The Congregation of Disciples at Paris.
This congregation was organized March 10, 1832, with seven members, only one of whom survives (Abernathy) to-day. They now occupy their third house of worship, which is a structure of modern design, built of brick with four rooms, viz.: class-room, dressing-room, pastor's study and experience-room. The latter has a seating capacity of 450. The class-room can be used in conjunction with the audience department, which enables the church to seat comfortably about 600. The baptistery is just to the left of the pulpit and under the platform, but entered from the study in a very convenient way. The building is gothic in design throughout, with windows of beautiful stained cathedral glass, and was built at a cost of about $11,000. The congregation has had seven regular pastors, three of whom survive: Alexander Proctor, J. W. Mountjoy and H. B. Davis, the last named being the present incumbent. The present membership is about 250. The names of Alfred Wilson, Henry Thomas, A. H. Rice and Thos. Allen are revered by those who survive them, as ministers who labored faithfully and successfully among them. Also Peter Donan did noble service for the Master in their community. The following are the names of the charter members: J. C. Fox and wife, Jno. Forman and wife, J. R. Abernathy, John Shoot and wife. Marcus Wills is remembered as an efficient minister among this people.
First Baptist Church of Monroe City
The organization of this church was effected January 23, 1869, the original members being as follows: J. M. Proctor and wife, Ellen; T. J. Canterbury and Jennie, his wife; Geo. W. Swan and wife, Eliza; Wm. B. White and his daughters, Gallic M., Anna and Nellie White, and Mrs. J. H. Brown, Mrs. Mary Fuqua, Wm. Ashley and wife, Deborah I.; David Minor and Esther A., his wife; J. A. Peirsol and wife, Susan E.; and Mr. Eaton K. Clark. The erection of a frame church edifice was commenced in the fall of 1869, and was completed and dedicated in the summer of 1870. Its cost was about $1,100. This building has become too small for the congregation and a new brick structure will be put up this year. The estimated cost of this new building is from $5,000 to $6,000. Wm. C. Busby was the first pastor of the church, serving from February, 1869, to February, 1872; he was followed by Pierre K. Ridgely, from February, 1872, to June, 1875, the latter being succeeded by James S. Green, from September, 1875, to the present time. The church now has a membership of 78 - 35 male and 43 female members. A Sunday-school has been sustained since the organization of the church. The superintendent is Thomas Proctor. The church officers have been: Clerks, G. W. Swan (at organization), R. B. Bristow, J. W. Paul and J. A. Peirsol; Treasurers: P. A. Pendleton and J. M. Proctor. The present officers are: Clerk, J. A. Peirsol; treasurer, J. M. Proctor; deacons, J. M. Proctor, J. A. Peirsol, L. C. Burdil, George Lee and R. D. Woods. This church, while not having had such an extensive career, has been uniformly progressive and is now in a good spiritual condition. The only ordination which has occurred here was that of Pierre R. Ridgely, February 24, 1872.
Bethel Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Is located at Holliday, and was organized between 1830 and 1840. Rev. Jas. Sharp is pastor at this time. The church house is a frame structure about 32x40 feet in size. A Sabbath-school of from 50 to 75 scholars is maintained here.
Shiloh Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Is situated about four miles west of Paris. It was organized about 1878 or 1879, and now has some 70 members. Rev. T. W. Baker has been pastor ever since its organization. A Sunday school is held regularly.
Bluff Springs Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Is situated about seven miles south-east of Paris. The congregation are removing and rebuilding a church at this date, August, 1884.
The A. M. E. Church (Methodist)
Was organized by I. N. Triplitt in the year 1870. Those who have served as pastors are as follows: J. W. Shropshire, six months; D. Bell and H. H. Triplitt, each one year; W. Martin, two years; F, M. Dale, J. Thomas and H. H. Triplitt, each one year; J. R. Loving, two years; J. P. Watson, three years, and R. H. Congdon, two years, and now the pastor. The membership at present is 75. Their house was built in the year 1880 by J. P. Watson, and in size is 34x48, and 14 feet high, costing about $1,200.
Colored Baptist Church.
The Second Baptist Church of Paris (colored) was organized in 1867. The pastors here have been James Hawkins, Clay Vaughn, Wm. P. Brooks and James Hawkins, who is now the pastor. The brick church edifice which they occupy is 36x60 feet in dimensions and is valued at $1,200. It was built in 1864 by the Old School Baptists (white) and purchased by the colored church in 1880.
[Source: History of Monroe and Shelby Counties Missouri 1884]
Transcribed by Jan Grant, proof read by Sandra Stutzman
© Genealogy Trails