, August 24, 1869, a son of Joseph and Margaret (Payne) Adair, both natives of Missouri, born at Independence. Joseph Adair was the first male white child bom in Independence. He grew to manhood in Jackson County, and when gold was discovered in California in 1849 he made the trip via the overland route with Upton Hayes. After remaining on the coast for two years he returned by way of the Isthmus of Panama in 1851. In 1855 he went to Texas, where he was residing when the Civil War broke out. He enlisted in the Confederate army and after serving two years was discharged. His service was under General Myers. He died in 1904 and his wife died March 13,1901, and their remains are interred in the Englewood Cemetery in Clinton. Margaret (Payne) Adair was a daughter of A. J. Payne, a pioneer of Independence, Missouri. He died in that locality and later his family started for California and the mother died on the way. To Joseph and Margaret (Payne) Adair were born the following children, Thomas, deceased; John, deceased; Mrs. Mary Wellborn, Chickasha, Oklahoma; A. J. Adair, deceased; Joseph D., deceased; Isaac, resides in Clinton, Missouri; Clay, the subject of this sketch; Mrs. Maggie Chapman, deceased; Mrs. Frank Taylor, El Reno, Oklahoma, and Mrs. Ray Wade, Tulsa, Oklahoma. Clay Adair was reared in Texas and educated in the district schools and Ad Ran College at Thorpe Springs, Texas. In early life he was engaged in the cattle business in western Texas, where he remained until 1888. The family then returned to Henry County, Missouri, and settled on a farm near Calhoun. Here Mr. Adair was engaged in general farming and stock raising until 1896, when he came to Clinton and engaged in the livery business. Two years later he was appointed deputy recorder of deeds for the county and at the death of William Duncan, Mr. Adair was appointed to serve the unexpired term by Governor Dockerty. In 1904 Mr. Adair was elected county treasurer of Henry County, and served one term of two years. He then accepted a position to serve as farm loan examiner for the Prudential Insurance Company, and on March 19, 1914, he was appointed postmaster of Clinton, Missouri, by President Wilson, and re-appointed to that office at the expiration of his first term in 1918. November 22, 1892, Mr. Adair was united in marriage with Miss Ollie M. Gutridge of Calhoun, Missouri. She is a daughter of John W. and Elizabeth (Pigg) Gutridge, one of the very early pioneer families of Henry County. A more complete history of the Gutridge family is given elsewhere in this volume. To Mr. and Mrs. Adair have been born three children: Eugene D., now serving as deputy circuit clerk of Henry County; Louise N., married T. L. Francisco, Clinton, Missouri, and Mary Margaret, who resides at home with her parents. Mr. Adair is one of Henry County's foremost citizens and a capable and efficient public official. He has ever been true to any public trust delegated to him. He is public spirited and takes a keen interest in all matters pertaining to the betterment and up-building of the county and its institutions. [History of Henry County Missouri by Uel W Lamkin 1919]
George N. Angle
The Angle farm in Davis township is one of the finest farms in Missouri. The home farm upon which the residence is located on a sloping hillside and overlooking a vast tract of country stretching away on every hand, consists of three hundred sixty acres. In addition to this tract another farm of ninety-five acres lies in the Grand River bottoms and is noted for its fertility. Mr. Angle has made this place his home since 1883 and has gradually built improvements until it is one of the beautiful places in Henry County. The residence of seven rooms was erected in 1903, supplanting the old house which had stood on the site for many years. On the Angle farms have been sown for this season's crops one hundred fifty-six acres of wheat, one hundred fifteen acres of oats and one hundred five acres of corn. Mr. Angle's sons are farming one hundred eighty acres of their own land and one hundred eleven acres which they are renting. The Angle farm is a very productive one, which boasts a heavy output of live stock each year. Only recently Mr. Angle has disposed of a carload of cattle and one of hogs (April, 1918). The average output of Hereford or white face cattle from the place is about one hundred five head. The yearly production of Duroc Jersey hogs is over one hundred eighty head. Fifteen head of work horses and mules are maintained on the place. George N. Angle was born August 7, 1855, in Pike County, Missouri, and is the son of John and Sarah Elizabeth (Ferguson) Angle, who settled in Henry County in 1866.
John Angle was born in Pike County, Missouri, February 4, 1830, and died in Clinton, Missouri, November 18, 1914. He was the son of Jacob Angle, a native of Germany who emigrated to America and settled in St. Louis in 1812. Some years later he went to Pike County, Missouri, and settled on Salt River, not far from the city of Louisiana. John Angle was reared in Pike County and there married Elizabeth Ferguson, October 26, 1854. Elizabeth (Ferguson) Angle is a daughter of John and Rebecca (Stevenson) Ferguson, natives of Kentucky who were pioneer settlers of Pike County, Missouri. Mrs. Elizabeth Angle was born September 3,1835, and is now living in Clinton, one of the oldest of the pioneer women of Henry County. The Angle family came to Henry County in 1866 and first settled a few miles northwest of Clinton and some time later settled in Davis township, where John Angle improved a splendid farm and became fairly well-to-do and highly respected. John and Elizabeth Angle were parents of eleven children, five of whom are living, as follow: George N., the subject of this review; Sarah, died in 1855; John Richard, residing in Clinton; Harvey, deceased; Ernest Angle, died in 1905; Solon, lives in Canada, and has a family of eight children; Mrs. Orpha Dooley, lives in Clinton and has a family of four children, and Daisy Jeffries, lives in Oklahoma.' John Angle became owner of two hundred sixty acres of land in Davis township and resided there until he removed to Clinton, where he died four years later.
George Angle was eleven years of age when he accompanied his parents to Henry County. He received his early education in the Fields Creek school. He located in Davis township in 1879 and remained with his parents on the home farm until he was twenty-five years old. He began to make his own way when he attained his majority and has been successful from the start of his career. He purchased his first land in 1883 and with his wife's assistance and the joining of their respective capitals he became owner of one hundred twenty acres. With the exceptions of forty-seven acres, which was Mrs. Angle's by inheritance, all of the Angle lands have been purchased on time. Mr. Angle found it a good business policy to go in debt for land and make the land pay for itself with wise cultivation and good business management. His large farm of four hundred fifty-five acres is one of the best in Henry County and one of the most productive. He has deviated considerably from the old time methods of agriculture and is progressive.
March 20, 1881, the marriage of George N. Angle and Miss Ella Rogers was solemnized. This marriage has been blessed with the following children: Albert F.f born April 20, 1882, married Miss Marie Bassaird of Sonora, California, February 12, 1918, and resides at Sonora; John Ferguson, born April 17, 1883, died at the age of twelve years; Leslie, born April 25, 1885, resides in Isabelle, South Dakota; Bertha, born October 4, 1887, married W. L. Coonrod in October, 1916, and lives at Carterville, Missouri; Earl, born October 30, 1889, Fairfield, Montana, married Alma Zimmerman August 20, 1917; Ralph, a farmer of Davis township, born November 11, 1891, married Clara Ogan in October, 1916; William A., born November 19, 1893, graduated from the Clinton High School, studied at the State University and is now engaged in farming on the home place; Clarence, born January 19, 1896, enlisted in the United States Navy in December, 1917, and was located at the Great Lakes Naval Training Station, and is now a member of the crew of the United States battleship Wisconsin; Donald, born April 28, 1898, is a graduate of the Clinton High School; Mary, born February 9, 1901, is a student in the Clinton High School; Velma, born May 3, 1903, died January 4, 1905. The mother of this fine family of children was born December 2, 1860, in Henry County, and is the daughter of Thomas and Lucinda (Fletcher) Rogers, the latter of whom was born on December 4, 1831, at Lexington, Missouri, a daughter of James Fletcher, a pioneer settler of Henry County. She died in 1866. Thomas Rogers was born at Winchester, Kentucky, February 18, 1824, and died May 16, 1883. He was among the earliest of the Henry County pioneers and established one of the first stores in Clinton. He was the first postmaster of Clinton and came from Kentucky to Henry County in the late thirties. His wife was the first to be buried in the old Clinton Cemetery. After her mother's death, Mrs. Angle was reared by her aunt, Mrs. Jane Trotter of Carrollton, Missouri. Mr. Angle is a Republican and he has generally taken an active and influential interest in civic matters in his home township. For over thirty-one years he has been school trustee. He and Mrs. Angle and their children are members of the Mt. Carmel Presbyterian Church. Mr. Angle is affiliated with the Modem Woodmen of America. He is a charter member of the Mt. Carmel Presbyterian Church and has served as an elder for thirty years and has been Sunday school superintendent for past thirty years. History of Henry County Missouri by Uel W Lamkin 1919
Zachariah T. Banta
Having lived in Colorado more than half the duration of a human life as fixed by the sacred writer, and during that time participated in many of its varied industries and productive occupations in a forceful and helpful way, witnessing the progress of the state from a wilderness to what it is now and aiding materially in bringing about the change, Zachariah T. Banta, of Rio Blanco county, is entitled to the position he holds in the regard of the people of the commonwealth, and justly enjoys the pride he feels in the achievements he and others like him have won here from obdurate and obstinate conditions confronting them at the start, yet hiding beneath their unpromising surface unbounded wealth of opportunity and of material substance. It was in Henry county, Missouri, and on March 14, 1838, that his life began, and he is the son of Abraham and Elizabeth Banta, natives of Kentucky who moved to Missouri soon after their marriage and there passed the remainder of their lives, successfully engaged in the peaceful pursuit of agriculture. The father was in his young manhood a firm believer in the doctrines of the Whig party, but later became as firm a Democrat. He died in 1882 and the mother in 1885. Of their seven children four are living. Zachariah was educated at the public schools and worked on the farm with his father until twenty-one years of age. In 1859, when he determined to leave home and make his own way in the world, he came overland by way of Santa Fe and up the Arkansas to Pueblo, then on to Denver. After a short stay at that town he located at Boulder and engaged in mining. Later he moved to Spring gulch where he continued the same pursuit. In the fall of 1859 he went back to Missouri and in the spring of 1860 returned with freight and in the fall of 1860 returned to Missouri by the Platte route and engaged in farming in Henry county until 1862. The times and place getting too hot for a young loyal Democrat, he went north to Davis county. In the spring of 1863 he returned to Henry county and put in a crop of wheat, but in August things were so unsettled he again left that locality and came back to Colorado. Until 1864 he was occupied in ranching near Colorado City. He next located at Buffalo Flats, where he again engaged in mining with profit until 1867. At that time he returned to Missouri for a short visit, going overland by the Platte route, but while there embraced an opportunity for a little profitable farming which kept him until near the close of 1868. Then disposing of his interests in that state, and collecting a herd of cattle, he returned to Colorado by the old Santa Fe trail. There were Indian troubles behind and before his party, and to avoid having his cattle stolen by savages he sold them at Fort Harker. He then hired the government outfit to bring him and his family to Pueblo. He bought land ten miles west of the city and followed ranching there until 1871. Then selling the ranch, but retaining the cattle, he moved up to Buffalo Flats. The cattle were placed on the range near Breckenridge for a time, then taken to the Arkansas valley. In 1872 he changed his residence to Fremont county, above Canon City, and located a stock ranch on which he remained six years. At the end of that period he sold this ranch and bought another on the Arkansas river where he lived until 1885, conducting a store during much of the time. Selling out once more, he turned his attention to getting out ties for the Rio Grande Railroad, and also furnished beef for the company under contract. After disposing of all his interests in the Arkansas valley he moved to the ranch which is his present home four miles west of Rangely. This comprises eighty acres, is well watered and highly productive, yielding good crops of the ordinary farm products, and also supports comfortably his cattle, these and hay being his main reliance in the business. When he located here there were but few settlers in the neighborhood, his land was wholly unimproved and all that men wanted in the way of development of the section was yet to be worked out. His ranch as it is now is the result of his own industry and persistent attention, and the retrospection of the past recalls some thrilling episodes of local history. From the top of his abode cabin he witnessed the soldiers, seventy volunteers and two hundred territorial militia drive the Indians out of this section of the country as a penalty for their having stolen horses and cattle from the settlers, the hostiles having camped three miles west of his home. A number of the whites were killed, among them the noted Lieutenant Ward, deputy sheriff, and Mr. Curly, and of course many more of the Indians. The country at the time was overgrown with wild sage brush, willows and kindred untamed vegetation. Mr. Banta was married on September 14, 1862, to Miss Louisa Owen, daughter of John and Nancy Owen, natives of Platte county, Missouri. They have had eleven children, four of whom have died, one in infancy and three, George, Mary and Elizabeth, later in life. The seven living children are John, Nancy, Charles, Virda, Fannie, Astena and Irene. Their mother died on November 25, 1901, and on September 21, 1903, the father married a second wife, Mrs. Virginia Stotts, widow of J.P. Stotts and daughter of George G. and Mary W. Grove, of Winchester, Virginia; she was born and raised in Virginia, but afterwards lived in Missouri, coming to Colorado in 1901. (Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Kim Mohler)
Dr. Bernice B. Barr
Dr. Bernice B. Barr, with thorough preparatory training in the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Baltimore and the Bellevue Medical College of New York City, entered upon the practice of his profession well equipped for the onerous duties that have devolved upon him in this connection. He was born in Benton County, Missouri, January 4, 1857, and is a son of William T. and Elizabeth M. (Wilson) Barr, who were natives of Tennessee. The father, who made farming his life work, came to Missouri in 1850, settling in Benton County, where he lived for about six years. He then removed to Henry County, establishing his home near Montrose, where he resided until 1861, when he returned to his native State. He had a short time before entered the Confederate army under General Price and fearing to leave his family in Missouri he took them to Tennessee. There he joined the forces under Gen. John Morgan, with whom he served until Morgan was killed. Mr. Barr continued in the army until the close of the war and was never wounded, but was captured several times and released. After the war was over he engaged in farming in Tennessee until his death, which occurred in the year 1894. He had for five years survived his wife, who passed away in 1889.
Dr. Barr was the third son and the third child in a family of six children. He attended school at Gallatin, Tennessee, and, having determined upon the practice of medicine as a life work, attended the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Baltimore. He graduated from the Bellevue Medical College at New York in March, 1880, and has since taken post-graduate work, while throughout his professional career he has remained a close student of the science of medicine. Following his graduation in 1880 he began practicing at Shawnee Mound, in Henry County, where he remained for five years. He then went to Montrose, in the same county, spending eight years there. On the expiration of that period he went to Clinton, where he has since practiced continuously, devoting his entire time to his profession, the duties of which he discharges with a sense of conscientious obligation that prompts him to put forth the best possible effort, not only to alleviate suffering, but also to promote his efficiency through further study and research. He is a member of the Henry County Medical Society, the State Medical Society and the American Medical Association, and through the meetings of those organizations keeps in touch with the trend of modern scientific thought in the field of medical and surgical practice.
On the fifteenth of September, 1881, Dr. Barr was united in marriage to Miss Maggie Squires, who was born at Calhoun, Henry County, Missouri, a daughter of Jerome B. and Cynthia (McNealey) Squires, the former a native of Calhoun and the latter of Warsaw, Benton County, Missouri. In early life the father engaged in merchandising and continued in that business until a few years prior to his death, which occurred in 1901. His wife passed away in 1906. Dr. and Mrs. Barr became the parents of four children, one of whom died when one and one-half years old. The others are: Ella Bernice, Robert W. and Herbert M. Robert was graduated from the West Point Military Academy in 1910 and remained in the army for three years when he resigned in order to look after his wife's estate. He enlisted as a volunteer in the National Army in September, 1917, was commissioned as captain and went to Fort Benjamin Harrison. In November, 1917, he was commissioned as major of artillery in the Three Hundred Forty-second Field Artillery and sent to Fort Riley December 1, 1917. Major Barr became ill on December 14, 1917, and has been seriously ill since, and is now in Colorado for his health, although still a major. He is now the owner of large landed interests near Clinton. Herbert M., residing at Kansas City, is in the employ of the wholesale jewelry house of C. B. Norton. The twin brother of Herbert died at the age above mentioned, of pneumonia.
Dr. Barr gives his political allegiance to the Democratic party and is active in its support. He has served as county coroner and for three terms has been alderman from his ward, exercising his official prerogatives in support of many progressive public measures. He belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America and the Woodmen of the World, and his religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Presbyterian Church. Nearly his entire life has been spent in Missouri and those who know him—and he has a wide acquaintance—entertain for him warm friendship, not only because of his high professional skill, but also by reason of his many excellent traits of character and those social qualities which make for personal popularity. History of Henry County Missouri by Uel W Lamkin 1919
BRADLEY, Arthur Harry, physician and surgeon; born, Clinton, Mo., Dec. 16, 1869; son of James R. and Martha Bradley; educated in public schools of Henry and Phelps counties, Mo.; Missouri State Normal School, Warrensburg, Mo., 1889-90; Missouri State University, Columbia, Mo., 1890-91; Marion-Sims College of Medicine, 1891-92, M.D., 1892; Barnes Medical College, 1892-93, Berlitz School of Languages, 1903; post-graduate studies Vienna, Berlin and Paris; married, St. Louis, June 5, 1902, Gertrude M. May. In practice since 1892; first assistant surgeon St. Louis Female Hospital, 1892; lecturer on diseases of women, Barnes Medical College, 1894-1900; now professor hygiene and sanitary science, Barnes University; clinician department nose, throat and ear, St. Louis Baptist Hospital. Member American Medical Association, Missouri State Medical Association, St. Louis Medical Society; life member American Medical Association of Vienna, Austria. Republican. Member Christian (Disciples) Church. Mason; member Knights of Pythias. Recreation: traveling. Office: 620 Metropolitan Bldg. Residence: 3714 W. Pine Boulevard. (Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)
Capt. W. F. Carter
Capt. W. F. Carter, a Civil War veteran, now engaged in the real estate, loan and insurance business at Clinton, comes of a long line of good old Southern stock and is one of the representative pioneers of Henry County. Captain Carter was bom in St. Clair County, Missouri, March 4, 1843, Osceola being his native town. He is a son of William F. and Eliza A. (Conn) Carter. The father was a native of Culpeper County, Virginia, and was a member of the "first families of Virginia." Anna Hill Carter, of Shirley, Virginia, a close relative of William F. Carter, was the wife of Gen. Robert E. Lee, and this branch of the Carters trace their lineage back to Robert Carter, who was the agent of Lord Fairfax, and he was a conspicuous figure in the colony of Virginia prior to the Revolutionary War and a very wealthy man.
William F. Carter, the father of Captain Carter, the subject of this review, was at General Washington's funeral, but was a baby in his mother's arms. He grew to manhood in Virginia and became very wealthy, at one time owning 8,500 acres of land, which was located in Kentucky. Later he removed to Missouri and bought what was known as the "two mile farm" near St. Louis. He went to St. Clair County about 1842, and was engaged in farming the balance of his life. He was a thorough scholar and was a graduate from the law department of the University of Virginia, taking his degree from that institution when he was eighteen years of age. He was a fine Latin and Greek scholar and an accomplished gentleman of the old school and a great enthusiast in educational matters. He died at the age of sixty-two years. He was related to the Washington family in the following manner: George Washington's sister, Bettie, married Col. Fielding Lewis, Washington's aide-de-camp. To this union was born one daughter, Bettie, who married Charles Carter, and Charles Carter and Bettie Lewis were the parents of W. F. Carter, Captain Carter's father. Eliza A. Conn, Captain Carter's mother, was born at White Sulphur Springs, Kentucky. She was a daughter of Colonel Conn, who was the owner of White Sulphur Springs. She died in 1872.
Captain Carter is the only living member of the children born to his parents. When a youth he attended the public schools at Osceola, Missouri, and was prepared for college under the preceptorship of his father. He was a student in the University of Missouri when the Civil War broke out. In April, 1861, at the first call to arms, he enlisted in the Confederate cavalry service and later was transferred to the infantry, serving as second lieutenant in the Ninth Missouri Infantry, and practically had command of Company A most of the time. He participated in many important engagements but was never wounded, sick nor taken prisoner. He was of the cheerful type of soldier, never seeing the discouraging nor gloomy side of life, even in the most trying hours. He won the reputation of being the joliiest soldier in his regiment. During his term of service he was with his command in Missouri, Arkansas, Texas and Louisiana, and served four years, two months and ten days. As a soldier his fidelity to duty never ceased and his service never ended until the principles for which he fought were hopelessly inscribed, "the lost cause."
At the close of the war Captain Carter returned to Missouri, and located at Sedalia. In 1868 he came to Henry County and engaged in the mercantile business at Montrose Here he prospered and built up a large business establishment, but in 1876 he met with a severe financial loss, his business being destroyed by fire. He was then elected county treasurer of Henry County and moved to Clinton. After the expiration of his term of office he was employed as clerk in Sammons & Sammons Bank until that institution failed. In 1905 he engaged in real estate, insurance and loan business, in which he is still engaged. In 1915 he was elected collector of Clinton township and re-elected at the expiration of his first term, serving until 1918.
Captain Carter was married September 2, 1869, to Miss Frances Vickars, a native of Missouri, of Virginia parentage. To this union was born seven children, four of whom are living: Fanny, wife of Frank S. Callaway, Kansas City; Jennie Washington, married Ed Covington, Deepwater, Missouri; Frank, proprietor of the Troy Laundry, Clinton; Stephen V., engaged in Government service at Tacoma, Washington. The mother of these children died in 1887 and in 1895 Captain Carter was united in marriage with Miss Jennie Kennedy, who had been a teacher in the Clinton public schools for a number of years prior to her marriage.
Captain Carter has been a Mason for fifty-three years, and is a Knights Templar. He has been a lifelong Democrat and is a member of the Methodist Church, South. He is well known in Henry County and in this section of Missouri, and no man stands higher in the estimation of his fellow citizens than Captain Carter. History of Henry County Missouri by Uel W Lamkin 1919
William F. Crome
Personal achievement of moment and consequence to the community in which the individual under review has succeeded in his life work is deserving of more than casual mention. The late William F. Crome, founder of the William F. Crome and Company, wholesale grocery company, of Clinton, Missouri, was a pioneer in his line of endeavor, and succeeded in establishing a wholesale business in Clinton when the undertaking was looked upon as of doubtful success by others of the business world. He established one of the first wholesale grocery concerns in western Missouri and did more than any other Clinton citizen in placing Clinton in the front rank of Missouri commercial towns. For a quarter of a century he contributed to the commercial development of Clinton and western Missouri. As far back as 1887, at a time when it was generally considered impracticable, if not iraposible, to establish a wholesale grocery house in Clinton, Mr. Crome came here and placed in operation a branch house of the Fink and Nasse Wholesale Grocery Company of St. Louis. He began the business here under the name of William F. Crome and Company and his sons are at this day proprietors of the business which he founded and are operating successfully under the original title of the concern. Nearly a third of a century of square dealing has made the name of William F. Crome and Company the leading one in the wholesale grocery world of this section of Missouri. William F. Crome was born in Germany in 1853. When sixteen years of age he immigrated to America, without money or even influential friends to assist him in the upward climb to prosperous well being which became his after years of patient endeavor. He came to this country imbued with the idea of making his fortune and was able and willing to perform any honest labor of which he was capable. He first located in Kentucky and from there went to Nashville, Tennessee, where he obtained employment in an eating place—a position which was no sinecure in those early days and requiring the hardest kind of labor. From Nashville he went to Decatur, an inland Missouri town, where he was employed as general assistant in a flouring mill and a general store. It was here that he secured his first experience in handling retail merchandise and gained an experience in business which was valuable to him in later years. His next move was to Bunker Hill, Kansas, where he operated a general store. Not long afterward he went to St. Louis and was married, shortly afterward returning to Bunker Hill with the intention of remaining there in business for himself. He soon sold out his interests in Kansas and, going to St. Louis, became connected with the firm of Fink and Nasse. Attaining a partnership in this concern, he remained in St. Louis until 1887, when he came to Clinton and established the wholesale grocery business which still bears his name and is operated by his sons. This was the first wholesale grocery business established in Henry County and is the leading one, covering a broad scope of territory in western Missouri. The trade of this establishment covers a radius of about fifty miles of prosperous territory around Clinton, and everything usually found in a first-class, well-equipped wholesale grocery house can be had at short notice from the William F. Crome and Company. The reputation and high standing of this institution has been builded upon the twin precepts of success—quality and service.
William F. Crome departed this life January 12, 1910 at his home in Clinton. He was in active management of his immense business until his health began to fail him. During his long years of residence in Clinton he took an active part in the upbuilding of the city and its development, contributing probably more than any other citizen of his day to the devolpment of this city and through his business, giving the city a wide advertisement as a trade center. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church and lived a clean and upright life, being ever ready to contribute liberally to worthy religious and charitable enterprises. For a number of years he was a member of the Clinton school board and took an active and influential interest in educational matters until compelled to resign from the board on account of failing health.
Mr. Crome was married in 1882 to Miss Julia Fink, of St. Louis. Mrs. Julia (Fink) Crome is the daughter of Conrad Fink, a man who had a remarkable business career and during his time was one of the captains of industry of St. Louis. Mr. Fink began his career as a steam-boat captain on the Mississippi River and became the owner of a fleet of boats plying that waterway in the days when the Mississippi was the great artery of commerce through the western and central sections of the country. He commanded the first boat to reach Memphis, flying the Union flag during the Civil War. After the war he engaged in the milling business in St. Louis and amassed a fortune. Later, he engaged in the wholesale grocery business there and amassed another fortune. Mr. Fink died at Ashville, North Carolina, while sojourning there for his health.
To William F. and Julia (Fink) Crome were born five children: Carl A., William F., Robert, Conrad E., and Alice. William F., Conrad E., and Carl A., are now the owners and active managers of the business founded by their father, and which is carried on under the name of William F. Crome and Company. All are well educated and received a thorough training in the business under their capable and successful father and are enterprising and worthy citizens of the city of their birth and rearing. The sons of William F. Crome were all educated in the Culver Military Academy of Indiana, and are affiliated fraternally with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and are Knights Templars and members of the Mystic Shrine. The Crome Brothers represent a high type of progressive business men and good citizenship, being ever ready and liberal in their contributions and support of worthy local enterprises. Carl A. Crome married Miss Helen Mitchell of Clinton, and has one child, Helen Elizabeth. Miss Alice Crome resides with her mother in Clinton. William F. Crome was married in July, 1918, to Miss Cory McConnell of Clinton. Conrad F. Crome was born August 5, 1892, is an enlisted officer in the National Army of the United States, was graduated from the Second Officers' Training Camp at Fort Sheridan, August 28, 1917, and is now serving as captain with the 305th Supply Train, with the American Field Army at the western front in France. [Source: History of Henry County Missouri by Uel W Lamkin 1919]
Edgar Cornick, proprietor of the Clinton Green House, is one of the progressive business men of Clinton, and at the head of the oldest established green house in the county. This green house is located in the south-western part of the city on Artesian avenue, and was established about twelve years ago. About three acres are devoted to flower and plant culture and about 6,500 square feet are under glass. Here all kinds of plants, flowers, bulbs and shrubs usually found in a modern green house are kept growing summer and winter. The plant is equipped with steam heat so that the temperature can be kept normal for plant life during the most severe winter weather. The Clinton Green House has customers covering a large scope of territory and flowers are shipped to numerous towns in the surrounding country. Edgar Cornick was born near Ripley, Brown County, Ohio, December 1, 1874, a son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Van Landingham) Cornick. Thomas Cornick, the father, was a son of John Cornick, who came to Ohio with his parents when he was a child. He died in 1874. He was a native of Pennsylvania and a son of Thomas Cornick, who came to Ohio with his family at a very early date, before Ohio was admitted to statehood, and settled in what later became Brown County. When the Cornick family crossed the Allegheny Mountains on their way to Ohio, which was then the far west, they carried their belongings on pack horses, and the subject of this sketch has heard it related by his ancestors how they carried their children in two large baskets that were suspended on either side of one of the horses, and the grandfather of Mr. Cornick of this review was one of the children that was thus carried from Pennsylvania.
Thomas Cornick, the great-grandfather of Edgar, was a soldier in the Revolutionary War and spent the latter years of his life in Ohio. Thomas Cornick, the father of our subject, was a soldier in the Union army during the Civil War and served in Battery F, First Ohio Light Artillery. He enlisted when the war broke out and served until its close, and took part in several important engagements but was never wounded. Elizabeth (Van Landingham) Cornick was born in Flemmingsburg, Kentucky, in 1831 and came to Ohio with her parents in 1845. She was a daughter of Manly Van Landingham. She died in 1911. Her husband departed this life in 1909.
Cornick was one of a family of six children born to his parents who are now living: Thomas, resides near Ripley, Ohio; Mary, married G. C. Jordan, Lavanna, Ohio; W. N., Clinton, Missouri; Ida, married W. T. Jordan, a former resident of Clinton, now residing at Lavanna, Ohio; Arthur, Clinton, Missouri, and Edgar, the subject of this sketch. Mr. Cornick was reared and educated in Ohio. He first came to Missouri in 1898, and after spending about a year here returned to Ohio and for a tune was engaged in farming and later entered the shoe business. In 1913 he returned to Missouri, and for two years was employed in the green house which he purchased in 1915, in partnership with W. T. Jordan, and later bought Mr. Jordan's interest. Mr. Cornick is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and the Woodmen of the World, and politically is identified with the Republican party, although he is inclined to be independent. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. History of Henry County Missouri by Uel W Lamkin 1919
Dr. Robert D. Haire
Dr. Robert D. Haire, a well known and successful physician of Henry County located at Clinton, is a native of Missouri. He was born in Dade County September 22, 1855, and is a son of Samuel H. and Eliza J. (Le-Master) Hare, the former a native of Georgia and the latter of east Tennessee. They came with their respective parents to Missouri at a very early day and were among the pioneer settlers of Dade County. He was a forty-niner, making the trip to California overland during the gold excitement of 1849. After following the shifting fortunes of gold mining for three years, he returned to Missouri by way of the Isthmus of Panama. When the Civil War broke out Samuel H. Haire removed with his family to Alton, Illinois, but returned to Missouri in 1863 and settled at Smithton. He was engaged in the mercantile business, but like many others was broken up in business on account of the war. He died in California May 25, 1869, aged forty-five years and three days. His widow survived him a number of years and departed this life at Connersville, Indiana, November 18, 1906, aged eighty years.
Dr. Robert D. Haire was one of a family of five children born to his parents as follow: N. H., was a prominent stockman at Smithton, Missouri, where he died January 26, 1916; Josephine, married James Layman, Smithton, Missouri, and died April 18, 1880; Dr. Robert D., the subject of this sketch; Mary Elizabeth, the widow of Dr. S. M. Hamilton, resides at Seattle, Washington, and Charles H., assistant superintendent for Emery Bird & Thayer Company, Kansas City, Missouri. Dr. Haire received his preliminary education in the public schools of Smithton, Missouri, and later attended Lincoln University, Lincoln, Illinois. He then entered the Missouri Medical College at St. Louis, Missouri, where he was graduated in the class of 1878 with a degree of Doctor of Medicine. He then engaged in the practice of his profession at Schell City, Missouri, and for twenty years was one of the successful physicians of that locality. In 1898 Dr. Haire came to Clinton and since that time has ranked as one of the leading physicians and surgeons of Henry County. During recent years he has confined himself largely to office work and surgery. Dr. Haire has done a great deal of post-graduate work and given much time and labor to scientific research along the lines of his chosen profession. After graduating from Missouri Medical College he later took a course in the Bellevue Hospital Medical College, where he was graduated in 1883, with a degree of Doctor of Medicine. In 1890 and 1891 he studied in Vienna, Austria, taking a general post-graduate course. In 1910 he took a special course in Berlin, Germany, and again returned to Berlin in 1913, taking special post-graduate work.
Dr. Haire was united in marriage November 17, 1892, with Miss Maud Maus, a native of Schell City, Missouri, and a daughter of J. H. Maus, a pioneer of that section of Missouri, who is now deceased. To Dr. and Mrs. Haire have been born four children, as follow: Frances, a graduate of the Sargent School of Physical Education, Cambridge, Massachusetts, and a Clinton High School graduate, and is now instructor of physical training at Lindenwood College, Lindenwood, Missouri; Cornelia Carter, a graduate of the Clinton High School and Lindenwood College, and is now instructor in domestic science in the public schools of Clinton; Marian, a student in Lindenwood College, where she is specializing in music, and Robert D., Jr., a student in the Clinton grade schools.
Dr. Haire is a member of the County, State and American Medical Association and the Southern Medical Association. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge, being a Knights Templar Mason, and a member of the Mystic Shrine. He also holds membership in the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Dr. Haire not only devotes himself to a busy professional career, every minute of which is crowded with activity and responsibility, but he is also alive to the best interests of his town and county. He has served on the Clinton school board for twelve years. He and his wife have traveled a great deal. They have not only made several trips to different sections of Europe, but have also visited Alaska and the Tropics. [History of Henry County Missouri by Uel W Lamkin 1919]
W. H. Hurley
W. H. Hurley, president of the W. H. Hurley Grain Company of Clin-ton, Missouri, is one of the progressive business men of Henry County. He was born at Saukville, Wisconsin, November 8, 1873, and is a son of James and Hannah (McCarthy) Hurley, the former a native of New York and the latter of Massachusetts. They came west and settled in Wisconsin at an early day. The mother is now deceased and the father resides in Wisconsin. They were the parents of the following: children: James F., Green Ridge, Missouri; Agnes, married Merton Emery, West Bend, Wisconsin; Catherine, a trained nurse in Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Robert, a locomotive engineer on the Northern Pacific railway, resides at Tacoma, Washington; Frank, employed in the city treasurer's office at Seattle, Washington; Anna, the wife of Lieut. J. J. Clark, who is now in France with the National Army, and she resides at West Bend, Wisconsin, and W. H., the subject of this sketch.
W. H. Hurley was reared in Wisconsin and attended the public schools. He also took a business course in the Spencerian Business College, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He began his business career in a lumber yard at Rich Hill, Missouri, where he remained two years, and in 1897 came to Clinton, where he was engaged in the lumber business for ten years. In 1907 he engaged in the grain business at Clinton, continuing in that business under his individual name until 1916, when the W. H. Hurley Grain Company was incorporated and Mr. Hurley became its president. This company is one of the important commercial institutions of Clinton and Henry County. They have a large storage elevator in Clinton which is the headquarters of the company. They have an elevator at La Due also, and about twelve buying stations in various parts of the country. The main office of the company and elevator are located on Main, Grand and River streets in Clinton and they employ about eight men.
Mr. Hurley was united in marriage October 8, 1897, to Miss Winifred L. McCarty of Rich Hill, Missouri. Four children have been born to this union as follow: Jessie, a student at Loretta College, Webster Groves, Missouri ; Winifred, student in the Clinton High School; Robert, a student in Clinton High School, and Margaret, also a student in the Clinton schools.
Mr. Hurley is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Knights of Columbus. His political affiliations are with the Democratic party, but he is inclined to be independent in politics. He is one of Clinton's substantial and progressive business men, whose contribution to the commercial importance of the town is no small factor. History of Henry County Missouri by Uel W Lamkin 1919
L. C. Jones
L. C. Jones, the well known recorder of deeds of Henry County, is a native of Indiana. He was born in Jennings County in 1868, a son of Louis E. and Catherine (Burns) Jones, both natives of Indiana. The Jones family is of old Virginia stock and George D. Jones, grandfather of L. C, was a Virginian, and went to Indiana from his native State at a very early day in the history of Indiana. Later, or about 1867, he went to Illinois, where he spent the remainder of his life. Louis E. Jones removed from Indiana to Illinois in 1868, and now resides near Chester, Randolph County, Illinois. Catherine (Burns) Jones is also a descendant of one of the very early pioneer families of Indiana.
L. C. Jones is one of a family of seven children born to his parents, six of whom are living as follow: E. W„ Terre Haute, Indiana; I. H., Sparta, Illinois; Nellie, the wife of John Boyd, Effingham, Illinois; Ina, now the wife of John Kull, who resides in northern Indiana; Susan, the wife of Lee Nolan, Sparta, Illinois, and L. C, the subject of this sketch. L. C. Jones was reared and educated in Illinois. He spent his boy-hood days on the home farm and in 1887 came to Henry County, Missouri, where he followed farming and threshing for twenty-three years. He was engaged in the mercantile business at Quarles for eight years, although he has always been interested in farming and threshing. In 1914 he was elected recorder of Henry County and is now serving in that capacity, although he continues to reside on his home place, which is a splendid farm of 180 acres in Deer Creek township. In addition to general farming Mr. Jones is extensively engaged in raising cattle, horses and mules, and is well known as a successful breeder of pure blood Shropshire sheep. Mr. Jones was married April 22, 1892, to Miss Lillian I. Spicer, a native of St. Louis County, Missouri. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Jones, Luther C, Bisbee, Arizona; Grace E., Claud and Alice, who reside at home with their parents. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and Mr. Jones is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, the Masonic Lodge and has been identified with the Democratic party since boyhood. He is one of the substantial and enterprising citizens of Henry County. [History of Henry County Missouri by Uel W Lamkin 1919]
Charles J. Keil
Starting out in the business world at an early age, Charles J. Keil has since been dependent upon his own efforts and resources and the success which he has achieved has come to him as the direct result of his determination and energy, guided by sound judgment. He was born at Huntsville, Alabama, October 6, 1864, a son of Joseph W. and Louisa A. (Plath) Keil. The father was a native of Austria, born April 3, 1838, while the mother's birth occurred in Prussia, March 2, 1838. The father learned the jeweler's trade in his native land and when a young man came to the United States, working for a time in New York City, after which he removed to Huntsville, Alabama. There after remaining for a brief period in the employ of another he started in business on his own account. His final naturalization papers were granted him in 1866. He was married in Huntsville in 1860 and left that State in December, 1864, removing to Burlington, Iowa, but after a few months there he took up his abode in Rushville, Illinois. He had sacrificed all his property in Alabama owing to the exigencies of the war. After five years at Rushville he removed to Clinton, Missouri, on the tenth day of June, 1870, and engaged in the jewelry business, in which he continued until his death on the twenty-eighth of August, 1897. While his stock was at first comparatively small, he built up the largest business not only in Henry County but in his part of the State and became recognized as one of the foremost merchants of Clinton. He devoted much time to his commercial interests, but when he had leisure moments spent them in caring for his flowers. He was the possessor of the finest flower garden in this part of the State, cultivating every species and variety of flowers that could be raised in this climate. He found both pleasure and relaxation in this and his fellow townsmen pointed with pride to his beautiful gardens. Mrs. Keil still makes her home in Clinton, where she has now resided for forty-four years. They were the parents of four children.
Charles J. Keil, the third in order of birth, attended the public schools of Clinton and under his father's direction learned the jeweler's trade. He took his place behind the counter when but nine years of age. His father gave him most thorough instruction in all branches of the work. He would not allow him to take down a watch until he knew how to make every part of it. He continued in the store and eventually was admitted to partnership by his father, the relationship being thus maintained until the father's death, although for some years prior to his demise the son was in full control of the business, owing to the condition of his father's health. Charles J. Keil has devoted his entire time and attention to the store and its interests and the Keil jewelry establishment is known all over this part of Missouri. He carries one of the largest and most complete stocks outside of Kansas City and, in fact, his establishment would compare favorably with many of the leading jewelry houses of the metropolis of western Missouri. He occupies two floors of a building one hundred by twenty-two feet and the property is owned by Mr. Keil. He carries a most interesting line of both foreign and domestic manufacture and a very attractive stock of diamonds and other jewels.
In September, 1897, Mr. Keil was united in marriage to Miss Henrietta Kemper, who was born in Audrain County, Missouri, near Mexico, a daughter of Jonathan and Martha E. (Early) Kemper, who were natives of Owen County, Kentucky. The father, who was born January 2, 1826, died January 13, 1902, at the advanced age of seventy-six years. His wife was born August 13, 1849. In early life he engaged in the stock business in his native State and after removing to Missouri he continued in the same line in Audrain County, where he preempted land and developed a good farm. After residing there for a number of years he removed to Montrose, Henry County, where he continued in the same business, remaining in that locality throughout the rest of his days. His widow survives him and now makes her home in Clinton with Mr. and Mrs. Keil. A little nephew of Mrs. Keil, born in 1901, also resides with them, for, having been left an orphan when a mere child, he was adopted into their family. In politics Mr. Keil is an independent Democrat. He has filled the office of city treasurer, yet has never been a politician in the usually accepted term of office seeking. Fraternally he is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias, the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Fraternal Aid. He is likewise a member of the Christian Church and his life, at all times honorable in its purposes, has won for him the high regard of those with whom he has been associated. Mr. Keil is a deacon in the Christian Church and is secretary and treasurer of the Henry County Board of Christian Churches, a position which he has capably filled for several years. He never fails to meet an obligation or keep an engagement, holds to the highest standards of commercial ethics and the consensus of opinion on the part of his colleagues and contemporaries places him with the leading business men and citizens of Clinton. History of Henry County Missouri by Uel W Lamkin 1919
Peyton A. Parks
The name of Parks figures prominently in connection with the history of the courts in Henry County and Peyton A. Parks is today one of the distinguished members of the bar of Henry County. He was born in this county, August 22, 1855, a son of James and Mary (Allen) Parks. His paternal grandfather was one of Missouri's honored pioneer settlers and laid out and founded the city of Clinton. He was licensed to practice law in Kentucky in 1823 and became one of the early and prominent members of the Missouri bar, displaying notable ability in the trial of cases and the handling of important litigated interests entrusted to his care. The name of Parks has for eighty years been closely associated with the history of Henry County and has ever been a synonym for progressiveness and public-spirited citizenship. James Parks, father of Peyton A. Parks, was born near Stanford, Lincoln County, Kentucky, October 23, 1827. In early life he devoted his attention to farming and school teaching. He accompanied his parents on their removal to Cooper County, Missouri, in 1827, and to Henry County in 1834 so that he here practically spent his entire life. In 1860 he was elected county assessor and made a creditable record in that capacity. Subsequently other official honors were conferred upon him. He became circuit clerk and recorder of deeds and while thus engaged his interest in the law led him to take up the study of the principles of jurisprudence and he was admitted to the bar. He then entered upon active practice as a member of the firm of R. Allen & Company and following the withdrawal of Mr. Allen, Judge Gantt joined Mr. Parks in a partnership, and with the addition of a third member, William T. Thornton, the firm style of Parks, Thornton & Gantt was assumed. That relation continued until Mr. Thornton was appointed governor of the territory of New Mexico by President Cleveland, and Judge Gantt went upon the circuit bench. Mr. Parks was joined by his son Peyton in 1880 and they continued together in the practice of law until the father retired because of old age. He was probate judge for twenty years and was long accounted one of the foremost members of the bar in his section of the State. He held to the highest ideals of the profession and the thoroughness and care with which he prepared his cases and the clearness, force and logic with which he presented his cause before the courts made him notably successful. He died June 26, 1904, honored and respected by all who knew him. For about three years he had survived his wife, who passed away July 2, 1901.
Peyton A. Parks was the only son in a family of six children. He attended both public and private schools of Clinton and when twenty years of age began teaching, remaining as principal of the Montrose schools for three and a half years. In the meantime he took up the study of law, to which he devoted his leisure hours, and following his admission to the bar he entered upon active practice in connection with his father. He has since continued as a general practitioner and devotes his entire time to his professional duties. Four generations of the Parks family have been connected with the legal profession in Clinton, for Peyton A. Parks is now associated with his only son, James A. They have one of the best equipped and most complete law offices to be found outside of the large cities. They occupy a suite of rooms in a two story building which they erected. The lower floor is divided into two large general offices, separated only by a broad archway and grille work. In the rear of these are the private offices. The walls are lined with long cases filled with works on law. The upper floor consists of one large room, richly carpeted, and at each end of the room is a long council table. In this room the four walls are completely lined with continuous shelves of books rising from the floor to more than three-fourths the height of the wall. Above the cases on one side of the room are enlarged pictures of the father and grandfather of Peyton A. Parks and also of his maternal grandfather, while the other four walls are adorned with pictures of well known statesmen and eminent men. With the contents of an extensive library Peyton A. Parks is largely familiar. He is a constant student of the law and seems never at a loss for principle or precedent to cite in proof of the correctness of his position.
On the twenty-first of September, 1882, Mr. Parks was married to Miss Mary E. Gathright, who was born in Callaway County, Missouri, a daughter of James and Hester E. (Shackleford) Gathright, both of whom were natives of Virginia and at an early day went to Callaway County. The father engaged in farming, but afterward turned his attention to merchandising in Henry County, although death soon terminated his business career in the latter county. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Parks was born a son, James A., whose natal day was October 13, 1883. He is now associated with his father in law practice. He married Miss Lizzie Wallis, and they have one child, Frances, born August 16, 1913. James A. Parks devotes his entire time to his professional duties. Both father and son arc members of the Masonic fraternity and hold membership with the Modern Woodmen and with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. Peyton A. Parks as well as the junior member gives his political allegiance the Democratic party and always keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day. He was county school commissioner when engaged in teaching from 1879 to 1881 and also a member of the State tax commission under Governor Dockery. Both father and son have been very active in all patriotic lines and war activities. The former has been and is vice-chairman of the Red Cross in Henry County, speaking and organizing on that line. For the past twenty-six years, or from 1892, Mr. Parks has been chairman of the sixth congressional committee. Mr. Peyton Parks and his wife are members of the Baptist Church and their social position is one of well deserved prominence. Theirs is a hospitable home and its good cheer is enjoyed by a constantly increasing circle of friends. A lifelong resident of Henry County, Peyton A. Parks has made an honorable record, following in the footsteps of father and grandfather and carrying on the work which was instituted by them in behalf of city and county. No history of this section would be considered complete without extended mention of the Parks family, so active have they been in support of all that pertains to the welfare, progress and improvement of this section of the State. [History of Henry County Missouri by Uel W Lamkin 1919]
J. W. Penland
J. W. Penland, one of Henry County's most successful men and a member of a pioneer family of this section of Missouri, is a native of Tennessee. He was born in Cox County, Tennessee, August 23, 1843, a son of Aaron and Catherine (Phillips) Penland, the former a native of Tennessee and the latter of South Carolina. Aaron Penland came to Missouri with his family in 1871, and settled in Henry County on the Grand River, west of Clinton. Here he followed farming during the remainder of his life. He died in 1885, and his wife departed this life in 1893. They were the parents of six children, as follow: S. K., Clinton, Missouri; J. W. the subject of this sketch; Jane, now Mrs. Bryant, Galena, Kansas; Edna Langley, now deceased; Mrs. Maggie Stephens, Galena, Kansas, and A. G., deceased.
In early life J. W. Penland worked by the month as a farm laborer. When he came to Henry County he had saved about $1,000, and he deposited $600 of that in a bank which failed a short time afterward. He then went to work on the construction of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas railroad and when the road began to be operated he took charge of the Grand River pumping station, which furnished water to the tank there to supply the locomotives with water. At first the water was pumped by hand, which task Mr. Penland performed with the assistance of another man. Later improved machinery was installed, which consisted of horse power. This continued to be the method of pumping until the water tank was removed to Deepwater, where a steam pump was installed. Mr. Penland was in the employ of the railroad company eleven years in all. Early in life Mr. Penland realized the earning power of money and while in the employ of the railroad company he not only purchased two hundred acres of land, but loaned considerable money, and during his entire business career in Henry County has loaned large sums of money. He was engaged in farming for ten years and in 1894 came to Clinton, where he has since made his home, and during that time has carried on an extensive loan business. During his time he has owned a great deal of land in Henry County and has bought and sold several hundred acres in the course of his various transactions. He is one of Henry County's substantial citizens and has accumulated a comfortable fortune. He has invested $14,000 in Liberty Bonds.
Mr. Penland was united in marriage in 1881 to Miss Anna Potter, a native of Indiana. She departed this life January 12, 1912. No children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Penland. Mr. Penland has been a life long Democrat and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He has seen much of the development of Henry County and in its up-building has contributed his part. He is public spirited and has ever co-operated with any movement for the betterment of Clinton and Henry County. History of Henry County Missouri by Uel W Lamkin 1919
The Runner family
The Runner family were early settlers in western Missouri. Michael Runner, grandfather of Sheriff Runner, settled in Post Oak township, Johnson County, on Mineral Creek several years prior to the Civil War. He was a Virginian and came to this State with his family and followed farming in Johnson County until his death. He was a victim of bush-whackers during the days of the border war. He was an old man at the time when the Civil War broke out, and on account of his advanced age, he believed that he would be unharmed and remained on his place, but subsequent events proved that he was mistaken, for his blood-thirsty assassins were no respectors of gray hairs. They murdered him the next day after they had murdered his son, Isaac, who was a cripple, having lost a leg in an accident some years previous. The father and son were killed while they with the assistance of their women folks were preparing for the burial of an uncle of Sheriff Runner, a brother of his father, whom the bushwhackers had previously killed. After murdering the three members of the family, the marauders robbed the house of everything of value and took the horses with them. Sheriff Runner's grandmother spent her life on the old home place in Johnson County, which is still owned by her descendants.
William Runner, father of Sheriff Runner, went to Illinois, where he remained during the Civil War and at its close returned to Johnson County, where he was successfully engaged in farming and stock raising during the remainder of his life. He died January 26, 1892. His wife departed this life November 15, 1903. She was born in Pettis County, and her parents were early settlers in that section of Missouri. They were Kentuckians.
Sheriff Runner is one of a family of six children born to his parents as follows: James, Joplin, Missouri; W. T., the subject of this sketch; Walter, Memphis, Tennessee; Joseph, died at the age of twenty-one years; Leota, now the wife of Thomas Garnett, a railroad contractor residing at Lake Charles, Louisiana, and Maud, the wife of J. B. Thompson, Lake Charles, Louisiana.
W. T. Runner was reared to manhood in Johnson County, Missouri, and received his education in the public schools. He followed farming there until 1889, when he came to Henry County and bought a farm in Shawnee township. Here he was engaged in farming and stock raising until 1916, when he was elected sheriff of Henry County, and since that time has resided in Clinton and devoted himself to the duties of that office. He is a capable and conscientious public official and has a broad acquaintance in Henry County and friends without number. He has a valuable farm of 160 acres in Shawnee township which he has rented since he assumed the duties of the office of sheriff. Sheriff Runner is a Democrat and has been identified with that party since boyhood.
In 1887 W. T. Runner was united in marriage with Miss Blanche Cameron, a native of Henry County, and a daughter of James Cameron, a Henry County pioneer, now deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Runner have been born three children: Rolla, now a member of the One Hundred Twenty-ninth Field Artillery, National Army, in service on the western front in France; Glenn, and Earl, who reside at home. Mrs. Blanche Runner, mother of the foregoing children, died in 1907. Mr. Runner married Mrs. Carrie Cochrane, a widow, in 1909. Mrs. Carrie Runner has one daughter by a former marriage, Jessie, at home. Sheriff Runner is a member of the Masonic Lodge and the Baptist Church. [History of Henry County Missouri by Uel W Lamkin 1919]
W. T. Thornton
Hon. W. T. Thornton, who occupies the most exalted position in the Territory of New Mexico, being its present Governor, and stands equally high in the esteem and confidence of the people, was born in Calhoun, Henry county, Missouri, on the 9th day of February, 1843. His ancestors came from England to Virginia among the early settlers of that colony and settled upon large land grants received from the British crown. They became prominent in the early history of the Dominion, many of them occupying important official positions, prior to and during the war of the Revolution. One of them was an Aid-de-Camp upon the staff of General Washington; another, Anthony Thornton, of Fredericksburg, held a commission as Colonel in the Continental army commanding the celebrated White Horse Cavalry of Virginia.
After the close of the Revolution, many of it members moved West and South, settling in North Carolina, Alabama, Kentucky, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and Missouri, where they have filled many places of trust throughout the history of the country, and have been prominent in the professions, both of law and medicine. Among the most prominent members of the family may be mentioned Hon. William F. Thornton, late of Shelbyville, Illinois; Judge Anthony Thornton, who was at one time a member of the Supreme Court of Illinois; Judge Harry Ennis Thornton, one of the commissioners appointed by the President to settle the Mexican land grants in the State of California; and his son, Harry Ennis Thornton, Jr., who recently died in the city of San Francisco.
The father of the Governor, Dr. W. T. Thornton, was born near Chancellorsville, in the State of Virginia, in 1805, and with his parents moved to Kentucky in 1811, settling in Oldham county, where he was reared to manhood. He was graduated at the Medical College in Cincinnati, and began the practice of his chosen profession in Jacksonville, Illinois, in the year 1835. Later on he returned to Kentucky, where he was married to Miss Caroline V. Taylor, a daughter of Major William Taylor, who won his title as a soldier in the war of the Revolution; after his marriage he returned to Jacksonville, where he resided until the Major's death, in 1840, when he removed to Missouri, settling at Thornton's Ferry upon Grand river, from which place he moved to the town of Calhoun in Henry county, where he continued to reside until his death in 1875. In politics, in early life he was a Whig; was a warm friend and admirer of Henry Clay; was a man of most generous impulses and high principle, and commanded the respect of all who knew him.
Dr. Thornton was the youngest of thirteen children, having six brothers and six sisters, whose descendants are scattered through nearly all the States from Virginia to California. One of his brothers, D. M. C. Thornton, was a purser in the United States Navy; another son, Dr. John Thornton, married a daughter of President W. H. Harrison, and was a prominent physician at Cleves, Ohio.
As stated above, the mother of Governor Thornton was Miss Caroline V. Taylor, a daughter of Major William Taylor, of Louisville, Kentucky; and it will be thus seen that the Governor comes of Revolutionary stock, his ancestors on both sides having fought in the Revolution. Major William Taylor, his mother's father, was also one of seven brothers, all of whom were officers in the Continental army; two of them were killed in battle, and a third died on board a prison ship in Boston harbor. He has two aunts and an uncle upon his mother's side, still living, all of whom have reached a very advanced age, the youngest being eighty-four, and the eldest ninety years of age. They are among the very few persons now surviving whose parents fought in the war of the Revolution.
Governor Thornton is one of seven children, three of whom are now deceased. Of those living, the eldest is Judge Paul F. Thornton, now of Austin, Texas, who is president of the Thornton Banking Company of Nevada, Missouri, which institution he organized in 1869. The other surviving children are James J. Thornton, and Mrs. Caroline V. Wilson, of Waco, Texas.
The Governor was educated in a private school near Sedalia, Missouri, and graduated in the law department of the Kentucky University, at Louisville, Kentucky, in the class of 1868. In the spring of 1861, he left school and entered the Confederate army, serving as a private soldier in the body guard of General Sterling Price for two years; subsequently he was connected with the organization of Wood's battalion, serving in Company C, commanded by his brother, Captain Paul F. Thornton. During the retreat from Springfield, Missouri, in February, 1862, he was captured and carried to Alton, Illinois, where he remained in prison until the following October.
During his imprisonment, an incident occurred which fully indicates the Governor's character and explains his innate love of justice, and shows that he possesses the moral courage and firmness to do his duty under the most trying circumstances. He, in connection with some of his comrades, devised a plan of escape. To accomplish this successfully, it was necessary to have the means of getting over the prison wall. A ladder was made to reach the top, and the Governor slipped into the stable and procured the lines from the harness, to be used in getting down. After this had all been accomplished they were seen by one of the guards and the alarm was given, when it was concluded to hide the ladder and return the lines, so that their plans might not be discovered, and the attempt could be made again at some more propitious time. The lines were given to a man who agreed to take them back to the place from which they had been taken; but he, fearing discovery and trouble, in the place of returning them as agreed upon, carried them to the room occupied by himself and others in the second story of the building used for prisoners' headquarters, and put them through the stovepipe hole in the chimney, from which place they fell down through the chimney into the fire-place below, where they were found the next morning by one of the prisoners who occupied the lower room. Just as the Federal guard entered the room, or soldiers' quarters, and ordered the prisoners out that they might search for the missing lines, the men who had them, not wishing to be caught with them, walked up to the nearest cot, lifted the bedding and hid them beneath the bedclothes where they were found a few minutes after by the guard. The number of the cot was taken and the name of its occupant ascertained, when he was arrested and locked up in a cell. This coming to the Governor's ears, he went directly to the adjutant, acknowledged his connection with the affair, and explained how the lines came to be hid in the bed where they were found, and told him that if any one was to be punished, he should be. He was taken at his word, and the other party released, and the Governor placed in a cell where he remained in close confinement for twenty-eight days.
At the end of this time there was a change in the commanding officers of the prison. The new commandant sent for Mr. Thornton and said to him: "Your course is a manly one, and I believe I can trust you; and if you will give your word not to escape, I will release you from close confinement." The promise being given, he was sent back to general quarters. Some weeks after this, he, with the two sons of Colonel Magoffin and one or two others, found a concealed place in what at one time had been a bake oven, but was then unused. Taking this as a place of beginning, they, with a bread-knife and bread-pan for tools, dug a tunnel sixty feet in length, going under the prison wall and coming to the surface outside near the Mississippi river. It was slow work, taking over a month to accomplish, working day and night, two men at a time, one of whom sat in the oven and the other lay down in the tunnel. The earth was loosed with the breadknife and placed in the pan, which had a string tied to each end the man in the oven having hold of one end of the string, and the one at work the other. Two jerks indicated that the pan was full, when it was drawn out, emptied into the oven, and the same signal given to tell when the pan was empty. Fifty-six men crawled through this hole in one night and escaped to freedom, three of whom, including Colonel Magoffin, were taken from cells where they were held in close confinement. Notwithstanding the Governor worked to help his friends to freedom, he refused to go himself. Like every man in confinement, the desire for liberty was great; still he resisted the temptation and remained in prison rather than break his plighted word. This indicates one of the strongest traits of the Governor's character, – his fidelity to any trust reposed in him. When he believes himself to be in the right and once gives his word, nothing can turn him from his path; and no self-sacrifice proves too great for him, if thereby he can prove his loyalty to any cause to which he is pledged. He is known as a man of the highest honor and integrity.
After eight weary months spent in prison, he was exchanged and returned to his company, with which he served until the close of the war. He was then mustered out, and returned to his studies, and after his graduation began the practice of law in Clinton, Missouri. While there he served two terms as a member of the Town Council, and in 1876 represented the county in the State Legislature. Through close application to business his health failed, and, necessitating a change of climate, he came to Santa Fe, in 1877. Here he again opened a law office and soon succeeded in establishing a good reputation and winning a liberal patronage. In 1880 he was elected a member of the Territorial Council, and in 1891 was elected the first Mayor of the city of Santa Fe, being the nominee of both parties, receiving every vote cast but one, – a fact which indicates his personal popularity as well as the unlimited confidence and trust reposed in him.
In 1885 Mr. Thornton retired from the legal profession, in order to give more attention to his mining interests, in which he has engaged to a greater or less extent since coming to this Territory. He is now connected with numerous valuable mining enterprises throughout New Mexico; is also largely interested in cattle-raising, being connected with a company which owns about 20,000 head of cattle in Lincoln county. He takes great interest in the development and progress of New Mexico, and has been instrumental in inducing many capitalists to invest largely in industries which have proven of great value to the Territory, promoting commercial activity, enhancing the material prosperity and advancing the general welfare. In April, 1893, Governor Thornton was appointed Governor of New Mexico. His endorsements for this high office included not only the Territorial and nearly all the county organizations of his party throughout the Territory, but also a large majority of the rank and file, showing the confidence and influence which his seventeen years' practice of steadfast Democracy in New Mexico had inspired in the party.
Another and equally potent influence in securing the favorable consideration of President Cleveland, was his well-known and fruitful activity in advertising the native wealth of New Mexico and inducing capitalists to take hold of its development. No man in the Territory is better, if so well, acquainted with its varied resources in mineral, agricultural and pastoral wealth; and his naturally ardent, hopeful and active turn of mind has led him to the expenditure of much effort toward the attraction to New Mexico of some of that vast and moneyed energy which has built up the great trans-Missouri empire, of which the Rocky mountain range is the backbone. The worth of his activity to New Mexico in this regard can be measurably estimated from the statement that he succeeded in securing the investment of over a million dollars in different undeveloped resources of the Territory. Such fruitful activity measures the value of a citizen to the public in any State or Territory of such undeveloped wealth as is New Mexico, and makes him a peculiarly acceptable candidate to the people, as well as a very strong one with a high-minded and thoughtful President like Cleveland.
The financial crisis just beginning to be felt as Governor Thornton entered upon his office, has deprived him of the opportunity to aid still more materially in giving the Territory that increased industrial development which its native riches warrant, and which he had hoped the added influence of his exalted position would enable him to greatly advance.
However, his activity in matters of public interest found abundant fields for operation in other directions, and notably in one. Partly through the indifference, or incompetency, or both, of the prosecuting department of the Territorial government, and partly as well through other causes, there had been a very considerable increase of crime, especially high crime, during the few years just preceding Governor Thornton's administration. There had also been a notable delinquency among tax collectors and others having the receipt, care, or custody of public funds. These unhealthy public conditions commanded Governor Thornton's first efforts, aside from the discharge of the routine duties of his office. The result of the crusade against crime, and against financial delinquency, which he inaugurated and carried on with much vigor of purpose and action, have signalized his administration and have given him a distinguished place in the history of this Territory as the most executive and useful governor New Mexico has ever had. These results have done more to establish the supremacy of law, to secure peace and good order, and to assure the security of life and property, and hence to advance the cause of civilization and social development, than the works of any of his predecessors in his high office. High crime, including political assassinations, involving both Republicans and Democrats, committed prior to his inauguration but still undiscovered, were speedily detected and prosecuted to conviction by the peace and prosecuting officers under his forceful inspiration. Two instances of this are notable in the criminal chronology of the country, and of themselves should and do render his administration memorable in the history of criminal justice in the great West.
Official carelessness and default in handling and accounting for public moneys had become sufficiently common to be scandalous, and Governor Thornton at once set himself to the correction of this evil and to the application of an effectual remedy. Defaulting collectors and receivers of public funds were removed from office, regardless of politics, and the officials of this class all through the Territory were thus, as well as by direct advice, notified that they would be held to a strict accountability in the discharge of their official duty under the law. This has stimulated the officials to a healthy regard for the sacredness of their trust and a wholesome fear of the consequences of shortcoming, thus re-establishing confidence in the safety of the public treasury and security of the avenues through which the public funds travel thereto from the pockets of the individual taxpayers. These works of Governor Thornton, conceived and executed in a purpose of public good, which is necessarily non-partisan, added to the smaller consequence but of equal import in the aggregate, have rendered his administration peculiarly beneficial and acceptable to the whole people of the Territory. It goes without saying, quite naturally, that Governor Thornton's administration in all points purely political does not meet the unqualified approbation of partisan Republicans, but if the unexpired half of his term shall realize the promise of the past, and shall equal the good works thereof, it will beat down and disarm their fractious opposition.
In 1868, soon after Governor Thornton settled in Clinton, Missouri, and began the practice of his profession, he was happily married to Miss Helen Maltby, of New York, daughter of Norman Maltby, who was afterward Mayor of Sedalia, Missouri. [Source: "An Illustrated History of New Mexico . . ."; The Lewis Publishing Company, 1895; transcribed by Genealogy Trails Transcription Team]
Charles Houston Whitaker
Charles Houston Whitaker, owner and editor of the Clinton daily and weekly "Democrat," was born in Savannah, Missouri, February 22, 1862, his parents being Charles Houston and Mary Elizabeth (Selecman) Whitaker. He pursued his education in the schools of Macomb, Illinois, where he completed the high school course. His boyhood and youth were passed in Macomb and his initial training in newspaper work came to him in the office of his father, who was then owner and publisher of the Macomb "Eagle." Mr. Whitaker has been a resident of Clinton since 1894. He has made the "Democrat" both a mirror and molder of public opinion, utilizing the most progressive methods of modern journalism in the publication of his paper, which in both the daily and weekly editions now has a wide circulation. The name indicates the political complexion of the paper and its editor, who has always been a stalwart advocate of Democratic principles, content, however, to support the party as a private citizen rather than seek the rewards of office in recognition of party fealty.
On the seventh of October, 1891, in Galesburg, Illinois, Mr. Whitaker was united in marriage to Miss Ella May Martin, a daughter of T. B. Martin, of Galesburg. They now have three children: Helen Elizabeth, Charles Houston and Marian Frances. Mr. Whitaker belongs to the Masonic fraternity, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, being exalted ruler of Clinton Lodge, No. 1034, in the years 1913-14. In private life as well as through his journalistic connections he stands for progressiveness in citizenship and for civic betterment and has made the "Democrat" a power for good along those lines. [History of Henry County Missouri by Uel W Lamkin 1919]