Village of Stella History
|Stella was once known as Village of Springs, so named because of
Indian Creek originated from Stella from a group of natural
clear-water springs. The town is located in Newton County with part of the original
homestead of Henry Taylor, the first known settler of the community
reaching into McDonald County to the south to what is now Owsley
Cemetery and Union Church. The original homestead encompassed 8,000 acres. Moses Eagle, who purchased Taylor's homestead, named the post
office, established about 1900, after his granddaughter, Stella
Eagle. Stella, also known as a community of doctors, was the home of
Cardwell Memorial Hospital. The hospital was opened about 1920 by the late Dr. C.C. Cardwell. It remained open until the 1980s serving much of eastern McDonald
County's medical needs. According to some reports, more than 30 young men who hailed from
Stella became physicians. Today the town has a small retail base and is home to Triway
Elementary School, where some McDonald County Youth attend classes. The community is very active and has a saddle club, historical
society and a senior center.
(Source: McDonald County Directory, 2001, page 66.
Submitted by Linda R.)
Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.