Clinton Academy History
Clinton Academy.—An educational institution formerly conducted at Clinton, and founded by W. H. Stahl. In 1881 Emilius P. Lamkin became associated with Mr. Stahl,. and soon afterward assumed complete control. The school was first conducted in. rooms over a store building on the south side of the square, but afterward was moved to a one-story frame building on North Second Street. The lack of suitable buildings was always an obstacle in the way of a large attendance. The enrollment averaged about 125 each year. The work done was not surpassed by any school of its class, and the courses offered were exceptionally advanced. The school was chartered in 1885,and degrees were conferred upon the completion of the classical, scientific, English or commercial courses. From 1882 to 1896 there were seventy-one graduates, many of whom are rising into prominence in their chosen life work. In 1891 the secret society of Phi Lambda Epsilon was founded by four of the students in the academy. The death of the principal, Professor Lamkin, in the middle of the term of 1893-4, was an irreparable loss to the school. For the remainder of that session the associate principal, William M. Godwin, and Charles F. and Uel W. Lamkin, conducted the work. The following year Rev. J. S. Worley and W. H. Forsythe were joint principals, and during 1895-6 Rev. J. L. Darsie was at the head of the institution. At the close of 1895-6 the doors of the academy were permanently closed.
Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.