Howard County, Missouri Genealogy Trails

Biographies

BERNARD, JAMES C., M. D.
was born in Franklin, Howard County, Missouri, October 7, 1821. He received a good common school education, and afterward attended the Georgetown College, of Kentucky. In 1840, having resolved upon the practice of medicine as a profession, he commenced its study with J. H. Ellison, M. D., an able physician in Kentucky, and after a thorough preparation and course in college,, he was graduated, in 1843-4, with honors. He commenced practicing in Howard County, Missouri, and then went to Clay County, locating near Liberty, when, after two years, or in 1848, he came to Hainesville. February 1, 1842, Dr. B. was married to Miss Susan F. Major, a daughter of Rev. John S. Major, a distinguished and well known Baptist clergyman. The doctor's father was raised in Richmond, Virginia, and came to Howard County, Missouri, in 1820. He was the first man in the state to start the manufacture of cordage, in old Franklin, where he manufactured it very largely. After being burned out, he erected a factory in Boonville, Cooper County. The doctor has been an active Royal Arch Mason since 1860. He has been a resident of Hainesville for thirty-three years, and, during this time, has had an extensive and successful practice. He is a man of good judgment, well read, and a gentleman in every sense of the term. In connection with his practice he has a drug store. Dr. B. was one of the leading business men when Hainesville was in her brightest days; but after the railroad passed by, its decline commenced, until he is now the most prominent business man in the place. He will live in the hearts and recollection of the people of Clinton County a long time after he is numbered with the dead.
(Source: The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

 

BOONE, HOWARD O.
president Central States Life Insurance Co.; born, Fayette, Howard Co., Mo., Feb. 13, 1857; son of William C. and Lucy D. Boone; educated public schools, Jefferson City, Mo.; Kemper School, Boonville, Mo.; U. S. Military Academy, Annapolis, Md., two years; married, Jefferson City, Nov. 25, 1900, Janet E. Ewing; three children: William E., Janet E., Howard C. In general merchandise business, Arizona, 1884-90; auditor, bank examiner, chairman Board of Equalization, Arizona Territory, 1893-95; general agent New York Life Insurance Co., Kansas City, Mo., 1895-1906; general manager Capitol Life Insurance Co., Denver, Colo., 1906-08; came to St. Louis, 1908, and organized Central States Life Insurance Co., of which has since been president. Member Business Men's League. Democrat. Methodist. Mason; member B. P. O. Elks. Clubs: Mercantile, Masonic. Recreations: hunting and fishing. Office: 402-410 Central National Bank Bldg., 7th and Olive Sts. Residence: 5933 Cates Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)

 

BOZARTH, B.A.
Born near Fayette, Mo., January, 1824; died on his homestead in the western part of the county on November 25, 1903. At the time of his death he was reported to be the oldest white settler of Adair County. In the fall of 1831 Andrew Bozarth, Hiram Bozart, Hardin Hargis, Isaac Gross, Bennett Brown, and D. Hayes are said to have come on a big hunt to that part of Randolph County which wa> organized as Adair County in 1841. They camped on the ground which afterwards became the Bozarth farm. It is said that after the hunt was over, Andrew Bozarth, the father of B. A. Bozarth, took an axe and cut his name on a tree and declared that the land around about was his claim, and that next year he would raise a corn crop on it. Next spring, true to his declaration, he came with his family and raised his crop. At that time B. A. Bozarth was only seven years old. He lived all the rest of his long life on this same estate. He was married in 1845 to Mrs. F. Jackson, who died in 1895. To this union two children were born. At his death Mr. Bozarth had thirty-five grand-children, and thirteen great-grand-children. In 1902 he was married to Mrs. Mary James, who survived him.
(History of Adair County: By Eugene Morrow Violette & Charles N. Tolman; publ. 1911 by the Denslow History Co. Transcribed and Submitte by Andrea Stawski Pack

CARR, JOSEPH SAMUEL
cashier Chippewa Bank; born, Howard Co., Mo., Nov. 11, 1877; son of Dr. Washington Means and Bettie (Rice) Carr; educated in common schools and later became a student of normal school at Kirksville and at Stanberry, Mo.; unmarried. At seventeen years of age became connected with the Farmers' and Merchants' Bank, of Center, Mo., advancing to position of cashier at age of nineteen; came to St. Louis, 1906, and organized the Chippewa Bank, of which has since been cashier and member board of directors. Democrat. Member Christian (Disciples) Church. Mason; member Knights of Pythias, B. P. O. Elks. Clubs: St. Louis, Mercantile, Liederkranz, Bankers'. Recreation: hunting. Office: 3801 S. Broadway. Residence: 3635 Humphrey St.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)

CLARK, JOHN BULLOCK,
soldier, congressman, was born Jan. 14, 1831, in Fayette, Mo. He entered the confederate army; served as a lieutenant; and was promoted successively to be captain, major, colonel, and brigadier-general. In 1873-83 he was a representative from Missouri to the forty-third, fortyfourth, forty-fifth, forty-sixth, the forty-seventh and forty-eighth congresses as a democrat. He now resides in Washington, D.C.
[Herringshaw’s National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 – Transcribed by Therman Kellar]

COLLIER, LUTHER
The present mayor of Trenton, was born in the town of Fayette, Howard county, Missouri, June 19, 1842. His father, William Collier, was the contractor and builder of the Grundy county court-house, at Trenton, and was in Trenton at the time of his son's birth, making arrangements for the removal of his family to that place. In April, 1843, the family took up their residence in Trenton, where the subject of this sketch was reared, receiving an education in the common schools and high school of Trenton. This latter institution was at that time under the charge of Prof. Joseph Ficklin, now professor of mathematics in the State University. Mr. Collier graduated in the fall of 1859, and in 1860 became assistant instructor at the high school under Prof. W. D. Stewart, principal, and continued until May, 1861.
In the summer of the same year he opened a select school in Trenton, and taught one month, when he gave it up to a young lady, and enlisted in the Missouri State militia for six months. He was mustered out in March, 1862, and resumed teaching in Trenton, but after a three months' term, again enlisted in the service of his country, this time in company B, of the Twenty-Third regiment of Missouri volunteer infantry. He was successively promoted fifth sergeant, orderly sergeant and captain, but before receiving his commission as captain of company A, of the Twenty-Third, he was detailed as acting adjutant of the regiment, and while in discharge of his duties was cut off from mail facilities, and so failed to get his commission until mustered out of the service in Washington City, in June, 1865. Adjutant Collier was an active participant in the battle of Peach Tree Creek, Georgia, the siege of Atlanta, and battle of Jonesborough, Georgia, the fight at Bentonville, North Carolina, besides a number of others, and accompanied General W. T. Sherman in his famous march from Atlanta to the sea.
Returning to Trenton after his honorable discharge from service, he accepted a clerkship in a store, which he held but a short time when he became assistant deputy in the county clerk's office, continuing until 1868. He then began the study of law in the office of Shanklin, Austin & Herrick. February, 1870, he was admitted to the bar, and in 1871 opened an office in Trenton and began the practice of law. With the exception of the winters of 1871 and 1872, when he was docket clerk of the House of Representatives, at Jefferson City, he has continued uninterruptedly in the practice of his profession. He has held several offices of trust at the hands of the people, having been elected clerk of the school-board for seven years in succession, city attorney of Trenton for six years, city clerk from 1869 to 1880, when he was elected mayor, which office he now holds.
Mr. Collier has been twice married. The first time to Miss Martha B. Carter, of Trenton, who was taken from him by death, June 16, 1878. By this union his fireside was blessed with five interesting children, named, respectively, Annie D., Oscar L., Kate, Jewett and Luther.
His second wife, Miss Fannie Browner, of Clinton county, became Mrs. Luther Collier, October 29, 1879. They have one child, Leland H. Mr. and Mrs. Collier are members of the Christian Church of Trenton, of which church the first Mrs. Collier was also a devout member.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack 

COLLIER, R. A.
Robert A. Collier was born in Fayette, Missouri, March 19, 1838. In 1844, when he was six years old, his parents came to Grundy County and settled in Trenton, then a small hamlet, where he was reared and educated and has lived ever since with the exception of four years spent in travel in Colorado, Utah and Illinois. His father being a bricklayer he learned that trade but followed it only a short time after attaining his majority.
In 1861 he enlisted in company B, Twenty-third Missouri volunteer infantry under Colonel Tindall, and participated in the battle of Shiloh, where he was taken prisoner and held as such seven months, during which time he was confined at Corinth, Memphis, Mobile, Montgomery, Chattanooga, Macon, and in Libby Prison; was patrolled at Aiken's Landing, Virginia, October 19, 1862; was twice promoted, first as orderly sergeant and next as second lieutenant. In 1863 he was detailed assistant commissary for the district of Rolla, Missouri, and was mustered out in 1864, serving six months longer than the term enlisted for. Returning to Trenton he was deputized county and circuit clerk by Hon. George H. Hubbell. In 1866 he engaged in the mercantile business with W. T. Wisdom, under firm name of Wisdom & Collier, and retired from the firm the following winter. In the tall of 1870 he was elected county treasurer of Grundy County and was elected his own successor. In 1875 he was appointed township trustee of Trenton, which he was legislated out of by a change made in the law. Since that time he has been variously employed, becoming book-keeper for N. Shanklin & Brother in 1880. In 1862 Mr. Collier married Miss A. E. Cooper, of Trenton. They have four children: Willie C., Robert E., Leon E., and Mary Ellen.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881;
Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack 

DRINKARD, ABNER
Was born near Glasgow, Howard county, Missouri, February 1, 1826. He came to Grundy County with his parents in 1841 and settled at the forks of Grand River, five miles northwest of Trenton. In 1862 he enlisted in the Confederate army, Captain Hugh's company and Col. Perkins's regiment, and in October of the same year was taken prisoner at Roanoke, Missouri, and kept in prison at St. Louis, and Alton, Illinois, until February, 1865, when he was liberated on parole. He went to Quincy, Illinois, and from there to Roanoke, Missouri, returning to Grundy county in 1872, settled in Trenton and worked at carpentering until 1876, when he was employed in the repair shops of the C., R. I. & P. R. R. company, and remained four years. In 1880 he went to live with his son, William E., assisting him in his grocery store at Trenton. He has been twice married, the first time to Miss Erne Maston in 1842, who died in 1843; and the second time to Miss Caroline E. Clark, in 1847, and by whom he has five children: Mary J., wife of C. Sires, of Grundy county, William E., grocer of Trenton; John W., employee" in C, R. I. & P. R. R. shops; James M., and Fronie, wife of Newton Ratliff, farmer of Grundy county. In 1852 he was elected county assessor holding the position for two years, and in 1858 was elected one of the county judges, holding that position until 1862, when he was legislated out of office.
Source:  The History of Grundy County, Missouri: Birdsall & Dean, publ. 1881;
Submitted to Genealogy Trails and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack   


HURT, JAMES L.
Left an orphan by the death of his father when the son was but thirteen, and by that of his mother half a year earlier, James L. Hurt, of Center, Saguache county, ill prepared as he was for the battle of life, took up his burden courageously and has bravely borne it ever since, making his own way in this struggling world, but using all his opportunities to good purpose and making his every effort tell to his advantage.  He was born on May 26, 1854, near the town of Roanoke, Howard county, Missouri, and is the son of Thomas A. and Miranda (Lee) Hurt, who also were born and reared in Missouri, and remained there until death, that of the mother occurring in September, 1867, and that of the father in February, 1868.  The father was a farmer and dealer in livestock, shipping numbers of cattle, horses and other stock to Eastern markets, and was successful in his business until the outbreak of the Civil war called him to the service of his section, when he joined the Confederate army under Capt. William McCowan.  His military service broke up his business and as the whole South suffered severely in the war, he died too soon after is close to pass the critical period of that part of the country, and retrieve his fortunes.  Four of the children survived their parents, William, John R., James L., and Mrs. W. K. Manis.  The father was an earnest and devoted Democrat in political faith and took an active interest in the affairs of his party, James L was educated in the country district schools and the high school at Roanoke, Missouri, and after the death of his parents he secured employment in farming and raising stock in his native state, where he remained until 1881, when he came to Colorado, proceeding almost immediately to the San Luis valley and locating in Saguache county.  He purchased the interest of W. T. Downing in a mercantile establishment, Mr. Downing being a partner in the business with Samuel Jewell.  Messrs. Hurt and Jewell carried on the enterprise with fair success until 1885, when they sold it and turned their attention to raising sheep and cattle.  This they did together until 1891, and in that year Mr. Hurt bought Mr. Jewell’s interest in the business and has since conducted it extensively alone.  He has been a large and active shipper to various markets and has made a pronounced success of his industry.  By 1885 he had acquired four hundred and eighty acres of land, and in 1898 he bought two additional ranches, those of Bedell and Wilson, comprising two thousand six hundred acres, and by subsequent purchases he has increased his holdings to four thousand acres, all good land and well advanced in cultivation.  He introduced mules into the neighborhood and has since raised them and horses in large numbers, running also large herds of cattle, and making every effort to secure the best grades and output in each.  His favorite breeds of cattle are the Galloway and the Polled Angus, and of horses the Percheron.  In 1897, realizing the need of a town in his vicinity, he located the town site of Center, he then owning the quarter section of the land on which it is plotted, and he now has the finest residence in the town.  When he moved into this valley there was not a house or even a fence stake where Center has since grown to a promising size and importance, and the only house between Crestone and Alamosa was one owned by George Taylor and used as a half-way road house.  Mr. Hurt has greatly improved his original farm, the others being improved when he bought them, and has made it one of the most valuable and attractive of its size in the county.  He has been steadily prosperous in all his undertakings, and is esteemed as one of the best business men in his section.  He is a third degree Mason, with membership in Vulcan lodge, No. 432, at Hooper.  He also belongs to the order of Woodmen of the World.  In politics he was for years a Populist, and as such was twice elected to the legislature, but he is now a stanch Republican.  He is a prominent and influential citizen, well known throughout a wide extent of country and held in the highest regard everywhere.  Having endured many trials and harships in his early life, he knows how to sympathize and judicially aid others in like circumstances, and is ever genial and generous.  On February 26, 1885, he was married to Miss Ida B. Reed, a native of Johnson county, Missouri, reared in Colorado.  Her parents are Thomas D. and Mary E. Reed, natives of Delaware who moved to Missouri and afterward to Colorado, remaining in this state until 1900, then changing their residence to California, where they are now living.  The father farmed and raised stock in Missouri, and in Colorado mined and prospected.  Mr. and Mrs. Hurt have three children, Thomas C., Minnie P. and Lulu B.
(Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Nancy Overlander)


Dr. John J. Miller


 Dr. John J. Miller had passed the seventy-eighth milestone on life's Journey when on the 17th of September, 1920, he was called to his final rest. For many years he had been a well known and successful representative of the medical profession in St. Louis and his hospital work was particularly notable and valuable. He was born at Fayette, Howard county, Missouri, on the 3d of May, 1842, his parents being James and Martha J. (Woodson) Miller, the former a son of James Miller of Martinsburg, Virginia, whose brother, John Miller, was colonel of the Nineteenth United States Infantry in the War of 1812 and became the third governor of the state of Missouri, filling the office for two terms or from 1826 until 1832. The family name is one long associated with the history of this state.
Reared under the parental roof, excellent educational advantages were accorded Dr. Miller, who eagerly improved his opportunities of this character and was graduated with the Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Nashville and the Western Military Institute at Nashville, Tennessee, in June, I860. On completing his course in the latter institution he received a lieutenant's commission from Governor Isham G. Harris of Tennessee. A desire to make the practice of medicine his life work led to his matriculation in the St. Louis Medical College in January, 1862, and he was graduated therefrom with the class of March, 1864. In May of the same year he was appointed assistant army surgeon of the Confederate army and was on duty at the Winder General Hospital and also at the Libby Prison Officers' Hospital at Richmond, Virginia, until the occupation of Richmond by the Federal troops in 1865. While at the Winder Hospital he instituted the practice of turpentine dressings as a remedy for, and preventive of, hospital gangrene.
When the war was over Dr. Miller located for practice in the western suburbs of St. Louis and for many years was one of the most able and successful physicians of that section of the city. He was also physician to the German Protestants' Orphan Asylum, to which position he was called in 1874. In April, 1892, he took up his abode in the city of St. Louis and through all the intervening years until his death remained a most active and valued member of the profession. He kept in touch at all times with the latest scientific researches and discoveries concerning the laws of health and the treatment of disease, and in all of his practice his efforts brought results that indicated a most careful diagnosis and a thorough understanding of the best remedial methods and agencies. He held membership with the St. Louis Medical Society, was a life member of the American Medical Association and belonged also at one time to the Mississippi Valley Medical Society, in which he served on the Judicial council in 1888. He likewise had membership in the Missouri State Medical Association and his writings and contributions to medical literature made him widely known to the profession in various parts of the country.
On the 28th of December, 1865, Dr. Miller was married to Miss Mary E. Burd, the eldest daughter of John W. and Eliza A. Burd, of St. Louis, and they became parents of three children. The only son, Richard Burd Miller, was born in St. Louis county, September 26, 1866, and attended the manual training school of Washington University and also the Bryant & Stratton Business College. When a youth of sixteen he accepted a position as bookkeeper with the Alkire Wholesale Grocer Company, by which he was employed from 1882 until 1886, and through the succeeding eleven years was bookkeeper to president of the Collins Brothers Drug Company. In 1897 he became secretary and is now president of the O. J. Lewis Mercantile Company of St. Louis. He is a Methodist in religious faith, a Mason in fraternal connections and is a member of the Midland Valley Country Club. The elder daughter of the family, Evelyn, born in St. Louis county, July 24, 1872, was educated at Hosmer Hall and on the 11th of June, 1901, became the wife of Frederick Vierling, of St. Louis, by whom she has one son, John Frederick, born in St. Louis, September 7, 1905. The second daughter, Clara Maud, born in St. Louis county, May 28, 1878, is a graduate of the Beethoven Conservatory of Music and Hosmer Hall. On the 29th of January, 1908, she became the wife of Edwin B. Sherzer, of St. Louis. Both Mrs. Vierling and Mrs. Sherzer became charter members of the University Methodist Episcopal church, South.
Dr. Miller was never active in fraternal circles, preferring always to concentrate his interests upon the home, and he was never happier than when with the members of his family at his own fireside. He was a devout Christian, living always as a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church. His father had been one of the founders of the old Eden Chapel, later the Mount Auburn church, and Dr. Miller held membership in the Cabanne Methodist Episcopal church, South, at Bartmer and Goodfellow avenues. He also belonged to Camp No. 731 of the Order of Confederate Veterans and was one of the active spirits in placing the Confederate veterans' monument in Forest Park. His widow and daughters are members of the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the two daughters are also members of the Daughters of the American Revolution through their descent from Captain Obadiah Woodson and Captain John Morton on the paternal side, while the son is a member of the Sons of Veterans. The Miller family has long been socially prominent and their own home has ever been the center of warm-hearted hospitality. Dr. Miller always gave his political allegiance to the democratic party but had no desire for public office. He was most conscientious in the performance of all of his professional duties and to this end he constantly read and studied that he might promote his efficiency and make his life of greater service to his fellowmen. His professional ability, his genial nature and his sterling worth made him a most valued and honored resident of St. Louis, and the news of his demise was received with a sense of deep sorrow on the part of all who were associated with him in any way.
(Source: Centennial History of Missouri, One Hundred Years in the Union, 1820-1921, Vol. V, Published 1921)

MORRISON, FRED W.
Fred W. Morrison, attorney-at-law, of Kingman, is rapidly coming to the front ranks of his profession in Mohave county, where his residence dates back but two years. For twenty two months he was associated with Fleetwood Bell, their partnership having been entered upon in August, 1899, soon after his arrival here. Being an able and ambitious young man, full of energy and determination, he is receiving favorable notice among his professional co-workers.
    A native of Missouri, Mr. Morrison was born in Fayette, Howard county, in 1873. He received the advantages of a liberal education, attending the public schools and Central College of his native place, after which he pursued his higher studies in Christian Brothers College in St. Louis. Before he had reached his majority, and because he was too young to enter any profession, he traveled as salesman for a St. Louis house, and also for some time represented the business interests of Swift Packing Company, of Kansas City, on the road. In 1896 he began the study of law in the office of R. C. Clark, of Fayette, After due preparation, he took the examination and in July, 1898, was admitted to the bar. In May, 1899, he was admitted to practice in the supreme court of Missouri.
    After establishing an office and practicing Law in Fayette for a few months, Mr. Morrison concluded to try his fortunes in Arizona. In the spring of 1899 he settled in Prescott and was connected with the firm of Herndon & Norris until August, 1899, when he came to Kingman. His partnership with Mr. Bell was mutually beneficial, and they were engaged as legal advisers of the Gaddis & Perry Company, also many of the leading business firms of the city and county. They established a branch office at Chloride and built up a large and profitable practice in that locality, where Mr. Morrison owns some mining property. He is an active worker in the Democratic party and is counted upon as an ardent young politician.
    Mr. Bell was graduated from the State University of Missouri at Columbia in 1897, and during the same year was admitted to the bar of his home state, after which he practiced in Columbia until March, 1899. During June of that year he began professional practiced in Arizona. In the fall of 1900 he sold his interest in the law business to Mr. Morrison and moved to Prescott. Since that time the latter gentleman has had in charge the management of the practiced they had built up and at the same time he has increased its volume by the gaining of additional work along professional lines.
(Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Arizona Chapman Publishing 1904. Submitted by Barb Z.)

THOMPSON, HON. W.A.
the present member of the Territorial Legislature from Union county, and one of the distinguished and honored citizens of Folsom, claims Missouri as the State of his nativity. He was born in Fayette, Howard county, on the 4th of June, 1858, and is of Scotch lineage, his lineage, his ancestors having been early settlers of Virginia and Kentucky. His great-grandfather was born in Scotland, crossed the ocean to the Old Dominion, and became the owner of a tract of land which included the Natural Bridge, one of nature's phenomena. Members of the family participated in the war of the Revolution, valiantly aiding the Colonists in their struggle for independence. The grandfather, Hugh Thompson, was born in Virginia, and removed to Kentucky, where his son, John W. Thompson, the father of our subject, was born in the year 1825. The last named was married in the State of his nativity to Miss Mary E. Anderson, a native of Kentucky, and a daughter of Reuben Anderson of that State. They became the parents of eight children, five of whom are yet living. Later in life they removed to Missouri, locating on a farm in Howard county, where the father still resides. His wife died in 1894, at the age of fifty-nine years. During the greater part of his life he has followed stock-raising, and has met with a fair degree of success in his undertakings.

Willard A. Thompson, whose name heads this sketch, was their third child and was educated at Center College in Fayette, Missouri. At the age of twenty years he entered upon his business career as a stock-dealer, and bought and sold stock in Chicago, St. Louis and Kansas City. The year 1886 witnessed his arrival in New Mexico, at which time he took up his residence in Folsom. He carried on a hotel and also engaged in other lines of business, -- in fact has been identified with most of the interests which have promoted the material welfare of the city. He has also erected a store and residence, and Folsom numbers him among her most progressive and enterprising men.

In his political views, Mr. Thompson is a Democrat and has been honored with several offices, the duties of which he has promptly and faithfully performed. He has served as Deputy Sheriff of Union county, and in 1894 was the nominee of his party for the office of Representative in the Territorial Legislature. The returns at first showed a majority of one against him, but because of a fraud in one of the precincts the votes of that district were thrown out and he was given a certificate of election. He is now serving in the House, and is one of its able members, faithfully supporting all measures which are calculated to advance the interests of his constituents.

Mr. Thompson is the agent of the Folsom Town Company, which has a beautiful tract of land of about 1,300 acres and two hotels, one of them costing over $30,000. They have some very valuable property to sell, at very reasonable rates. The town is pleasantly located and is rapidly filling up with a good class of citizens. While in the Legislature Mr. Thompson secured the passage of the scab law, to prevent the spread of the scab among sheep. He was also active in aid of the passage of the brand law, which provides that each stockman's brand shall be registered with the county board and with the county clerk, so that disputes shall not arise concerning the ownership of brands. He is an obliging and capable business man, and no consideration of self-interest has ever swerved him from what he believed to be the path of duty. He has now acquired a comfortable competence, and the confidence and respect of all who know him.
[Source: "An Illustrated History of New Mexico . . .;" The Lewis Publishing Company, 1895; transcribed by GT Transcription Team]