Missouri State Genealogy
Map from Wikimedia; Designed by John Hamer
Data transcribed by C. Horton -2009
Mormon War Locations
The site selected May 19, 1838, by the Prophet Joseph and a number of other brethren for the building of a city, to be called Adam-ondi-Ahman, consisted of four sections of land -two miles square, lying on both sides of Grand Riverónamely Sections 25 and 36, in Range 28, and Sections 30 and 31, in Range 27, all in Township 60. Shortly afterwards the town site was surveyed. The remains of the ancient altar mentioned in the history of Joseph Smith are yet to be found on the top of the bill, about two hundred yards east of the old Lyman Wight residence in the southwest quarter of Section 80. It is about 5 miles north-west of Gallatin, on the north side of Grand River.
[The Historical Record; Andrew Jenson, Utah, 1886 ]
Battle of Crooked River
Far West Militia Captain David W. Patten an apostle, pursued a renegade hand of Missouri militia overnight to the Crooked River in northern Ray
County where, at dawn on October 25, they clashed. Two died on the battlefield, one on each side, and two mortally wounded Saints died soon
after, including Patten. [Encyclopedia of Mormonism; Macmillian's 1922]
- The Missouri headquarters of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1836-1839, and the county seat of Caldwell County, Missouri, from 1836-1843,
was pleasantly situated on rising ground in the western part of the county. The Temple site, which was on the public square in the centre of the town, is 1J miles south of Shoal Creek and the same distance north of Goose Creek, or 3 miles northwest of the junction of these two streams. It is 5J miles in a straight line north- west of where Kingston, the present county seat, now stands, 41/2 miles northeast of the little town of Mirabile, 91/2 miles northeast of Polo, on the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Ry., 9 miles southwest of Hamilton and about the same distance south- east of Cameron (Clinton Co.), both on the St. Joseph & Hannibal Ry. It is 4 miles east of the boundary line between Caldwell and Clinton Counties, 8 miles south of the Daviess County southern boundary line, and 10 miles north of the boundary line between Ray and Caldwell Counties. It is also 30 miles in a straight line northwest of Richmond, Ray Co., 35 miles northeast of Liberty, Clay County, 45 miles north-east of Independence, Jackson Co., 40 miles southeast of St. Joseph, on the Missouri River, and 150 miles southwest of Quincy, 111., on the Mississippi River. The municipal name of the township in which Far West was located is Mirabile.
The original town site of Far West was a mile square, and the numbers of the land comprising the original plat were the southwest quarter of Section 11, southeast quarter of Section 10, northeast quarter of Section 15 and northwest quarter of Section 14, all in Township 56, Range 29. Subsequently the town was extended so as to contain all of Sections 11, 10, 15 and 14, making the city plat just two miles square.
The site of Far West was selected by W. W. Phelps and John Whitmer, constituting an exploring committee sent out by the Saints in Clay County to find a new location where they could live in peace. The committee came out in the summer of 1836, rode for several days through the territory now embraced in Caldwell, Clinton and Daviess Counties, and finally made choice of the prairie between Shoal Creek and Goose Creek, where Far West subsequently was built. The town site was entered Aug. 8, 1836 ; the north half was entered in the name of W. W. Phelps and the south half in the name of John Whitmer, but these two brethren merely held the land in trust for the Church. In the following month (September, 1838) the Saints commenced to pour in from Clay County, and soon a village of respectable proportions sprang up where the wild prairie grass waved tall and luxuriant. In the centre of the town a large public square was laid off approached by four main roads running east and west, north and south, each 132 feet wide. All the other streets were 824 feet wide, and they, as well as the four principal avenues, crossed each other at right angles, forming blocks 396 feet square (containing four acres) divided into four lots each. [The Historical Record; Andrew Jenson, Utah, 1886 ]
-On the thirtieth of October an engagement was fought at Haun's Mill on Shoal Creek, south of Beckenridge. At that point a "Mormon" outpost entrenched in the mill and a blacksmith shop was attacked by the Livingston County militia under Captain Comstock. After a brief struggle the "Mormons" threw down their arms in token of surrender, but one of the militiamen, being savagely wounded, his comrades were so enraged that their officer was unable to check them until eighteen of the "Mormons" were killed and a number wounded. Haun, tho proprietor of the mill, was killed and with the rest of the dead buried in a well that stood near by.
[The Missouri Persecutions, Elder B. H. Roberts;Utah; 1900]
- A town mentioned in Church history as the headquarters of the mob who drove the Saints from their homes in Daviess County in 1838-39,was located on what is now known as The Stephen Smith farm, at a point three miles due east of Gallatin, across Grand River, and between that stream and Big Muddy Creek, on Section 23. Township 59 of Range 27. The municipal name of the township is Union. The distance between Millport and Adam-ondi-Ahman, both on the cast side of Grand River, was about seven miles.
[The Historical Record; Andrew Jenson, Utah, 1886 ]
The Crooked River Battle
Late in the evening of October 24, 1838, news reached Far West, Caldwell Co., Mo., that the Rev. Samuel Bogart with a mob of about seventy -five men were committing depredations on Log Creek, destroying property and taking prisoners. On hearing the report, Elias Higbee, the first judge of the county, ordered Lieutenant-Colonel Geo. M. Hinkle, the highest officer in command in Far West, to raise a force to disperse the mob and retake their prisoners, whom, it was reported, they intended to murder that night. The trumpet sounded, and the brethren assembled on the public square about midnight. Captain D. W. Patten, P. P. Pratt and C. C. Rich, with about forty others, volunteered, which number the judge thought sufficient, but upon the suggestion of Brother Rich, who believed a battle was inevitable, more men were raised by him in the small settlements on Goose and Log Creek, which increased the force to about seventy-five men when they all met together about six miles from Far West. The company was divided into small companies of ten, and then proceeded by the main road, four miles, to a point near Crooked River. [The Historical Record; Andrew Jenson, Utah, 1886]
Missouri State Genealogy Trails
Genealogy Trails History Group is a Volunteer Organization Dedicated to providing FREE access to Historical and Genealogical Data.
© 2006 - 2008 by Genealogy Trails - All Rights Reserved - With full rights reserved for original submitters.