Obituaries / Death Notice
" B "
Death of John D.
Barrow Calhoun, MO. Clarion 10 Feb 1917
Ellen Barrow, daughter of John J. and Mary
Jane Stone, was born near Campbell Hill, Jackson Co.,
IL., Sep 2, 1846 and died 18 Oct 1933 age 87-1-16
A Sedalian Dead at 83 Sedalia Mo. Nov 27
Bronaugh, C C
was born in Stafford co, Va., in 1805. In 1833 he was
married to Miss Ann E. Waters. Eleven children were
born unto them, nine of whom were present at the death
of their father and witnessed his departure from earth
to heaven. Mr. B. came to Mo in 1840 and settled in
Henry co...they elected him to the office of County
Judge, and continued him to the same for ten
years...But he was not interested in the affairs of
this life alone. Between 30 and 40 years ago he
publicly professed faith in Christ and united with the
Methodist church...He was a true representative of old
Virginia...His was a happy home, happy for wife,
children, bros & sisters, (long eulogy) L. P.
Religious Activity in Missouri 1865-1879
(Adapted from Sketches in The Central Baptist, June 1879, and
R. P. R.
Edwin T. Brown was born in Lancaster County Pennsylvania, in the year 1818. At twelve years of age he surrendered his life to Christ, and about one year thereafter was baptized into the Baptist Church in Pittsburg by the Rev. Dr. Elliott of that city.
He was a student in Fayette College, Pennsylvania, for a short time, but his family having removed to Virginia, he completed his education in Rector College of that State.
In 1838 he was licensed to preach the Gospel. In the selection of the text for his first sermon he showed what was to be the ruling principle of life – “God First.” He was ordained as pastor of the Baptist Church at Connelsville, May, 1843. Shortly after he married Miss Eliza J. Bryson, daughter of Deacon Bryson, Uniontown, Pa., a cultured woman of earnest, consecrated life. She was a source of help and comfort to him during his years of Christian activity.
In 1844 he moved to Ohio, and during the succeeding twenty years, became successively the pastor at Mount Vernon, Wooster and Warner in that State. Each of these churches he left stronger and more beneficently active than he found them.
During the Civil War he entered the service of the Government as Chaplain of the 2nd Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, and here manifested the same zeal for the cause of the Master, and in the interest of winning souls to His service as had been, and was subsequently the ruling spirit of his ministry.
In 1865 he was appointed to represent the Home Mission Society, New York, and came to Missouri. He settled in Sedalia, and thence extended his work as Home Missionary into the surrounding regions. Here he found a few Baptists, but no church, and he went to work among the people of the Lord, and they said, let us rise up and build to His name, and today two flourishing churches stand where there was none. In continuance of his good work – in October, 1866, he and Rev. James Woods, as they were returning from the meeting of Tebo Association, stopped in Clinton, Missouri, and preached in the Courthouse for a period of about two weeks. At the close of this meeting, twelve converts were baptized, and a church of twenty members was organized. About one year later he became pastor of this young church, and entered upon the labor of building a suitable house of worship for it. He continued this effort for about two years, in the meantime serving the church in spiritual matters faithfully and efficiently. He superintended the work of the building to the smallest minutiae, and secured for the First Baptist Church of Clinton one of the best church edifices in southwest Missouri, at the cost of about $20,000. On October 17, 1869, the dedication services were conducted by Rev. Dr. Thomas Rambaut, President of William Jewell College, as preacher, and Rev. Dr. G. J. Johnson, assistant.
He then resigned his office as pastor in Clinton and took the field for the Baptist Publication Society. This agency he held for a few years, then accepted the appointment as financial agent for William Jewell College. He was peculiarly happy in his methods as financial agent, and the College was greatly blessed in his efforts to raise money for its endowment, and in the favorable publicity he gave it in all parts of the state through which he traveled. He held this important office but a few years, for as Sedalia became something of a railroad center, his interest in the condition of that growing city caused him to feel the pressing need of supplying the families of the railroad men with Gospel privileges, and he decided to devote his life to this cause. At his own expense – bating about $200.00 given by a brother in sympathy with his work – he built a commodious chapel in the eastern part of the city, and deeded it to the Home Mission Society. Here he preached without remuneration, and gathered together a church of about one hundred members.
On October 28, 1874, this house was dedicated to the service of the Lord, Rev. Dr. G. J. Johnson of St. Louis preaching the sermon. During the March following a series of meetings was conducted by Rev. Geo. Balcom. At the close of the meetings an invitation was given to those who held letters from Baptist Churches to come together and form a church at this place. Eleven persons presented themselves, and with appropriate exercises the East Sedalia Baptist Church was launched, and has become a veritable Ship of Zion. A pleasant coincidence is found in the fact that during this meeting, Rev. E. T. Brown had the sacred pleasure of baptizing eleven candidates for church membership in the baptistery of the new building, and of the eleven, his own daughter was the first. Brother Brown was chosen as its first pastor, and served one year. After an interim of one year, which he employed in general work for the cause of Christ, he was again elected pastor, and maintained this relationship until a few months before his death.
He had a consuming zeal for church organization, and in his period of labor in Missouri, reorganized many churches that had been dispersed through the vicissitudes of the Civil War, and gathered many of them into a new Association, called the Sedalia Association. This name was subsequently changed to Central Baptist Association. That name has also lapsed, and is in part represented by what is now (1917) Harmony Association. This reminds one that the history of the mazy relations of the Association in Missouri would furnish a striking illustration of the influence that the infinitesimal has in producing change in this world of ours. A number of the churches that ha united in forming Central Baptist Association withdrew and Pettis County Association was the result. Two years later, Pettis County Association was merged into what is now (1917) Harmony Association – and may it ever remain Harmony in spirit if not in name.
The ministerial life of Rev. E. T. Brown was a fruitful one. In the thirty-eight years of his religious activity, he baptized nearly nineteen hundred converts, was pastor of seven churches, organized three, reorganized many, number unknown, and built three church edifices. He seemed to have taken three mottoes as suggestive guides to his religious life, and to have lived up to the spirit of them all: God First”; Carey’s “Attempt great things for God; expect great things from God” ; “Do with your might what your hand findeth to do.”
He died at his home in Sedalia, June 9, 1879, with a stroke of paralysis, after an illness of half an hour. The Baptist Church in Clinton, that he had organized thirteen years before, when the fact of his death became known, devoted the prayer-hour of Wednesday evening to exercises memorial of his beneficient life and labors. It was decided that the church should be represented at the funeral exercises on the following Friday. The deacons of the First Baptist Church were appointed as the representatives, and at Sedalia they were assigned a place among the honorary pall-bearers. The laboring classes, for whose welfare he had so long, so faithfully, so lovingly labored, were prominent among those that mourned the death of this good man.
(Source: Missouri Baptist Biography A Series of Life-Sketches Indicating the Growth and Prosperity of the Baptist Churches As Represented in the Lives and Labors of Eminent Men and Women in Missouri Prepared at the Request of the Missouri Baptist Historical Society by J. C. Maple A.M., D.D. and R. P. Rider, A.M. Volume III; Published for The Missouri Baptist Historical Society, Liberty, Missouri by Schooley Stationery and Printing Co, Kansas City, Missouri (1918) transcribed by Mary Saggio)
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.