County is situated in the southeastern portion of the State, one hundred miles south
of St. Louis, on the St. Louis, Iron Mountain and Southern Rail way — bounded
north by St. Francois County, east by Perry and Bollinger, south by Bollinger
and Wayne and west by Iron County, and contains 295,550 acres.
whom: 5,688 were white and 189 colored
3,015 male and 2,384 female
5,471 native (3,869 born in Missouri), and 378 foreigners
1876, 8,518, of whom 8,264 were white and 264 colored.
the census of 1876:
hogs were enumerated.
population of the county at the present time is from 10,000 to 12,000 people.
The manufacturing interests are embraced in a few
smelting furnaces, ten flour and grist mills, four saw mills, two planing
mills, the Co -Operative Manufacturing Company, a plow factory, and a pottery;
besides a great many artisans and skilled workmen in every branch of Industry.
valuation of the county, per census of 1870, was $8,210,000. Whilst some of the
people are in debt, there are quite a number of solid men who are above the
waves, and have large amounts invested .In United Statesbonds. The county
debt Is only $8,000.
people have acted wisely in not voting appropriations to corporations. The
merchants are all doing business on their own capital. Nothing of the mushroom
style of doing business is attached to them. So the immigrant who seeks a home,
need not fear to invest his means in Madison
county is penetrated by the St. Louis,
Iron Mountain & Southern Railway, which passes through the northeastern
portion of the county for a distance of twenty-three miles. The company have a
depot, round house and machine shops at Fredericktown.
great deal of yellow pine plank, stave-bolts and railroad ties have been shipped
from Marquand, Cornwall
educational interest of this county are in a prosperous condition. There are
forty-five sub-districts, and 2,875
children over six and under twenty years of age, who attend school four months
there are a great many being educated at universities outside the county.
the St. Louis, Iron Mountain and Southern
Railway, is fourteen miles southeast of Fredericktown; has three stores, one
merchant mill, one hotel and one church (Presbyterian); also, one Missionary
Baptist Church elope to its limits; population, 150.
station on the same railroad, seven miles southeast of Fredericktown, contains
one store and woodyard, and used to be a shipping point for iron.
miles north of Fredericktown and two and a half miles .from the railroad
station bearing its name, is a beautiful place to live. It has one drug store,
a tin shop, a restaurant, saddler shop, two meat market, a hotel, two shoe
shops, a number of private boarding houses, one smithy, two churches (Catholic
and Presbyterian), two school houses, and a large general store. There are also
two stores one mile south of Mine La Motte. The company is punctual in paying
its employees. There is also a machine shop and a watchmaker shop
there. The population is about 500, and the people are very industrious.
Fredericktown, the county seat, and one of the most
thrifty towns in Missouri, is one hundred and
five miles from St. Louis and ninety-one miles
and was settled in 1821.
six churches: one Christian, one Catholic, two Methodist (one colored), and
two Baptist (one colored), and about 8,000 inhabitants.
The greater portion of the old settlers, some of
whom are still living, were Catholics. There is one large public school building,
well supplied with modern desks and apparatus, costing $8,000.
There is one weekly newspaper, established eight
years, Democratic in politics.
To describe all the elegant buildings in
Fredericktown would be unnecessary. Suffice it to say, that no inland town with
the same number of inhabitants, can boast of more durable and elegant buildings
and suburban cottages; besides, the town is well watered, wells, cisterns and
living springs abound, and Saline Creek runs through the center of the town,
affording water in great abundance for all purposes.
There, perhaps, is not a more healthful place in Southern Missouri. It is destined, so the inhabitants
think, to be one of those summer resorts for health-seekers and gentlemen of
leisure, who know how to enjoy life.
and Religious Denominations
first Catholic Church in this county was established in Fredericktown, by
Father Celeni, in 1827. Its members
number about 400.
Christian Church was organized in Madison
County in 1812.
are three congregations in this county: one in Fredericktown; Antioch Church„
situated one and three-quarter miles east of Fredericktown, has a membership
of 300, and Green Chapel, situated on the St. Francois River, twenty miles
south of Fredericktown, has a membership of fifty.
are nine Missionary Baptist Churches, with a membership of 580, and seven
ordained ministers. There are several old Baptist churches in the county.
Methodist Church (South) numbers 260 members; the old Episcopal Church (North) fifty. Besides, there is an organization of
is one Lutheran Church in this county, with about 260
various orders of Masonry, Odd Fellowship, Knights of Honor, A.O U. W., Good Templars, etc., are strongly represented.
climate is mild and healthful; the nights are cool and invigorating. Some of
the landscape scenery is grand beyond description.
people are of the mediocrity; no aristocracy. Every man is rated according to
his real merit; and a more kind, whole-souled, generous people, as a body, can
nowhere be found. They hail from all the States in the Union, from France, Germany,
England, Ireland, Scotland, and other countries.
Taken together with the first settlers, they form a homogeneous society,
destined, at no distant period, to develop the vast and varied resources, and
cause this country to bloom as the rose.
Book of Missouri
Missouri Immigration Scoiety of St. Louis, Missouri