|Mercer County, Missouri
Genealogy and History
Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy
James P. Anderson
Was born May 8, 1835, in De Witt County, Ill. In 1853 he immigrated with his parents to Red Rock, Iowa, where with his father he engaged in the merantile business, two years later going to Harrison County, Mo., where he again entered the mercantile business, in Eagleville. In 1858 he built the Eagleville House, which he ran for seven years; then, in 1866, founded the Eagleville Nurseries, which he successfully carried on for eleven years. Buying the Princeton Mills he moved to Mercer County, in 1884, and built the Princeton Woolen Mills, which he still successfully runs. In 1887 he took out the old buhrs from the flouring mill, and replaced them with the most modern system of rolls. Mr. Anderson devotes his entire attention at this time to the management of the factory and mills. Politically he is a Democrat, although during the war voted with the Republicans, never wavering in his devotion to the Union. He was captain of Company L, Fifty-seventh East Missouri Militia, and while in this service, in 1863, lost his right arm by accident. He was nominated by the Democratic party in 1886 for representative of Mercer County, but owing to the overwhelming Republican majority ties in this county was defeated. [Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Missouri, Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1888; Melody Beery]
Joseph P. Bailey
Hon. Joseph P. Bailey was born in Logan County, Va., February 8, 1834, and is the son of James and Delilah (Goare) Bailey, both of Virginia. Joseph P. was reared to manhood in his native state, and lived with his parents upon the farm until sixteen years of age. In 1858 he immigrated to Missouri, and settled in Goshen Prairie, in Mercer Count. He removed to Harrison County in 1862, and engaged in mercantile pursuits at Cainsville. In the fall of 1876 he removed to Princeton, and continued engaged in mercantile life until last year, since which time he has devoted his time and attention to his farming interests, in connection with which he is largely interested in grain and stock dealing. He owns 500 acres of well improved and cultivated land, and is considered one of the substantial and terprixing citizens of the county. In 1857 he married Sallie S. Dowd, a native of Grenbrier County, Va., by whom there are five living children- Edward B., Dharles S., Lillian B. (wife of C.W. Fairley, of Colorado Springs), and Rose V. Mr. Bailey is a Democrat, and in 1882 was elected to represent Mercer County in the State Legislature, serving with honor and distinction in the Thirty-second General Assembly, and being chosen a member of several important committees in that body. While in Harrison County he was a member of the county court, and in his native county in Virginia served as county surveyor. He is a Master Mason, and a well known and respected citizen. [Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Missouri, Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1888; Sub. by Melody Beery]
Joseph H. Burrows
Joseph H. Burrows was born in Manchester, England, May 15, 1840. In 1842 his father and mother together with his uncle James Burrows, with an infant son, James Burrows, immigrated to the United States and landed at New Orleans. His mother died enroute and was buried at sea in the Gulf of Mexico. James Burrows, now of Kansas City, Mo. is the only survivor of the two families that came to this country at that time. In 1851, Mr. Burrows' father died, after which he lived with his aunt, Katherine Pressly of Quincy, Ill. and his uncle, James Burrows, of Keokuk, Iowa. During his youth he attended the public school in Keokuk, Iowa, worked in his uncle's brickyard and clerked in various kinds of mercantile establishments until he arrived at the age of manhood, when he came to Centerville, Iowa, where he lived a short time and then to St. Johns, Putnam County, Mo., at which place he was in the mercantile business. While at St. Johns, he did considerable itinerary merchandising, loading up a wagon with harness, saddles, groceries and other staples, and would drive through the country selling same to farmers, taking in exchange thereof bacon, lard, bees-wax, honey, sorghum molasses and other articles, readily exchangeable for the cash when he would get them to a railroad center. I have often heard him relate of a circumstance of his visiting Mr. (Little) Hubbard, south of Bethany, at which time he sold Mr. Hubbard a set of harness and a riding saddle and took in exchange for same a lot of hams and bacon at 1 1/2 cents per pound. It was on one of these trips that he visited the little village of Cainsville, at that time consisting of a grist mill, blacksmith shop, and one or two small stores and a few dwellings. he concluded that this locality would be a good place to locate and build a home.
On the 16th day of November, 1862, he and Miss Mary A. Shaw, daughter of Elonzo and Lucrecia Shaw, were united in marriage and on the next day they began their journey to Cainsville, Harrison County, Missouri, to make their new home. We do not know whether Mr. Burrows had a vision for his own future of the locality in which he located, but it is true that during the fifty-six years that he lived in that community, Mr. Burrows became a man of wide and great personal influence and the little village which he has always loved, has grown to be a community of more progressive, intelligent, moral and of strong religious tendencies...all of which, to a great measure, has been the result of the leadership of the man about whom we are writing.
Mr Burrows school days were not attended with the privilege of what we now call higher education, but we learned from a man who was his schoolmate that he learned his lessons well, that he was an apt scholar and no doubt laid the foundation for the accumulation of that great fund of knowledge which he acquired in and after life that so well fitted him for the duties he performed among his fellow men. No one can step into his private library and there look through the volumes of history, of literature, both poetic and prose, without being impressed with the fact that Mr. Burrows had become familiar with that broad depth of learning which makes a man ready and useful at a moment's warning. His scrap-books, which constitute more than one volume, shows his breadth of reading of the current literature of the day as they appeared in public press. If these volumes are preserved, some day the historian will seek their pages for information to write the history of Mercer and Harrison Counties. He made a profession of religion and joined the Baptist church in the year 1867, and immediately began preaching and until about a year ago he was one of the most active as well as one of the most prominent Baptist ministers in North Missouri, having rounded out a complete half century in the work of preaching the Gospel. During the last year his health permitted him to preach only occasionally. he was pastor of the Cainsville Baptist church thirty years and he also preached many years at the following named churches: Princeton, Eagleville, Blythedale, Pleasant Valley, Mount Pleasant No. 2, Pilot Grove, Jameson, Jamesport, Freedom Concord, River View, Zion and Mount Moriah. He lead in the building of several church houses, contributed to many church building funds, organized meetings in Mercer, Harrison and Daviess counties.
He served the West Fork Baptist Association as clerk for twenty-five years, and was made moderator for twelve. He was a young preacher at the time such men as the Rev. William McCammon, Rev. John Hardin, the Rev. William Baldwin, the Rev. John Woodward and the Rev. Paul McCollum were the leading and influential Baptist ministers of this section of the country. The Rev. McCammon invited Mr. Burrows to visit the old Coon Creek Church near Edinburgh, Grundy county, Missouri, on a special occasion to preach for him. this was forty-five years ago. The meeting was held out under the great oak trees near the church, the crowd was an immense gathering from all the community and no doubt Mr. Burrows, then a young preacher, was inspired by the great sympathy that came from the great congregation. After the service Old Father McCammon came with his out-stretched palsied hand, placed it upon Mr. Burrows' shoulder and said, "you have fed us great food today". I have heard Mr.. Burrows say that he had always remembered the remarks as one of the greatest compliments ever paid him and especially so when coming from the lips of the great man of God, " Old Father McCammon." It is possibly true that the early ministry of Mr. Burrows was largely influenced by the Rev. John Woodward of Cainsville, Missouri who was for a century the leading pioneer preacher of Harrison county. The Rev. John Woodward was a man of commanding influence, strong personally, full of magnetism and a born ruler. Mr. Burrows had often said that the counties of Harrison, Mercer and Daviess owned him much. I only speak of this because I know that if Mr.. Burrows were writing his own history he would give Uncle John Woodward due credit for his first inspiration to preach the Gospel.
Mr. Burrows bought the farm, upon which he lived at his death, in 1865. It is located just across the line in Mercer county, from the town of Cainsville, but up till 1904, Mr. Burrows was connected in some way in the mercantile business and president of the Cainsville Bank at the time of his death. So while his home and farm life was in Mercer county, much of his business and public life was in Harrison county, and while Mercer county claims him as a citizen, Harrison county claims his business activities. Once when he was a candidate for the legislature in Mercer county his opponent used as an argument against his election that, "Mr. Burrows was not really a citizen in Mercer county, he only slept in the county." But Mr. Burrows was elected and served Mercer county three times in the Missouri General Assembly, being elected in the years 1872, 1874 and 1878. His fund of knowledge of public affairs, his strong convictions of what he believed to be right or wrong and his ability as a public speaker very naturally lead him into the field of politics. In 1880 he was nominated by the Greenback party as their candidate in the Old Tenth Congressional District. At that time the Hon. Chauncey L. Filley of St. Louis, Mo. was the leader of the Republican party in Missouri and largely through his influence the Republicans endorsed Mr.. Burrows and left the field open between he and the Democratic candidate, Hon. Charles Manser of Chillicothe, Mo. Mr. Burrows won the election and served one term in the lower house of Congress during the administration of President Arthur. While Congressman he held a competitive examination at Trenton, Mo. the purpose of which was to select a young man for the appointment of cadet, to attend the National Military school at West Point. It was an ordinary event and nothing about it to portend that it was history making day. But on that occasion there appeared a young man by the name of John J. Pershing, who won the appointment. Mr. Burrows followed the life and work of this young man and , as Pershing rose step by step, Mr. Burrows' interest increased and there was nothing in his latter life that gave him so much pleasure among all his public acts than the fact that he was responsible for the creation of General John J. Pershing, now commander-in-chief of the American forces in France. It was a great pleasure to Mr.. Burrows to speak of General Perishing as a great clean man, whose efforts have been to make the army under his command a body of clean, sober men. After General Pershing had gone to France, he was invited to participate at the grave of Lafayette and when called upon to make a speech in honor of the man who helped to make the United States free, he stepped forward and simply said, "LAFAYETTE, WE ARE HERE." That short speech rang back through the century of 1776. Why should Mr. Burrows not be proud? Why should not all his friends be proud because of the fact that this great man, now in France making history for the world, was the product of our fellow citizen, whom we have all loved and honored?
Mr. Burrows loved his home town and community. I mean to say that he loved the people. In this community he reared his family, built up his home, mingled his fortune with those of his neighbors, participated in all the commercial undertakings of the community and was, in fact, the leader in every public enterprise that was attempted for the upbuilding of the town of Cainsville. In the bringing of the railroad, the establishment of factories, and the development of the coal mine. Mr. Burrows' voice was always heard and his influence felt and his money freely expended.
Mr. Burrows was always a most ardent advocate for the cause of temperance. No sooner had he located at Cainsville, than he raised his voice against the liquor traffic. he immediately began organizing Good Templar lodges and in the organization of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union, he and his wife were the pioneers and were always steadfast. he delivered many temperance lectures and appeared on the public rostrum in defense of prohibition. He watched the progress of the states in their adoption of the constitutional amendment recently adopted by Congress and as state after state adopted the amendment, his joy would increase. What a pity it was that he could not have lived to have seen the United States swept clean of the liquor traffic.
On November 16, 1912, he and his devoted wife celebrated their golden wedding. This was one of the pleasure events of his life. Their beautiful home on Oak Lawn Farm had its doors wide open for all who might come to cheer them and congratulate them on their half century of weeded and useful life. For this occasion Mr. Burrows wrote a short poem which I am going to repeat here, because it shows how he loved Cainsville, how he loved his children, how he loved God, and how he loved his friends:
The senses of my childhood are precious to me, For the prairies of Iowa roll on like the sea, But Missouri's greatness, are great as can be, And the counties of Mercer and Harrison suit me. Way back in the sixties, we first came to see, And found Grand River flowing right toward the sea. The hills and the valleys they looked good to me, And the God of all nature made me love thee. In November, sixty-two, here we brought our bride, To live with you, our friends, while time should abide, Through weal and through woe we have trod life's ebbing tide_ Fifty years have made you precious and drawn you to our side. Tis hear God gave us children-our pride and our joy- Four daughters cheer us daily and one loving boy, While eighteen grandchildren, meet us with a smile, And two great grandchildren tell us life is worthwhile. Tis here we found the Savior, the best of life's all, He has kept us and sustained us, for He knew that we might fall, And we know we love Him dearly, for indeed He is our way, So we will battle on and serve Him with the remnant of our day. Now friends, we bid you welcome, with a glad and joyous heart, Tis a day we must remember for such joys, they should not part- But in that eternal morning, comes the joys that never die- Tis there we hope to meet you, in that sweet bye and bye.
The last and hardest fought battle of Mr. Burrows' life was to surrender his place among his fellow men. It might have been in hearts of some to criticize Mr. Burrows and accuse him of being jealous of his own works, but I can assure the reader from my own personal knowledge that it was Mr. Burrows' desire to work himself, that made the struggle so hard and long to give his place in life to others. But Mr. Burrows is now dead, his life is a matter of history, his foot prints are many and he has made the road plain and clear wherein we who follow may walk with unerring step. On Sunday morning, April 28, 1918, as the clock struck one, his spirit passed from his mortal body into that eternal world, about which he had preached with stirring eloquence for so many, many years. Early Tuesday morning his body was taken to the church, there to lie in state until the hour of the funeral, during which time hundreds of people in Cainsville and community took the last view of the body. The funeral sermon was preached by Rev. M.P. Hunt of Louisville, Ky., assisted by Rev. Lee Wood, pastor, and Rev. Godsall of the Bethany Baptist Church. After the sermon the Knight Templars from Bethany took charge of the body and with their beautiful ceremony laid the precious body away in beautiful Oak Lawn cemetery. The beautiful home on Oak Lawn farm will never hear his voice again and as his children and grandchildren gather back to this most hospitable home, the voice and gently hand of father and grandfather will not be there to soothe and comfort, nor to cheer or bless. But his devoted wife, the mother and grandmother, is left to scatter the flowers that so bountifully grew round and about his home of a half century. His wife, Mary A. Burrows, and his children, Mrs. Gary(transcribers note: this should be Gara) M. Davisson, Mrs. Maggie Rogers, Mrs. Minnie Oden and Mr. W.J. burrows and Mrs.. Bertha Lewis and his grandchildren and great grandchildren are left to perpetuate the good name and great work that this great citizen, this devoted husband, this loving father left to posterity. S.P. Davisson. (source: Bethany (Mo.) Clipper, May 9, 1918, article written by Mr. Burrows son-in law, S.P. Davisson , submitted by: Lucy Church (direct descendent of J.H. Burrows), transcribed by: Melody Beery)
Allen G. McClelland
Son of J.C. and Elizabeth (Fox) McClelland, was born July 12, 1860 in Mercer County Missouri. He was married September 07, 1884, to Mary N. Boyd, daughter of Charles and Susan (Atkinson) Boyd. They have twelve children living, one dead: Alva Earl, born June 28, 1774, died December 17, 1888; Enola B, September 15, 1887; John J., December 01, 1889; Frances E., December 29, 1891; Charles B, November 16, 1893; Robert B, September 15, 1895; William W, May 29, 1897; Mary M, April 25, 1899; James C December 22, 1900; Allen G. Jr., November 08, 1902; Madge N. July 12, 1907; *Geanell E, April 20, 1909. Mrs. McClelland was born June 06, 1864 at Lineville Iowa. Mr. McClelland moved with his parents to Decatur, Iowa, when only one year old. They lived there two years, then went to Fairfield Iowa, remaining there until the spring of 1866, when they moved to Adair County, Missouri. He lived at home till about grown, then went into the railroad train service, working for several different companies. He worked at this for thirteen years, then in February 1889, quit railroading, returned to Adair County, and resumed the occupation of farming. He has been there since that time. In 1904 he formed a partnership with Dr. Halladay, in his big farm. They own 480 acres, eight miles northeast of Kirksville. The home is no doubt the best country home in this county, or one of the best in North Missouri. It has twelve rooms besides basement, all of them large. It is thoroughly modern in every way, having its own light, heat and water plants. There are two bathrooms, concrete walks, fountains, etc. He raises Shorthorn and Hereford cattle (running a dairy), and Berkshire hogs. ["The History of Adair County Missouri" by E.M. Violette (1911) Submitted by Desiree Rodcay]
Robert A. McCartney
Was born in Washington County, Penn., February 4, 1835, and is a son of Robert and Barbara (Allen) McCartney, both natives of Scotland, where they were married. They came to the United States in 1833, and first located in Pennsylvania afterwards going to Iowa in 1853, where they lived (in Decatur County) until 1858. The father then returned to Pennsylvania, where he now resides, having lost his wife while in Iowa. To their union three sons and three daughters were born: John A., Janet (wife of J.H. Hamilton), Robert A., Thomas H. (deceased), Grace (deceased wife of Turner Swain) and Elizabeth (deceased). Robert A. was reared in his native State and county and there learned the carder and spinner's trade, at which he worked until 1853 in Pennsylvania. He then followed his parents to Iowa, and farmed worked at his trade until coming to Missouri in 1871. Here he worked at a woolen mill in Bethany until 1878, and then came to Princeton and managed the carding and spinning machine of J.P. Anderson until 1884. At that time the woolen mills were built, and Mr. McCartney has since operated them successfully, and become a business partner of Mr. Anderson. While in Iowa he married Catherine Mills, a native of New York who died in 1878 leaving three children: Frank L., Herbert C. and Roy Clifford. Mr. McCartney is a Republican, and one of the well to do and respected citizens of Princeton. [Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Goodspeed Publishing, 1888; Submitted by Melody Beery]
Justin T. McCarty
Farmer and stock dealer, was born in Illinois, August 7 1846. His father, Cornelius McCarty, was born in North Carolina in 1792. He immigrated to Ohio, where he lived until 1830, when he went to Illinois, and settled on a farm in Menard County. He resided there a few years and then removed to Mason County where he died in 1873. His wife, Jennie (Bell) McCarty, was born in 1802 in North Carolina, and died in Mason County, Ill., in 1864. Justin T. remained at home until after the death of his mother, when he lived alone with a brother until he married, after which he still remained at home about three years. He then lived at different places until 1876, then came to Mercer County, Mo. and located upon his present farm in Somerset Township. He now owns 680 acres of good land, and buys and sells stock extensively. He was married in 1865 to Miss Lillie, daughter of Robert Rogers, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1816, and was an early settler of Ohio County, Ind., where he married Jane Blue, a native of Ohio. Mrs. Rogers died in Ohio County, Ind., but the circumstances surrounding the death of her husband remain shrouded in mystery. To the union of our subject and his wife nine children have been born, eight now living: Minnie (wife W. H. Cochell), Robert, Rose, Charles, John, Annie, May, Cora and Mary C. Miss Rose is seventeen years of age, well advanced in music, of which she is a teacher, and is endowed with natural artistic talents. Mr. McCarty is a Republican, but has never sought political honors, and is a well respected man in his county. [Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Goodspeed Publishing, 1888; Submitted by Melody Beery]
William H. McKinley
Was born in Logan County, Ill, April 1, 1842. His father , William R., was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, January 9, 1804, and resided in his native State until 1840, and then went to Logan County, Ill, where he remained until 1855. He then came to Mercer County, Mo. and located upon a farm which now forms the present site of Ravanna. He laid out the original plat of Ravanna, and resided in that vicinity until his death, which occurred on December 5, 1876. His wife,and the mother of William H., was born in Pennsylvania in 1802, and accompanied her sister to Ohio, where she was married in 1826. Her death occurred in Ravanna January 19, 1874. William H. made his home with his parents until his marriage. In August, 1862, he listed in the Second Missouri, Merrill's Horse, Cavalry Division, Seventh Army Corps, participating in Steel's Little Rock and later Camden campaign, after which he was commissioned first lieutenant of Company F, Fourth Arkansas Cavalry volunteer, in which he erved until the close of the war. Then her returned home, and April 1, 1867, married Emma Drake, daughter of James T. and Catherine (Sneath) Drake. This union has been blessed with the following children: Orin S., William J., Charley, Robert D., Ralph (deceased), Emma, Wade K., Grace. Immediately after his marriage Mr. McKinley moved to and began to improve the farm upon whichc he now resides. He owns 480 acres of good land, all well improved and cultivated, making one of the best farms in the vicinity. His occupation is that of farming and stock raising. His first presidential vote was cast for Lincoln, and he has been a hearty supporter of the Republican party, which he served as deputy circuit clerk under W.L. Jerome. He is an F.&A.M. and a member of the G. A. R. of which he was once the secretary. He and his wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church. [Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Goodspeed Publishing, 1888; Submitted by Melody Beery]
is a native of Sevier County, Tenn., was born in 1830, and is a son of William and Martha (George) Mulvaney. The father was of Irish English descent, and born in Tennesssee in 1803. In 1850 he immigrated to Mercer County, and located in Morgan Township, where our subject now resides. He was a successful farmer, and at one time owned 200 acres of land. He served as corporal of a company in the Mexican War for twelve months, and died in 1884. Martha (George) Mulvaney was born in Sevier County, Tenn. in 1805 and died in 1878. She was the mother of eight children, seven of whom are living: Sarah Ann (wife of Henry Lewis), Jesse, Polly (wife of Joseph Mason), Alexander, John, Patsey (wife of Isaac Overton) and William.
Jesse was twenty years old when he came to Mercer County and he then entered forty acres of land near the old homestead. In 1856 he located upon his present place where he has since lived, and which contains 200 acres of well cultivated land, making Mr. Mulvaney one of the substanial farmers of the township. In 1854 he married Miss Elizabeth Ann Constable, daughter of William and Martha Constable. Mrs. Mulvaney was born October 2, 1833 and came to Mercer County when seven years old. To her union with our subject four children have been born: William, Amanda (wife of Huston Holmes), Sarah (wife of Calvin Cordle) and Albert. In politics Mr. Mulvaney is a Democrat. Mrs. Mulvaney is a member of the Baptist Church.
Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Missouri, Goodspeeds, 1881
a substantial merchant of Ravanna, was born in Westmorland County, Penn. May 20, 1854, and is a son of John and Christena (Smail) Painter. The father is also a native of Westmorland County, and at present a resident of Ravanna Township, whither he came in the fall of 1866. His life long occupation has been that of farming. The mother was born in the same county as her husband and is a member of the Lutheran Church. Hiram is the second of a family of six children and received his early education at the public schools of Mercer County. At the age of nineteen he began to teach during the winter months and to devote his time to farming during the summer months. This he continued until September, 1886, when he came to Ravanna and established a grocery store, his intention being to keep a first class stock of fine and staple groceries, crockery, cutlery, etc. He is one of the young and enterprising merchants of the town, and endeavors in every way to please his customers and supply their wants.
In 1878 he married Bessie Drake, daughter of James Drake, of Mercer County, and to this union five children have been born: Allie M., Ralph E., John, James T., and Volney F. Mrs. Painter is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Mr. Painter is a Republican and takes an acitve interest in the welfare of his county.
Source: History of Harrison and Mercer Counties, Missouri, Goodspeeds, 1881
William F. Ray
William Franklin Ray is one of the respected and well known men of Coos county, living upon his well developed ranch of one hundred and sixty acres, located three miles from Cooston up Willanche inlet. He was born in Mercer county, Missouri, in 1854, and is a son of Wade Hampton and Mary E. (Clenkenbeard) Ray, the former a native of Tennessee and the latter of Kentucky. The parents of the father and also of the mother removed at a very early day and settled in southwestern Missouri, where Mr. and Mrs. Wade Hampton Ray celebrated their wedding, after which they removed to northeastern Missouri, at which place occurred the birth of the subject of this review. They became the parents of twelve children, four of whom died in infancy. The eldest of those living is James S., a resident of New Windsor, Colorado, who is engaged in farming, is married and has nine children. John M., a resident of Leon, Kansas, is a blacksmith by trade, and has one son. Mary E., the widow of James H. Hurst, of Almena, Kansas, is the mother of six children. William F. is the subject of this review. Richard B., a resident of Norton, Kansas, is married and has five children. Calvin J., a resident of Norway, Oregon, who is engaged in farming, is married and has eight children. Sarah E., the widow of Ede F. Milton, is engaged in farming in Weiser, Idaho, and has eight children. Wade L., the youngest member of the family, who is engaged in farming at Myrtle Point, Oregon, is married and has six children. William Franklin Ray was reared at home and received his early education in the public schools. At the age of thirteen years he started in life for himself obtaining as his first employment, a position as cattle herder, for which he received a compensation of eight dollars per month. He continued in that employment for two years and then was engaged as laborer on a farm for a number of years. In 1876 he rented eighty acres of land for one year and engaged in farming. The following year he rented forty acres, to the cultivation of which he gave his attention for one year and in 1878 he took up a timber claim in Kansas, which he kept for sometime and later filed upon a preemption claim and also a homestead. In 1887 he disposed of his real-estate holdings in Kansas and removed to Garfield county, Washington, and was there employed for one year in a sawmill. The next year he was engaged in the butcher business, and later he and his wife successfully conducted a boarding house in Spokane Washington, immediately after the destruction of that city. In 1890 he removed to Coos bay and settled in Marshfield, where he worked for E. A. Anderson in the livery business for four years. He then rented a ranch located on Isthmus inlet and was engaged in general farming for one year. In 1895 he rented the ranch belonging to Judge Watson, of Coos City, for whom he established a well equipped dairy. In 1896 he purchased one hundred and sixty acres of choice agricultural land located on Willanche inlet and there established his home and has since continued to reside. He makes a specialty in the raising and marketing of poultry and is also heavily interested in the raising of pure bred angora goats and beef cattle.
In 1884 Mr. Ray was united in marriage to Miss Laura H. Rouse, a native of Iowa and a daughter of John and Hannah (Straight) Rouse, the former a native of Ohio and the latter of New York. They became the parents of ten children: Joanna, deceased; J. Smith, named in honor of Captain John Smith, who came over in the Mayflower and was the captain of the Plymouth Colony settlement made in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1620; O. T., of Spokane, Washington; Mary, who married George Finley, of Finley, Washington, and by him has one child; Andrew M., deceased; James P., a resident of Jennings, Kansas, who is married and has five children; William M., who resides in Nebraska; Laura H., who is the wife of the subject of this review; Frank, who resides in Greenwood, Nebraska, and has five children; and Ella, who married Mr. Sims, of Washington, and by him has four children. Mrs. Ray has the distinction of being a direct descendant of Captain John Smith of Mayflower fame. Mr. and Mrs. William Franklin Ray have a son, Austin A. Ray, who was born in 1885. Mr. Ray gives his political allegiance to the socialist party and served for three years as road supervisor of his district and has also been one of the directors of the school board for a number of years. He is also a member of the Grange. Mr. Ray is one of the enterprising and valued citizens of the community in which he lives. He is a man of strict integrity in all business transactions and highly respected by his friends and associates. ["The Centennial History of Oregon", 1811-1912, Volume 4, By Joseph Gaston, 1912 -- Sub. by K.T.]
Henry Alvin Rhoades and Frances Mary Wright
Henry Alvin Rhoades was born 20 August 1883 in Mercer, Mercer County, Missouri to Richard Alvin Rhoades and Chloa Melvina Leasure. Frances Mary “Fanny” Wright was born in Topsy, Mercer County, Missouri to Marion Frances Wright and Gabriella Amizette Michael. Henry and Frances were married in Topsy, Mercer County, Missouri 22 September 1904, by Robert Miller, Justice of the Peace. The marriage was recorded in Princeton, Mercer County, Missouri by Schuyler King. Frances was under the age of eighteen, and her mother (signed as Gay Rhoades) gave assent to the marriage. (Gabriella “Gay” had married John Wesley Jones, then Richard Alvin Rhoades, father of Henry in 1902).
In the 1900 census, Henry lived in Mercer County, Missouri, with his father, Richard Alvin Rhoades, a widow with five children in the home; Henry Alvin, Dora Jane, Leeta Mae, Levi Everett and Homer Clellan. This was the second time his father lost a wife. His first wife, Yerrina Frances Garrett died in childbirth of twins 05 April 1881. She left him with three small children; Saphronia Agnes, Lila Isabelle and Albert. One daughter, Mary Elizabeth died in infancy and twin daughters, Irene and Chloe, died at birth. By the 1910 census, Henry and Frances were living in Medicine Township, Mercer County, Missouri and had three children; (Claude Shelby, Leeta Mae and Wilvia Faye). The Draft Registration card, dated 12 September 1918, shows Henry Alvin Rhoades farming for J.F. Watson and Sons and living in Harris, Sullivan County, Missouri. It states he was short, medium built with brown hair and grayish brown eyes. The 1920 census has the family listed in Medicine Township, Mercer County, Missouri with nine children, (Claude Shelby, Leeta Mae, Wilvia Faye, Ira Everett, Clifford, Eleanor Melvina, Wayne Alvin, James Urcel and Floyd Willard). When the 1930 census was taken, the couple were in Grant Township, Dekalb County, Missouri with twelve children; (Ira Everett, Clifford, Eleanor Melvina, Wayne Alvin, James Urcel, Floyd Willard, Frances Ruth, Max Floy, Coda Ray, Cecil Clyde, Wanda Irene and Naurene June). Wilvia Faye had died 04 May 1923 with a bowel obstruction, due to adhesions and appendicitis. Claude Shelby had died 30 June 1925 from a fractured skull as a result of an auto accident. They were both buried in Lebanon Baptist Cemetery, in Hemple, Dekalb County, Missouri. There were three children born after 1930; (Elizabeth Viola, Jean and Jackie Don) making a total of eighteen children.
Leeta Mae was married before 1930 to Sherman Clyde Phillips (by whom she had two sons and one daughter). Ira Everett was a prisoner of war, liberated 08 June 1945 and had never married. Clifford married Alma Fern Burchett and had two sons. Eleanor Melvina “Susie” married later in life and had no children. Wayne Alvin married Constance Evangelina Baker and adopted a son and a daughter. James Urcel was married a short time to Blanche Standish, before marrying Maxine Faye Dunham, by whom he has three sons and two daughters. He later married Mary Jane Dixon, no children. Floyd Willard “Bob” married Dorothy Lee “Dot” Young and had four sons. Frances Ruth married John Donald Dyas and had two sons and two daughters. Max Floy married Hazel Rolland and had two daughters, then married Mildred in later life. Coda Ray married Paula Jean McNatt and had one daughter. Cecil Clyde married Dorothy Elizabeth Hanks and had two sons and two daughters. Wanda Irene married Russell McNatt and had one daughter, then married Melvin E. Archer and had four sons and three daughters by this marriage. Naurene June “Renie” married Edward James Hill and had one son and two daughters. She married three more times with no children, to Homer Clayton “Hap” Lyons, Charles Roney and James F. Hasney. Elizabeth Viola “Betty” married Marvin D. Archer. She married second to Thurman Lee Mott and had two sons. She married Lloyd Green and Eugene Bridges later in life. Jean married Raymond Eugene Smith and had six daughters. Jackie Don married Diane Lee Young and had one son and one daughter. He married Carolyn Ann Cheek and had two sons and three daughters. Henry Alvin Rhoades died in Cameron Hospital, Cameron, Clinton County, Missouri 29 September 1952 of cardiac failure and arteriosclerosis. Frances Mary Wright Rhoades died 01 April 1966 at her home in Hamilton, Caldwell County, Missouri of cerebral hemorrhage and hypertension. She also suffered with diabetes mellitus and had one leg amputated, below the knee due to gangrene. [contributed by: Barbara]
© Genealogy Trails