Henry County Missouri
First white child born, Susan I. Avery, October 36, 1832.
First male child born, R. P. Blevins, October 20, 1833.
First child born, Julia Anne Sherman, a negro, whose mother belonged to Robert Mean, Sr. This child was born July 14, 1832.
First resident minister, Henry Avery, who came in July, 1831.
First school, 1833. An Irishman named Johnson taught school in several places in Fields Creek township. Rev. Colby S. Stevenson taught in the fall of 1833 a few miles south of Windsor.
First resident physician, Richard Wade, who came to Tebo township in 1833.
First horse-mill put up by Dr. Wade in 1833.
First County Court held at Henry Avery's May 4 and 5, 1835.
First Circuit Court at William Goff's, September 21, 1835.
First postoffice, 1835, William Goff, postmaster.
First water-mill put up by Littleberry Kimsey, on Honey Creek, 1837.
First marriage performed by Henry Avery, parties unknown.
First recorded marriage certificate, November 12, 1835, Abraham Mellice performed the ceremony for Thomas A. Knox and Miss Nancy Allen.
First will of record was that of Phillip Cecil, dated July 23, 1836.
First deed of record is one to secure a store debt and was signed by John Anderson, who owed Hall and Ketcham $51.62 and who put up as security in the hands of George P. Woodson three yoke of oxen.
First ferry was started by Edward Mulholiand, who was granted a license to keep a ferry across Grand River on section 9, township 40, range 25, he paying to the state $2.00 for the privilege. His right was to be six cents for a man, twelve cents for a man and horse, twenty-five cents for a one-horse wagon, thirty-one cents for a two-horse wagon, fifty cents for a four-horse wagon, hogs, cattle and sheep four cents each.
First sale of slaves on record belonged to the estate of B. Cox and took place in February, 1838.
First coroner's inquest was on the body of Peggy Givens, the total expense, including everything except coffin, amounted to $6.8*
First pauper under care of County Court, George Manship.
The first election in the township was held at the house of Abraham Bante. The Trollingers and the Guyes came in 1837 and 1838, as did the Fewells and William Chandler.
The first school in this section of the county was taught by W. A. Gray in the winter of 1838 and 1839 and was like other schools of its time a subscription school.
The first teacher was Miss Lucy McCord, who taught two or three terms of school beginning in the year 1837.
[Source - History of Henry County Missouri by Uel W Lamkin 1919]
BACK -- HOME