Is situated in the eastern part of the State, on the
north shore of the Missouri river.
This county was created from St. Charles, in 1818,
and some of the most daring battles fought between the pioneers and
the savages occurred upon territory now embraced within its limits.
The northern portion of the county is level
prairie-the southern broken timberland.
Cannel coal has been found in considerable
quantities near Danville, and bituminous coal near Wellsville, is
very abundant. The whole county is under laid with coal. There are
fine springs, good building stone, clay for bricks, etc. The soil is
generally fertile, and adapted to all the purposes of agriculture.
Stock growing could be profitably conducted. Having the Missouri
river on the south, for shipment, and being traversed by the North
Missouri railroad, the county possesses superior commercial
facilities. Population in 1860, 7,363. [Source
is: P.M. Pinckard, The Missouri handbook, St. Louis,
Bellflower * High Hill * Jonesburg *
McKittrick * Middletown * Montgomery City * New Florence * Rhineland
Big Springs * Bluffton * Buell * Danville * Gamma *
Liege * Mineola * Montgomery * New Hartford * Prices Branch *