Nodaway County, Missouri
County organized in 1845.
Named after the Nodaway River.
The County seat is Maryville.
Maryville was organized on February 14, 1845.
It was named after the first Caucasian women to have lived within the boundaries of this site, Mrs. Mary Graham, wife of Amos Graham, then county clerk.
Is situated in what is known as "The Platte Country," in the northwestern part of the State.
It embraces both prairie and timber; the soil is fertile, undulating, and some portions broken.
As to fertility, the soil is hardly surpassed in the State.
The county is well watered by the Platte, Hundred-and-Two, and Nodaway, each affording excellent water power for manufactories and mills. Farmers, stock growers, manufacturers and mechanics will here find attractive inducements for investment and business.
Population in 1860, 5,136.
[Source: P.M. Pinckard, The Missouri Handbook, St. Louis, 1865, 162 pgs.; Transcribed by Donna Walton]
Cities/ Towns / Villages
Arkoe * Barnard * Burlington Junction * Clearmont * Clyde * Conception Junction * Elmo * Graham *
Guilford * Hopkins * Maryville * Parnell * Pickering * Quitman * Ravenwood * Skidmore
Atchison Township - Grant Township - Green Township - Hughes Township - Jefferson Township
Monroe Township - Nodaway Township - Cloud Township
P. O. Box 218
Maryville, MO 64468-0218
Phone: (660) 582-2251