A mountain in the west part
of Liberty Township, which was named for a pioneer family who owned a large
tract of land here. (King, La Plant), (Watts)
A mountain in the western
part of Polk Township on which Blue Mountain Lookout Tower was built.
It was named for a pioneer
The spelling has been
changed, probably by the people of the community who spelled the word to
correspond to the sound, and by the map makers, so that the original word has
almost been forgotten. (Goodspeed, Berry, Andrews)
Blue Mountain Lookout Tower
A mountain in the eastern
part of St. Francois Township, named for the deer found there by pioneer
hunters. (Waggoner, Ferguson)
A large mountain in the
central part of Polk Township, named for Aylette Buckner. Cf. above.
(Goodspeed, Andrews, County Map)
A Mountain in the western part of Polk Township, having an evelation of our hundred and ninety two feet.
Goodspeed spells the word Deguerre, but this is a mistake, for the mountain is name for Paul Deguire (1792-1875), who came to Madison County in 1800 from France.
Paul De Guire with three other families hewed the road throughthe wilderness to Madison County.
Thiers was the first wheeled vehicle to come over the trail.
De Guire engaged in lead mining and also was an extensive farmer.
The family's name was origanlly pronounced ____ and was spelled De Guire, but today it is Americanized to ______ and written Deguire. (Doublass I 6690671, Deguire)
See Matthew's Mountain
A mountain in Liberty
Township where iron ore was formerly mined.
About 1870 it was referred to
as "The Matthews Mountain Iron Bank" and was named for the landowner.
(Campbell, Gipson, Schulte)
Rock Pile Mountain
A large hill or mountain in
the center part of Central Township. At the top of the mountain is a large flat
rock and on this are piled large rocks in a pattern. It is quite an extensive
formation, covering about four acres and is believed to have been used by the
Indians as a signal mountain. (Ferguson, Brewington, Berry)
A large mountain in the
southern part of Polk Township, which is named from the silver deposits found
and mined there in 1893 at what is known as Silvermine (q.v.). (Ferguson,
A high mountain in the
northern part of Central Township, named for the Smith family, prominent
Source: The State Historical Society of Missouri
Hamlett, Mayme L. "Place Names Of Six Southeast Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis.,
University of Missouri-Columbia, 1938.