Howard County, Missouri Genealogy Trails

Haggards Family


[Source: Kentucky Ancestors, Vol 10 #3, 1975. Transcribed by Joanne Scobee Morgan]

GENEALOGY OF THE WLLIAM HAGGARDS
Written by the second William, in early 20th Century

Henry Rider Haggard is authority for statement that the Haggard family of Clark County, Kentucky, are descended from Sir Andrew Ogard of Denmark who settled in County Norfolk, England, in the year 1433.
He was naturalized there and knighted by Henry VI.  His name was anglicized into Haggard.  So far as is known, the first Haggard to come to America was James Haggard, educated for the Episcopal ministry.  He came from England about 1698 and landed at Norfolk, Virginia.  He was under 21 years of age when he landed.  His first employment was teaching school.  He afterward married one of his pupils, whose name is not now known.  Several sons were born to them.  In the early part of the 18th century, there were four families of Haggards who claimed to be descendants of this school teacher.  Their names were Nathaniel, Edmond, Zachariah and Gray (or Granville).  Nathaniel was born November 21, 1723, and married Elizabeth Gentry, a lady of English descent, and settled in Albemarle County, Virginia, near Charlottsville.  They were members of the Baptist Church.  They reared a family of seven sons and three daughters.
Henry              born 1745        Baptist preacher
Martin             born 1748        Baptist preacher
Elizabeth         born 1752        married Baptist preacher, Ned Kindred
John                 born 1754        farmer
Mary                born 1757        married Baptist preacher
James               born 1759        Baptist preacher
Jane                 born 1761        married Mr. Gentry
Bartlett                        born 1763        carpenter and farmer) twins
David              born 1763        carpenter and farmer)
Nathaniel         born 1765        farmer

In the year 1788, Nathaniel Haggard, Sr. moved to Clark County, Kentucky, and settled two miles south of Winchester on what is now the Boonesborough Pike.  On June 14, 1788, Nathaniel and Elizabeth Haggard united with the Providence Baptist Church, now the oldest and best known church south of the Mason and Dixon line.  Nathaniel Haggard died August 21, 1806, at the age of 81 years, 9 months and 22 days.  His wife died July 28, 1820, at the age of 88 years, 11 months and 14 days.  They are buried two miles south of Winchester, on the farm now owned by George Haggard.

The youngest son of Nathaniel and Elizabeth Haggard, Nathaniel Haggard, Jr., as we have seen, was born in Albemarle County, Virginia, in 1765, and in 1788 he came with his father’s family to Clark County, Kentucky.  On January 5, 1797, he married Elizabeth Hayes, who was born February 20, 1780.  She was the daughter of William Hayes and Charity, his wife.  Nathaniel and Elizabeth had four sons and three daughters as follows:

Polly Haggard, born December 10, 1797.  She married Spencer Hollaway and moved to Randolph County, Missouri.
Martin Haggard was born August 21, 1799, and married Kitty Tracy.  He was killed by a horse running away with him September 5, 1834.

Nancy Haggard was born February 23, 1802, married William Henson and lived in Henry County, Kentucky.

Eliza Haggard was born September 15, 1804, married Dennis Doyle, a teacher, and lived seven miles south of Winchester.  She died March 16, 1876.  Her husband died December 23, 1877.

William Haggard was born April 12, 1807.

John Haggard was born February 6, 1810, married Sally Haggard and moved to Missouri.  Was killed by Federal soldiers during the Civil War.

David Dillard Haggard was born July 28, 1812 and was married to Temperance Hodgkin February 26, 1835.

Nathaniel Haggard died July 21, 1858.  His wife Elizabeth had died eight years before, November 3, 1850.  They are buried two miles south of Winchester in the same lot where were buried his father and mother.  They were both members of the Providence Baptist Church, were regular attendants upon its service, he never being too busy to go to the Saturday business meeting, she being noted for her kind, gentle disposition which made her beloved of even the slaves of whom she had quite a number.  They lived their profession of faith in God.

William Haggard was the second son of Nathanial Haggard, Jr.  He was reared on his father’s farm in Clark County, Kentucky.  He united with the Baptist Church and was a young man of exemplary habits and strong religious character.  About the year 1834, he married the widow of Daniel Routte, ne Earle.  Her mother was a Barbara Hodgkin, a sister of Samuel Hodgkin of Clark County.  Barbara Hodgkin married a man named Earle, the captain of a sailing ship.  He and his ship were lost at sea.  His wife died soon after, leaving an only daughter, Eleanor, in Virginia.  Samuel Hodgkin, her uncle, went to Virginia and brought her to Kentucky and gave her a home at his house.  She developed into a lady of most estimable character, having such a loving and loveable disposition that people were instinctively drawn towards her.  In the course of time she united with the Baptist church and married Dariel Routte.  As a result of this union were born four children, Martha Ann, Rebekah Jane, Benjamin and James. 

Martha Ann married William Bruce, reared several children and, being left a widow, married William Rippey.  She lived and died in Clark County, Kentucky.

Rebekah married Greenberry Wills and lived many years in Tennessee, but returned to Kentucky, where she died.  Benjamin Routte died a comparatively young man. 

James Routte came to Missouri in his youth, married and raised a family.

After Eleanor’s marriage to William Haggard there were born to them three children:
Margaret Elizabeth      born January 11, 1836
Millie Frances              born February 29, 1838
William Sandford       born March 28, 1842

The wife of William Haggard died in February, 1844.  In the spring (March) 1845, William Haggard married Mrs. Philadelphia Burrows, nee Perkins, and in October 1851, he moved with his family to Boone County, Missouri, and settled about a mile Southeast of where Harrisburg now stands.  He moved into the house with Mrs. Gary, a sister of Mrs. Haggard, his wife.  In the spring or early summer of 1852, his second wife died and was buried at Bethlehem Church.  On the 14th day of April, 1853, he moved to a farm of 80 acres, one mile southeast of the present site of Sturgeon.  On this farm, with the help of some neighbors and friends of the Bethlehem neighborhood, viz., Henry Haggard and John Milton Long, he built a small house of one room about 18 ft. square.  The rafters and studding consisted of white oak poles cut from the woods 12 miles distant, near Butler.  The house was covered with two foot boards made with his own hands.  Some of the siding consisted of four foot boards, made in the same way and shaved with a drawing knife.  To show the wild state of this part of the country is it only necessary to state that the prairie grass was so high and there were so few landmarks that when he returned with the second load of lumber, it was difficult to find the place where he had deposited the first load.  Deer and rattlesnakes were plentiful.  At that time there was no Railroad near; neither was there any Sturgeon.  He rented land the first year on which to raise a crop and in the fall began, with the aid of his son, then 11 years old, the arduous task of fencing and putting this farm into cultivation.  Wire fencing being unknown, the process was painfully slow especially till the first five acres were fenced.  The rails were made by himself some five miles distant and hauled with oxen, all the horses, four or five that he brought from Kentucky, having died.  Being unable to make two loads per day, they would haul one load half way home, throw it off, go back get another load and take it home.  This they did for three days and on the fourth day, hauled home the three loads that had been thrown off, thus making six loads in four days.  This process was continued until enough land was fenced and broken to preclude the necessity of renting.  In 1854 he was married to Mrs. Martha Taylor, nee Hawkins, who died in 1884.  He continued to live on the same farm till the time of his death, May 22, 1888.  He was buried at Bethlehem Church, Boone County, by the side of his second wife.

Margaret Elizabeth Haggard, oldest daughter of William Haggard, married John Wesley Shaw, a shoemaker, March 22, 1853.  To them were born twelve children, five sons and seven daughters. John Shaw died June 21, 1896.  His widow lives now in Howard County, Missouri.  P. O. Higbee, Missouri.

Millie Frances Haggard married Willis H. Angell March 134, 1856 and died March 23, 1903.  Willis H. Angell died July 7, 1907.  They had three children, Margaret Elizabeth, Amanda Florence, and William Sanford, all of them unmarried.  The last two taught school for many years.  Their address has always been Sturgeon, Missouri.

William Sanford Haggard, the only son of William Haggard, came from Kentucky with his father in 1851 being at that time, nine years old.  He remained with his father till February, 1856, when he went to visit his oldest sister, some twenty miles distant, near Bethlehem Church.  His intention was to remain but a few days, but he was detained much beyond that time by storms and inclement weather.  In the meantime, he had learned of the marriage of his youngest sister, and dreading the loneliness of home life without her, he resolved not to return home.  So at the age of fourteen, with nothing, he set out to fight the battle of life practically alone.  Up to this time he had enjoyed the advantages, such as they were, of the Public school.  Failing to appreciate these advantages, and having but little desire for an education, his attainments along this line were very limited.  It might be well to add that a taste for reading was almost entirely lacking, but that taste was awakened and greatly stimulated by Mrs. Shaw, the mother of his brother-in-law, who placed n his way, interesting books from the American Baptist Publication Society, and encouraged him to read them.  Being thrown upon his own resources and having to supply his own clothing and books and to pay his own tuition, he began to awake to the importance of fitting himself for future usefulness.  By engaging as a farm hand in summer and going to school in winter, he was able, at the age of eighteen, to teach in summer and go to school in winter, making his home most of the time with his brother-in-law, John W. Shaw.  He attended the Sturgeon High School two winters, making his home in the meanwhile, with his brother-in-law, Willis H. Angell.  He taught his first school in a new school house on the farm of Thomas Rowland, 1 ½ miles east of Bethlehem Church in Boone County.  This was followed by another at the same place.  A third school was taught at Mt. Horeb School house one mile south of Sturgeon.  This term closed in the fall of 1860.  The winter was spent in Sturgeon High School.  The next spring, when actual hostilities began between the North and South, he espoused the cause of the South and responded to the first call for volunteers made by Claiborn Jackson, Governor of Missouri, and went to Jefferson City in the spring of 1861 in a company raised in Boone County.  The captain of this company was Harvey McKinney.  These troops remained in Jefferson City about two weeks and were sent home with instructions to hold themselves in readiness to reassemble upon call by the Governor.  This call came about the 10th of June, 1861, when they were notified to reassemble at Booneville.  After reassembling, the subject of this sketch, with nineteen others, was selected and sent under Lieutenant Mat. Frost to go some twenty miles south of Booneville to secure some arms and ammunition that were supposed to be stored at that point.  Next morning, the booming of cannon was heard and they made haste to return to the city, but, before they could reach it, the battle had been fought and lost.  Amid the confusion, he and his associates failed to find the remainder of their company and Lieut. Frost led them back to Boone County, where they separated, each man to take care of himself.  After several unsuccessful attempts to reach the army under General Price, which had gone to the southern part of the state, Mr. Haggard resolved to go to Kentucky.  In the spring of 1862 he boarded a steamer loaded with federal soldiers at Rocheport and went to St. Louis and thence by rail, to Winchester, Kentucky.  He went to the home of his uncle, David Haggard.  During the summer he had a long severe attack of typhoid fever.  During this illness, he was at the home of James Rutledge Sr., whose wife was a distant relative, who had greatly befriended Mr. Haggard’s mother during her orphan-hood.  Having recovered from this illness and General Bragg having come into Kentucky, he and several young men from the vicinity of Winchester went to Lexington and engaged themselves as teamsters under Shepherd Haggard as wagon master and started south in General Bragg’s famous train of four thousand wagons.  Before they got through Madison County, Kentucky, however, they tired of this branch of the service and joined John H. Morgan’s Cavalry under Capt. Gordon Mullens, whose company, composed chiefly of Clark County men joined the 11th Kentucky cavalry under Colonel Chenault and was known as Company “A”.  He went to Tennessee through Cumberland Gap and was with General Morgan in northern Tennessee and southern Kentucky, participating in most of the battles in which Morgan’s forces were engaged, the chief ones being Hartsville, Greasy Creek and the disastrous battle at Green River Bridge.  On July 2, 1863, they started on that great raid through Kentucky to the Ohio River, crossed that river at Brandenburg into Indiana, passed through that state into Ohio marching and fighting for 17 days and nights, stopping only one night.  During that time, they reached the Ohio River near Buffington Island, on July 19.  Here, with a swollen river in front and opposed by an overwhelming force of the enemy, most of the command was captured and carried to Camp Morton at Indianapolis, where they remained one month.  They were then removed to camp Douglas, Chicago.  Exchange of prisoners being suspended soon after this, there was no way of release except to take the oath of allegiance to the United States.  This, Mr. Haggard refused to do, and was held a prisoner for nineteen and a half months, or till the latter part of February, 1865, when, with many others, he was paroled and sent to Richmond, Virginia via Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Fortress Monroe.  From Richmond he went to parole camp at Abbingdon.  When General Lee surrendered, he was at Amherst, just a few miles north of Lynchburg.  Remaining in these parts till he was sure the war was over, he with four companions, Dr. Wash Taylor, Jeff C. King, Ellis G. Baxter and Louis Woosley, tramped across the mountains to Charleston, West Virginia.  From this point, the Government gave them transportation to Gallipolis, Ohio, whence, by the aid of friends they had met in Charleston, they secured deck passage on a steamer to Maysville, Kentucky.  From here they continued their journey to Winchester, Kentucky, arriving there May 5, 1865.  After remaining in this vicinity till the beginning of August, he continued his journey, arriving at his home in Missouri, August 5, 1865.

Being greatly discouraged at the way in which the war had terminated, he felt no inclination to pursue his literary studies; so in 1866 he engaged in farming and made preparation to continue in the same occupation.  During the winter of 1866-67, however, at the solicitation of friends and neighbors, he taught a private school in one room at the residence of S. C. Shaw, with whom he expected to farm the coming year.  When this school closed, his mind had undergone a complete change, and ten days later, he was going to school to Thomas Diggs in Howard County, not far from Fayette.  After one month, James Jasper Search, a former tutor in the State University of Missouri, began a school at Everett in Boone County so Mr. Haggard returned home and went to school to him two short terms and when Mr. Search went to teach at Sturgeon, he followed him and went two further terms, staying with his father.  Before going, however, he taught the Everett school that Professor Searcy had given up on account of his wife’s health, and in the fall of 1869, he taught again at the same place.  In January, 1870, he started to school at William Jewel College at Liberty, Clay County, Missouri, where he graduated in June 1872.  The last year he was there, he was tutor in mathematics.  In the fall of 1872, he was employed to teach the High School at Kearney, Missouri.  On the 13th day of the following March, he was married to Miss Nannie Patience Bradley, a daughter of James Bradley of Boone County, Missouri, to whom he had been engaged for five years.  She was an estimable Christian lady and proved to be a helpmate indeed and whatever of success followed in after life he attributed to her benign, helpful and loving influence.  On January 16, 1874, their first son, William Earle, was born.  He remained in the school of Kearny for three years.  On the 30th of April, 1875, the grasshoppers having devastated that section of the state, he moved to Sturgeon, Missouri, where he took the principalship of Sturgeon High School, which place he occupied for three years with an intermission of one year between the second and third years.  That year he taught in the Dinwiddie district.  On January 10, 1876, their second child, Ruth Groom, was born, and on the 20th day of December, 1877, their second son, Homer Huston, was born.  In the spring of 1879, he moved back to Kearney, Clay County, and went into the lumber and furniture business with A. L. Huston.  That fall he taught a school in the vicinity of Kearney and on November 12th, 1879, was born their third son, Frank Bradley Haggard.  In the fall 1880 he took charge of the Kearney schools again as principal, which place he held for three years.  His wife’s health having failed, he decided to seek a more healthy locality.  During the Christmas holidays of 1882, leaving his family in Kearney, he went to Vernon County, Missouri, and selecting Harwood, a town just springing up, as his future home, he remained to build a house and then returned for his family.  Having dissolved the partnership with A. L. Huston, he, on February 28, 1882, took his family to Harwood.  He was not disappointed in the locality, for his wife, who had spent most of the previous two years in bed was, in the space of a few months, able to do her housework.  Here, he went into business, general merchandise, with John W. Tapp for one year.  The remaining two years of his sojourn in Harwood were spent in farming and teaching.  On July 20, 1884, was born their fourth son, Howard Yates.

Since Mr. Haggard’s father was left alone by the death of his third wife, and in March, 1886, he moved back to Boone County, Missouri, so that he might take care of his father.  Having previously bought out the interests of the other heirs, he moved into the old homestead which he occupied till the death of his father, May 22, 1888, spending the time in farming and teaching in the vicinity.  On October 8, 1886, was born their second daughter, Grace Gertrude.  On December 25, 1888 was born their fifth son, Henry Sandford, who died July 25, 1889, aged seven months, and was buried in the Mt. Horeb burying ground one and one half miles south of Sturgeon.

Having sold his farm near Sturgeon, he moved on August 25, 1890, to Mexico, Missouri, in order that he might have the advantages of the public schools of that place to educate his children. On February 26, 1891, he moved to a farm he had bought two and one half miles south of Mexico.  The year 1892 was spent in Mexico, he having rented his farm out for that year.  On August 25, 1892, was born their third daughter, Clara Patience Haggard.  In 1893, he sold this farm and moved back to Mexico, October 12th.  On March 7, 1895, he started with his family on an overland trip in two wagons to Texas County, Missouri, arriving there March 18th.  Here he rented a farm near Raymondville, from Ben Castleman.  He and all the family were dissatisfied with this rocky mountainous country and he therefore returned to his property, which he still owned, in Mexico, Missouri.  He left Texas County in October and arrived in Mexico, November 10, 1895.

The next year, after returning to Mexico, the children re-entered the Mexico schools and Mr. Haggard taught school in the Washington District in the fall and winter of 1896-97, and another term at the same place in the spring of 1897.

The following years were uneventful till 1903, when he was employed as assistant teacher of Physics at Hardin College, Mexico, Missouri.  The following year he became Librarian at Hardin College.

Note: 1955 added by Homer Houston Haggard.
William Sandford Haggard, author of this paper, died in 18921 and his wife died in 1924.  They are buried in the Mexico Cemetery at Mexico, Missouri, in the same lot with their eldest son, William Earle, who died in 1952.
 


BACK
Howard County, Missouri Genealogy Trails
Genealogy Trails History Group is a Volunteer Organization Dedicated to providing FREE access to Historical and Genealogical Data.
2006 - 2007 byGenealogy Trails -  All Rights Reserved - With full rights reserved for original submitters.